Networked Media Tank
I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Printable Version

+- Networked Media Tank (http://www.networkedmediatank.com)
+-- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=96)
+--- Forum: Archive (Read Only) (/forumdisplay.php?fid=97)
+---- Forum: Archive Popcornhour NMT Mediaplayers A-110 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=65)
+---- Thread: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 (/showthread.php?tid=13851)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - dennis013 - 01-03-2009 01:00 AM

i'm getting quit frustrated with the buggyness of the Popcorn a-110.
I don't know how many times it happened by now that i am watching a movie with my girlfriend and then -all of a sudden- the sound of the movie stops! Or... the movie itself stops completely.
Then i must power off the PCH-a110 and wait for it to boot.... Then i have to find the point in the movie where it stopped...

That is just crap. I read many posts here with many users complaining... And then i read the responses about solving the different frame-rates and sound bitrates problem with workaround fixes which are so difficult, any normal person spends at least an hour on them... I mean... It just have to work!. I must say, I paid 250 euro for this device and it looks looks like a hobby project and it works like a hobby project. I don't want fiddle around 20-30 minutes before i can watch a movie. The remote control feels and responds sluggish. You never know if the button you pressed actually did anything. I'm always preparing for the thing to break down. Playing a directory of mp3's takes almost a minute before the next file can play. Panning and zooming JPG's makes the image go black and white. There is no DTS playback. You can't skip through pages, only files.. making scrolling through larger file structures nearly impossible. It hangs so many times it is just bizar.

But the real stress is in setting up the network. I have two machines running vista. Both of them are communicating perfectly in between with wireless N-connections, but the popcorn hour cannot see the contents of one of the machine's. I even laid a 25 meter utp cable through the house hoping it would improve playback... But there are so many problems....
I do know how to share directory's. It is very easy, but it just don't work properly with the PCH A110.

I would like to add something to my list... I just installed a HD. The way you secure in in the box is just archaic and it makes the box vibrates immediately. Only way to cure this is to make something from foam yourself and stick it under the unit with tape.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Fanfan - 01-03-2009 01:17 AM

Dennis,

I fully agree with you...

I tried an A100 one year ago, and returned it to its owner, being very disapointed.
Now, one year after, I took the risk to buy an A110, hoping that one year would have been enough for Syabas to debug their box...

Apparently, syabas team still do not use their own box at home, otherwise they would have all abandonned the company... haaa.. they did left the company ?... and that's why there are no longer any developper in Syabas ? ;-)

They becane an only financial team, dreaming of being a reference design without any software development ... good luck guys...
Come on, Syabas, any change to get a debugged version before one more year ?
At least at the level of decidong you once did 5 years ago (and obviously forgot) on 8550 chipsets ? ;-)

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - dennis013 - 01-03-2009 01:29 AM

thanks for taking the time to make this reply.
I hope you are wrong, but you sound like you know what you are talking about

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - aibo99 - 01-03-2009 03:09 AM

Hello, Dennis,

I absolutely agree with him.

Recently, the HDMI port and the HD audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD) problem makes me crazy Angry

It's not a entertainment. It look likes some bloody debugging processes to me.

I need to investigate the video/audio formats, encoding parameters, connection between AVR/TV, and to remux the clips by myself to test. In fact, it should be the responsibilities of the Syabas team Angry

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - AlexNC - 01-03-2009 04:55 AM

I have an internal hard drive, ripped all my DVD's using DVDfab 5 (some with Handbrake), and have never had any issues.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - calvfoo - 01-03-2009 05:13 AM

Hi guys,

I have the A110 for more than 1/2 a year now.
It is working perfectly for me.
I use the bittorrent feature to download movies into the local HDD, and then playback from the internal HDD.

No problem so far for Divx files.

As for mkv files, some files need to be remuxed, and then there is no problem.

I don't use the mp3 player or other internet services offered by the PCH because I don't find it good enough.

But, on the sluggishness, I tend to agree with you. Sometimes the set is a bit slow but I can live with that.

br,
calvin

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Violent Ken - 01-03-2009 05:13 AM

if you are having the sound or video drop out for no apparent reason i would suggest it has something to do with your files, not the PCH

post more details about your problems and people here will help, because believe me, this is a very powerful and STABLE machine in my experience.
it's the getting started that is tough.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - halfelite - 01-03-2009 05:14 AM

I just got mine and set it up although there is some issues with setting up the network shares. i have watched 3 movies all the way through both xvid and dvdr iso. I watched a few x264 anime episodes and havent had any freezing problems at all. all media has played nice and smooth. I agree the box isnt 100% and isnt for the people that just want to plug and play Browsing directory's could be faster. Also did you take the plastic paper paper off the front panel. I left mine on for awhile and it made the remote suck even worse. Once i took it off it got a little better response. I even tried it with the front panel removed and it work even better. I knew full well going into this that it was 100%

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - cheaper_popcorn - 01-03-2009 07:52 AM

I was a newbie once too, and thought it was a hassle to get things to work as I wanted them to. So I agree it's true that if you aren't already quite a bit more tech savvy than the average computer user your age, then you will have some learning ahead of you before you can enjoy your NMT to its full potential.

But don't give up before you've started.

Quote:I don't know how many times it happened by now that i am watching a movie with my girlfriend and then -all of a sudden- the sound of the movie stops! Or... the movie itself stops completely.

I can understand how frustrating this must be, but again - this is not normal behaviour experienced by every user. As others have said above, most users have stable units that do not behave in this way.

The symptom suggests there is a problem, either with your files or somewhere in your setup - it is of course possible the NMT is at fault, but before you jump to conclusions you should try to eliminate other potential problems that could be causing this to happen. If you want to solve the problem, be patient, ask questions, and most importantly, provide as much info as you can about your setup and the files you are playing when the problem occurs. If you don't think the help you can get in this forum is enough, you can always register at the official support website.

Quote:I read many posts here with many users complaining...

That is the nature of web forums. Those who don't experience problems tend to not write much. And the fact that somebody complains does not -always- mean that their complaints are justified. Fairly often complaints occur because of having incomplete information or misunderstandings.

Quote:And then i read the responses about solving the different frame-rates and sound bitrates problem with workaround fixes which are so difficult, any normal person spends at least an hour on them... I mean... It just have to work!

I agree it would be nice, but there are no devices in the market that provide that type of service for all the file formats the NMT platform supports. Further, in the next firmware there will be an auto framerate feature that solves many of these problems. So sit tight for a while and you'll see it gets better.

Quote:The remote control feels and responds sluggish. You never know if the button you pressed actually did anything.

To improve remote control reception there are a few things you can do. The most obvious ones are distance and obstructions. Another thing is to check that the remote control receiver inside the NMT is flush with the window on the front panel. To carefully make it more flush with the front panel can help a bit. Yet another thing you can do is to apply a bit of nail polish remover onto a cotton bud, and very carefully and gently dissolve the clear lacquer on the inside of the front panel window. [WARNING: This may void the warranty so if you are worried about that, don't do it. I did it anyway.]

My unit responds very well to remote commands now. I can even point the remote in the opposite direction of the NMT and it still receives the command okay.

Quote:Playing a directory of mp3's takes almost a minute before the next file can play.

Not on my NMT, the waiting time in between songs is one or two seconds only. Not sure what the reason for the difference is.

Quote:You can't skip through pages, only files..

It's true the browsing is a bit slow and not the best, especially not for music and photos, but it is being worked on and gradually improved.

Have you tried to use the Page up and Page down buttons to scroll through pages instead of files?

Quote:But the real stress is in setting up the network. I have two machines running vista. Both of them are communicating perfectly in between with wireless N-connections, but the popcorn hour cannot see the contents of one of the machine's. I even laid a 25 meter utp cable through the house hoping it would improve playback... But there are so many problems....

Sure, networking can be a hassle too. It took me a long time to get my network setup working too. If you take the time to explain your setup in detail and ask for advice, I am sure you can get help to make it work.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Sauron76 - 01-03-2009 09:24 AM

Dunno what happen to your PCH, mate but mine is great. I've manage to play The Matrix trilogy 1080p back to back without any issue. I can also play entire season 4 of Prison Break non stop without any issue. Probably you should download the new firmware or if you've done so, just download some older firmware to see if the problem still happens.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Turist - 01-03-2009 09:58 AM

cheaper_popcor, thread starter overreacted a little bit, but he is generally right. users of pch will discover a lot of different issues they would not see when using htpc for example. i understand, that htpc is much more flexible, but...

my last 2c to this thread: i think pch-guys should first fix bugs and only after it add nice-to-have features to the firmware.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Willem53 - 01-03-2009 10:19 AM

Well I think NMT is the way to go......and YES it's a bit of a learning curve for everyone. We are at the frontier of a total new way of using the TV in our homes and we experience all the problems that come with that.
If you cant take that you must wait some years until the companies like Sony and Apple come out with NMT's and start deciding what you pay for viewing or listening to their content...........

Enjoy your freedom while it lasts.....................

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - cheaper_popcorn - 01-03-2009 10:45 AM

(01-03-2009 09:58 AM)Turist Wrote:  cheaper_popcor, thread starter overreacted a little bit, but he is generally right. users of pch will discover a lot of different issues they would not see when using htpc for example. i understand, that htpc is much more flexible, but...

The only way threads like this can become constructive is if they describe specific issues in detail, and those who have constructive suggestions for solutions, provide them.

Otherwise they will just be spaces for people to vent frustration - and many of those who vent and are frustrated, would be less frustrated if they just learned to do the things they want to do.

We've already established that these devices have a learning curve, that they can not do everything you want, that they can be improved, and that some bugs remain.

The next step then, unless our reaction is to sell the device, is to start to see what we can do to make the device behave as close to what we want as possible. This is what I was trying to accomplish with my post by addressing specific issues.

That way we can try to solve the issues, and if they are indeed bugs, they can be forwarded to Syabas.

If they are due to hardware problems, the user can make an RMA to get a faultless device.

Many people fail to see that each setup is unique. We connect different devices, attempt to play different file types and have applied different settings in the menus. Bug reports that do not describe the setup and the circumstances properly are not worth much.

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - Turist - 01-03-2009 12:42 PM

(01-03-2009 10:45 AM)cheaper_popcorn Wrote:  Bug reports that do not describe the setup and the circumstances properly are not worth much.

one of the most frustrating bugs for me is lack of feedback from a110 on files it can not play. i`d suggest something like internal error log/debug information which could be submitted to pch support in case device is not able to play file. Also the issue, when after some failed play attempt all further play attempts fail until reboot - this is awfull. From developers point of view i can understand that "why bother with searching for memory leaks, bugs etc if after reboot it works quite well", but forom consumers point of view its nonsence Smile

PS: i was totally puzzled, why some of my mp3s are not playable on a110 (ok, some of then have russian characters in names, but other do not)

RE: I'm very disappointed with the PCH A110 - daniel_owen_uk - 01-03-2009 01:31 PM

I completely agree, I had a few network issues (completely my fault nothing to do with the PCH), that said the PCH was trying to play a file whilst the network kept dropping, and instead of saying something clever like "The connection to the file you are playing was lost", it just froze.

Proper error handling would solve a lot of users problems, or at least enable them to try and resolve them.