Networked Media Tank
Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - Printable Version

+- Networked Media Tank (http://www.networkedmediatank.com)
+-- Forum: NMT Software & Settings (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Network (NAS, Server, PC ...) (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours (/showthread.php?tid=31932)

Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - bret3d - 11-25-2009 02:09 AM

I have an A-100, an A-110 and just received my C-200 in the mail yesterday. I have lost the ability to Browse SMB servers. I can still type in the address manually, and all streaming of media HD or otherwise, works flawlessly. But when I go to //Network Browser all I see is the NFS Server, no SMB Server option. The same goes for Network Share->browse.

The problem I believe is due to the Windows Vista, Windows 7, or a new Mac I have put on my network. I've turned off all the Media sharing on the Windows boxes but still nothing. This happened in the Summer but with the new device in the house I would really like to Browse to the drives rather than retype them all in again.

I must be doing something stupid and am surprised I couldn't find someone else with this problem. What simple thing must I do?

Thanks.

-Bret

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - Specter - 11-25-2009 05:01 AM

First thing to do is the throw the MAC out the window. No seriously.

Next we want to verify that your trying to browse the contents of the PCH? or or your trying to browse another location from the PCH?

If your browsing to the PCH you will need to install a HDD inside, install the NMT apps and then turn on the SAMBA server.

If your browsing from the PCH it might be a Master browser issue, then you will have to turn off all computers on the network then turn them back on 1 at a time.

It could be a windows 7 issue media sharing issue too so you may want to visit here.

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - bret3d - 11-25-2009 03:35 PM

I'm attempting to browse to other shares on the network. The A-100 and A-110 have hard drives but the C-200's new drive is in the mail at the moment. To be clear I'm attempting to browse to the shares on the PCH A's and on a Windows XP machine and on a Ubuntu machine. The Windows 7 machines I'm not attempting to share, although I can and have before by directly typing the address in the Network Share section. And again, the actual option to browse SMB on all PCH's is missing. What would turn that off? And what are you calling a "Master Browser" issue?

This also occurs on my parent's network with an A-110 I gave to them. I added a Windows Vista running on a Boot Camp'ed Mac Mini when it started. So I'm surprised no one else has run into this.

I will do a shut down test to verify.

Thanks.

-Bret

P.S. I like my Macs. But I really am OS-agnostic.

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - bret3d - 11-25-2009 09:13 PM

Ok, I give up. I removed my C-200 from the network, clicked Maintenance->reset to factory settings, rebooted a couple of times. No avail. Network Share->browse only gives me "01 NFS Server" as an option to browse.

Was the SMB option removed in a firmware update? It would seem awfully strange to do so.

Can you guys still browse by SMB?

-Bret

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - Beck38 - 11-27-2009 04:15 AM

First, figure out who/what machine is your 'browser master' on your network.

Usually, all your Microsoft OS machines will have the Computer Browser Service set for 'Automatic', so that it starts up when the machine is started/booted. All the machines in the network hold a 'poll' to see which one gets to be the 'master', so with your current mix of Vista and W7, it 'should' default to the W7; however, I have several machines, Vista with W2K, and the Vista doesn't grab and lord over the W2K machines, so that is a bit of a 'maybe'.

What the mac does network wise with SMB, I don't know. It's been just about 20 years since I've fooled around with them.

But the basic commands to use (above going to the 'Services' display and verifying that the Browser is 'turned on', so to speak), is the command (used, of course, in a command prompt/dos window),
'net view'.

That will list all the machines on your network; then, on each machine, issue 'nbtstat -a (computer name)' (where computer name is from the net view list), and the machine which 'holds' the browser master 'token' will have a listing of '.._MSBROWSE_.'

If you have a machine that 'runs' 24/7, or for whatever reason, you can turn off the Browser service in machines you want to never be the 'master', and can 'roll' the 'master browser' to the machine you want. I generally keep mine on one machine that runs my voip connection, is on a large UPS power system (therefore '24/7'), and have the Browser service 'turned off' on the other machines.

I hadn't needed to 're-visit' this Browser stuff until I started fooling around with the PCH, since well, way back when with W95! But I have a half-dozen machines on my network, obviously no primary domain controller, and it seemed something was 'confusing' the PCH every once in awhile. Locked the Browser down, and I haven't had a wit of problems for 2-3 months now, despite the fact I 'move' my A-110 from the living room to my master bedroom at least once a week (waiting for the C200 at some point!), and stream 'stuff' from 4 machines PLUS a NAS, soon to be TWO NAS boxes come maybe end of next week delivered (just crushed my Visa a couple days ago on that one!).

Further info, just google 'master browser' and go from there. All the network problems back with W95 (before NT servers) came rushing back into my memory.

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - CrazyBertje - 11-28-2009 07:55 PM

Same here, just updated the firmware on my A-110 and no other network to browse from but the 01 NFS Server.

You got any luck getting it back other than downgrading to an earlier firmware version ?

Thanks,

Bert

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - Willem53 - 11-28-2009 09:28 PM

let it sit for a while or restart the PC's in the network.... there is probably a election being forced for "workgroup manager" and the current workgroup manager (a PC) does not wish to relinquish the role to the PCH...

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - spawn - 11-28-2009 10:06 PM

Please understand that this has NOTHING todo with with NMT's or their firmware !
Nothing is changed in the NMT firmwares, and these are not the cause of these network problems.
Downgrading firmware wont solve these kind of problems

Im not especially any network expert - so any networking experts reading this please excuse the layman explanation and feel free to update with more detailed or specific information (or corrections).

Master brower issues are problems with masterbrowser election on peoples home networks - lots of these issues seem to be caused by introducing windows 7 computers into the home network.

The Master browser are the computer in your network which are responsible for updating the browselist informing every other computer on the SMB network about the connected computers in the network. If this computer is suddenly turned off then the browselist are not available untill another computer on the network take over as browsemaster. If this happens the SMB browser on the NMT's are not available because there are not browsemaster computer turned on to inform about the workgroup computers. It seems that these problems are especially happening as people are adding windows 7 computers to the workgroup, I dont know specifically why, but windows 7 have new networking facilities such as the use of homegroups and 128bit encryption on network sharing and propably other changes which may affect the way simple workgroups and smb sharing and the browser service behave.

Ways to solve this is finding out which computer is browsemaster on the network, using the browstat command tool from the MS support tools (or the netview/nbtstat described by Beck38 in above post), and then making sure this computer is turned on when you want to browse your network. Or manually forcing a specific computer to be browsemaster and then leave this computer turned on whenever you want to browse the network. I have a laptop myself acting as media server for all my networked computers, this is allways turned on and acts as browse master. If I turn it off I instantly lose the ability to browse the network untill I turn it on again, or untill another computer which is turned on take over as browsemaster.

If there is a computer on the network which is normally on most of the time, or all the time, then force this to be browsemaster by setting an IsDomainMaster=TRUE regkey in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters"

Heres code for a regedit text file

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters]
"IsDomainMaster"="TRUE"

There are lots of ressources on the internet regarding the browser service and the browse master role, if interested

start here for instance

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - CrazyBertje - 11-29-2009 12:47 AM

Ok, got it back to normal after resetting my router and probably some reboots of my server.

thanks for the tips.

Bert

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - bret3d - 11-30-2009 09:19 PM

Thanks for the information. I can tell I have master browser issues on my network. I have made an attempt to make one of my pc's the master browser but it hasn't taken yet. I need to do some reboots on all my devices and I have many and they usually are working on something.

If someone could answer this question I would appreciate it. Why does the "Browse SMB Servers" or "Browse Samba Servers" (I forget which it is it's been so long since I've seen it) command disappear from the NMT GUI? I would understand that the browse would return empty if I had master browser issues but the complete absence from the GUI doesn't make sense to me. Plus the fact I can't even get it to show up after disconnecting from my network and rebooting.

Thanks.

-Bret

RE: Lost "Browse SMB Server" option on all Popcorn Hours - Beck38 - 12-01-2009 12:43 AM

(11-30-2009 09:19 PM)bret3d Wrote:  Thanks for the information. I can tell I have master browser issues on my network. I have made an attempt to make one of my pc's the master browser but it hasn't taken yet. I need to do some reboots on all my devices and I have many and they usually are working on something.

If you turn off the browsing service on all machines except the one you want to be master, it will happen virtually instantaneously. If it doesn't, you got some other problem(s) going on, period. You can turn off the service AT ANY TIME no matter what that machine(s) are doing; about the only thing that may interfere with doing this if is something (maybe like the PCH) is trying to hunt out things on the network right at that instantaneous time. Very doubtful.