Networked Media Tank
Plex Client on the PCH - Printable Version

+- Networked Media Tank (http://www.networkedmediatank.com)
+-- Forum: Community Jukebox, Themes, & UserApps Section (/forumdisplay.php?fid=106)
+--- Forum: Other Video & Music or Photo Jukeboxes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Plex Client on the PCH (/showthread.php?tid=53987)

Pages: 1 2

Plex Client on the PCH - rip77 - 08-03-2011 12:14 PM

Hi all
I’ve put together a proof of concept thing for getting plex onto the pch. What it is, is a php server that servers html pages that the pch can access.
What i have so far is the main menu to show the plex sections, movie wall that you can navigate and play a movie from, a TV show wall that still needs work and that’s about it for now.
What I’m hoping to find here is some likeminded people that can help develop this or at the very least get some answers to question about doing html on the pch.
I have this all running on my readyNAS Pro with 9TB and 5 of that filled with media. Plex nine running on top also with the apache server do the web stuff.
I am more than willing to share what I have done so far but i don’t know how to attach files/zips to post yet but I will also be looking into setting up a Google code project or something like that.
I’ll update this post as I go and also once I get the code up on the web.

RE: Plex on the PCH - scyber - 08-04-2011 02:19 AM

I think it might be easier/better to simplify this by using the XML HTTP interface already on the plex server (usually at port 32400). Then you could (in theory) run the php file locally on the PCH to parse the xml and display it the pch. I'm pretty sure the pch webserver supports php. That way you won't need to worry about the apache server on the plex machine. Seems cleaner to me. The only problem I can see is that the pch may be a bit slower processing the php.

As for pch html, its been a while since I've done any, but you may want to take a look at the outputted html from one of the existing jukeboxes. use that as a basis for your HTML. Of course you may want to ask permission from the jukebox dev first.

RE: Plex on the PCH - rip77 - 08-04-2011 10:43 AM

Hi scyber
I’m using the HTTP API interface but still running the server from my NAS as I don’t have a hard drive in my pch.

I’ve got it up on Google code for now @ plexNMT

If I’m stepping on any ones toes by using their images or code I apologies upfront as I have been looking at the yamj out putted page to see how things work.

Still trying to get empty folders to upload to Google, so if you decide to give it a go it will complain about missing folders.

Its in the early stages and if anyone would like to help just let us know.

RE: Plex on the PCH - AlramEast - 08-26-2011 09:27 AM

Will this run on my PCH-A110?
Is there a Plex server to run on the PCH-A110?
Any screenshots of what this looks like on the PCH?

Much interested. Cheers!

RE: Plex on the PCH - rip77 - 08-26-2011 09:36 PM

Don’t know if it would run on a A110, but you could view it on the A110 if you had it running from an apache server on your network. As you just view it as a web service.

As for a plex server running on the A110 don’t think that will ever happen as it looks like there only porting to Intel-based devices. Have a look here plex

I have kind of hit a roadblock in trying to do popup menus that dynamically load xml in the limited html/JavaScript support on the pch and have started to look at doing a flash base app to get what I want.

The php server side jukebox is still alive but I need to rethink how I do the navigation and while I do that I’m spending my spare time (a few hours a week) leaning flash on the pch.

As for screenshots I don’t know if there’s anyways of doing screenshots from the pch unless it’s with a camera, and it doesn’t render right when viewed in a pc bower window. so sorry no screen shots for now

RE: Plex on the PCH - dc11ab - 08-27-2011 11:02 AM

Flashbased apps would mean 200-series only (possibly future models too, I suppose), but the 100-series does not support it.

I've seen popups here and there in the NMT setup menu, but I haven't realized how it's done, and they look rather rudimentary - not sure nice pics etc. can be shown there? Come to think about it, other NMT apps like CSI for NMT, llink etc. uses popups too, text based only as I recall.

RE: Plex on the PCH - rwmanos - 08-27-2011 11:45 AM

Hey Smile great effort . i'll be glad if I can help . Smile

I don't really get it , are you trying to port plex to really run on nmt without the need of any external server. Or just have plex running on a computer and the stream it on nmt. Also are you planning to port the music part of plex too ? (that would be great Tongue )

RE: Plex on the PCH - rip77 - 08-27-2011 09:56 PM

dc11ab
I know flash would exclude the 100-series but I like to learn new things and have never done a flash app, what I have so far look like it would get me closer to what’s in my head of how a plex client would be on the pch.
As for pop-ups all the ones I have looked at just run off predefined arrays which can be done but that requires doing 10+ API calls before displaying the page and that’s just putting too much lag in it for me at this time.

rwmanos
not trying to port the plex server to run on the pch, only trying to build a plex client for the pch maybe I should change the thread title if I can do that. also been a plex client the music will be playable as well
If you would like to help by coding your more that welcome to join the googlecode project

But for now if you know how to call xml from JavaScript that works on the pch that would be really helpful
What I’m looking for is a popup command/function would call this xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MediaContainer size="16" content="secondary" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1312004848" viewGroup="secondary" viewMode="65592" art="/:/resources/movie-fanart.jpg" title1="Anime Movies" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library">
    <Directory key="all" title="All Anime Movies" />
    <Directory key="unwatched" title="Unwatched" />
    <Directory key="newest" title="Recently Released" />
    <Directory key="recentlyAdded" title="Recently Added" />
    <Directory key="recentlyViewed" title="Recently Viewed" />
    <Directory key="collection" title="By Collection" />
    <Directory key="genre" title="By Genre" />
    <Directory key="year" title="By Year" />
    <Directory key="decade" title="By Decade" />
    <Directory key="director" title="By Director" />
    <Directory key="actor" title="By Starring Actor" />
    <Directory key="contentRating" title="By Content Rating" />
    <Directory key="rating" title="By Rating" />
    <Directory key="firstCharacter" title="By First Letter" />
    <Directory key="folder" title="By Folder" />
    <Directory prompt="Search Anime Movies" search="1"  key="search?type=1" title="Search..." />
</MediaContainer>
and let you select a "Category" then would call other base on selection and give ether a movie collection as determined by //MediaContainer[@viewGroup]=="movie" | "show" (for tv shows)
Code:
<MediaContainer size="52" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1312004848" viewGroup="movie" viewMode="65592" art="/:/resources/movie-fanart.jpg" title1="Anime Movies" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library">
    <Video ratingKey="11702" key="/library/metadata/11702" type="movie" title="Afro Samurai" contentRating="R" summary="A Black samurai goes on a mission to avenge the wrongful death of his father in a futuristic feudal Japan.In the Afro Samurai world there are many headbands and they signify the best fighters in the world. If a person should hold number 1, they are referred to as a god among combatants, killers, and assassins. Afro Samurai&apos;s father was number one. That was until a cowboy mutant gunslinger named Justice shot him in the head. Now as number two, Afro seeks sweet, pure, and bloody revenge." year="2007" thumb="/library/metadata/11702/thumb?t=1314423025" art="/library/metadata/11702/art?t=1314423025" duration="7500000" originallyAvailableAt="2007-01-04" addedAt="1313959195" updatedAt="1314423025">
        <Media id="10813" duration="6728000" bitrate="2075" width="1280" height="720" aspectRatio="1.78" audioChannels="2" audioCodec="aac" videoCodec="h264" videoResolution="720" container="mov" videoFrameRate="24p">
            <Part key="/library/parts/10919/file.mp4" duration="6728000" file="/home/ftp/media/Videos/Anime/Movies/Afro Samurai (2007).BluRay.mp4" size="1791599205" />
        </Media>
        <Genre tag="Animation" />
        <Role tag="Samuel L. Jackson" />
        <Role tag="Phil LaMarr" />
        <Role tag="Yuri Lowenthal" />
    </Video>
        <Video ratingKey="1" key="/library/metadata/1" studio="Fuji TV" type="movie" title="Afro Samurai: Resurrection" contentRating="NR" summary="Afro Samurai avenged his father and found a life of peace. But the legendary master is forced back into the game by a beautiful and deadly woman from his past. The sparks of violence dropped along Afro’s bloody path now burn out of control – and nowhere are the flames of hatred more intense than in the eyes of Sio." rating="7.6" year="2009" thumb="/library/metadata/1/thumb?t=1314422935" art="/library/metadata/1/art?t=1314422935" duration="5460000" originallyAvailableAt="2009-01-25" addedAt="1312699830" updatedAt="1314422935">
        <Media id="1" duration="5493000" bitrate="1045" width="636" height="346" aspectRatio="1.85" audioChannels="2" audioCodec="mp3" videoCodec="mpeg4" videoResolution="sd" container="avi" videoFrameRate="24p">
            <Part key="/library/parts/1/file.avi" duration="5493000" file="/home/ftp/media/Videos/Anime/Movies/Afro Samurai - Resurrection (2009).avi" size="735123456" />
        </Media>
        <Genre tag="Animation" />
        <Director tag="Fuminori Kizaki" />
        <Role tag="Samuel L. Jackson" />
        <Role tag="Lucy Liu" />
        <Role tag="Mark Hamill" />
    </Video>
    <Video ratingKey="2" key="/library/metadata/2" studio="Warner Home Video" type="movie" title="All-Star Superman" contentRating="PG" summary="All-Star Superman is a direct-to-video animated film based on the acclaimed comic book series All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. The film is the tenth in the DC Universe Animated Original Movies line released by Warner Premiere and Warner Bros. Animation and the first in the line that is rated PG as opposed to the usual PG-13 rating. It was released on February 22, 2011." rating="9.2" year="2011" thumb="/library/metadata/2/thumb?t=1313193155" art="/library/metadata/2/art?t=1313193155" duration="4560000" originallyAvailableAt="2011-02-22" addedAt="1312699830" updatedAt="1313193155">
        <Media id="2" duration="4586000" bitrate="1253" width="720" height="400" aspectRatio="1.78" audioChannels="2" audioCodec="mp3" videoCodec="mpeg4" videoResolution="480" container="avi" videoFrameRate="NTSC">
            <Part key="/library/parts/2/file.avi" duration="4586000" file="/home/ftp/media/Videos/Anime/Movies/All Star Superman (2011).DvDRip.avi" size="735770052" />
        </Media>
        <Genre tag="Action" />
        <Genre tag="Adventure" />
        <Director tag="Sam Liu" />
        <Role tag="James Denton" />
        <Role tag="Christina Hendricks" />
        <Role tag="Anthony LaPaglia" />
    </Video>
</MediaContainer>
or a filter determined by //MediaContainer[@viewGroup]=="secondary"
Code:
<MediaContainer size="31" content="secondary" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1312004848" viewGroup="secondary" viewMode="65592" art="/:/resources/movie-fanart.jpg" title1="Anime Movies" title2="Genres" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library">
    <Directory key="36" title="Action" />
    <Directory key="15" title="Action/Adventure" />
    <Directory key="60" title="Adventure" />
    <Directory key="70" title="Animated cartoon" />
    <Directory key="17" title="Animation" />
    <Directory key="38" title="Anime" />
    <Directory key="595" title="Biographical film" />
    <Directory key="593" title="Biography" />
    <Directory key="844" title="Cartoon" />
    <Directory key="176" title="Children&apos;s" />
    <Directory key="141" title="Comedy" />
    <Directory key="594" title="Coming of age" />
    <Directory key="946" title="Crime fiction" />
    <Directory key="111" title="Crime Thriller" />
    <Directory key="35" title="Drama" />
    <Directory key="477" title="Drama film" />
    <Directory key="18" title="Family" />
    <Directory key="14" title="Fantasy" />
    <Directory key="597" title="Film adaptation" />
    <Directory key="200" title="Future noir" />
    <Directory key="221" title="Horror" />
    <Directory key="890" title="Indie" />
    <Directory key="596" title="Period piece" />
    <Directory key="345" title="Romance film" />
    <Directory key="37" title="Science fiction" />
    <Directory key="974" title="Short" />
    <Directory key="156" title="Short film" />
    <Directory key="16" title="Superhero" />
    <Directory key="94" title="Thriller" />
    <Directory key="598" title="War" />
    <Directory key="346" title="World cinema" />
</MediaContainer>
if we got a filter in return we would just add it to the pop-up for the next selection and so on?
any help with code to do that would be helpfully.

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - rip77 - 08-28-2011 07:28 AM

for any that are interested my little side project with flash, after leaning flash for a day or so i have come up with youtube still working on getting the background to have a crossfade transition, will keep updating as i do more on both the php and flash.

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - ac4lt - 09-28-2011 02:47 PM

I'm extremely interested in a plex client for the pch. I'd be happy to help out with testing (and coding if time permits me to).

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - rip77 - 11-07-2011 10:25 AM

Quick update, mainly doing work on the flash client as the popcorn is moving that way, youtube
Got the wall to show results of menu selection, this one’s a re-build from the ground up that why there’s no background art yet.
enjoy

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - accident - 11-07-2011 02:33 PM

IIRC there has been a flash client in the works for over a year. Contact pled to see where they are with it.

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - manecas - 11-07-2011 08:06 PM

Really interesting!
I'm also using plex on my Qnap for a "hotel streaming from home" when i'm traveling in work. No more ppv on my accomodation bills... Big Grin
Will save my jukebox rebuilds if NMT can use a plex client also.
Cheers!

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - rip77 - 11-11-2011 08:14 AM

Another youtube video showing 1st run as an app on my c200.

setup:
plex media server running on a readyNAS PRO
pch C200 no hard drive on wireless network

RE: Plex Client on the PCH - werner - 11-11-2011 08:20 AM

well done looks pretty fast and nice