Networked Media Tank
New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Printable Version

+- Networked Media Tank (http://www.networkedmediatank.com)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Official Popcornhour / Syabas News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=134)
+--- Thread: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! (/showthread.php?tid=55398)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - congo181 - 10-07-2011 05:05 PM

(10-07-2011 04:26 PM)cutter Wrote:  Technology shouldn't be aimed at geeks .... Technology should be about making things simple to the majority of users, not for the IT people.... I want a turn-key solution that enables me to have a centralised point for support and predictable behaviour. I live to see the day where hardware and software works the same way and as reliably as a car. You just turn the key and go. I don't have to be a mechanic in order to drive a car. I don't see why the PCH or any electronic device for that matter should be any different...

Here here! I've been trying to get this point across to some people on here for a while now - but they're all geeks Smile

I'm willing to bet that a large proportion of the 85% of people who are in favour of the new UI dont care a jot about apps or html or flash - they just want to play their media, and perhaps even get a 'random' function for their music. (I might start another poll).

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - RNO - 10-07-2011 05:07 PM

I choose, of course, to support the new UI for the 200' version as it will be the only way to have a good support for the next few years.

If we keep the current UI, we will be left on the side of the road.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - nathan.never - 10-07-2011 05:11 PM

(10-07-2011 05:05 PM)plm Wrote:  
(10-07-2011 04:58 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  I belive you are missing the big picture. I for one have been using YAMJ for about two years now and my oppinion is that the changes that were made in imdb or whatever else YAMJ depends on were implemented by user-developers in a matter of days (yes, days) and the update went as smooth as possible even on librarys as large as thousands of videos. No need to rescrappe, no need to bang my head against a wall, no nothing! I believe I haven't even touched my old scrappings (YAMJ database) in a year or so - only updated.
To depend on Syabas to implement a new feature or a bugfix for their soon to be one and only jukebox is something unthinkable to me! They have periods of 3-6 months since their FW updates!
A much better solution is to leave YAMJ for users to develop, tweak, improve or whatvever - if you ever used YAMJ you should know how fast and easy that works!
For example I myself found some bugs that needed fixing in YAMJ (be it scrapping-wise due to changes in internet databases or be it just something useful that needed fixing) and the time it took from writting to Omerton to the actual solution was no more than a day! Good luck with that from Syabas!

You'll still be able to use YAMJ. You'll have to use Eversion or another Flash-based skin since the HTML support won't be there, but the point is that without Gaya running and hogging all of the unit's memory you'll get a slicker environment to run it in. And that means you can continue to get the same level of support for YAMJ and its skins that you've become accustomed to.

So you don't have to use Syabas' jukebox at all.

If you already move over to a Flash-based jukebox, like Eversion/YAMJ then the question effectively becomes "do you want a more responsive operating system to run it on?"

How the hell do you know how responsive it will be?! The only judgement you can make about it is from previous experiance with Syabas NMJ and that one is a complete opposite of what you are saying.
And remember - if you get disappointed - there is no turning back!

And about Eversion and me having to use it - why should I if I am more than comfortable with my current setup...

I still think that for people who find YAMJ too complicated, ANY jukebook will be a chalange to maintain... Some technology really is just for geeks (even though I think this work has been abused much too much in this thread)

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - DELCID - 10-07-2011 05:22 PM

Werner: After looking closely the YouTube videos of the new UI, I have some doubts about:
1. Native resolution of the UI, 720p or 1080p (most TVs are now 1080, the last will be great)?
2. The resolution of the posters and fanarts remains poor as NMJ1?
3. The file structure is like YAMJ (poster + fanart + info files). If yes, if we put this files together, the new UI use them to scanning or do a new download?
4. We can add to the UI posters or custom fanarts (no download) e.g. select from the hard disk?
5. The metadata is from IMDB or THEMOVIEDB?
6. In one of the YouTube videos I noticed a blue screen for a couple of seconds when playing a video, also to stop playing?
7. Something important is missing in the new UI: Sound information of movie files (dts, ac3, etc.).

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - cutter - 10-07-2011 05:35 PM

(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  And about Eversion and me having to use it - why should I if I am more than comfortable with my current setup...

Well, then stay with your current setup, nobody is forcing you to upgrade to the latest UI! Let the rest of us ignorant 85% to suffer! All we want is to be given that option; the very same option you will have by deciding whether you should upgrade or not!

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - congo181 - 10-07-2011 05:37 PM

(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  How the hell do you know how responsive it will be?!

Werner has said that it is faster on a C-200 then the current UI.
I would thnk that this speed improvement would carry forward into the future? (Not getting faster, but if effectively the OS is faster, then it will always be faster overall).

(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  Some technology really is just for geeks

Shouldn't a Media player be as complicated as say a PVR. My mum can use the PVR I bought her. Perhaps you'd like a caveat on the PR for media players - 'non-geeks need not apply as this is our niche market'.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - 3560freak - 10-07-2011 05:39 PM

What I don't understand is how some of these people loathe progress. Here is a good analogy

Popcorn Hour 200 series = iPhone 3GS
Blu-Ray discs = iPhone apps

Apple updates their entire (current) product line with the newest OS available. They make changes and add/remove features that they feel will enhance user experience. If you choose not to update the OS version you may not be able to play some of the apps (blu-ray). You are welcome to stay on an older OS [no forced updates] but you will not see the support for it any longer from developers or manufacturer. Also, what happens when the 200 series is discontinued and your device breaks, you will have to buy a 300 series anyway and be on the new UI without support for the HTML skins/current user apps. Embrace the change an accept that someone is trying to expand the lifetime of an older device even when they are trying to sell a new one too.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - mmccking - 10-07-2011 05:39 PM

I'd like to take back my Flash vote.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - plm - 10-07-2011 05:42 PM

(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  How the hell do you know how responsive it will be?! The only judgement you can make about it is from previous experiance with Syabas NMJ and that one is a complete opposite of what you are saying.

If you stop running Flash on top of Gaya and leave only Flash then there's plenty of scope for a performance increase by eliminating paging and optimising the O/S to run this as its default.

Remember that NMJ V1 ran on top of Gaya, so performance was already constrained before you started what was an absolutely lousy product anyway. But the point is you don't have to run NMJ V1 in the same way that you won't have to run NMJ V2, so you're not constrained by the quality of jukebox that Syabas produce.

(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  And about Eversion and me having to use it - why should I if I am more than comfortable with my current setup...

It's the price of progress. People moaned when apps stopped working on Vista or Mac OS Lion but then got over it and moved on, or accepted that they had a genuine reason to stay with the older O/S. This is no different.

You don't have to upgrade, but you'll be stuck where you are now, or you could start progressing to a Flash-based solution now safe in the knowledge that it'll still work just the way you want it if they implement this change. That's what I'm doing.

(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  I still think that for people who find YAMJ too complicated, ANY jukebook will be a chalange to maintain... Some technology really is just for geeks (even though I think this work has been abused much too much in this thread)

Frankly, the standard interface offering on the NMTs has been pathetic for years, and it's reassuring to see that Syabas are now finally realising that it's important for the 'average' user just to plug in, browse their movies, and play. It's been an embarrassment for years and it's high time it was fixed.

So Syabas has to offer a jukebox to end users that will simply scrape their media and serve it up to them. NMJ V1 was a rather abortive attempt in this direction but NMJ V2 looks promising for a plug and play solution. But, I reiterate, you don't have to use it.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - nathan.never - 10-07-2011 05:50 PM

(10-07-2011 05:35 PM)cutter Wrote:  

Well, then stay with your current setup, nobody is forcing you to upgrade to the latest UI! Let the rest of us ignorant 85% to suffer! All we want is to be given that option; the very same option you will have by deciding whether you should upgrade or not!

This just shows you don't know the point us 15% are trying to make...
(10-07-2011 05:37 PM)congo181 Wrote:  
(10-07-2011 05:11 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  Some technology really is just for geeks

Shouldn't a Media player be as complicated as say a PVR. My mum can use the PVR I bought her. Perhaps you'd like a caveat on the PR for media players - 'non-geeks need not apply as this is our niche market'.

As I said - your definition of geeks and my differ greatly...
I think geeks nowadays should be considered people who put at least the minimum of effort into learning the equipment they are using. I know my mum would never even consider NMT.
But most of other people think they can get something for nothing (and I am not talking about money)...

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - cutter - 10-07-2011 05:57 PM

(10-07-2011 05:50 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  

Interesting theory. On the other hand, some might consider extremely arrogant for a minority of 15% to try and impose their beliefs on the majority, claiming they are the bearers of the single, universal truth and everybody else is just plain, crazy wrong!

You believe something, I believe something else. Arguments can be made on both sides. The only undisputable truth is that you are in the vast minority; grow up and just deal with it!

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - galileox - 10-07-2011 06:08 PM

Definitely YES !!!

Those who don't want to switch to the new UI... don't flash the new firmware!!

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - nathan.never - 10-07-2011 06:10 PM

(10-07-2011 05:57 PM)cutter Wrote:  
(10-07-2011 05:50 PM)nathan.never Wrote:  

Interesting theory. On the other hand, some might consider extremely arrogant for a minority of 15% to try and impose their beliefs on the majority, claiming they are the bearers of the single, universal truth and everybody else is just plain, crazy wrong!

You believe something, I believe something else. Arguments can be made on both sides. The only undisputable truth is that you are in the vast minority; grow up and just deal with it!

OK, looking forward to flash apps you develop and contribute to community!

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - marcosreg - 10-07-2011 06:13 PM

[b]YES[/b]

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - sabon - 10-07-2011 06:17 PM

NO THANK YOU!