Networked Media Tank
New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Printable Version

+- Networked Media Tank (http://www.networkedmediatank.com)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Official Popcornhour / Syabas News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=134)
+--- Thread: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! (/showthread.php?tid=55398)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - werner - 10-08-2011 12:47 PM

issues will always be present when you support almost everthing, some issues are related on different user setups, some are related because there is not only one software to create files, there is no standard,.... some issues are sdk and hardware limitations,......... I can go on and on and some for sure are issues from our side.
We try to fix bugs as good as possible, but you will never ever see such a device bugfree if we can talk at all about bugs Wink, as i said very often you can remove most of the codecs and servers,...... then it will be easier to fix bugs and at the end you have a appletv which supports mp4, itunesstore and thats it, also then it won't be bugfree, the question then will be would you even consider to buy a nmt? I wouldn't for sure.

About bugfixes it doesn't matter if we bring the new ui or not, we still will bring firmware updates for 200 series.

Regards,
Werner

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - makko - 10-08-2011 12:55 PM

(10-08-2011 12:47 PM)werner Wrote:  issues will always be present when you support almost everthing, some issues are related on different user setups, some are related because there is not only one software to create files, there is no standard,.... some issues are sdk and hardware limitations,......... I can go on and on and some for sure are issues from our side.
We try to fix bugs as good as possible, but you will never ever see such a device bugfree if we can talk at all about bugs Wink, as i said very often you can remove most of the codecs and servers,...... then it will be easier to fix bugs and at the end you have a appletv which supports mp4, itunesstore and thats it, also then it won't be bugfree, the question then will be would you even consider to buy a nmt? I wouldn't for sure.

About bugfixes it doesn't matter if we bring the new ui or not, we still will bring firmware updates for 200 series.

Regards,
Werner
Sorry off topic ! Are you suddenly norwegian HiHi HaHa

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - werner - 10-08-2011 12:57 PM

I am a bot so I switch servers all the time, so noone can hunt me hahahaha

no no it is just opera mini, it runs over the opera proxy thats the reason Tongue

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Omertron - 10-08-2011 01:20 PM

(10-08-2011 12:47 PM)werner Wrote:  About bugfixes it doesn't matter if we bring the new ui or not, we still will bring firmware updates for 200 series.

I don't think that's in question. The question is, will you bug fix the last HTML version AND the Flash version.

I have a strong feeling that the answer is No, just the Flash version. Therefore those making the decision to stay on HTML are effectively ending the life of their product.

Personally, that's fine with me, as there are no serious bugs that affect me. Others might not feel that way

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - makko - 10-08-2011 01:59 PM

(10-08-2011 12:25 PM)speedownsie Wrote:  Accident.

My main point was give us a rollback procedure. Then we don't have to choose.
I sound negative, but is caution really a bad thing with new software/firmware?

It is arrogant to say that everyone who upgrades to the NMJV2 on a x200 series piece of hardware, will get it right, whether it be their fault or not.

I'm now firmly of the decision that leave the x200 series alone, finish it make it flawless, then if you want a better NMJ you buy more hardware. (As several have suggested)

The arguement that Syabas does stuff that sets them apart from other companies is justified, for now.

This new software will be stretched, in time, to it's full abilities.
Will the x200 series be able to keep up with the x300?

What is right as a business decision cannot be based on a consumer poll.
Therefore it is not.
Why not consumer pollUndecided In this case where there's a split up ,what to pursue ,it give's exactly sense !

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - jluc2808 - 10-08-2011 02:00 PM

werner , sorry to get back with the subject , what about the multi-disk on the same jukebox , you said no 'one per disk' and i thought that this feature was a basis update on NMJV2 so could you clarify

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Gary - 10-08-2011 02:05 PM

Flash rendering is not great at the moment on the A200 Juke box, it will probably be lousy slow with a more complicated UI ...

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - hordmop - 10-08-2011 02:10 PM

I hope you make the right decision and change the UI version of the 200 series.
the 200 series does not deserve to work with the UI of the 100 series because in my point of view is a bit outdated system by the year 2011, the administrator says it works faster than the current tri-fold and develop flash applications on which is good news. not fall into the mistake of not betting on technological innovation and renewal.

My vote is a resounding yes

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - accident - 10-08-2011 05:52 PM

(10-08-2011 12:25 PM)speedownsie Wrote:  Accident.

My main point was give us a rollback procedure. Then we don't have to choose.
I sound negative, but is caution really a bad thing with new software/firmware?

I follow you.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - InsoMniacx - 10-08-2011 06:06 PM

Does nmj2 have multi mount shares?

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - accident - 10-08-2011 06:12 PM

(10-08-2011 12:20 PM)gkreidl Wrote:  you are right in many things you say, but the question is, if Syabas has not taken the wrong turn in choosing flash. The industry is going a different way:

nobody really has support to put your own things on the player at all so I'm not sure how everyone else is going the right direction.

Quote:Syabas is throwing the internet out of the player (and also the technologies, on which internet applications are based), except by using specialized apps, written only by Syabas and a small number of developers. In the long run, they will have no chance with the new concept.

It would be great if someone from syabas wouldn't mind saying even if vague a rough roadmap for the future.

It has been really hard to describe this but since the flash apps came out, there has really been 2 players under the hood. 2 things to maintain, 2 things to bug fix. I know it looks like flash or browser, but it really goes down to the core of the unit with both of them.

So the player just got easier to maintain. Now what I think we might see in the future is a new html option come back. I'm going to call it an option because the pch wouldn't need it for it's interface, but it doesn't mean you couldn't use it for an interface. A modern browser, or even just a slightly better than gaya browser would have the support for dynamic webpages that can talk to the api..

I'm not sure I like the gap, I look forward to more options and I hope this is what is really happening here and I think in the next 6-8 months we'll have more stories of how the new player took almost a year to make it what it is.. Isn't that how every new family of syabas players started??

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - mfsav2 - 10-08-2011 07:20 PM

(10-08-2011 11:20 AM)Omertron Wrote:  First off, let me say I don't like being forced down any route. It's the reason I dislike Apple and other companies.

I agree... Smile

(10-08-2011 11:20 AM)Omertron Wrote:  However, I have to take a pragmatic view of things. Syabas are the only company I know (in this space) that continue to develop and deliver fixes for hardware that is 2+ years old and in the case of the 100er series 4+ years old.

Go take a look at the competition and see how long after they start selling a new model they support the old model... go on... I'll wait.... .... ... yes, not that long at all? You want fixes? Buy the new hardware, that's the attitude elsewhere in the industry.

You are fully right, Syabas is not perfect but is far more responsibe than competition and the community here is great.

(10-08-2011 12:20 PM)gkreidl Wrote:  Omertron,

you are right in many things you say, but the question is, if Syabas has not taken the wrong turn in choosing flash. The industry is going a different way:

Having a full fledged browser (with builtin flash) is going to be the new standard for network media players.

Sigma designs is going to support Android. There are already Android media players on the market using Marvell processors. And Nvidia with its Tegra chips is going the same way. That will be the competition in the future.

Syabas is throwing the internet out of the player (and also the technologies, on which internet applications are based), except by using specialized apps, written only by Syabas and a small number of developers. In the long run, they will have no chance with the new concept.

Guenter

I do not agree with the statement.
Probably in 2 or 3 year times the way forward will be only HTML5 and browsers.
Today HTML5 is not yet standardized enough to be used seriously on the video part.

Android is a very bad choice for anyone in the industry as Google manages it for it's own plans... and right now no one know which direction they will take after Motorola acquisition.
I would not suggest Syabas to base their product on their (potential) worst competitor, also if you look all the troubles of Samsung and others the Android is not as "free" as you'd like to think.

I think the new UI is good and to optimize all the OS to remove what's usless and focus on performance will be even better. They need to add some key features as I pointed out several post ago (multiple libraries, sort by date added, what's new)

Once we will have it I'm sure the community will find ways to use the box how they like in any case Smile

From a Syabas perspective the must continue to build the best possible device, best price point, best UI and user experience.
They cannot ignore that devices with XMBC have already appeared or will appear shortly, GoogleTV is coming etc...

mf
(10-08-2011 11:20 AM)Omertron Wrote:  First off, let me say I don't like being forced down any route. It's the reason I dislike Apple and other companies.

However, I have to take a pragmatic view of things. Syabas are the only company I know (in this space) that continue to develop and deliver fixes for hardware that is 2+ years old and in the case of the 100er series 4+ years old.

Go take a look at the competition and see how long after they start selling a new model they support the old model... go on... I'll wait.... .... ... yes, not that long at all? You want fixes? Buy the new hardware, that's the attitude elsewhere in the industry.

We're all to blame. If you were looking for a new player today, would you consider the A210 (~2 year old hardware) but with a reasonably solid firmware, few bugs (please don't chime in with your pet peeve bug) or a new A300? Lets be honest, to 95% of the people here, you would not notice a difference between the A210 playback and the A300 (or insert a competitor's product). But we all want NEW. We all want better specs, faster processors. My A100 plays the same files that my C200 does today. Sure the interface is clunky but it does what I want it to do... play videos.

We're all a little spoilt by Syabas and their support of their players to some degree. Now we'll have to suck it up and move with the times.

If Syabas do not update their UI, they will be left behind in the market. When 10's of new companies and 100's of new NMPs arrive on the market each year, they have to be at the front or they'll be lost in the crowd, and then there won't be any firmware updates or new players at all and you'll have to try and find another company with as active a community as this one.

As to the only thing that I've seen that may cause an issue... Bluray key changes... the chances are you'll be onto another player before that happens, and knowing Syabas, they may even release a firmware update for that specific issue.

As an aside... YAMJ will continue to support HTML versions (it's how we work after all, and other players use that). So don't worry there.

Chances are, I won't update my C200 past the last HTML firmware, but that's because I need to test and support that version. I'll buy a new A300 and move forward.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - nuke12 - 10-08-2011 07:58 PM

Ok, I have a dumb ass question. It seems from this thread, one of the main benefits of this new flash GUI, is it's faster then the old one.

So, how is it faster? Are we talking about the actual GUI, NMJ (which is really an app) or maybe the internet based stuff?

I personally, don't find the current GUI all that slow. Much better then the old 100 series but not an i5 box. Maybe, I'm missing out, in a whole area? I don't use NMJ or any of the internet stuff. All my movies, music, photos and the GUI on my lan seem fine, to me.

So what is the speed killer here? I figure NMJ will always be slow and probably the internet stuff (until the stream starts playing). You simply can't expect any Sigma chip to preform like a desktop or laptop, doing the same function. It tain't ever going to happen.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - zombiehunter - 10-08-2011 08:07 PM

gaya aka syb_framework consumes 140% of the memory so anything else running like flash (eversion) runs really slow, ask the popbox boys the will tell you that flash (eversion) runs much faster on it because of no html support

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - nuke12 - 10-08-2011 08:12 PM

(10-08-2011 08:07 PM)zombiehunter Wrote:  gaya aka syb_framework consumes 140% of the memory so anything else running like flash runs really slow, ask the popbox boys the will tell you that flash runs much faster on it because of no html support

So WTF are you doing that the extra speed is that big of a deal? People here keep saying "the GUI is faster" but I can run that sucker around the wheel pretty damn fast, even with gaya.