Networked Media Tank
New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Printable Version

+- Networked Media Tank (http://www.networkedmediatank.com)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Official Popcornhour / Syabas News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=134)
+--- Thread: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! (/showthread.php?tid=55398)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - werner - 10-25-2011 05:45 PM

html5 is still far away going to take its place, flash was the only logical step.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - bkejser - 10-25-2011 06:01 PM

(10-25-2011 05:45 PM)werner Wrote:  html5 is still far away going to take its place, flash was the only logical step.

Hi Werner

Do you provide any developer guides for writing Flash applications that integrate with the A-200 series? How are commands from the remote passed to the Flash application? Is there any functionality that cannot or should not be used?

Thanks

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - werner - 10-25-2011 06:03 PM

we have a developer site

https://developer.popbox.com/c/devuser/home

there after registering you will find, flash api documents, sample app,........

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - accident - 10-25-2011 06:22 PM

(10-25-2011 12:48 PM)Robster33 Wrote:  Is it, with flash, still posible to access the popcorn without the tv. I love to listen to music and use this with the help of my laptop.
I dont want to turn the tv on to listen to music.

The stuff you access without the tv screen remains the same, this is specific to interfaces on the tv itself.
(10-25-2011 03:20 PM)bkejser Wrote:  Flash is on the way out and HTML 5 is going to take its place. This may take some time but it is inevitable.

While I agree from a general web standpoint, I do not see this trend in the tv device interfaces. Only a handful don't use flash for their interfaces or interfaces for partners on their devices. Not supporting flash in my opinion would be a mistake for a device on your tv.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Robster33 - 10-25-2011 07:34 PM

Sorrie my englisch is not so good, i explain one more time,

Now i enter my popcorn a200 with en prgrm installed on my laptop and one my popcorna200.

I enter the adress in html and so i can access my audio files on my popcorn without using my tv.

Again, is this stil possible without html and with flash?
This is for me very important because i use the popcorn many times for music

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - VikingBrainTeam - 10-25-2011 08:22 PM

Maybe html5 is far away but hmlt4+jquery or any other advance library would do the job. I think flash is a wrong decision. Flash is going to be a handicap for many developers. Who wants to learn flash when it's well known html5 will replace it. Html is easy and its a standard, it's reusable.
What is going to happen when html5 is out, what will happen with all these flash apps?
In my opinion, flash is not the right decision. I'm really sad to read about this

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - accident - 10-25-2011 08:34 PM

(10-25-2011 08:22 PM)VikingBrainTeam Wrote:  In my opinion, flash is not the right decision. I'm really sad to read about this.

You make it sound like they just suddenly decided to do this. It's been over 2 years in the making. Maybe nobody besides the umc team and myself listened but it's not like just suddenly happened.

From a syabas standpoint and my research into tv device interfaces, this was the smart choice as the content people are asking for on other devices is in flash also. no company is going to spend money to recreate their online content app for a new technology unless you have a huge market share. That's what the public masses are buying these devices for, not because you can code for it.

Quote:What is going to happen when html5 is out, what will happen with all these flash apps?

it's very easy to get from flash source to html5. Lots of tools to do that, in some cases it's just cross publishing.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - halfelite - 10-25-2011 08:49 PM

(10-25-2011 08:22 PM)VikingBrainTeam Wrote:  Maybe html5 is far away but hmlt4+jquery or any other advance library would do the job. I think flash is a wrong decision. Flash is going to be a handicap for many developers. Who wants to learn flash when it's well known html5 will replace it. Html is easy and its a standard, it's reusable.
What is going to happen when html5 is out, what will happen with all these flash apps?
In my opinion, flash is not the right decision. I'm really sad to read about this

You need to look at the now. HTML5 is still not a standard yet and I do think html5 will come out on top in the end sure but when is the end not for another 2 years at least.

Why not use something else? Because every tv connected company uses flash/air all your samsung/lg/Panasonic/ smart tv's all your home stb's with widgets. Do you think they are suddenly going to jump to something else? Do you think the companies that have massive backends for flash are suddenly going to jump to a new platform, Its not going to happen. Flash will be the leader in online media delivery content for a long time. People keep looking at this from a general point that things like html5 are better then flash and yes they are but none of them are better for media delivery at this time.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - VikingBrainTeam - 10-25-2011 11:01 PM

It's hard to follow all the threads and maybe I was not subscribed to the right ones. I saw the announcement of A300, and then I read that html apps were not supported (first post in this thread on 10-06-2011), so it is not it suddenly happened, it's just I suddenly noticed html were not supported

(10-25-2011 08:34 PM)accident Wrote:  From a syabas standpoint and my research into tv device interfaces, this was the smart choice as the content people are asking for on other devices is in flash also. no company is going to spend money to recreate their online content app for a new technology unless you have a huge market share. That's what the public masses are buying these devices for, not because you can code for it.
Apple, Google and Wikipedia did not think this way. Bring the coders, bring the apps, bring the users and bring the money, in this order.
A300 is going out with 83 apps. Google Tv and "the rumored Apple Tv" will have a huge amount of apps, and this platforms do not have flash based UI's but they support flash

(10-25-2011 08:34 PM)accident Wrote:  it's very easy to get from flash source to html5. Lots of tools to do that, in some cases it's just cross publishing.
I'm glad to hear that, good to know

(10-25-2011 08:49 PM)halfelite Wrote:  You need to look at the now. HTML5 is still not a standard yet and I do think html5 will come out on top in the end sure but when is the end not for another 2 years at least.
Web based life will be great in a couple of years, I hope so too
(10-25-2011 08:49 PM)halfelite Wrote:  Why not use something else? Because every tv connected company uses flash/air all your samsung/lg/Panasonic/ smart tv's all your home stb's with widgets. Do you think they are suddenly going to jump to something else? Do you think the companies that have massive backends for flash are suddenly going to jump to a new platform, Its not going to happen. Flash will be the leader in online media delivery content for a long time. People keep looking at this from a general point that things like html5 are better then flash and yes they are but none of them are better for media delivery at this time.

I also think there are lots of companies using flash this but it doesn't explain why A-300 runs a flash base UI and community projects which use html will stop working. I don't understand why they force to reprogram in flash

BTW, I'm not a html popcorn programmer

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - halfelite - 10-25-2011 11:08 PM

^^ the main reason was the old system was not just an html parser engine it handled everything and used 140%+ resources at a time so anything else ran slow. So they had two options move to flash UI like all the apps and things are so you dont have to jump in and out of different systems, Or dev two different things flash apps while also redoing the whole back end for html support, So it doesnt take all the resources of the box. Since the launch of the 200 series they have planned on moving away from the old gaya system. Now the back end can easily adopt to any language So its not like its stuck in flash forever. They could remove flash and load any other system up and it would use the back end just fine.

From a normal user standpoint flash was they way to go for ease of use. But you cant please everyone.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Robster33 - 10-26-2011 06:51 AM

Sorrie my englisch is not so good, i try to explain one more time,

Now i enter my popcorn an a200 with a prgrm installed on my laptop and one on my popcorna200.

I enter the adress in html and so i can access my audio files on my popcorn without using my tv.

Again, is this still possible without html and with flash?

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - MrFloppY - 10-26-2011 12:42 PM

(10-26-2011 06:51 AM)Robster33 Wrote:  Sorrie my englisch is not so good, i try to explain one more time,

Now i enter my popcorn an a200 with a prgrm installed on my laptop and one on my popcorna200.

Again, is this still possible without html and with flash?

Which program are you using? And what do you mean by "enter the adress in HTML"? You mean "http://" or?

But I believe you want to access your PCH from your laptop and that is still possible. Only het HTML browsing on your TV will not be possible.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - tyrindor - 10-26-2011 12:49 PM

(10-25-2011 03:20 PM)bkejser Wrote:  I'm confused. Why would you want to use Flash?

Flash is on the way out and HTML 5 is going to take its place. This may take some time but it is inevitable.

With that logic we might as well stop using HDTVs, and go back to a CRT, because in 5-10 years we'll have 4k x 2k resolution, and when 4k x2k comes out we might as well not use that either because that will also be obslete in another 5-10 years. See where I'm going here? HTML5 is years away, and flash is far superior to HTML.. and it's ready now. Even if HTML5 was 1 year away flash would still be a logical step.

I wish people would really stop trying to hinder progression to a better/more efficient platform. Yes, some stuff won't work but thats what progression does. New stuff will come out for flash quickly, and old stuff will be ported to flash. This is why there is Eversion, to make this easy for people. I really don't see what all the complaining is about, your average user needs to spend an hour setting up Eversion and waiting for their skin to be ported. Eversion on stock settings, is already fully functional, easily customizable, and in my opinion the looking skin out there.

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - bkejser - 10-26-2011 02:03 PM

Could you please explain what features, which are relevant to Popcorn hour devices, Flash could implement that HTML 4 could not?

RE: New UI for 200er Series, same as A-300 UI?! - Grael - 10-26-2011 02:08 PM

(10-26-2011 02:03 PM)bkejser Wrote:  Could you please explain what features, which are relevant to Popcorn hour devices, Flash could implement that HTML 4 could not?
If it works, better than old Gaya html UI, why is Flash such a problem for you?