Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
ctorrent
02-08-2009, 04:40 PM
RE: ctorrent
OK. Understand.
If I need to stop ctorrent client I must kill ctorrent processes and dctcs process?

(02-08-2009 01:40 PM)snarfle Wrote:  I'm not sure I understand this question completely. I'll try to answer it anyway. Smile

It is not possible to select download locations for individual torrents. While this is theoretically possible, YODCTCS does not currently offer this feature. If this is really important to you, you could start a ctorrent client manually through telnet from the location where you want the downloaded file and have it connect to YODCTCS (on localhost:9001). You can then manage your torrent through the CTCS.

After modifying dctcs.conf you will have to restart the running dctcs process for changes to take effect (only dctcs- your ctorrent processes can keep running). I am currently looking in to a way to modify the configuration through a PHP script (I already have the configuration bit done, just need to figure out a way to restart dctcs safely).

Quote:For some reason whenever I stop a torrent and start it again it want to recheck the files before starting again.

"Stopping" a torrent with ctorrent means that the process (i.e. the torrent client) exits completely. Starting it again will result in a full hash check. If you want to keep the process running and avoid the hash check, use the "Pause" button instead.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Quote:If I need to stop ctorrent client I must kill ctorrent processes and dctcs process?

Huh? Again, I'm not quite sure what you mean. confused To stop an individual ctorrent
client (= 1 torrent download), connect to the web interface, select the torrent
and click 'Stop'. One of the ctorrent processes will then exit.

To force a reload of dctcs.conf, kill the dctcs process only (e.g. kill `pidof dctcs`)
and then restart it. Your torrents (that is, ctorrent processes) will keep running
in the background no problem.

There is now a web interface available to modify the configuration file and restart
the dctcs automatically. See the web page for details.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2009, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 06:05 PM by papka__.)
Ok. Thanks. Smile

Just have situation - NMT hangs on. Switch it off/on. Install new version. Ctorrent started ok and .... start to recheck all torrents
(already rechecked and previously seeded too).

(02-08-2009 04:58 PM)snarfle Wrote:  Huh? Again, I'm not quite sure what you mean. confused To stop an individual ctorrent
client (= 1 torrent download), connect to the web interface, select the torrent
and click 'Stop'. One of the ctorrent processes will then exit.

To force a reload of dctcs.conf, kill the dctcs process only (e.g. kill `pidof dctcs`)
and then restart it. Your torrents (that is, ctorrent processes) will keep running
in the background no problem.

There is now a web interface available to modify the configuration file and restart
the dctcs automatically. See the web page for details.
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
So, if I understand correctly, if NMT hangs and have to be rebooted (and this happens, unfortunately, very often), all incomplete files will be verified (like in Transmission)? If so, is cTorrent verifies them faster than Transmission? Thanks!
02-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I will try.

Thank you
02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Quote:So, if I understand correctly, if NMT hangs and have to be rebooted (and this happens, unfortunately, very often), all incomplete files will be verified (like in Transmission)? If so, is cTorrent verifies them faster than Transmission? Thanks!

Both complete and incomplete files will be fully hash checked. I'm not sure about the performance of ctorrent vs. Transmission in this. As I understand it cTorrent should be quicker, but I'm not sure. I do know that cTorrent seeds while hash checking. I think it also already starts downloading while still checking but I'm not sure.

I'm having some unrelated issues with my NMT which prevent me from checking this properly.

I have however noticed (but this could just be me) that I don't have to reboot my NMT as often since I stopped using Transmission a while ago.
02-08-2009, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 06:57 PM by papka__.)
(02-08-2009 05:54 PM)snarfle Wrote:  Both complete and incomplete files will be fully hash checked. I'm not sure about the performance of ctorrent vs. Transmission in this. As I understand it cTorrent should be quicker, but I'm not sure. I do know that cTorrent seeds while hash checking. I think it also already starts downloading while still checking but I'm not sure.

I'm having some unrelated issues with my NMT which prevent me from checking this properly.

I have however noticed (but this could just be me) that I don't have to reboot my NMT as often since I stopped using Transmission a while ago.

Seems the situation with rehashing completed torrents is not good. If I have 10 completed torrents with size ~10GB each anyway process will be very long. Sad
I will use Ctorrent for downloading but Transmission for seeding. Good application .... but rehashing.... Sad
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 07:58 PM by dany88.)
mmm.....we may modify the sourcecode in order to rehash only downloading files, and maybe to rehash in a more convenient way for NMT (i have some ideas, but i must look some details)......

I will try the next week to see the sourcecode

edit:

-f Force saved bitfield or seed mode (skip hash check at startup)

Perform a fast startup by skipping the initial (or background) hash verification of the files. This option is not generally recommended since the client now performs initial hash checking in the background. Use this option only if CTorrent was shut down cleanly when last downloading this torrent and you are absolutely certain that the bitfield (if download is not complete) and data files are intact and correct. To emulate the old behavior of hash-checking all pieces before beginning download or seeding, use -f along with the -c option.

mmm....we can use -f, but i don't know if it is a good idea...the file could be corrupt....
[+] 1 user says Thank You to dany88 for this post
02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Quote:mmm....we can use -f, but i don't know if it is a good idea...the file could be corrupt....

It's not a good idea. Like you say, the file may be corrupt. Especially in the case
of NMT, situations where your torrent clients exit are usually crashes or unclean
shutdowns. After a crash/unclean shutdown a hash check should always be done
to guarantee the integrity of the data files.

Instead of changing the options, I would recommend going after the source of the
problem (which is that the NMT crashes frequently). It would be better to collect
as much information on the crashes as you can and report them to Syabas so they
can maybe fix the actual problem.
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 10:40 PM by papka__.)
(02-08-2009 08:59 PM)snarfle Wrote:  It's not a good idea. Like you say, the file may be corrupt. Especially in the case
of NMT, situations where your torrent clients exit are usually crashes or unclean
shutdowns. After a crash/unclean shutdown a hash check should always be done
to guarantee the integrity of the data files.

Instead of changing the options, I would recommend going after the source of the
problem (which is that the NMT crashes frequently). It would be better to collect
as much information on the crashes as you can and report them to Syabas so they
can maybe fix the actual problem.

For incomplete torrents hash checking is needed, but for completed? Files already checked and saved.
To wait for correction of all bugs in NMT (IMHO it's not possible) is equal to wait for Transmission without bugs/hangs.
Why we need Ctorrent? It's light, stable, quick NOW. But we can't normally use it because NMT sometime crash due to self bugs. As I tell for ex if NMT crashes 1 time in a week - I need 2 days for recheck due to HD content size. Due to recheck it's not possible to use NMT normally. We need useful Ctorrent now - not after all bugs will be fixed.
02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Quote:For incomplete torrents hash checking is needed, but for completed? Files already checked and saved.

The fact that the files were checked and saved at one point does not mean
they will stay that way. While admittedly it is unlikely that data corruption
will occur, silent corruption after a crash is not unheard of. Therefore the default
behavior can be considered a normal precaution.

I don't understand why it's "not possible to use NMT normally". I restarted my
NMT earlier this evening with about 10GB worth of torrents downloaded and
they were done checking after I finished watching a movie (on the NMT) while
it was busy.

The other problem with disabling hash-checks is that there is currently no way
of doing it automatically. YODCTCS is "dumb" in the sense that it just hands
over control to the ctorrent process. The ctorrent process won't know if a file
is for seeding or for downloading unless it does its hash-check, or you tell it
manually by adding a '-f' flag. Because YODCTCS can't decide what to use
a -f flag on, it's not currently possible to do it automatically.

The author of YODCTCS is also aware of this issue. See this thread on the
OpenWRT forum for a discussion about the topic (dske is the author):
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=13263&p=2

I don't believe this is something which can be "fixed" (though again, I don't
believe it's broken) without modifying YODCTCS, which is not something I
have the time or the will for these days.

All that being said, as a work-around for you, what you could do is move
or copy all the .torrent files for torrents you completed to a separate
directory (possibly by using the -X option to ctorrent) and use a script like
so (off the top of my head, not sure if it'll run):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /share/Completed
ls *.torrent |awk '{system("ctorrent -S localhost:9001 -p 59332 -f \""$0"\"")}'
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
And this will be the best solution for completed torrents ,with we want to seed.
In this code you for sure forgot about -d switch ,witch sets cTorrent as daemon process (backgrounding it)
02-08-2009, 11:41 PM
(02-08-2009 11:20 PM)snarfle Wrote:  The fact that the files were checked and saved at one point does not mean
they will stay that way. While admittedly it is unlikely that data corruption
will occur, silent corruption after a crash is not unheard of. Therefore the default
behavior can be considered a normal precaution.

I don't understand why it's "not possible to use NMT normally". I restarted my
NMT earlier this evening with about 10GB worth of torrents downloaded and
they were done checking after I finished watching a movie (on the NMT) while
it was busy.

The other problem with disabling hash-checks is that there is currently no way
of doing it automatically. YODCTCS is "dumb" in the sense that it just hands
over control to the ctorrent process. The ctorrent process won't know if a file
is for seeding or for downloading unless it does its hash-check, or you tell it
manually by adding a '-f' flag. Because YODCTCS can't decide what to use
a -f flag on, it's not currently possible to do it automatically.

The author of YODCTCS is also aware of this issue. See this thread on the
OpenWRT forum for a discussion about the topic (dske is the author):
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=13263&p=2

I don't believe this is something which can be "fixed" (though again, I don't
believe it's broken) without modifying YODCTCS, which is not something I
have the time or the will for these days.

All that being said, as a work-around for you, what you could do is move
or copy all the .torrent files for torrents you completed to a separate
directory (possibly by using the -X option to ctorrent) and use a script like
so (off the top of my head, not sure if it'll run):

Code:
#!/bin/sh

cd /share/Completed
ls *.torrent |awk '{system("ctorrent -S localhost:9001 -p 59332 -f \""$0"\"")}'

Hmm.... It's not so bad solution. Thanks. Will try tomorrow.
02-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah! Your workaround is cool. With some modifications it's working for me very good. Smile Thanks a lot.
02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi guys,
Why don't you try rtorrent? It's really great!
and the web ui (rtgui) is fantastic.

what abouy it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  CTorrent webgui Daskie 0 759 01-21-2013 10:16 PM
Last Post: Daskie
Exclamation Problem with enhanced cTorrent: no web admin cosmos 2 1,746 03-07-2012 08:09 PM
Last Post: aguilui
  Which is faster? Transmission or cTorrent? stryker74 1 1,979 07-28-2011 07:59 AM
Last Post: Darksir
  ctorrent stalled chimpybits 1 2,043 05-30-2010 09:55 AM
Last Post: chimpybits
  Dissapointed with Transmission (and cTorrent) ds99jove 1 3,201 12-01-2009 05:15 AM
Last Post: gtdaqua
  cTorrent webui crashing deGauss 18 7,629 11-02-2009 09:44 AM
Last Post: papka__
  Torrent Clients Compared: cTorrent, BTPD, Transmission vlieter 18 20,010 10-20-2009 08:58 AM
Last Post: pierrot2k
  Ctorrent & trackers aroymak 4 2,990 10-12-2009 06:23 PM
Last Post: Asmo83
  cTorrent Transmision problem: add tracker & resume jimbim 3 5,220 04-06-2009 11:18 AM
Last Post: gtdaqua
  Transmission vs Ctorrent Darksir 0 3,961 02-18-2009 09:04 AM
Last Post: Darksir