Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
Thread Closed 
Advantages and disadvantages of PS3 and Xbox 360
02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Advantages and disadvantages of PS3 and Xbox 360
I thought this would make a good thread, rather than just posting fanboy comments I think it is a good idea to post the advantages and disadvantages of both so you can make your own mind up about which to buy

PS3:
Advantages:
-It has a blue-ray player which gives better sound and graphics
-It has free wifi
-It doesn't use a points system for downloads so you know exactly how much you are buying something for
-Free online music streaming (vidzone)
-It has BBC iplayer
-It can run linux OS so it can double up as a pc (not on the slim)
-You can get play TV on it
-you can connect your psp to your PS3 and remotely access your PS3
-folding @ home helps find cures for diseases by using some of the PS3's processing power
-Has a low failure rate (although these rates are changing from year to year.
-Lots of media support such as photos, videos and music.
-Controllers charged by usb cable.
-It has a browser

Disadvantages:
-It is expensive although prices are on their way down
-not all models have backwards compatibility

Xbox 360:
Advantages:
-Cheaper than the PS3
-The online community is larger than that of the PS3
-Lots of popular exclusives (although the same can be said for the PS3)

Disadvantages:
-High failure rate, often exceeding 50% (again these values change from year to year)
-Uses HD DVD's which are a little outdated and can hold less data than Blue-ray
-Controllers are powered by batteries (but you can get wired ones)
-You have to buy a wifi adaptor to play wireless
-You have to pay per month to use xbox live.

Above all pick the console that is best for you, don't listen to fanboys just make your own mind up
I probably left a few out, all suggestions welcome
Find all posts by this user
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2010 01:52 PM by aaronwt.)
RE: Advantages and disadvantages of PS3 and Xbox 360
The Points system with MS is a positive. Points are always on sale so I always get 1600 points for between $10 and $14. If they only used a dollar amount, a $20 card would always cost $20. So this is a disadvanatge for the PS3 since everything is more expensive.

the 360 controller is also an advantage over the PS3. By using batteries you can easily replace them as needed, or you can get a rechargable battery and quickly replace it when it's low. With the PS3, it uses a non removable battery So when the battery is low, you have to be thethered to a USB port to charge it and to be able to keep playing. With removable batteries you easily replace it as needed. I use rechargeable batteries with all my 360 controllers.

Xbox Live is also only $2 to $2.50 a month. I always pay $24 to at most $30 a year for the service. And the service is easily much, much better than the free PS3 Network. And you can also use NetFlix streaming without having to stick a disc in like with the PS3.

I've owned ten Xbox360s since 2005 and my failure rate is 10%.

The 360 is also a Media Center Extender which is also another positive. The PS3 is not an MCE. Eight of my nine PCs has Windows Media center on them.

I also own two PS3s, one Slim and one Fat. They just sit there now, especially since getting my C200, A200, and Xtreamer and I only view the BD ISOs now so the one reason I still had for using the PS3s, BD, is now gone. Although I will be selling off my five stand alone BD players and my PS3 Fat. Leaving me the PS3 Slim on the off chance I want to view the actual disc from a BD title.

I am still in the process of ripping my 355 BD titles and 374 HD DVD titles. But when I want t watch something, I will rip it first now before viewing it.

A-400: Intel 330 Series SSD 60GB -> iScan DUO -> Denon 3808(audio only) -> Darblet -> Mitsubishi RP DLP
A-400: Patriot Inferno SSD 60GB -> Sony 2.1 speaker Bar -> Darblet -> LG 3D LCD
C-200: WD Caviar Blue 500GB -> iScan DUO -> Denon 3808(audio only) -> Darblet -> Mitsubishi RP DLP
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
02-19-2010, 11:35 PM
(02-19-2010 01:38 PM)aaronwt Wrote:  The Points system with MS is a positive. Points are always on sale so I always get 1600 points for between $10 and $14. If they only used a dollar amount, a $20 card would always cost $20. So this is a disadvanatge for the PS3 since everything is more expensive.

the 360 controller is also an advantage over the PS3. By using batteries you can easily replace them as needed, or you can get a rechargable battery and quickly replace it when it's low. With the PS3, it uses a non removable battery So when the battery is low, you have to be thethered to a USB port to charge it and to be able to keep playing. With removable batteries you easily replace it as needed. I use rechargeable batteries with all my 360 controllers.

Xbox Live is also only $2 to $2.50 a month. I always pay $24 to at most $30 a year for the service. And the service is easily much, much better than the free PS3 Network. And you can also use NetFlix streaming without having to stick a disc in like with the PS3.

I've owned ten Xbox360s since 2005 and my failure rate is 10%.

The 360 is also a Media Center Extender which is also another positive. The PS3 is not an MCE. Eight of my nine PCs has Windows Media center on them.

I also own two PS3s, one Slim and one Fat. They just sit there now, especially since getting my C200, A200, and Xtreamer and I only view the BD ISOs now so the one reason I still had for using the PS3s, BD, is now gone. Although I will be selling off my five stand alone BD players and my PS3 Fat. Leaving me the PS3 Slim on the off chance I want to view the actual disc from a BD title.

I am still in the process of ripping my 355 BD titles and 374 HD DVD titles. But when I want t watch something, I will rip it first now before viewing it.

Why would you do that? I don't understand why I would use my time ripping a disc to play in a gadget that is inferior in output (c-200) to the native format of the PS3. Unless I wanted to share it across multiple units maybe???? Be interesting to get your thoughts on that in case I'm missing something (might be an age thing).

And maybe for the kids when they watch their stuff over and over, but I watch a movie and generally that's it for years. Personally I'll always use the PS3 for Blu-Ray but do like the other media facets of the c-200.

PS3 is strong on iplayer, vidzone, decent internet access for nuvids.com and audiotube.com and it beats the c-200 hands down IMHO. They gotta fix the constant lockups of the c-200 on the network soon - mine is rubbish if I forget and tax it by copying data and browsing at the same time ! That is seriously PANTS !

Getting back to the topic.... I borrowed and xbox before I got the PS3 and was well impressed by the photo displays (PS3 has caught up now) but wouldn't work with Twonky and I wasn't prepared to use media extension. Twonky on my NAS is my preferred distribution; that had to be PS3 at the time. It's one of those things that some love, some hate. I hate media extender as it just seems to be another eason to keep PCs running when a NAS is just more convenient, and simpler to me. Just a personal preference though.

Like Sony... I think MS could hit more market by opening up the standards. I bought my PS3 as I preferred it's media offering to the xbox... bought the c-200 as I thought it would offer more support of video files. This is becoming an expensive hobby !Undecided
02-20-2010, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2010 01:27 AM by aaronwt.)
(02-19-2010 11:35 PM)papajohn Wrote:  Why would you do that? I don't understand why I would use my time ripping a disc to play in a gadget that is inferior in output (c-200) to the native format of the PS3. Unless I wanted to share it across multiple units maybe???? Be interesting to get your thoughts on that in case I'm missing something (might be an age thing).

And maybe for the kids when they watch their stuff over and over, but I watch a movie and generally that's it for years. Personally I'll always use the PS3 for Blu-Ray but do like the other media facets of the c-200.

PS3 is strong on iplayer, vidzone, decent internet access for nuvids.com and audiotube.com and it beats the c-200 hands down IMHO. They gotta fix the constant lockups of the c-200 on the network soon - mine is rubbish if I forget and tax it by copying data and browsing at the same time ! That is seriously PANTS !

Getting back to the topic.... I borrowed and xbox before I got the PS3 and was well impressed by the photo displays (PS3 has caught up now) but wouldn't work with Twonky and I wasn't prepared to use media extension. Twonky on my NAS is my preferred distribution; that had to be PS3 at the time. It's one of those things that some love, some hate. I hate media extender as it just seems to be another eason to keep PCs running when a NAS is just more convenient, and simpler to me. Just a personal preference though.

Like Sony... I think MS could hit more market by opening up the standards. I bought my PS3 as I preferred it's media offering to the xbox... bought the c-200 as I thought it would offer more support of video files. This is becoming an expensive hobby !Undecided

How is the C200 output of BD ISOs inferior to the PS3 output of a Blu-ray Disc? It is the same with a properly calibrated system. Audio is bitstreamed(at least with a PS3 SLim) with both.
Now the C200 still has some issues with Discs with PiP, but aside from that the playback is identical. only I don't need to wade through hundreds of discs. I can easily pick something out from my Network storage and start watching it.
I hate dealing with discs of any kind. And I'm too lazy to organize my hundreds of titles. Although I'm sure with in the next few years I will dump all my BD and HD DVD discs, just like I did with all my DVDs a few years ago. At the very least i will throw them in my storage unit. Waiting for the day I decide to donate them to a local charity(like I did with my DVDs)

A-400: Intel 330 Series SSD 60GB -> iScan DUO -> Denon 3808(audio only) -> Darblet -> Mitsubishi RP DLP
A-400: Patriot Inferno SSD 60GB -> Sony 2.1 speaker Bar -> Darblet -> LG 3D LCD
C-200: WD Caviar Blue 500GB -> iScan DUO -> Denon 3808(audio only) -> Darblet -> Mitsubishi RP DLP
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Internet access grinds to a halt (Xbox) Bazrah 3 1,561 09-12-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Specter
  A NMT or Player or Xbox 360 - A Rookie Needs Help! pbusardo 10 2,590 09-24-2009 02:02 PM
Last Post: daniel_owen_uk
  XBOX as NMT?? nosvet 6 3,377 02-03-2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: cheaper_popcorn