Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
Thread Closed 
Is Google TV going to steal the NMT show?
05-26-2010, 01:05 AM
RE: Is Google TV going to steal the NMT show?
^^ Audio will always be a separate system I agree there. But you figure most people dont even have external speakers of any sort just us strange folk that like the best. And for people that can have a dedicated theater room like you. I wish I could have one maybe my next home.

But looking at the big picture, amazon,netflix,vudu are now offering 1080p movies although without HD audio as home internet speed wont handle it for most, leaving the option not to have a bluray player, We have online gaming services like onlive that are promising to bring computer games straight to the tv with a thin client no need for a fancy pc although I think this is a long way from replacing console games its in the right direction. we are slowly dwindling down the devices we need. googletv is not ment as a media player. its ment as the management system for much more.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to halfelite for this post
05-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Anyone know how much Region Locking it will feature? The usual crappy itunes-like restrictions, or more Googly-open ?

I'd be very wary to dismiss anything Google does, I just wonder if it is yet another USA-targeted product. Which would be a shame, since its a 3rd world country when it comes to bandwidth at home Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2010, 01:23 AM
(05-26-2010 01:19 AM)lundman Wrote:  Anyone know how much Region Locking it will feature? The usual crappy itunes-like restrictions, or more Googly-open ?

I'd be very wary to dismiss anything Google does, I just wonder if it is yet another USA-targeted product. Which would be a shame, since its a 3rd world country when it comes to bandwidth at home Smile

I think it depends on the content from the way I understand it will run the android OS which is pretty open. Then there will be "widgets" that snap into the system that could be locked down.
05-26-2010, 06:12 AM
(05-25-2010 04:12 PM)mithrilG60 Wrote:  You can already get an Android-based media player. HDX's Bone is a dual-boot unit that runs both the HDX Voir and Android OS's. It also acts as a 2.5" usb powered portable drive if you put a drive in it. That seems much more like competition for Sybas' NMT than Google TV since it actually is an NMT in it's own right.

You're right, HDX Bone, seems much more of a PCH killer. I hadn't heard of that box, thanks for the info. The Acer box seemed to get mixed press from a few reviews I read, "The Inquirer" called it a joke.

(05-25-2010 04:12 PM)mithrilG60 Wrote:  I'm with Spawn and Chris57 on this, I fail to see how GoogleTV is going to be competition for a full NMT. I occasionally use the internet radio feature on my A200 (and the A100 before it) but I haven't, nor do I have the desire to ever, watch crappy low quality internet streamed video on my home theatre. Chrome browser on a setup box? Why?

Have you not seen HTML5 HD content in Chrome?, it's pretty damn clear on my 46" Samsung. A lot can change in 6 months in the tech world.

(05-25-2010 04:12 PM)mithrilG60 Wrote:  Besides, you have to know that most of GoogleTV's content is going to be geocoded anyways. You're Canadian: NetFlix, Hulu, etc..... can you get them at your house without using an anonymous proxy to disguise the country your connection is originating from? No? It's going to be the same with most of the content GoogleTV offers. For that hassle it's much easier just download actual high quality content and use an NMT.

Hey, there is always zip.ca Big Grin I tried Hulu through a proxy, but honestly found the interface a bit busy. I just kinda laugh when people shoot something down when all the specs of what the companion box has are not even known yet. For all we know they could make the companion box with all the same options as PCH or the Bone box. Who knows, the more players, the better the competition and more bang for our buck hopefully.

I would hope with Sony, Google, Logitech and Adobe partnering together, they would look at the market landscape and make a catch-all box that would nullify the competition. I wouldn't count out Apple as you know how Jobs hates to be upstaged...especially by Google & Adobe. That being said, anything Apple would do would most likely be totally locked down and not hackable.

PCH -A-110
Firmware Version :01-17-100317-15-POP-403
NMT Apps Version :00-17-091216-15-POP-403
Rutabaga YAMJ JukeBox Skin Updated Rev 1.44
WD Caviar Green 1TB Internal Drive
Samsung LN46A750
05-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Even if it is 1080p it is still low bitrate stuff. I start with that type for initial watching but for anything that's going to be archived it has to be Bluray or a good x264 rip with a decent bitrate not some low quality 1080p.

I don't want an Android phone, bone or TV, I want a C200 with a flash UI and if I must popapps. Call me a ludite but my priorities remain the same as they were 3 years ago, playback quality is my number one priority followed closely by excellent codec support.

Sony, Apple etc. combining together contradicts your point about competition being good etc. If they combined together into one monopoly then we would see a media player with only their own supported codecs, all sorts of protection/lockdown, and a hefty price tag.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM
(05-26-2010 01:05 AM)halfelite Wrote:  ^^ Audio will always be a separate system I agree there. But you figure most people dont even have external speakers of any sort just us strange folk that like the best. And for people that can have a dedicated theater room like you. I wish I could have one maybe my next home.

But looking at the big picture, amazon,netflix,vudu are now offering 1080p movies although without HD audio as home internet speed wont handle it for most, leaving the option not to have a bluray player, We have online gaming services like onlive that are promising to bring computer games straight to the tv with a thin client no need for a fancy pc although I think this is a long way from replacing console games its in the right direction. we are slowly dwindling down the devices we need. googletv is not ment as a media player. its ment as the management system for much more.
Yes I admit it is heading the way of everything being on the internet.....this is good and bad as you will be able to get a lot more content at a lot lower prices than we have today....however it also means that if we go this route we will be trapped under the whims of the big wigs....look at Hulu for instance, if they opened up Hulu so any device could use it that would be awesome....but they haven't.
(05-26-2010 01:23 AM)halfelite Wrote:  
(05-26-2010 01:19 AM)lundman Wrote:  Anyone know how much Region Locking it will feature? The usual crappy itunes-like restrictions, or more Googly-open ?

I think it depends on the content from the way I understand it will run the android OS which is pretty open. Then there will be "widgets" that snap into the system that could be locked down.
I've had an Android phone for a long time and the possibilities will be literally limitless on the Android platform as the modding community is HUGE and will only get bigger. I've had 3rd party rom's on my phone since the day I got it! Smile
(05-26-2010 08:43 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I don't want an Android phone, bone or TV, I want a C200 with a flash UI and if I must popapps. Call me a ludite but my priorities remain the same as they were 3 years ago, playback quality is my number one priority followed closely by excellent codec support.

Sony, Apple etc. combining together contradicts your point about competition being good etc. If they combined together into one monopoly then we would see a media player with only their own supported codecs, all sorts of protection/lockdown, and a hefty price tag.
Sorry Chris but if google is using Android I bet you anything they are developing the platform around Tegra 2 right now. And if thats the case IMO Sigma doesn't stand a chance. The things that that chip can do are simply mind boggling.

The Man Cave My Library
Yamaha RX-V663, C-200, EMP, Mordaunt Short 506's, HSU VTF2 MK3
05-26-2010, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 04:57 PM by voip-ninja.)
Really when you boil this down to the bottom of the soup pan what you are left with is increasing convergence in the media center space and increased presence of streaming in the home.

We are already streaming our own (in many cases very high quality) content around in our homes with these boxes and Popbox is going to add even more main stream streaming services (in addition to Netflix I would anticipate Amazon, etc, on the Popbox).

The reality is that while there will always be a market for a pristine high quality copy of a movie (a la Blu-ray) your typical consumer just doesn't give a crap if it is highly compressed 1080P or 720P garbage that they are watching. They just want that same convenience that we enjoy of pushing a button and watching a movie. They sure as hell don't want to deal with going through the three or four step process we currently employ to rip a BD to a .mkv file, deal with audio format issues, stuttering, subtitle problems, etc.

Google TV is bringing some seriously big players into this space and Syabas, TiVo, Roku, etc, are on notice.... improve your offerings dramatically or be relegated to the dustbin of history.
05-26-2010, 06:37 PM
What do you guys suggest? Should I hold on to my Pobbox pre-order or cancel it? Is their any possibility ever that pobox will have an internet browser? That is the only extra thing I need out of popbox (and XBMC ;-)).
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
(05-26-2010 06:37 PM)pattanbd Wrote:  What do you guys suggest? Should I hold on to my Pobbox pre-order or cancel it? Is their any possibility ever that pobox will have an internet browser? That is the only extra thing I need out of popbox (and XBMC ;-)).

Why would you cancel your pre-order when the product is unlikely to ship for at least another month or two?

We don't know what the Popbox is going to have in the way of popapps. There could be a browser although I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

If you need a full blown browser for some reason then just build an HTPC. Problem solved.
05-28-2010, 08:25 PM
(05-26-2010 08:43 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I don't want an Android phone, bone or TV, I want a C200 with a flash UI and if I must popapps. Call me a ludite but my priorities remain the same as they were 3 years ago, playback quality is my number one priority followed closely by excellent codec support.

I think you just called yourself a Luddite, by shunning progressive technology and marginalizing yourself to one company. Big Grin

(05-26-2010 08:43 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Sony, Apple etc. combining together contradicts your point about competition being good etc. If they combined together into one monopoly then we would see a media player with only their own supported codecs, all sorts of protection/lockdown, and a hefty price tag.

Google is known for using open source, so I don't think they'd partner up with Logitech, Sony, Adobe, if said companies are wanting Apple/Sony like past protection measures. Sony has been in the tank for sometime now, so I"m sure they are wanting to do anything to stop the bleeding.

Even once they partner up and release the companion box, that leaves UMPTEEN other companies that I can think of to compete with them (Syabas, HDX, Asus, WD, Xstreamer, Brite-View) 6 of which are quite well known.

playback quality is my number one priority followed closely by excellent codec support as well. However if another company can do it better without buggy firmware, a fully functional YAMJ like interface that is built in and ready to roll, is fast....Then sign me up!

PCH -A-110
Samsung LN46A750
06-01-2010, 06:09 PM
(05-26-2010 06:12 AM)hazmat Wrote:  Have you not seen HTML5 HD content in Chrome?, it's pretty damn clear on my 46" Samsung. A lot can change in 6 months in the tech world.

I personally don't like anything about Chrome, I find it a horrible interface and browsing experience. IMHO Google should stick to what they know instead of trying to become the next Windows. However my comment was really more to do with the fact that there's nothing I want to stream live off the web that I can't already get and download in far higher quality to play on my existing NMT. I already have a computer, several in fact, that I use to obtain, manage and store my media content as well as fulfill all the other roles a computer has. That media content is streamed to a my home theatre via a single set-top box..... where is the added value in GoogleTV? How does it simplify my life? There is none and it doesn't, it's just a different method of doing everything I can already do in a manner that I have no desire to do it.

If there was I'd have built an HTPC and fully by-passed the set-top boxes that want to pretend and play at being computers. As for the Acer box, "The Inquirer" can call it a joke all they want (I actually couldn't find anything of the sort in a 5 min search on their site, but I'll take your word for it) but I've already installed several of the R3610's for friends that wanted a PC in their home theatre's instead of a set-top box. They are more than capable of playing any 1080p content including 1:1 BD rip as well as web browsing and checking email. If you want a gaming rig hooked up then you obviously need something else. For simple media playback and/or basic computer use the Acer Revo Ion is more than sufficient

(05-26-2010 06:12 AM)hazmat Wrote:  Hey, there is always zip.ca Big Grin I tried Hulu through a proxy, but honestly found the interface a bit busy. I just kinda laugh when people shoot something down when all the specs of what the companion box has are not even known yet. For all we know they could make the companion box with all the same options as PCH or the Bone box. Who knows, the more players, the better the competition and more bang for our buck hopefully.

If they come out with a different box then it might be worth while, the specs of the box are not what I have issue with. What I think is pointless is the intent and use of the box. Like I said before, I already have a device that can play the relatively low quality content that you find on streaming internet sites..... it's called a computer. I don't need that capability in my set-top box. Like most people that NMT's are targeted at I need a set-top box what will seamlessly play downloaded media and while GoogleTV may be able to do that, there's no indication that GoogleTV can or will offer any improvements over the existing solutions.

PCH A-200 // AppleTV // Denon AVR-790 // Jamo S413 HSC5 + OrbAudio Mod1X // Samsung PN64F8500
06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
(06-01-2010 06:09 PM)mithrilG60 Wrote:  I personally don't like anything about Chrome, I find it a horrible interface and browsing experience. IMHO Google should stick to what they know instead of trying to become the next Windows. However my comment was really more to do with the fact that there's nothing I want to stream live off the web that I can't already get and download in far higher quality to play on my existing NMT. I already have a computer, several in fact, that I use to obtain, manage and store my media content as well as fulfill all the other roles a computer has. That media content is streamed to a my home theatre via a single set-top box..... where is the added value in GoogleTV? How does it simplify my life? There is none and it doesn't, it's just a different method of doing everything I can already do in a manner that I have no desire to do it.

If there was I'd have built an HTPC and fully by-passed the set-top boxes that want to pretend and play at being computers. As for the Acer box, "The Inquirer" can call it a joke all they want (I actually couldn't find anything of the sort in a 5 min search on their site, but I'll take your word for it) but I've already installed several of the R3610's for friends that wanted a PC in their home theatre's instead of a set-top box. They are more than capable of playing any 1080p content including 1:1 BD rip as well as web browsing and checking email. If you want a gaming rig hooked up then you obviously need something else. For simple media playback and/or basic computer use the Acer Revo Ion is more than sufficient

(05-26-2010 06:12 AM)hazmat Wrote:  Hey, there is always zip.ca Big Grin I tried Hulu through a proxy, but honestly found the interface a bit busy. I just kinda laugh when people shoot something down when all the specs of what the companion box has are not even known yet. For all we know they could make the companion box with all the same options as PCH or the Bone box. Who knows, the more players, the better the competition and more bang for our buck hopefully.

If they come out with a different box then it might be worth while, the specs of the box are not what I have issue with. What I think is pointless is the intent and use of the box. Like I said before, I already have a device that can play the relatively low quality content that you find on streaming internet sites..... it's called a computer. I don't need that capability in my set-top box. Like most people that NMT's are targeted at I need a set-top box what will seamlessly play downloaded media and while GoogleTV may be able to do that, there's no indication that GoogleTV can or will offer any improvements over the existing solutions.

I think you missed the point completely. A solution like this would be geared towards end users not geeks that have the ability to build their own machines and configured the software. Its an out of the box solution that requires little to no technical knowledge to setup and maintain. Also it would be a stand alone solution for people that either don't have the ability or don't want to run a server or another PC to stream content off of.

The Man Cave My Library
Yamaha RX-V663, C-200, EMP, Mordaunt Short 506's, HSU VTF2 MK3
06-02-2010, 06:23 AM
(06-01-2010 06:09 PM)mithrilG60 Wrote:  I personally don't like anything about Chrome, I find it a horrible interface and browsing experience. IMHO Google should stick to what they know instead of trying to become the next Windows. However my comment was really more to do with the fact that there's nothing I want to stream live off the web that I can't already get and download in far higher quality to play on my existing NMT. I already have a computer, several in fact, that I use to obtain, manage and store my media content as well as fulfill all the other roles a computer has. That media content is streamed to a my home theatre via a single set-top box..... where is the added value in GoogleTV? How does it simplify my life? There is none and it doesn't, it's just a different method of doing everything I can already do in a manner that I have no desire to do it.

I find the new version of Chrome to be lightening fast and now has pretty much all the plugins as Firefox, but browser preference is a personal choice. People said the same thing about Apple when they were developing the iPhone "stick to what you know" Fortunately they didn't heed that advice from the masses.
I applaud companies that take chances outside of the their expected realm. I also have to laugh when companies drop the ball in a market they once dominated. IE: Sony "personal media players"

Again, you're stating your personal preference regarding streaming and search and storage. Joe average doesn't want to manage numerous PC's. I don't say this disparagingly as I'm a techno geek, but you're explaining a "Geek" setup. Joe average doesn't want the headache. Joe average want's to have everything in one spot and have it actually "work" from the get go. They don't give a crap about quality differences when watching a movie trailer and probably couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Google & Co are going to market this to the masses, not the niche set top box market. However, as I said, if somebody can do it better with the same playability as PCH regardless if it's Google or someone else. I'd be willing to give it a go.

(06-01-2010 06:09 PM)mithrilG60 Wrote:  If there was I'd have built an HTPC and fully by-passed the set-top boxes that want to pretend and play at being computers. As for the Acer box, "The Inquirer" can call it a joke all they want (I actually couldn't find anything of the sort in a 5 min search on their site, but I'll take your word for it) but I've already installed several of the R3610's for friends that wanted a PC in their home theatre's instead of a set-top box. They are more than capable of playing any 1080p content including 1:1 BD rip as well as web browsing and checking email. If you want a gaming rig hooked up then you obviously need something else. For simple media playback and/or basic computer use the Acer Revo Ion is more than sufficient

By all means don't take my word for it read it here - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news...ion-nettop "Acer releases the Aspire Revo ion nettop-
Proves the platform is an overpriced joke" This looks like a different model than the one you've set up for friends. I'd had just looked it up as I hadn't heard of it or the HDX Bone box and that was the first review that came up in Google

PCH -A-110
Samsung LN46A750
06-02-2010, 04:18 PM
(06-02-2010 06:23 AM)hazmat Wrote:  Again, you're stating your personal preference regarding streaming and search and storage. Joe average doesn't want to manage numerous PC's. I don't say this disparagingly as I'm a techno geek, but you're explaining a "Geek" setup. Joe average doesn't want the headache. Joe average want's to have everything in one spot and have it actually "work" from the get go. They don't give a crap about quality differences when watching a movie trailer and probably couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Google & Co are going to market this to the masses, not the niche set top box market. However, as I said, if somebody can do it better with the same playability as PCH regardless if it's Google or someone else. I'd be willing to give it a go.

And here you finally hit the crux of the argument that the rest of us have been on about:

The NMT is not aimed at the Joe Six-pack level user, it's aimed at a more technical level user that: a) understands a bit about tech and media, b) demands and expects a certain level of quality out of the media they're going to play on it, and c) is will to do a certain amount of tinkering to get it to work.

You say that GoogleTV may be an NMT killer because it does all this extra stuff, I say they're aimed at completely different markets and the NMT market doesn't care about all the extra crap GoogleTV is promising. GoogleTV offers very very little added value to the average NMT user since their NMT already does everything they need from a streaming media player and they have at least one computer to do the rest with. The only thing that GoogleTV could possibly offer at this stage is a better default GUI and that advantage will also eventually disappear once PCH finally releases the RichUI they've been showing previews of for the last few months.

GoogleTV is attempting to be a dumbed down HTPC that's been locked down with proprietary controls and placed in a set-top box. Will it sell? Sure, there are always some people that will buy a new solution. Will it sell more than NMT's have? Possibly, they're aimed at different market and end user segments so there's really no comparison. NMT's disadvantage is that it's aimed at a technical user group which is by definition a small market. GoogleTV's problem is that it fits into a niche that's better handled by cheap nettop based HTPC's. I don't see GoogleTV being either a success or around for very long simply because there are already very good pre-existing solutions to everything it's claims to automate.

(06-02-2010 06:23 AM)hazmat Wrote:  By all means don't take my word for it read it here - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news...ion-nettop "Acer releases the Aspire Revo ion nettop-
Proves the platform is an overpriced joke" This looks like a different model than the one you've set up for friends. I'd had just looked it up as I hadn't heard of it or the HDX Bone box and that was the first review that came up in Google

Thanks for the link, no wonder I couldn't find it since it's a 14 months old opinion piece on Nvidia marketing and not an actual product review Wink You're right, they're talking about a model that's at least 18 months old and 2 or 3 hardware generations out of date. The current Revo is more than powerful enough to act as an HTPC and it already does everything GoogleTV promises it might be able do plus an awful lot more. At $330 CAD I'd also be willing to bet that it'll be a more cost effective solution than GoogleTV too (if it's ever released in Canada which I tend to doubt).

PCH A-200 // AppleTV // Denon AVR-790 // Jamo S413 HSC5 + OrbAudio Mod1X // Samsung PN64F8500
06-09-2010, 05:36 PM
The part I don't like about this is it seems people are pitting high quality playback against a potentially simpler/nicer UI & newer streaming content. While that might hold true at the initial release of a Android based STB, and there will always be some low-priced players for folks who are happy with that level, it's almost inevitable that eventually, the devices are going to converge. I reject that false dichotomy that I can choose a simple/nice UI and streaming OR good codec/AV. And given the world has moved to digital, this isn't like before where in the analog world, there were real costs involved in super high-end playback. Recognizing there are differences in codecs and underlying codec accelerating hardware, bits are bits. Which means the barriers to high end/high quality AV have been lowered.

My guess is it'll work like this:
* a "first edition" android device will be developed. It'll have streaming support, reasonable but not exceptional codec quality/support and may not be able to do things like play rips, but will be able to play BD disks. It'll be a bit expensive.

* Second generation (6-8 months) -- a lower priced unit -- probably functionally the same as the first. And a series of other manufacturers coming out with their take, at least one of which is pitched toward higher quality (and likely more expensive). At least one box will allow playing rips over the network.

* Third plus (12+ month) -- all but the lower end units will have very respectable AV decoders/quality. Higher end units will exist, with marginally better codec support/quality and higher price tags.

Android is a great platform to build on and allows all box makers to have access to all sorts of add-ons and features. While Google has and could make a mis-step with this, I believe that there is enough pent up demand from AV box makers to stop re-inventing the wheel that this has a very good chance of getting off the ground and going.

I feel the C200 device right now probably has the high-end AV potential, but is hobbled by instability, flakiness, a pokey and un-inspired interface and limited "other" media support. They have time to make this work (possibly by going Android or possibly by making all the promises come true and then some), but that window is closing.

I'll be keeping my eyes open over the next 12 months. It'll be exciting, one hopes, as exciting as the high-end cell phone and tablet worlds are getting now. But I would not bet against this sort of technology convergence (quality and excellent user experience) -- Apple, if no one else, has proven that concept pretty well.

Gerry
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A300 shipped but no email from Google checkout ReVeri3 2 1,393 01-23-2012 02:13 PM
Last Post: KevG123
  TV Show file structure question jsc1205 2 2,278 07-04-2011 08:19 PM
Last Post: jsc1205
  Howto show axis network camera stream on PCH Hurr1c4n3 6 3,380 05-22-2011 11:34 AM
Last Post: Hurr1c4n3
  Will Popcorn Hour be able to show online streams of the World Cup? mitch_shiver 5 3,950 06-16-2010 04:32 PM
Last Post: tennisbgc
Video WebM / VP8 codec from Google lundman 9 3,785 05-23-2010 01:44 AM
Last Post: larsmjo
  TV Show Jukebox?! Rusti-AU 4 2,145 04-29-2010 11:48 PM
Last Post: shadowrunner
  Can you delete a show from a network share on a PC? clambert 2 1,380 01-18-2010 01:29 AM
Last Post: clambert
  Google on the Popcorn Hour. medialover 6 11,153 02-16-2009 11:38 PM
Last Post: dc11ab
  Google Checkout Problem frimilden 2 1,708 12-08-2008 08:38 PM
Last Post: frimilden
  MKV files don't show up under movies list dartsharks1 3 2,089 12-08-2008 03:56 AM
Last Post: dartsharks1