Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
Thread Closed 
"no content found on server" nothing wrong on the PC side
10-31-2010, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2010 04:07 PM by johnpoz.)
RE: "no content found on server" nothing wrong on the PC side
"You can force the PCH to be the master browser"

The easiest way to make sure your PCH is the master browser is to just set your other machines Never to be the browser, the quickest easiest way to do this is just turn off the computer browser service.

You can also edit the registry, etc. But its just easier to set the computer browser service to disabled -- only reason it is needed is if the machines is going to be the master browser or backup browser, etc.

As to seeing the shares after installing old WL stuff -- it was prob more to a reboot than anything else, and then the PCH became the master browser.

To disable the computer browser service on your machines.. Run services.msc, highlight computer browser service and set to disabled.

[Image: masterbrowser.jpg]

In troubleshooting browsing issues -- you really need to understand which machine on your network is the master browser.. This can be done by hand with nbtstat command, example

C:\Windows\System32>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.99
gig:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
PCH <00> UNIQUE Registered
PCH <03> UNIQUE Registered
PCH <20> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
LOCAL <1D> UNIQUE Registered
LOCAL <1E> GROUP Registered
LOCAL <00> GROUP Registered

From linux you can find it with
nmblookup -M -- -.
querying __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.99 __MSBROWSE__<01>

smbclient can also show it using name or IP

smbclient -L pch -N
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[LOCAL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.32]
Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
share Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (SMP8634 Share)
Server Comment
--------- -------
P4-28G
PCH SMP8634 Share
QUAD-W7
UBUNTU ubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
LOCAL PCH

If you have xp machines you can use the browstat tool from MS, but since you say you only have w7 you could use this tool

Here is some info on finding the browser master, and a great little script for finding it as well
http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-...workgroup/

C:\tools>lanscan.exe
LANscanner v1.3 - ScottiesTech.Info
Scanning LAN...
P4-28G 192.168.1.4 00-0D-56-F0-F0-09 LOCAL
PCH 192.168.1.99 00-00-00-00-00-00 LOCAL MASTER
QUAD-W7 192.168.1.100 00-21-9B-03-AC-A7 LOCAL
UBUNTU 192.168.1.6 00-00-00-00-00-00 LOCAL

Knowing who the master browser is or is not on your network is the first step in troubleshooting network browsing.. Here are some good general docs on understanding how browsing works, and troubleshooting it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/de...laylang=en
Computer Browsing for SOHO Networks with Microsoft Windows

Troubleshooting Computer Browsing on SOHO Networks with Microsoft Windows

As already mentioned, I would just let your popcorn be your master browser -- its prob always on anyway, and likes to be the browser to boot.. Just turn off the services on your other pcs that are prob on and off the network all the time and cause disruptions in your browse list.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to johnpoz for this post
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2010 10:57 PM by Gort.)
I have the same issue but don't think that I can use the "disable computer browser solution" to address it. See below:

Background:
-4 windows 7 computers, no XP computers.
-my router has a USB attached shared hard drive and the router is also a DLNA server.
-I can share folders and stream video between all four computer, all can see each others shares plus the router's shared drive and its DLNA server.
-running Lanscanner reports that my master browser is my router. That is why I don't think I can disable it - also there is no way to disable the browser service in the router's web admin.
-I do have network connectivity to and from the PCH - I can ping the PCH from any computer and it does reply. My router shows it as an "attached device". I can access web services from the PCH eg. Shoutcast
-When I run nbtstat -A with the PCH IP it returns "Host not found"

The Problem:
-I can see no shared folders from the PCH - not even on the shared drive attached to the router. That would seems to rule out a Windows issue since the router does not run Windows. But both the router (and I think the PCH) do run linux and I wonder if this http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...79a5597527 may be the issue?
-A PCH network scan returns "No content found"
-I have been fighting with this for three weeks and am out of ideas. Any help appreciated.

GB-PVR User
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2010 04:15 PM by Scorpys.)
i have the same error for me,i format my computer and same result.

ok find the problem,the pch assign the same ip adress with my tv box,i change it and work Smile

Panasonic th-42px60e
HomeCinema Yamaha 4115
DUNE
11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
(10-31-2010 04:05 PM)johnpoz Wrote:  "You can force the PCH to be the master browser"

The easiest way to make sure your PCH is the master browser is to just set your other machines Never to be the browser, the quickest easiest way to do this is just turn off the computer browser service.

You can also edit the registry, etc. But its just easier to set the computer browser service to disabled -- only reason it is needed is if the machines is going to be the master browser or backup browser, etc.

As to seeing the shares after installing old WL stuff -- it was prob more to a reboot than anything else, and then the PCH became the master browser.

To disable the computer browser service on your machines.. Run services.msc, highlight computer browser service and set to disabled.

[Image: masterbrowser.jpg]

In troubleshooting browsing issues -- you really need to understand which machine on your network is the master browser.. This can be done by hand with nbtstat command, example

C:\Windows\System32>nbtstat -A 192.168.1.99
gig:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
PCH <00> UNIQUE Registered
PCH <03> UNIQUE Registered
PCH <20> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
LOCAL <1D> UNIQUE Registered
LOCAL <1E> GROUP Registered
LOCAL <00> GROUP Registered

From linux you can find it with
nmblookup -M -- -.
querying __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.99 __MSBROWSE__<01>

smbclient can also show it using name or IP

smbclient -L pch -N
Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
share Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (SMP8634 Share)
Server Comment
--------- -------
P4-28G
PCH SMP8634 Share
QUAD-W7
UBUNTU ubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
LOCAL PCH

If you have xp machines you can use the browstat tool from MS, but since you say you only have w7 you could use this tool

Here is some info on finding the browser master, and a great little script for finding it as well
http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-...workgroup/

C:\tools>lanscan.exe
LANscanner v1.3 - ScottiesTech.Info
Scanning LAN...
P4-28G 192.168.1.4 00-0D-56-F0-F0-09 LOCAL
PCH 192.168.1.99 00-00-00-00-00-00 LOCAL MASTER
QUAD-W7 192.168.1.100 00-21-9B-03-AC-A7 LOCAL
UBUNTU 192.168.1.6 00-00-00-00-00-00 LOCAL

Knowing who the master browser is or is not on your network is the first step in troubleshooting network browsing.. Here are some good general docs on understanding how browsing works, and troubleshooting it

Computer Browsing for SOHO Networks with Microsoft Windows

Troubleshooting Computer Browsing on SOHO Networks with Microsoft Windows

As already mentioned, I would just let your popcorn be your master browser -- its prob always on anyway, and likes to be the browser to boot.. Just turn off the services on your other pcs that are prob on and off the network all the time and cause disruptions in your browse list.

Thank you for this.... it worked perfect for me and my W7 pc's.Big Grin

Is there a way to share a folder from my W7 pc to only my PCH C-200? Or do I have to share with everybody for it to work?
11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Well I guess I spoke to soon. After I shut off all of my W7 pc's and turned on today my PCH C200 can't find homegroup now. So I can't see anything on my W7 pc's again. I can see all the XP pc's fine like before. I have done everything it says to do on WIKI and also here. Is there anything else I should try? Do I need to disable browser on all of my W7 pc's? Or just the ones I want to share content with?
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Does your PCh have NMT apps installed?

PCH A-100, A-110 & A-200

11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
The PCH has NOTHING to do with homegroups -- do not confuse regular file sharing and homegroups, and homegroups and even workgroups have NOTHING to do with network browsing..

if you want your pch to be the master browser for your network - then turn off computer browsing service on ALL your windows machines - ALL OF THEM!!

This has NOTHING to do with accessing w7 machines from other w7 machines with homegroups.

If you pch is the master browser -- and you turn on a windows machine, it may take a few minutes to be listed in the browse list.. its not going to be instant it can take a few minutes for the windows machines after the boot up to register themselves with the master browser.

That being said -- browsing is not required for file sharing either.. To use the browse network feature on your pch sure, but you can always just mount/connect to a share on a PC using its computername or IP address -- you do not have to browse to it to access its content.

I personally never browse unless testing something or taking screenshots for users having issues.. I access my shares off my windows machine directly \\computername be it from another windows machine or the pch I have my shares mounted to folder on the pch local HDD.. ie have a folder called server mounted to my servers share, and have another folder called quad-w7 that is mounted to my w7 box, etc.

As to your question about sharing with everyone or just your pch, I believe you started another thread about that - I answered your question in that thread - no you do not need to share to everyone - you can have the pch auth to the machine to gain access to whatever shares you want it to have access to.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to johnpoz for this post
11-02-2010, 10:59 PM
(11-02-2010 10:24 PM)johnpoz Wrote:  The PCH has NOTHING to do with homegroups -- do not confuse regular file sharing and homegroups, and homegroups and even workgroups have NOTHING to do with network browsing..

if you want your pch to be the master browser for your network - then turn off computer browsing service on ALL your windows machines - ALL OF THEM!!

This has NOTHING to do with accessing w7 machines from other w7 machines with homegroups.

If you pch is the master browser -- and you turn on a windows machine, it may take a few minutes to be listed in the browse list.. its not going to be instant it can take a few minutes for the windows machines after the boot up to register themselves with the master browser.

That being said -- browsing is not required for file sharing either.. To use the browse network feature on your pch sure, but you can always just mount/connect to a share on a PC using its computername or IP address -- you do not have to browse to it to access its content.

I personally never browse unless testing something or taking screenshots for users having issues.. I access my shares off my windows machine directly \\computername be it from another windows machine or the pch I have my shares mounted to folder on the pch local HDD.. ie have a folder called server mounted to my servers share, and have another folder called quad-w7 that is mounted to my w7 box, etc.

As to your question about sharing with everyone or just your pch, I believe you started another thread about that - I answered your question in that thread - no you do not need to share to everyone - you can have the pch auth to the machine to gain access to whatever shares you want it to have access to.

Great thanks I turned off computer browsing service on ALL of my W7 pc's now all is good again. I have done nothing to my 3 XP pc's they are fine.
11-03-2010, 05:32 AM
(11-02-2010 10:24 PM)johnpoz Wrote:  The PCH has NOTHING to do with homegroups -- do not confuse regular file sharing and homegroups, and homegroups and even workgroups have NOTHING to do with network browsing..

Can you tell me how to make my PCH C-200 access my shares off my windows machine directly? Is it faster to do this? I have been just using browser and going to homegroup and finding it this way.
11-03-2010, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2010 05:41 AM by Scorpys.)
johnpoz im on windows 7 and i dont turn off your service computer browsingand the pch see my computer and share folder.

Panasonic th-42px60e
HomeCinema Yamaha 4115
DUNE
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I had been struggling with this issue for a few weeks now, I went through the wiki with a fine tooth comb and try all solutions including NFS, but I still got the "no content found error". I have 2 windows 7 machines and one was the Master Browser, but both machines gave the error. I could see the default public shares and see content in them but nothing that I could see would play (no video content). In the end I was able to fix this issue by creating a user: nmt with the password: 1234 on both windows machines. I was still not able to browse and find the shares on the PCH200, but if I manually entered the information to create the share in the PCH I was then able to see the content and access the content. It now works without a hitch, however, prior to this firmware update, I did not have this problem and was able to browse the network from the PCH.

Hope this helps, and if there is a better answer, I stand corrected.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Buddy_away [Bug] Content lost on HDD Eurofooty 9 2,126 06-26-2012 06:06 AM
Last Post: BanditRider
  [Bug] NMT Community Installer 404 Not Found error stone28 1 1,962 04-21-2012 07:24 PM
Last Post: stone28
  [Bug] Wrong catalogues order BTC 0 913 07-18-2011 11:25 PM
Last Post: BTC
  Problem with timeout server please help! Arkhan 6 1,687 12-28-2010 03:12 AM
Last Post: flan
  FTP server wont start dabeeeenster 0 1,337 11-21-2010 07:50 PM
Last Post: dabeeeenster
  C-200 File Permissions on Windows File Server Sethington 5 2,623 09-04-2010 04:39 AM
Last Post: Sethington
  Wrong share contents displayed augenapfel 0 918 08-03-2010 09:23 AM
Last Post: augenapfel
  aspect ratio DVD still wrong Gravityz 6 3,211 07-14-2010 11:10 PM
Last Post: alanh
Information DHCP Server skinnyPete 1 1,451 06-09-2010 09:16 PM
Last Post: johnpoz
  wrong synchro audio / video while playing movie jluc2808 4 2,786 04-02-2010 09:38 PM
Last Post: jluc2808