Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
A-110 needs new firmware update
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
A-110 needs new firmware update
It no longer plays the current version of XVID coced. since June 2011

Is A-110 still supported by Ometron (or whatever the maker is ) ? or is there a h4xx0red gaya with current codec support ?

For past 3-4 years my PCH A-110 played 99.99% of the movie files without problems. Since June 2011 it has started to contantly growing failure rate on XVID codec files. Currently about 40% failure rate.

C'on Ometron. It's not too hard to compile the gaya with current XVID codec and put out the FW update.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2011, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-2011 01:00 PM by tyrindor.)
RE: A-110 needs new firmware update
Ometron is the maker of YAMJ. Werner is really the only "active" person on the forums that is paid by Syabas, but he still doesn't make the firmware.

I expect 100 series firmware support to be dropped soon or at least greatly slowed down due to the 300s series coming out. They only have so many resources and man hours to work on devices, and soon or later they will cut support. As much as it sucks, companies will focus on their newer devices over their older devices. You will probably see your firmware update, I just wouldn't hold my breath on it being any time soon with the 200 series needing the flash upgrade, and the 300 shipping in 5 days. This is sadly the reality of electronics, many companies would of dropped firmware support for the 100s as soon as their next model came out to increase sales to their new devices. This is a prime example of supply/demand, they will focus on the devices that are more popular, and right now those devices are in the process of getting major changes done.

This is the main reason why I always sell my devices as soon as the next model is announce, upgrading from the 200 series to the 300 series cost me $15 because I sold my old device before the price drop.
10-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I have the same problem - I've noticed something though. It seems that all the files that wont play are in 24p framerate.
If I look under the info for all the tv episodes on my PCH (both a-100 and a-110) the working ones have a 2,5 frames per second. All the non working episodes have 24 frames per second. Guess the old models can't play 24p? Can someone confirm this?

Really annoying - the 100 series is pretty much useless without a firmware update Sad
01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Any company that drops support for one of their products that is only a few years old will never get me to buy anything again from them, I just created a post earlier today because I think my A-110 is dead (no video output and doesn't respond to the remote even though it powers up) and if it is indeed dead and no way to fix it, I will not buy another popcorn hour.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Gigahertz21 for this post
01-03-2012, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 08:54 AM by chris57.)
(01-03-2012 07:44 AM)Gigahertz21 Wrote:  Any company that drops support for one of their products that is only a few years old will never get me to buy anything again from them, I just created a post earlier today because I think my A-110 is dead (no video output and doesn't respond to the remote even though it powers up) and if it is indeed dead and no way to fix it, I will not buy another popcorn hour.

I shake my head in disbelief when I read posts like this.

Please tell me of another Media Player company that has released firmware updates for 4 years. The 100 series making its debut in November 2007!!!
Are you expecting infinte updates?

You are then saying that if it breaks after 4 years then you wont buy anything from a company.

Get real.

(10-24-2011 05:33 PM)Phlamingho Wrote:  I have the same problem - I've noticed something though. It seems that all the files that wont play are in 24p framerate.
If I look under the info for all the tv episodes on my PCH (both a-100 and a-110) the working ones have a 2,5 frames per second. All the non working episodes have 24 frames per second. Guess the old models can't play 24p? Can someone confirm this?

Really annoying - the 100 series is pretty much useless without a firmware update Sad

Another useless post.

Of course the A110/100 can output at 24p and play 24fps files. I bet they aren't 24fps but are 23.976fps in any case.
I also bet that they are from one release crew that has poorly encoded their release and that if you took the time to research and educate yourself you would be able to play the AVI by simply remuxing it and rewriting the header/index.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
01-03-2012, 09:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 09:41 AM by Gigahertz21.)
(01-03-2012 08:51 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I shake my head in disbelief when I read posts like this.

Please tell me of another Media Player company that has released firmware updates for 4 years. The 100 series making its debut in November 2007!!!

You are then saying that if it breaks after 4 years then you wont buy anything from a company.

Get real.

A-110 came out in the 2nd half of 2008 I think, updates to fix major issues or add really important features should continue for at least 5 years after a product is released. I've had my A-110 for 2-3 years and it has frozen quite a bit, not to mention when the power goes out (storm) and comes back on the device automatically turns on and stays like that until you turn it off.

Lots of posts in forums about the bad support for the Popcorn Hour players, especially when new players are introduced, which at times have been just full of bugs and major features not working right. Customers are basically being asked to be beta testers.
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 11:00 PM by mrmary.)
I would like to support Gigahertz21.
I had this A110 from November 2008 and there was no newer device at that time. That was probably my worst buying decision ever. Don't want to present here whole genesis of issues that I experienced during the years I was using it.
The last drop to my cup was the latest firmware upgrade. After the upgrade it just simply dies. No video signal on any of video ports (HDMI, Component or Composit), device doesn't react on remote control.... I tried everything include recover it to factory default. No success. Lots of people have the same or similar experience after latest upgrade that was issued last summer. This upgrade caused mentioned issues for sure and Syabas stoped supporting for PCH110.
My brother bought Evolve 3 years ago. He never experienced any significant issue. It is simply reliable and costed half price of PCH 110, still working and is supported by vendor.
Base of my experience I would say "NEVER MORE POPCORN"

Chris, just shake your head so much as you can.... this product was the worst thing in my house. Finaly I will get rid of it, new player is on the way to me.
01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Software support needs to be available for more than just a few years. Especially to keep the player compatible with the current media formats. If it's the official standpoint that supporrt is dropped after 3 years I know that I will never buy a popcorn product again. I will make sure that i educate as many people as I can to this fact as well so they won't make the mistake of buying one either.

I'll agree to the posters above that I've always felt like a beta tester with the A110. It never really worked completely. And from what Chris is saying it never will either.
01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
(01-06-2012 05:06 PM)Patrickl Wrote:  I'll agree to the posters above that I've always felt like a beta tester with the A110. It never really worked completely. And from what Chris is saying it never will either.

I think your media files have a lot to do with the success. Mine work extremely well and 2 of them are used daily.
01-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Yup I can confirm.

As a product the Popcorn Hour A-110 is utter piece of junk. Both the hardware and the especially the software. And it seems the software is not even getting any better but is more or less broken about the same amount.

Just a few issues that come to mind:
- device is always on even if you power it off.
- device runs extremely hot, probably sucks a lot of energy as well
- Video playback wont work at all after cold boot ("Could not play" Smile)))) )
- Video playback begins, stops after a few seconds transfers back to the menu, audio playback resumes. After this no video will play, must do hard reset.
- Audio not working after seeking in video, sometimes resumes later sometimes not
- Video playback dies after seeking in video, must do hard reset

Complete shit. I will never buy another product from these guys. Luckily I have an AC power outlet in my amplifier that switches off when the amp is switched off, this makes hard rebooting this POS quite easy, just flick a switch on the amp remote.

I know how hard it can be to write software for an embedded device like this, but that's no excuse for this horrid behaviour. If you cannot do it properly then don't do it. Also who wants to buy a new product when the company has demonstrated complete lack of interest not to deliver anything that works properly? I hope you run out of business like you should.

And where can I download the source code? I'm sure the device runs linux/ffmpeg with modifications and other GPL'ed source.
01-19-2012, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2012 07:29 AM by southak.)
(01-03-2012 08:51 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Please tell me of another Media Player company that has released firmware updates for 4 years. The 100 series making its debut in November 2007!!!

Get real.

How is it that internet/media companies are not held to the same standards as others? Put it this way - if you bought a new car and it broke every three years or so you would be a bit pissed if Ford said "sorry mate you have to buy a new car". Same applies to any device. Why is it acceptable that technology devices have such a short life because of lack of support?

Having said that if technology moves on beyond where the hardware of the machine can go of course it is understandable that a machine becomes defunct, but software updates that go to the core function of a media player and have little impact on hardware I think we as consumers have every right to expect regular updates.

Finally let me say I have been very pleased with my NMT A-110 over the years and I have no axe to grind at all and I will most likely upgrade to C-300 at some point.
01-25-2012, 03:18 AM
I agree Popcorn is flaky and is just too buggy. My 110 has just died and while my 2x200 are still going the product support is very poor based on one of the 200s I had to return.
I wouldn't buy another one and I would advise anyone not to buy them. Of course with the roll out of DNLA devices I won't need to. Tongue
01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
The problem is that Popcorn are entirely US based, you have to order direct from the US, I guess any returns to UK based companies who you can buy from also get sent to the US. Unlike Western Digital for example whose WD TV LIVE HUB (for example) is a retail-available item and can be repaired/replaced in any number of countries where it is sold.

I guess you pay your money and take your chance.
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2012 12:06 PM by halfelite.)
(01-25-2012 03:18 AM)warlok Wrote:  I agree Popcorn is flaky and is just too buggy. My 110 has just died and while my 2x200 are still going the product support is very poor based on one of the 200s I had to return.
I wouldn't buy another one and I would advise anyone not to buy them. Of course with the roll out of DNLA devices I won't need to. Tongue

DNLA devices have been out for years it sucks, why would you praise that. external subtitles are hit or miss. no iso or folder support,

(01-27-2012 11:52 AM)southak Wrote:  The problem is that Popcorn are entirely US based, you have to order direct from the US, I guess any returns to UK based companies who you can buy from also get sent to the US. Unlike Western Digital for example whose WD TV LIVE HUB (for example) is a retail-available item and can be repaired/replaced in any number of countries where it is sold.

I guess you pay your money and take your chance.

Why are you comparing the wdtv live hub. try finding a wdtv gen 1 that came out at the same time as the a100/110 you wont find one for exchange or repair nor new firmwares for it either.
01-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I've had my A-110 from February 2009. I've never had a problem with what I have asked it to do.

I put in a hard drive that I researched extensively to determine which to buy (using this board), and have learned a whole lot about home networking -- wired and wireless (of my own choice) while using this product.

I see this device as more of a hobby type device, than a straight consumer electronic device. Maybe that is what the frustration stems from. Expectations...

However, I've never had a product like this with a board this active to help you get through it... Hold your hand help -- not do it for you....

It has been a fun ride, and hope this device lasts me until we transition to the next content delivery proposition (probably at least 2-5 more years, right?).
[+] 1 user says Thank You to johnbom for this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  UPDATE: ISO No Longer Play Sig32 1 1,339 08-18-2012 02:24 PM
Last Post: Sig32
  a101 v2 can't firmware update Pavel_ps 0 945 01-04-2012 11:50 PM
Last Post: Pavel_ps
  A110 update problem ped 1 1,386 11-20-2010 09:15 PM
Last Post: ped
  Sound issue after firmware upgrade - To high sound level GoranTornqvist 3 2,068 09-09-2010 05:38 PM
Last Post: GoranTornqvist
  Divx playback problem since update PhunkyBob 4 2,482 09-06-2010 07:01 PM
Last Post: TDJ
  ISO Playback - updated firmware now broken ttboyy98 7 3,563 08-27-2010 09:27 AM
Last Post: danar
  [A-100] VIDEO_TS issue with newest firmware 3560freak 0 1,161 05-01-2010 02:40 AM
Last Post: 3560freak
Sad movies hang after the latest firmware update pjacheng 0 901 12-23-2009 04:19 PM
Last Post: pjacheng
  Firmware for A-110? futei 1 1,087 10-28-2009 10:22 PM
Last Post: benji99
  ISOs Stuttering over SMB (latest firmware) Agent86 4 1,572 09-02-2009 03:55 AM
Last Post: Agent86