Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread:
Help in settings
01-29-2012, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 02:39 AM by fabiogesto.)
Help in settings
I I got a popcorn A300 I connect logitech z906 one optical cable
and turn on the tv hdmi cable.
which settings should I apply in audio and video?
my tv is samsung le37C650 .
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
RE: Help in settings
logitech z906 have only DD & DTS decoders

Dolby Digital, DTS - passthrough

All other - downmix

if you want to listen to the sound through the TV

HDMI sound ON

DTS also in downmix

A-300 x 2 firmware 17.07.2012 -- > YAMAHA RX-V567 -- > Pioneer PDP-LX5080
01-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks buddy I want to hear the sound from the speakers Smile
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Set Video Output to 1080p/24 and Frameratesync to 24p/NTSC/PAL.

Set HDMI Audio to ON and then see if you can also get sound via optical via your Logitech speakers. If not then chnge HDMI Audio to OFF and try again.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-04-2012, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 02:38 AM by fabiogesto.)
1080p/24hz or 1080p/50hz?

LCD le37C650 / PopcornA300 / LogitechZ906///
02-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Because SPDIF optical does not have enough bandwidth to carry a full 5.1 PCM signal the audio track will be downgraded to 2 channels only
Because SPDIF optical cannot carry a TrueHD signal. If using this connection type, the player will automatically revert to playing back the standard Dolby Digital AC-3 track instead.
Because SPDIF optical cannot carry a full DTS-HD HR or DTS-HD MA signal. When using this connection type, the player will extract the standard DTS core instead and transmit that as a bitstream.

Also there is a HDMI handshake between the Display and the C-300 that imposes the audio playback limitations of the display on the C-300, audio on the display must be disabled if possible..

for all this to work HDMI audio should be set to Off.

Dolby and DTS to passthough
Everything else downmix...

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
(02-04-2012 02:38 AM)fabiogesto Wrote:  1080p/24hz or 1080p/50hz?

This setting does two things:
1) it chooses the mode which the menus are displayed in, so the default size and frame-rate that the PCH outputs when it is not playing video
2) sets the maximum resolution the PCH will output

So, if you are on a 1080p display which can do 24p as well as 50Hz then you can choose either of these modes.

If you mostly play 24p BluRay content then you might want to choose 24p as your default so your display isn't constantly having to change mode between the menus and the movies, but if you mostly play 50Hz PAL content then the other choice might be a better default.

Thoughts on Syabas support? Share them here
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
1080p/24p is the best setting as the menu can display at 24p I am reliably told.

I used to suggest that you set according to what you play the most of however with the way things are presently set it makes no difference as the player always resyncs and therefore you always get a blackout prior to playback. The 200 series is different as there if you have it set to PAL and play PAL you wont get a resync, on the 300 you do.

Of course you must have a 24p capable TV for this.

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-04-2012, 08:17 PM
(02-04-2012 07:44 PM)chris57 Wrote:  1080p/24p is the best setting as the menu can display at 24p I am reliably told.

I used to suggest that you set according to what you play the most of however with the way things are presently set it makes no difference as the player always resyncs and therefore you always get a blackout prior to playback. The 200 series is different as there if you have it set to PAL and play PAL you wont get a resync, on the 300 you do.

I can't see why it would be 'best' per se if it causes a blackout either way, but I'm sure there must be some rationale for Syabas saying so.

In the US there is a further complication though as most displays won't sync to PAL refresh rates and can only do 24p or NTSC. When you have a display that can't handle all refresh rates this setting actually achieves a third aim - it sets the frame-rate than unsupported content will be rate-converted to.

So if you have it set to 1080p/60 any PAL content will be frame-rate converted to 60fps, whereas set to 1080p/24 the same PAL content will be converted to 24fps.

In my experience on the 200 series only, the frame-rate conversion looks better going to 60fps rather than 24fps for PAL (it doesn't help that converting to 24fps also introduces a big lip-sync error in a particular case) so this setting may also have some relevance to US users.

I would imagine it's possible that some European displays can't display NTSC (not that I've come across one in years) so the flip-side could also be theoretically relevant to European users who need to frame-rate convert NTSC content.

Also, if you have a display which doesn't support 24p but does support NTSC you may find that a setting of 1080p/60 rather than 1080p/50 actually works better for BluRay content as it can then simply use 3:2 pulldown to do the conversion, which will likely look better than converting to 50Hz.

It would really help if they could clarify what this menu item does as it has three functions that are clearly misunderstood by a large proportion of users.

02-04-2012, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 11:09 PM by chris57.)
It's already clarified here for 300 owners:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=55970
200 owners have their own suggestions in their own section.

We in the EU would never find a TV these days that cannot do both NTSC and PAL. That is why we have different suggested settings.

As always they are suggested settings and individuals may find that their TV may look better or they prefer different settings. The main point of the suggested settings is to avoid users setting incorrect settings for both Video Output, that there TV cannot display, and also to not introduce stutter/judder through incorrect use of Frameratesync.
The reason why 24p is best is for the exact same reason why it is best to play a bluray at 24p, otherwise a conversion is required. Same for the UI display and NMJ display.
So for none 24p capable sets a conversion is done, in differing ways depending on whether the set is EU or USA and the settings thereby in Video Output and Frameratesync.

02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Try reading my post again before diving in feet first.

Where in your article does it clarify how frame-rate conversion will work depending on the setting you have chosen for your Video Output mode? Short answer: it doesn't.

Unless your display handles PAL, NTSC and 24p then you are likely to be using frame-rate conversion at some point and that's why it is useful to know what the Video Output mode does and how the PCH uses it, whether on a 100, 200 or 300 series.

I'll reiterate in simple English: for modes your display can't handle this setting also chooses the frame-rate that the PCH will convert the source file to, so you should choose the setting that gives optimal frame-rate conversion. And this could actually be 60Hz even in Europe if you find that BluRay content converts better with simple 3:2 pulldown to the NTSC frame-rate than PAL on TVs that don't support 24p.

02-04-2012, 11:52 PM
I always believed you just set it to whatever 'native' maximum display capability your display has... so 1080p 50 or 60.. and if your display can do both it doesn't really matter, if the display also does 24 even better.
I only becomes interesting if your display cant handle all and you need the NMT to handle some conversion, like you need for PAL.

One day I hope the HDMI handshake will be an accepted standard and we can all forget about this.

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
(02-04-2012 11:52 PM)Willem53 Wrote:  I always believed you just set it to whatever 'native' maximum display capability your display has... so 1080p 50 or 60.. and if your display can do both it doesn't really matter, if the display also does 24 even better.

I only becomes interesting if your display cant handle all and you need the NMT to handle some conversion, like you need for PAL.

One day I hope the HDMI handshake will be an accepted standard and we can all forget about this.

I agree! The trouble is even now displays are reporting the wrong EDID codes, not reporting modes that they support, reporting preferred resolutions of 720 on 1080 panels, etc. It's a mess and until these displays are well out of circulation you can't rely on it.

The PCH actually gives you most of the options to optimally configure your display (although the 200 series is missing 720p/24), which is way better than most products. Unfortunately they are named so badly and poorly described that people aren't necessarily setting them correctly. We know this for a fact from the number of people using the AUTO setting because they expect it (quite reasonably) to AUTOmatically switch resolutions and frame rates.

I think the frame rate conversion element is the least understood and one that could possibly make a big difference to your viewing pleasure.

Actually, since you've got both 200 and 300 series, if you want to do a little test, try the following:

Set Video Mode to 1080p/50 and set framerate sync to PAL/NTSC and then play some 24p BluRay content. It should play at 50Hz. Then set the Video Mode to 1080p/60 and try the same BluRay content, which should be 60Hz. I'll be interested to know which looks better on pans, and I predict it will be 1080p/60 assuming that they're using 3:2 pulldown for NTSC output and frame duplication for PAL output.

If it's better at 60Hz then the recommendation for non-24p users even in Europe should actually be 1080p/60 even though it's counter-intuitive.

02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
My pany does NTSC, PAL, SECAM and 24p... now what would be the setting if I just want the NMT to pass whatever the content was made for and have the pany sort it out.
it's a 100Hz vertical Freq... so I though 50 would keep it in step with the refreshrate.

should I set sync or not.. that is my question.....

would it look as sweet weren't it called a ...

to sync or not to sync.....that is the question..... Wink

02-05-2012, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 12:54 AM by chris57.)
Not sure why you would say I was diving in or the need for the aggression as my sole purpose was to pass on a tip that I was given in terms of not using PAL or NTSC for the Video Output if you have 24p available. I previously had my unit set to 1080p/60 as I watch more USA TV then UK on the player.
The reason was that the UI is 1080p/24 and therefore conversion of the output in the UI/NMJ is required if you do not have 24p. So for the best UI/NMJ output set to 24p in Video Output.

So both playback AND UI browsing benefit if you have 24p.

I did not mention how the unit handles conversion as that was not my aim. My aim was to provide general suggested settings that will work and give the best for those who know little about conversions.
The article does not mention other factors such as if the user has a AVR, where it may simply be best to let the AVR do any conversion if it has better quality scaling abilities.
It's a WIKI and a forum please feel free to add or amend anything you want and provide some assistance if you feel it is required as it is all community time and effort.

It's supposed to be a pretty general guide that gives enough detail for those who realise that they may need a little help in the settings and understanding why they should be set a certain way. I was very surprised at how different the playback is on the 300 series and the required settings. That is also why the forum post suggests downloading the test files and testing individually on your TV to see which provides the least issues with judder.

My other main aim was to highlight that the word Auto in Video Output is very wrong. It suggests a automatic best selection which that is not the setting actually does. The setting cycles through to find a setting at wehich it can display on the TV and it may not always be the best as HDMI/EDID is still not 100% anywhere. It should be renamed Recover or something similar.

I find my Panasonic much better than my previous Sony for giving me the actual output it is displaying at during both booting of the unit, the UI kicking in, NMJ display, and then the actual playback. It was only through that that I found the issue with the 300 requiring all of your TV available options in Frameratesync, whereas on the 200 you only need to set a native setting and then the other options in frameratesync.

Frameratesync is still not working on WMV and MPG files if anyone is judging using those file types please dont as they do not adjust correctly. It is reported in the Bug Section and please post in that thread to raise its priority.
(02-05-2012 12:30 AM)Willem53 Wrote:  My pany does NTSC, PAL, SECAM and 24p... now what would be the setting if I just want the NMT to pass whatever the content was made for and have the pany sort it out.
it's a 100Hz vertical Freq... so I though 50 would keep it in step with the refreshrate.

should I set sync or not.. that is my question.....

would it look as sweet weren't it called a ...

to sync or not to sync.....that is the question..... Wink

As you have a AVR you should test to see which is better at converting/upscaling. However there is not a Native setting so you would have to manually set for each and every file based on its fps to output it untouched to your AVR.

Like I was saying above best to test and also use some actual bluray clips to see which you prefer your AVR or the NMT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Color Space settings recommendation stoca01 1 1,474 07-15-2012 01:39 AM
Last Post: halfelite