Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Network stopped working after firmware upgrade
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2008 10:47 PM by scuba_steve.)
RE: Network stopped working after firmware upgrade
(12-03-2008 05:43 PM)chris57 Wrote:  *snip*

As you can see from p3ter's apt summary on the previous page the solutions are varied and now M$ hotifxes are also thrown into the mix.

*snip*

While p3ter's summary was excellent, I would not necessarily infer that the range of "solutions" must imply a range of issues. There may just be quite a few ways to address a single issue...as my post above indicates.

Consider the listed "solutions"

Downgrade firmware - I haven't tried that one...but it's more of a problem avoidance strategy than a solution...and it doesn't imply what the issue is...other than the fact that it is most likely new to this version of the firmware.

Point your PCH to SMB/NFS shares that use IP address rather than hostname - Yes...I did that and it works...so the issue is that the hostname doesn't work for SMB and NFS shares...not that they are completely broken.

Disable Virtual Network Adapters - Yes, that also works for me...and it allows me to start using the hostname again...so based on what I see above, I am starting to suspect that something changed in the firmware that causes the PCH to no longer be able to access shares by hostname with such adapters enabled...even though other windows PCs can.

The other three "solutions" each have only one person who has applied it...so they may be anecdotal. Tough to tell.

Could the MS hotfix relate? Perhaps, but downgrading firmware seems to solve this one too...so I still suspect an issue with the firmware.

Fortunately, it seems like most folk have found "work-arounds"...but I wouldn't label them as solutions. A solution would allow me to keep my VM adapters enabled and my PC on DHCP. Wink
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2008, 11:41 PM
(12-10-2008 08:47 PM)Nounours54 Wrote:  Hello,

Me, the network stopped working after a Recovery.
My PCH didn't want to wake up after a POWER + DELETE, so I did a recovery.
But after this, no address MAC. (00.00.00.00.00.00)
I tried to upgrade with other firmware but nothing.

So, is there a physical problem ?

I had same issue a month ago, and I had to open support ticket and had my PCH board replaced.
12-15-2008, 01:38 AM
(12-10-2008 08:37 PM)scuba_steve Wrote:  Exclamation

VMWare issue VERIFIED.

I had to rebuild my PC yesterday. I started from scratch and rebuilt with XP Home SP3...and a range of other components, including VMWare and MS NFS.

I configured my NFS software and share for popcorn as I have done before...but this time it did not work. Weirder still, SMB did not work for the same share on the PCH...even though I could access that share from other Windows PCs.

I knew that I had the NFS setup properly since I had done it before..and because the instructions here are so excellent...so I banged my head on this issue until I found this thread.

Once I switched the popcorn to use the PC's IP address rather than the hostname, everything worked. Bizarre, because I have used the hostname in the past.

When I heard about the VMWare issue, I disabled the two VMWare network adapters (i.e., host virtual adapters) and the hostname started working again. This is bizarre because I had VMWare installed before. Perhaps the PCH had cached the IP.

Here are some high-level notes for my tests:

1) VMWare network adapters enabled

- Browsing for SMB shows my workgroup...which I can click on and see my workgroup PCs by hostname. I can open the PC with the share and see the shared directory name. I click on it, and nothing...the PCH spins for minutes and finally gives up with the "return screen".

- Browsing for NFS shows the IP address of the PC that is running my NFS server. I click on it, and nothing...the PCH spins for minutes and finally gives up with the "return screen".

- Manually adding the URI path using SMB notation with the PC's hostname gets me nothing. Once again, I click on it, and nothing...the PCH spins for minutes and finally gives up with the "return screen". The same thing happens for a manually added NFS path using hostname.

- Manually adding the URI path using SMB notation with the PC's IP address works just fine. Ditto for NFS.

2) VMWare network adapters Disabled

- Browsing for SMB shows my workgroup...which I can click on and see my workgroup PCs by hostname. I can open the PC with the share and see the shared directory name. I click on it, and bingo...it works.

- Browsing for NFS shows the IP address of the PC that is running my NFS server. I click on it, and nothing...the PCH spins for minutes and finally gives up with the "return screen". Still no joy.

- Manually adding the URI path using SMB notation with the PC's hostname works just fine. Ditto for NFS.

3) Re-enabling VMWare network adapters

Same results as in test 1.

Conclusion

I have to live with either static IP addresses or disabled VMWare network adapters. Since I need VMWare, I suppose I'll need to switch my PC to a static IP address. Sort of a pain, but manageable. That said, I would love to see a fix...if one is possible

I can comfirm I had this same issue. I have VMWare installed on my PC and after updating the firmware on my Popcorn hour SMB shares stopped working. I set the SMB shares to use the IP address of my PC and the SMB shares are now working on the Popcorn hour. Thats for figuring this out.
12-22-2008, 11:24 AM
fiddled with this all day yesterday after i upgraded the FW, trying to access SMB shares on my XP SP3 server with VMWare Sad

I'm now using the IP addr.....
12-22-2008, 11:40 PM
PCH going weird......or me???
Here is my case:

I bought a PCH 110 on 20 dec 2008 an flashed to latest firmware.
I have a domain network (domein.local). I have 1 fysical Server with 3 1Gb NIC:
1 untrusted to router (172.1.100.1),
1 for internal netwerk(192.168.100.55),
1 for the Virtual Machines (no IP).
The fysical Server is running all the shares and running VMware Server 1.07. In VMware i run a DC Controller (192.168.100.50), a ISA 2006 Server (192.168.100.60), a Mail Server (192.168.100.65) and a XP SP3 Client (192.168.100.190) for downloading and MyiHome.
In VMware i disabled and deleted the Virtual network NIC's (VMnet1 and VMnet8)
The PCH has IP 192.168.100.207 fixed or DHCP makes no difference.
There are several XP and Vista Clients wich logon to domain to use shares and Internet/mail.
On all the Clients i can get to the Video and MP3 share. They have domain admin, domain users and guest account enabled.
When i turn on PCH and browse network, i can see al the devices (Servers and clients(with shares) When i browse to the Server where the Video and MP3 are shared (domein/Video and domein/MP3) it does not see the shares.
When i manualy add the Video and MP3 share in to the PCH (smb://192.168.100.55/Video and smb://192.168.100.55/MP3) i can see the shares when i go to "Home". I See "domein" and "Video" and "MP3". When i select "domein" i see no shares and get message that no content is found. When i go to "Video" i see folders with film names and can see the content of the folder (VOB or MWV, or MPeg) When i select "MP3" i see all the album containers and also the content (MP3).
When i switch off the PCH and back on again, i can play 1 time a Video or MP3, when i go back to the same folder and press play again i get message "no content" or the PCH seems to start up the file, but comes back again to the "home" screen.

At this moment the PCH is driving me crazy because i cant get grip on it. I tried it all, resetting to factory and re-configur the PCH again, static or dhcp IP adres, host name and IP nr., Reset switch, Resetting the shares, adding guest and everyone users to it, restarting all the Servers and VM's, etc, etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion??????

Niek
Holland
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2008 12:22 PM by lassiko.)
Hi all,

As a new NMT user, my first post!

I have also problems with my shares but little bit different ones.
On NAS i have /public and /public2 (on external HDD's mountet to Debian, Samba in use)

When browsing from iStar i am able to see /public folder normally (and also my /home folder) but /public2 is not available. I am able to stream from /public2 with iStar also if i create Network Share manually.

/public and /home folders are on same HDD and /public2 is on other HDD.

/public and /public2 both are mounted with same settings

I am using latest FW with NMT apps.

Edit:
/dev/sdb2 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
/dev/sdb1 on /public type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sdc1 on /public2 type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

My mounts, only /public2 is unavailable from Istar's Network Browser

Does this make any sense??

Thanks!
12-24-2008, 10:43 PM
RE: PCH going weird......or me???
Maybe i found the sollution. Read this thread

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=5515

I have enabled guest account in local security and domain security policy. Now i am able to browse the network ;-)

looks like a security isue where windows has the guest account disabled by default, so you cant use anonymus access
12-25-2008, 01:57 PM
RE: PCH going weird......or me???
(12-24-2008 10:43 PM)McGyver64 Wrote:  Maybe i found the sollution. Read this thread

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=5515

I have enabled guest account in local security and domain security policy. Now i am able to browse the network ;-)

looks like a security isue where windows has the guest account disabled by default, so you cant use anonymus access

Hi there and thanks for your comments.

But i am afraid this will not bring a solution for me. As i explained, public folders are mounted to two usb hdd's and those are connected to NSLU2 with Depian running on it. I dont have problems to browse /public2 folder from my 2 XP pc's or from Dreambox which are all connected to my LAN.

And as i told earlier i am able to stream also from /public2 to istar but i need to add Network share manually. But it will not show up for me when i try to browse it from Network browser -> NFS Server -> [my NAS ip] ->
From here all others shared folders from NAS are available.

I also checked my smb.conf and settings between public folders are indentically. Only difference is that external HDD's are not identical ones, but i thin that should not be a problem...right..?

Any ideas, anybody?

Thanks!
12-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Does anybody know when the new firmware will be ready? We are tired of waiting till we can use our network again Sad

TV: 42PFL6057 & 1TB HDD; PCH-A400 & 1TB HDD; PCH-A100 CAT5e wired network & Netgear WNDR3700 router & sitecom LN116 Giga Switch Synology NAS DS413j & 12TB HDD
12-27-2008, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2008 04:02 AM by cadeucsb.)
Just wanted to add my name to the hat as a new user with the same problem. New xmas present and out of the box I can surf my network, see my shares and even add them. However when I try to access them, it just thinks then gives the "Request Cannot Be Processed" error.

I have xbox media center running on an xbox and an appletv...neither have issues adding the same shares, browsing the files and playing them back with no issue.

edit: mine works if i use the suggested solution of IP in the share path rather than the hostname
ie: smb://IP/folder
01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I had the same problem, this is how i fixed it:

I have a server with 1x ethernet and 1 usb-wifi-adapter.
I disabled the wifi-connection and the popcorn hour worked fine!

Maybe same thing works for someone else!
01-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Todays firmware solved the problem.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to hedstrom for this post
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upgrade From A-110. SeagullsFan 8 980 01-28-2014 03:34 PM
Last Post: chris57
  should i upgrade beeceedeecee 2 473 11-14-2013 01:36 PM
Last Post: skilled
  where is firmware roadmap? boomny 1 505 11-13-2013 05:52 PM
  upgrade time... a110 now what? bohane 13 1,269 11-06-2013 06:07 PM
Last Post: bohane
  Should I Upgrade?? rayg 26 2,809 06-08-2013 07:30 AM
Last Post: accident
  What about a board upgrade for us c200 users jonny555 1 1,209 08-09-2012 03:30 PM
  upgrade c200 to c300 xua 4 2,453 05-18-2012 05:42 PM
  Network-accessible APIs? RabidLeper 4 1,344 03-10-2012 06:21 AM
  Will A-300 upgrade from A-110 solve my problems (Playon compatibility)? Alexbo 16 4,952 01-31-2012 04:11 PM
  Upgrade or not upgrading ? Geeum 4 5,044 12-24-2011 10:48 AM