Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Is ther a need for WMV/WMAPro to MKV/AC3 conversion?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Tool for WMV/WMA Pro to MKV/AC3 conversion
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM
RE: Tool for WMV/WMA Pro to MKV/AC3 conversion
Hello Ooris,

Thank you for this very nice tool.
I am the owner of a WD TV. I have a lot off WMVHD files.
Tried to convert 3 of the WMVHD files into an MKV file. The tool is working great and it takes only a couple of minutes per WMVHD.

Unfortunately when playing the MKV file the WD TV is telling me that the video format is unsupported.

Do you have any ideas what could cause this problem?

Regards, Kobuster
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
(01-11-2009 09:57 PM)kobuster Wrote:  Unfortunately when playing the MKV file the WD TV is telling me that the video format is unsupported.

Do you have any ideas what could cause this problem?

Do they play on your PC?

You can lookup Miloman in this thread, he also has a WD. Maybe he has some tips for you.

Ooris
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ooris for this post
01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Yep, great tool! The WD has a few problems with VC-1 and some containers. You can use tsMuxeR to convert the MKV to a TS file (ooris gave this tip as I recall). This is a very straitforward and fast conversion. Unfortunately I have some audio sync problems with some TS-files, even after entering a frame rate (extracted with mediainfo). But at least the WD plays the TS files!
01-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Biggrin RE: Tool for WMV/WMA Pro to MKV/AC3 conversion
Hi Ooris,

Many thanks for the tool. I am so glad you did this as I had troubles with some HD files and you made my day. So frustrating when you spend 1 week dowlaoding a file to realise it doesn't play on the PCH.

I am getting a couple of issues though.

On 1 file [300 HD WMV] I get the following error right after the tool starts:
Exception EconvertError in module WMVconverter.exe at 00007EB2.
" is not a valid interger value.

The file however plays on the PC

On another file [Shrek HD MKV] that would not play on the PCH I made the convertion and then it worked but then I have video but no sound, what can be done?
01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
(01-18-2009 08:24 AM)Gato Wrote:  what can be done?

Hi Gato, can you PM withe the relevant info about the files?

Ooris
01-19-2009, 06:55 PM
(01-09-2009 09:51 PM)ooris Wrote:  Are you sure?

1.Remux the file to a MKV and also parallel dump the decoded PCM audio to a 6-channel WAV. You can do this with Radscorpions GraphStudio. You have to set the WMA Decoder in Hi Resolution Output. You also have to use the Infinite-Tee filter for splitting and WAV-Dest and File-writer filters for outputting to a WAV file. You have to do it parallel in one cycle to prevent audio-sync issues. If you really want to do this I can upload an example graph.

2.Use Tranzcode or TranzGUI to convert the 6-channel WAV to 6 seperate mono-WAV files.

3.Use Surcode DVD-DTS encoder to encode the seperate mono-WAV files to one DTS file.

4.Use MKVMerge GUI from MKVtoolnix to merge the MKV file (result step 1) with the DTS file (result step 3).

You now have one MKV with two audio streams; the original WMA and the new DTS stream.

If you know what you're doing you can do this within the hour (depending on the size of the file of course, small WMV-file probably half an hour). I've tested it, nice result I must say probably better sound quality then AC3 (Dolby Digital). Maybe worth doing it for a nice live concert.

I could automate this if there wasn't the 'problem' that Surcode DVD-DTS encoder will cost 250,- dollars (I think because of licensing).
Another thing is that you're probably the only person on earth who wants this ;-)

Now the idea comes up to encode the WAV file from step 1 also with Aften/AftenGUI. You then can directly compare the three audio streams by switching the stream while listening.

Ooris

Hello again

Can you please explain step 1 in more details, what software do I need, what settings? You are talking about "example graph" - I don't understand this....

Maybe I will try to convert one of my concerts to DTS ... just to see what is sound quality and than compare it against DD
Thank you.

Br
01-19-2009, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2009 11:06 PM by ooris.)
(01-19-2009 06:55 PM)gregor Wrote:  Hello again

Can you please explain step 1 in more details, what software do I need, what settings? You are talking about "example graph" - I don't understand this....

Maybe I will try to convert one of my concerts to DTS ... just to see what is sound quality and than compare it against DD
Thank you.

Br

Use Radscorpions GraphStudio, Google it. Checkout a tutorial about GraphEdit for generic instructions.
Build this graph:

[Image: graphedit.jpg]

test.mkv represents the 'Haali Matroska Muxer' filter.
WAV Dest represents the 'Microsoft Wavdest' filter.
test.wav represents the 'Microsoft filewriter' filter.

Don't forget to set the Hires option in the WMA Decoder before you link the pins.
01-22-2009, 06:18 AM
I am still having no luck with this application and a WMVPro file I have. THe process all runs fine and these are the attributes of the output file

General #0
Complete name : C:\x264\t2_part2.remuxed.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 1.96 GiB
PlayTime : 40mn 704ms
Bit rate : 7002 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-01-22 04:16:52
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:13:15
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video #0
Codec : WMV3
Codec/Family : VC-1
Codec/Info : Windows Media Video 9
Width : 1440 pixels
Height : 816 pixels
Display Aspect ratio : 2.2
Resolution : 24 bits

Audio #0
Codec : AC3
PlayTime : 40mn 704ms
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

It plays fine on a PC using VLC but on the PCH audio only. Pressing the info button shows the video as WMV which is correct. And I just downloaded the latest firmware for the PCH. Really at a loss to know what to do now

The original WMV file plays on the PCH - just no audio since it's WMAPro
01-22-2009, 08:39 AM
(01-22-2009 06:18 AM)lchiu7 Wrote:  It plays fine on a PC using VLC but on the PCH audio only. Pressing the info button shows the video as WMV which is correct. And I just downloaded the latest firmware for the PCH. Really at a loss to know what to do now

The original WMV file plays on the PCH - just no audio since it's WMAPro

Its probably this type of VC1 stream in combination with the MKV container which is not supported OK on the PCH. You can try to remux the MKV with tsMuxer (don't forget to lookup and add the original framerate), maybe the TS file will play?
01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Ooris, thanks for the tool, will be using that for my father his WD HD media player!

The thing is: his WD HD media player doesn't play WMVHD with sound, my XBOX 360 does play them properly but doesn't play MKV at all which his WD HD media player does just fine...

So I have a big, big question... Is there a possibility to do the reverse job in your app? So going from MKV to WMV (HD)? Or if not, is there a possibility you could ajust this app into the same simple tool but then for MKV to WMV? That would rock my world, to make the downloads for my 360 to MKV for my father with your current app and make the MKV to WMV I downloaded for my father to make them work in WMV on my XBOX 360!

Your app is really so simple... No way to make mistakes and works freaking fast. LOVE IT!
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
(01-28-2009 08:34 PM)mkvTOwmv Wrote:  So I have a big, big question... Is there a possibility to do the reverse job in your app? So going from MKV to WMV (HD)? Or if not, is there a possibility you could ajust this app into the same simple tool but then for MKV to WMV? That would rock my world, to make the downloads for my 360 to MKV for my father with your current app and make the MKV to WMV I downloaded for my father to make them work in WMV on my XBOX 360!

Hi, no, the most MKV's will contain H264 video streams. So you have to reencode to a WVC1 video stream. Reencoding will take a couple of hours. There are severals tools for reencoding MKV's to WMV like WME Assistant or Encode360.

Ooris
01-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I thought I had found the sollution for my audio problem when I found oosiris's tool here.....but I'm still encountering a problem I'm not able to solve.....

I installed the WMV converter v0.21 and added the additional programs, exept for the Monogram AC3 encoder; I get the following log:

20:41:44 MediaInfo DLL loaded
20:41:44 Graph Initialized
20:41:44 Filters loaded
20:41:44 Haali Matroska Muxer found.
20:41:44 MONOGRAM AC3 Encoder registration failed
20:41:44 Filter MONOGRAM AC3 Encoder not found.

20:41:44 MatrixMixer found. (C:\Program Files\MatrixMixer\matrix_mixer.ax)
20:41:44 DMO Audio set to HiRes
20:41:44 WMAudio Decoder DMO found.

Where do I get this part? I was directed to this site on another forum: http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/2008/10/21...oder-0900/

Problem is that I don't know what to do with the files found there..... There are two zip files on this page containing only files I can't seem to do anything with..... How do I install this encoder part?

I''m just an amateur in this, and I guess the sollution must be simple, but if anyone can help me with this I would very much appriciate it!
01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Did you run the installer as an administrator?
01-29-2009, 10:31 PM
(01-29-2009 09:27 PM)miloman Wrote:  Did you run the installer as an administrator?

I said it had to be simple.......but this simple...... Thanks miloman, the log says it's all ok now!
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
This is a great tool thanks for creating it. Would be nice to DTS support.

Popcorn Hour A-210 user.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Check & Repair Tool for Transport Streams of DVB/HDTV Recordings (TS-Doctor) Cypheros 447 257,091 03-26-2013 09:50 AM
Last Post: Cypheros
  Automated tool to convert DTS to AC3 (windows) *New Version and Batch Conversion* spelosi 140 288,690 01-30-2013 03:27 AM
Last Post: skoobyd
  Cool tool for renaming Tvshow files & d/l Series & Episode information excal 19 15,555 10-26-2009 06:42 PM
Last Post: ciao
  Delete bookmarks Tool RiChaDo 1 1,437 06-02-2009 07:00 PM
Last Post: chris57
  HeartWare's Audio Converter Problem - File wont play after conversion FatAlbert 0 1,874 04-23-2009 10:28 AM
Last Post: FatAlbert
  Another tool for DTS to AC3 conversion beworker 0 7,361 12-11-2008 10:32 PM
Last Post: beworker
  two copies after conversion Jober 1 1,401 05-13-2008 03:16 PM
Last Post: furii
  DVDFab Conversion for PCH 0 1,063 Today 12:59 PM
Last Post: