Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Losing signal randomly (HDMI/Samsung LCD)
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Losing signal randomly (HDMI/Samsung LCD)
Since the latest firmware update, the PCH drops out at random intervals, and I have to press TVMODE + 0 to get it back. If I set it to 720p/60hz, which is the correct setting for the TV, the menus work fine, but the TV doesn't get any signal when I start a video.
Sometimes the video comes back, other times I have to stop the video, press TVMODE + 0, and then try to find where I was in the video again. This can happen as often as several times an hour, and is driving me up the wall!

Now, to fend off some questions - yes, this is the latest firmware. No, I can't use composite or component, and yes, the HDMI-port on the TV works fine with other devices.
I am considering going back to an older firmware, but I am afraid of breaking something, so I've searched these forums extensively without finding any similar threads.
Find all posts by this user
12-07-2008, 07:36 AM
RE: Losing signal randomly (HDMI/Samsung LCD)
What's the model of the display? And if you don't do any manual intervention, does the display come back within 10-20 seconds? or at the end of the clip?
12-07-2008, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 03:18 PM by foggy.)
What Samsung model do you have?

I had similar problems on my Samsung LE40A796 TV.
I made a firmware upgrade of the TV via USB. Solved it.
EDIT: Sorry, it just solved it temporarily... problems are back now Sad

Read my thread about it:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...rksolved=1

Hope it works for you to. Smile

• PCH-A110
  • WD Green Power 750Gb internal HDD
  • Wired LAN
  • HDMI video out
  • Optical audio out
  • Samsung LED LCD LE40A796[size=xx-small]

12-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies, and sorry about the wait, we had a death in the family and I was offline for a week Sad

The number on the manual is LE32S7, and I think the exact model is LE32S71B based on the receipt. I couldn't be arsed taking the TV off the wall to check the back, though, so grain-of-salt and so forth.

The firmware upgrade seems interesting, but I can't find any mention of a USB port in the manual, so I think my TV is too cheap for that. Does anyone know of any other way to upgrade the firmware without taking it in for service?
There's some mention of a "service-port", but it looks to be circular. Maybe that's just a USB-port in disguise, but I would need an adapter to connect to it.

I reset the settings a few times on the TV, but that didn't help, or even change anything. I guess I'm using the default settings still.

In short, any further help appreciated, but it looks like the TV might be the bottleneck here. (Which sucks, since it was considerably more expensive than the PCH Wink
12-15-2008, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2008 02:21 PM by foggy.)
(12-15-2008 04:03 PM)tofagerl Wrote:  Hey, thanks for the replies, and sorry about the wait, we had a death in the family and I was offline for a week Sad

The number on the manual is LE32S7, and I think the exact model is LE32S71B based on the receipt. I couldn't be arsed taking the TV off the wall to check the back, though, so grain-of-salt and so forth.

The firmware upgrade seems interesting, but I can't find any mention of a USB port in the manual, so I think my TV is too cheap for that. Does anyone know of any other way to upgrade the firmware without taking it in for service?
There's some mention of a "service-port", but it looks to be circular. Maybe that's just a USB-port in disguise, but I would need an adapter to connect to it.

I reset the settings a few times on the TV, but that didn't help, or even change anything. I guess I'm using the default settings still.

In short, any further help appreciated, but it looks like the TV might be the bottleneck here. (Which sucks, since it was considerably more expensive than the PCH Wink

Oh I'm sorry to hear that m8 Sad.

Well I don't think it's possible to upgrade firmware on that old model, but you can always contact samsung support via telephone. Search their homepage.
But it's still not sure that it is the TV that's the problem. Try reinstalling the firmware on the PCH. Else, I have no better suggestions at this time. Maby try another HDMI cable, try unplugging all other equipment to the TV and c if it makes any difference.

Good luck.

• PCH-A110
  • Wired LAN
  • HDMI video out
  • Optical audio out

01-21-2009, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2009 04:27 AM by tofagerl.)
Well, it's been a month, and I had a chance to try the PCH on another TV. Granted, this was also a Samsung, and it was also with HDMI, but the same problems occured.
I have some other notes.
AVI-files are very rarely affected, and if they are, the aspect ratio usually changes instead of the video going black. (Yes, this is new)
MP4-files are often affected, but are also more prone to aspect ratio changes. To be clear, this is the PCH changing the aspect ratio, not the TV.
MKV files are VERY often affected, and it usually results in total loss of image, and I have to reset it.

I am getting ready to return my PCH to the vendor and get a new one. We have very strong consumer rights where I live, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: What does this mean? Could this be the solution?

Quote: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=8159 / Release Date : 07 November 2008, 19:10 +8GMT

9. Fixed HDMI display output blackout issue for auto EDID
01-21-2009, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2009 04:23 AM by halfelite.)
Return your samsung tv. its been a known problem with samsungs and hdmi handshakes.
just google samsung hdmi handshake issue
01-21-2009, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2009 03:19 PM by foggy.)
(01-21-2009 04:21 AM)halfelite Wrote:  Return your samsung tv. its been a known problem with samsungs and hdmi handshakes.
just google samsung hdmi handshake issue

That's a bit hasty to doom all samsung models at once... My Samsung has no problems what so ever. My problems disappeared after reinstalling NMT apps and deleting Llink from PCH.

EIDT: Sorry, my problems are back now Sad

• PCH-A110
  • Wired LAN
  • HDMI video out
  • Optical audio out

01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Could also be a cable problem!
How long is the cable? Gold connectors? Did you try another cable?

Greetings
Cypheros
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
It's the cable that came in the box. I don't have another one.

Good news though (I think), I removed the hard drive after reading Foggy's post, and the situation seems to have improved. I still have the same problems, but more rarely.

Oh, and it's not the TV. I know some of you people think that, but you're going to have to trust me. The issue was exactly the same on a three week old 42" full-HD tv. (On 720p)
02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
(01-21-2009 10:56 PM)tofagerl Wrote:  It's the cable that came in the box. I don't have another one.

Good news though (I think), I removed the hard drive after reading Foggy's post, and the situation seems to have improved. I still have the same problems, but more rarely.

Oh, and it's not the TV. I know some of you people think that, but you're going to have to trust me. The issue was exactly the same on a three week old 42" full-HD tv. (On 720p)

Hello i have a samsung plasma and i have the same problem

i have to reset the output using the remote, tv mode + 7

or i have to reboot the popcorn

i also have a PS3 and tha satellite decoder and both never had any hdmi

signal loss , can you confirm removing the internal HDD fixed somehow the problem ?

Because i added a hdd in it ( i still wonder why in fact )

can you remove the hdd with apps install without causing instabilities of

the PCH ?

Thank you
02-08-2009, 03:21 PM
...well... my problems are back now... Sad
...turns out it only helped temporarily to reinstall NMT apps (typical install)

...I'm trying component now. ...and might also try removing HDD later.

....atm it seems to me that there is a HDMI comunication/handshake bug in PCH...

Comments on that?

• PCH-A110
  • Wired LAN
  • HDMI video out
  • Optical audio out

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HDMI handshake worsening. What to do? rshri 33 29,276 10-15-2009 07:56 AM
Last Post: skold
  HDMI No signal problem, was working for a long time, not anymore gesmit 1 5,828 06-18-2009 04:50 PM
Last Post: chris57
  Simultaneous HDMI and Component originalsnuffy 3 2,731 06-16-2009 03:26 AM
Last Post: alanh
  [split] A100 lost HDMI output. help. contro 4 3,694 06-08-2009 08:18 AM
Last Post: chris57
  HDMI for PCH: which bandwidth is requred? imperator_mundi 3 2,746 06-08-2009 03:57 AM
Last Post: Sharon
  PCH-A100 Not booting after changing to HDMI redwolfb14 0 1,593 05-27-2009 11:34 PM
Last Post: redwolfb14
  Problem getting signal out of HDMI dessybe 3 2,779 05-25-2009 06:52 PM
Last Post: dessybe
  hdmi and composite or s-video out at same time? johnpoz 6 4,522 05-12-2009 01:51 PM
Last Post: carlwain1974
  Using my PCH with a HDMI switch box problem. djmat 14 5,988 04-17-2009 04:20 PM
Last Post: zigzag
  Working A-100 now only snow @ HDMI Quantor 4 2,412 04-15-2009 03:05 PM
Last Post: dc11ab