Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
HDX 1000 Vs vs Popcorn Hour
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
HDX 1000 Vs vs Popcorn Hour
I’d like my popcorn hour, but it seems as if popcorn hour doesn’t want to listen to enhancement requests.
I made one request on HDX and they listened. They stated they’ll do this in the next release…
I know there is a request section, but I don’t see anything hardly being responded to or if this is something being worked on.

Why can’t popcorn hour listen to there customers on requests?

Things which we need:
- Better GUI (Yes user generated apps are nice, but why can’t one be supplied to you when purchasing the unit)?
- More memory.
- Useful card reader.
- Built in software that will automatically generate onto there popcorn hour.
- Telnet enabled by default
- Easy to use when selecting movies. (ie. number listing selection option)
- API – behind the seen tracking options to select movies.

Are theses things to much to ask or should I switch now? I might sound ignorant, but I have owned my PCH for awhile and haven’t seen much being done on the enhancement side.
Find all posts by this user
12-22-2008, 07:04 PM
RE: HDX 1000 Vs vs Popcorn Hour
I would disagree that Popcorn Hour doesn't listen to it's customers.

The A-110 and B-110 was designed with a lot of customer requests in mind, e.g. feedback from this forum.
I'm quite convinced that future models will also include the customer's voice when designed.

But we all have our wish lists and different agendas, it's hard to please everybody at the same time.

It would be great if you could elaborate what you mean a little bit more.

- Better GUI (Yes user generated apps are nice, but why can’t one be supplied to you when purchasing the unit)?
What do you mean by a better GUI? Faster? Looks nicer?
I use skins and third party streamers to make my A-100 look a little more to my taste.

- More memory.
Do you mean that a new model should have more memory? How much is that, and what would make that certain amount of memory enough?
Remember, this is an embedded device which is not designed to switch memory parts like an ordinary PC. Having slots for memory replacement also make the chipset more expensive and complex to manufacture. The form factor would be affected as would power consumption and other aspects. I don't think it would be trivial to implement this, but I'm not a chipset engineer so I'll gladly let someone with more insight comment.

- Useful card reader.
What kind of card reader? CARDEA style for DVB-recievers? Or some kind of card reader for digital photos and media (which is the flavor of the month right now, by the way?)
Personally, I prefer my Satbox to handle sat cards.

Do you mean some kind of package management system like ipkg, deb style or something else?

Telnet is an insecure protocol. I wouldn't want that enabled by default.

There is already numbers infront of each file. Have you tried to press a high number in a directory where you have a large amount of files? Or do you mean pagination?

Please elaborate. I don't get what you mean by this.

As it seems, your preferences could fit an Apple Mac Mini, for instance.

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
(12-22-2008 07:04 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  - Better GUI (Yes user generated apps are nice, but why can’t one be supplied to you when purchasing the unit)?
I use skins and third party streamers to make my A-100 look a little more to my taste.

I agree a better GUI is in need. This is the media player, right now at least. Some people who buy it are going to want a nice GUI out of the box rather than searching the forums for help on using skins and third party solutions. I haven't had the chance to compare to the competition much besides Western Digital's WD HD Media Player and its GUI is superior to the PCH (the WD Player cost $99 and is restricted to USB playback). It's much faster and sleeker. While scrolling through page after page in the library looking at movies there's no hesitation or a circle "thinking" icon in the top left after you change each page. You can also hold the "down" button and it swiftly scrolls down to the bottom of the page without waiting. Basic things like this are disappointing.

If it wasn't for a simple power switch on the PCH, I'd have gone with the WD player since I simply use a USB 4TB enclosure I sit next to the PCH. The WD player uses the same chipset so I'm unsure why the out of the box GUI on the PCH seems so outdated and unattended to. The WD player also has 16x fast forwarding out of the box (maybe 32x I can't remember). I'm sure future firmwares will address this, but it's just crazy that it hasn't been fixed yet. I'm not sure what is higher priority than fixing a slow GUI.
12-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Its fast enough, look at the graphics on the box it looks like a windows 95 Operating System. Have you guys considered doing anything with flash?

- More memory.
Do you mean that a new model should have more memory? How much is that, and what would make that certain amount of memory enough?
Remember, this is an embedded device which is not designed to switch memory parts like an ordinary PC. Having slots for memory replacement also make the chipset more expensive and complex to manufacture. The form factor would be affected as would power consumption and other aspects. I don't think it would be trivial to implement this, but I'm not a chipset engineer so I'll gladly let someone with more insight comment.

More memory, there is times I am playing a movie and it completely locks up out of no where. I have used multiple video servers and this one tends to lock up a lot. I am considering this would be due to the lack of memory it uses? Correct me if I am wrong…

- Useful card reader.
What kind of card reader? CARDEA style for DVB-recievers? Or some kind of card reader for digital photos and media (which is the flavor of the month right now, by the way?)
Personally, I prefer my Satbox to handle sat cards.

Card Readers are always nice, especially for photo screensavers. I agree sat boxes or other devices are nice in this case. But technology is coming down to who is going to supply the one box which has everything? Wouldn’t it be nice to view current videos or photos on a card reader?

Do you mean some kind of package management system like ipkg, deb style or something else?
Some kind of tagging tool which you can connect to your PCH from your computer, scan your movies, tag them, generate a direct path to view them, number them, whatever you need to do to make it easy. Right now you’re making a mount and connecting to that path, additional software is going to be required if you want to make this more user friendly.

Telnet is an insecure protocol. I wouldn't want that enabled by default.
yes its insecure if you don’t place a password on the devices, and the capabilties to change the login and password. Maybe from the same software mentioned above?

There is already numbers infront of each file. Have you tried to press a high number in a directory where you have a large amount of files? Or do you mean pagination?
More based on the page, when you go into your share folder and hit 222 (movie) it brings you to option 2. It would be nice to have the option from when the movie was added, rather then numbering. The problem I see is if you added the option to select a movie by its number, every new movie you add regenerates your listing.

Please elaborate. I don't get what you mean by this.

It would be nice to have a built in behind the seen option for home automation systems or RTI systems to do behind the scene actions. I select this movie and its found in the following path, then it tells the PCH to automatically change without having to manually select it.
12-22-2008, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2008 10:22 PM by dc11ab.)
(this is a response to senorfrog97's post above)

Video and audio playback performance and stability?

I use the GUI for about 30-60 seconds to navigate to the movie/media I want to play. Then I spend some 2 hours to watch the movie. But I see your point, in particular for photo and music handling, and share your interest for a faster GUI. Fortunately, new Sigma libraries are to be incorporated, as is a database that will hopefully change things for the better.

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
12-22-2008, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2008 11:07 PM by spawn.)
Quote:I’d like my popcorn hour, but it seems as if popcorn hour doesn’t want to listen to enhancement requests.
I made one request on HDX and they listened. They stated they’ll do this in the next release…
Are theses things to much to ask or should I switch now? I might sound ignorant, but I have owned my PCH for awhile and haven’t seen much being done on the enhancement side.

No offence but that is slightly funny reading

Since they are both NMT sollutions and thus both use the exact same firmware developed by Syabas, and not by PCH nor by HDX - its really nonsense to talk about the HDX implementing features/enhancements in the firmware before PCH or switching from PCH to HDX to get quicker enhancements. They only differ slightly in terms of hardware choises and box design. But under the hood, they are all the same and offer the same interface and features through the same Syabas developed firmware. When HDX state they will do something in next release, they are actually just stating that they expect Syabas to do that, and when done it will be released in a firmware all use, but usually the PCH use first.

Living room: C200/A200/A100 HDMI to Pioneer KURO KRP-500A plasma / Denon AVR 3808 / KEF 5005.2 / B&W DM685
Kids room: C200/A110 HDMI to Panasonic 42PZ85, Optical to Logitech Z5500.

PLEASE READ THE WIKI
12-22-2008, 11:16 PM
(12-22-2008 10:13 PM)obuddy2002 Wrote:  Its fast enough, look at the graphics on the box it looks like a windows 95 Operating System. Have you guys considered doing anything with flash?
Flash can be quite cpu expensive. Great for PC's, not yet so great for embedded devices. Interesting discussion about Flash performance: http://www.kaourantin.net/2008/09/on-performance.html

Quote:More memory, there is times I am playing a movie and it completely locks up out of no where. I have used multiple video servers and this one tends to lock up a lot. I am considering this would be due to the lack of memory it uses? Correct me if I am wrong…
I think you are somewhat right; the buffer is rather limited. But that said; lock-up's could also be due to a networking bottleneck. Choking 1080p media across a WiFi or powerline connections will not work well with current standard products. And the hardcoded codec support is somewhat sensitive to poorly encoded media (eg too many ref frames on High profiles etc.).

Quote:Wouldn’t it be nice to view current videos or photos on a card reader?
Yes, but is it really a unique selling feature? You can look at photos from a USB stick/drive, but I'm unsure if a USB card reader can be attached. (Probably not, but perhaps a search on this forum might reveal if someone else has tried.)

Quote:Some kind of tagging tool which you can connect to your PCH from your computer, scan your movies, tag them, generate a direct path to view them, number them, whatever you need to do to make it easy. Right now you’re making a mount and connecting to that path, additional software is going to be required if you want to make this more user friendly.
Yes, and additional software already exists that does this, quite conveniently too. Have you taken a closer look upon YAMJ (Yet Another Jukebox) and the other Jukeboxes? (YAMJ is now also a plugin to the official myiHome streamer). Then you have powerful third party servers like llink (witch scrapers such as imdbit, PiXL, MyMovies.dk etc.), GBPVR, Swisscenter etc. Also, watch out for TViXie, the equivalent third party software for the DViCO TViX's that is supposed to support NMT units too quite soon. Very simple and effective.

Quote:yes its insecure if you don’t place a password on the devices, and the capabilties to change the login and password. Maybe from the same software mentioned above?
IMHO, telnet is quite easy to install as is. Sorry if I sound elitist, but if one can't handle that, they probably shouldn't play with telnet anyway.

Quote:More based on the page, when you go into your share folder and hit 222 (movie) it brings you to option 2. It would be nice to have the option from when the movie was added, rather then numbering. The problem I see is if you added the option to select a movie by its number, every new movie you add regenerates your listing.
The new database that will be incorporated will probably be for some good in this case. Right now I use llink which can sort in various ways, among them A-z, per date etc.

Quote:It would be nice to have a built in behind the seen option for home automation systems or RTI systems to do behind the scene actions. I select this movie and its found in the following path, then it tells the PCH to automatically change without having to manually select it.
I'm not really there yet; you mean some kind of remote control via, say, an iPhone? When you mentioned Home Automation I thought of dimming lights, diverting phone calls etc. (Ex: Crestron.com and by RTI I assume you mean RTIcorp.com products.)
As for remote operation; Cidero and Plugplay provides basic/rudimentary UPnP control operation. But that area could indeed be improved. A lot.

Sorry to nag, but this last part intrigued me. Perhaps if you could describe some scenario or example in more detail?

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
05-04-2009, 04:32 PM
(12-22-2008 11:16 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  I'm not really there yet; you mean some kind of remote control via, say, an iPhone? When you mentioned Home Automation I thought of dimming lights, diverting phone calls etc. (Ex: Crestron.com and by RTI I assume you mean RTIcorp.com products.)
As for remote operation; Cidero and Plugplay provides basic/rudimentary UPnP control operation. But that area could indeed be improved. A lot.

Sorry to nag, but this last part intrigued me. Perhaps if you could describe some scenario or example in more detail?

Hi that sounds really good if we could have some built-in API that we can call using the NMT ip address.

Something like : http://nmtipaddress/remotecontrol/arrowup.whatever will simulate the arrow up from the remote control

http://nmtipaddress/remotecontrol/play.whatever will simulate the play button from the remote control

And so on and so forth.

Or something like the built-in XBMC commands http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=The_Web_Interface

The idea here is to be able to develop and app for the iphone/ipod touch that enable them to remote control the NMT using the Wifi.

Regards

David
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi David

Since I wrote my response some solutions have come in place, for instance Niels Leenheer's very iPhone-friendly php-hack, working as a little bit more than a rudimentary controller:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...+AND+Niels

Hope this is something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
05-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Here's the original request:
(12-22-2008 10:13 PM)obuddy2002 Wrote:  It would be nice to have a built in behind the seen option for home automation systems or RTI systems to do behind the scene actions. I select this movie and its found in the following path, then it tells the PCH to automatically change without having to manually select it.

Based on what he said, I think that he is looking to be able to address movies individually. That way, instead of using an onscreen GUI, you could have the movie images on a touchscreen remote and choose them from there with a single discrete command. Many people do this with DVD jukeboxes.

CJ
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Popcorn without BD Player's walkerx 3 864 03-14-2014 07:26 AM
Last Post: Willem53
  what type of popcorn hour should i get ninfreak 5 1,821 02-27-2014 05:04 AM
Last Post: szkzsolt
  Automated music download on popcorn c-300 n1ckv 1 1,019 01-03-2014 11:16 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Popcorn Hour Alternatives? scotty1234 17 5,311 12-31-2013 12:36 PM
Last Post: Sledgehamma
  Popcorn a-110 app downloader pikohn 0 1,409 12-30-2013 09:39 PM
Last Post: pikohn
  Xbmc in popcorn hour roddy 70 61,125 08-06-2013 07:02 PM
Last Post: Milhouse
  New Popcorn Hour Options & Hardware diamond design 4 3,634 04-07-2013 01:26 PM
Last Post: Presjar
  [split] Popcorn Hour User Manuals [16 Nov 2012] Off-topic kobe1882 9 3,441 04-07-2013 01:23 PM
Last Post: Presjar
  Eye Candy for Your Popcorn WhiteVanMan 0 1,327 12-20-2012 09:58 PM
Last Post: WhiteVanMan
  best andriod apps to use with popcorn hour jonny555 7 3,675 11-12-2012 10:04 PM
Last Post: buzzbuzz