Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
HDHomeRun tuner / libhdhomerun
01-31-2008, 10:55 PM
HDHomeRun tuner / libhdhomerun
Syabas... if you're listening... :-) I saw your post on the HDHomeRun forums about porting libhdhomerun to the NMT platform. I'm not sure if you'll get any official support from SiliconDust, but I'm definately interested in doing it. I already have both units, so I had planned on doing that anyway once the NMT was officially opened up for user applications. I guess I could start now and see if I could at least get it to cross-compile using the toolchain.
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2008, 12:05 PM

ajr,

Unfortunately haven't got any response from them.

Glad that you can pick up this development, libhdhomerun looks small and
quite manageable.

You should be able to get it working with the toolchain and the telnet access that other users already done.

Let us know if you when you need more info (send to support@syabas.com)

Good luck!

Sales: sales@syabas.com
Tech support: support@syabas.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Gonna do the same sort of thing as the myth front end won't it?
02-01-2008, 03:39 PM

daniel_owen_uk Wrote:Gonna do the same sort of thing as the myth front end won't it?
No. I want to be able to access the HDHomeRun directly without needing to have anything between it and the NMT. A Myth front end would still require a Myth back end running somewhere else.
02-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Ahh sorry I was assuming HDHomeRun was a software application rather than a hardware box. See why you are after this now.
02-10-2008, 05:33 AM

For anybody that may be interested, I have been able to successfully compile libhdhomerun / hdhomerun_config and run it on the NMT. I could start the HDHomeRun streaming the data to the NMT, and save the data on the NMT's internal hard drive. I could then select that file (while it was still being recorded) with the NMT's browser. So, it looks like the NMT / HDHomeRun combination has some potential :-) At least this shows that it's possible to get this combination working together.
02-10-2008, 04:58 PM

ajr Wrote:For anybody that may be interested,

Oh, Believe you me... there are interested people Smile

Marcus
-we are popcorn people
02-10-2008, 06:50 PM

marcus Wrote:

+1 =)
02-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Now we need to get information from Syabas on the proposed method to stream our a/v streams to the hardware. Working with mono just hasn't been successful with the mpeg-ts audio feeds I've been able to send it and buffer to to a file is not a good solution because the buffer needed needed is large. For audio streaming there is way too much dead air. I really hope they provide more information from reading from a named pipe, which would be ideal for this, when the return after the New Year.

I'm also quite happy to locking into doing the mux and demux myself if they provide information on how to to output to the raw device if this is beyone mono's capability. I am leaving amp_test functionality as it, it is pretty much a self contained player.

Martin
02-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Kalle Andersson Wrote:
marcus Wrote:

+1 =)
I'm glad to see there is some interest in this :-) To start, I'll probably just write some simple PHP scripts to allow selecting the channel and starting/stopping recording. Something more complicated and useful could be created once we have more details about the NMT's API, as Martin pointed out.
02-13-2008, 05:12 AM

Hi guys, discussion on how NMT can support easier integration and running of user's generated apps

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?p=14316

Please give your inputs.

Using named pipes method is currently not possible, as the playback apps
are written more for file based, or HTTP based (still through a file abstraction
layer) handling.

Sales: sales@syabas.com
Tech support: support@syabas.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2008, 06:34 PM

One interesting discovery I found while working on this... the NMT has trouble receiving a UDP stream and writing to the disk at the same time. When I was just receiving the UDP packets and placing them in an in-memory buffer, everything was fine. However, when I started writing data to the hard drive, the process that was reading the packets started missing packets (as determined by the sequence number). I tried increasing the receive buffer, but that didn't seem to help. The solution that seems to work is to increase the priority of the process that is reading the UDP packets. Since I've done that, I don't see any more missed packets, even when writing to the hard drive. The drawback is that the process must run as root in order to increase its priority. (Processes run from myiHome Lite on the NMT are run as nobody, so I have to make the HDHomeRun executable suid root. I also tried running the process using a CGI script under sybhttpd instead, since that runs as root, but I was unable to run a background process. Whenever the CGI script started the background process, sybhttpd would crash after a few seconds).

In any case, I hope to release a VERY simple set of scripts soon that allow starting and stopping of recording from the HDHomeRun to the NMT's internal hard drive. I actually have it working already, but need to make some improvements and clean up the scripts before publicly releasing them. You can watch the file while it is being recorded; however, pause is still an issue. If you pause the playback at a point before the original size of the file, resuming of the playback works fine. If you pause at a point beyond the original size of the file, the NMT resumes playback at the beginning of the file instead. Maybe Syabas could add a check to see if the file size has increased when resuming playback. I'd like to add more features in the future (such as timed and scheduled recording), but at least this is a start.
02-27-2008, 10:13 PM

ajr Wrote:In any case, I hope to release a VERY simple set of scripts soon that allow starting and stopping of recording from the HDHomeRun to the NMT's internal hard drive.

Really nice job ajr... really!

I only want to receive tv in order to record movies and increase my films bank (I don't give a damn about the rest). And you said that you can partially record from the HDhomerun! Wow... impressive!

Greeting and good continuation! I support you in your work :idea:

By the way, how is your experience so far with the HDHomerun?
02-27-2008, 11:30 PM

Me any my two HDHomeruns anxiously await your final version!

I prefer to leave the recording to another computer, though. BeyondTV currently does a fine job with recording OTA. I'd like to have the option of switching the PH recording off.

David
02-28-2008, 02:16 AM

...a few questions as the HDHomerun site seems to be lacking details.

Is the idea that HDHomerun will stream live TV to the PCH?

Will HDHomerun stream to the PCH now as is and the development that AJR is talking about simply for turning the PCH into the DVR by forcing it to record programs on a guide?

Did Dave imply that simply using BeyondTV to do the scheduling and recording to a local drive, we could map this drive to PCH and play files as soon as they have been recorded?
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Zamouche's Tuner streaming-radio application MV10 2 2,227 10-19-2010 08:48 AM
Last Post: chris57