Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
How To: NFS using Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX
06-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Re: no NFS sharing tab
pastimer Wrote:Hi,

I could follow the instruction at the beginning of this thread.

Until i come to:

Enable NFS sharing:
- open a Windows Explorer and browse to the folder to share
- right click on the folder and select "Properties"
- there will be a new "NFS Sharing" tab, select the tab

I dont have this.

In windows for unix services NFS is defined. I have group amd user entries (guest - root).

What could be wrong? I dont think NFS is running. I dont see it in services. I have no firewall active.

Regards, Eppo

It sounds like you don't have NFS server (Server for NFS, is how it shows in Services) running in services. If you go into Services and attempt to start it and get something like Error 1080 and it doesn't start, you may have another similar NFS server app, such as HaneWin installed aside it. Uninstall this. Then you'll need to start NFS Server as well as the User Name Mapping server. Both of these will be unstartable, due to the conflict of portmapper dependencies with the other NFS server app. Once the other app is removed, they should start ok. Once you get the Server for NFS started, you should be able to see the NFS Sharing tab in Properties. If that doesn't fix it, then insert shoulder shrug here.
Find all posts by this user
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM

It's also possible that you installed the NFS Client but not the NFS Server components in the installer. I made this mistake the first time I ran the installation - you need to manually expand the "NFS" item and make sure everything within it is selected to be installed.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to TheMayor for this post
06-13-2008, 03:42 PM

TheMayor Wrote:It's also possible that you installed the NFS Client but not the NFS Server components in the installer. I made this mistake the first time I ran the installation - you need to manually expand the "NFS" item and make sure everything within it is selected to be installed.

Good call. If you don't have "Server for NFS" in your Services list, that is most likely the case.
06-16-2008, 02:17 PM

I've some small problem with hanewin : it doesn't recognize folders or files with accentuated letters, like é or à ...
Is someone can test on his hanewin to check if it is the same or if it'a a problem with Vista or my pc.
In smb the files are correctly seen, but in NFS my PCH doesn't see these files or folders.

Thanks in advance !!

Sony 40W4000@2.5m,Harmony One
PCH-A100 with 40gb/Last firmware/Power DVD Skin+BR Player Panasonic+Sat by OrangeSAT - Connected to Sony DAV-S550 by optical switch
Gigabyte LAN with Athlon X2-4200 s939/4Gb under Seven Pro 64Bits with 4*1To+2*1.5To+500Go+ 1+2*320Go(raid1) HDs
Nintendo Wii
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM

My WinXP PC had previous installation of SFU, but was uninstalled. Some files are left over in /SFU.

When I reinstall SFU, it won't install into /SFU directory, because Windows could not delete files in /SFU. It asks for installing into different directory.

After changing to /MWSF directory, SFU still failed to install.

How do I clean up /SFU directory? I could not delete it.
07-01-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:I installed Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX exactly as indicated in the first post (I'm using XP Pro). I also created the NFS shared folder with no problem. And I added the path to my "Network Share" on PCH (nfs://192.168.1.x:/Share)

In the main menu, I can select the Network Share and it brings me to the page with the 4 icons (Video, Audio, Photo, and whatever the last one is..).

However, when I click on either one of them, I get this message : "Request cannot be processed. Press return key to return to your previous screen."

I have the same problem.
Any solution?
07-05-2008, 10:09 PM

Great post. Worked perfect on my Win XP.
Thanx! Big Grin
07-06-2008, 05:56 PM

hi just tried this...when i click on 'show user maps' i get the following error...'Unable to access username mapping server. No maps could be obtained'...what do i do?

btw - i am trying this on xp home

thanks!

Update - everythings working now! cheers
07-07-2008, 01:00 PM

10dulkar Wrote:hi just tried this...when i click on 'show user maps' i get the following error...'Unable to access username mapping server. No maps could be obtained'...what do i do?

thanks!

How did you fix this problem? I am getting the same error on XP Pro with service pack 3. I had it working on XP with SP2 but after reinstalling XP and applying SP3 I get the above stated error. Does SP3 have anything to do with it?

Thanks
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM

Here is a question. Not sure if many people here use an actual fbsd or linux box but I do for my fileserver. NFS works great for speed but ph doesn't allow you to add a new user and set a uid/gid which is how nfs reads the server's perms. It almost seems like it is trying to connect to my fileserver as root which just does not seem to be the secure thing to do.

Is there a way to add a user on the ph and set a uid and is it also possible to add a group to it and set a gid? Using nfs as root is just not cool. If this feature is not in the current firmware can someone PLEASE add it? I think I will set up telnetd on it later and see if it could be possible.

Or... does ph use a different kind of username that it uses for nfs? In your article you only have root in your passwd and group files. If this is the case then nfs on the ph is not practical. Sure you can do this if your lan is extremely secure but that is still a security risk nonetheless.

Thank for any help you can give me.
07-07-2008, 06:07 PM

kommong Wrote:
10dulkar Wrote:hi just tried this...when i click on 'show user maps' i get the following error...'Unable to access username mapping server. No maps could be obtained'...what do i do?

thanks!

How did you fix this problem? I am getting the same error on XP Pro with service pack 3. I had it working on XP with SP2 but after reinstalling XP and applying SP3 I get the above stated error. Does SP3 have anything to do with it?

Thanks

actually - i didnt do anything...just restarted the computer and it all worked. strange!
07-08-2008, 01:44 AM

10dulkar Wrote:[quote="kommong"][quote="10dulkar"]actually - i didnt do anything...just restarted the computer and it all worked. strange!

It didn't work for me on windows XP even after reboot. I get the same error message 'Unable to access username mapping server. No maps could be obtained'

Any solution, anybody ?
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM

btw - is there any other solution? i know that the hanewin nfs server works well but its not free...

is there anything else out there?
07-11-2008, 04:34 PM

I see following error in system log.
"The Portmap service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. "
Could this be sp3 or .net problem.

kommong Wrote:
10dulkar Wrote:[quote="kommong"][quote="10dulkar"]actually - i didnt do anything...just restarted the computer and it all worked. strange!

It didn't work for me on windows XP even after reboot. I get the same error message 'Unable to access username mapping server. No maps could be obtained'

Any solution, anybody ?
07-11-2008, 06:11 PM

Never mind. Somehow I had the haneWin NFS server installed. It is okay once I uninstalled haneWin.

kommong Wrote:I see following error in system log.
"The Portmap service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. "
Could this be sp3 or .net problem.
quote]
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Windows 7 fixes for SMB network problems Casuall 67 57,855 11-13-2013 09:59 PM
Last Post: Garcks
Lightbulb Windows 8 or 8.1, SMB shares and junctions Zyphrax 3 5,942 11-06-2013 03:17 PM
Last Post: sanctrum
  How to have "Search in IMDB" in your right click context menu in Windows CyberClaw 8 11,357 06-26-2013 05:03 PM
Last Post: dux2
  HOWTO: Windows 7 ext2/3 support - update? Minok 6 12,162 12-25-2011 09:37 PM
Last Post: newmediawhisperer
  HOWTO: Mount NMT share on Windows Mobile mkkm 0 3,323 12-25-2010 02:53 PM
Last Post: mkkm
  How To: NFS Services for UNIX on WHS Vail wingfat 3 6,055 05-27-2010 07:15 AM
Last Post: Kosmodan
  HOWTO: Windows 7 ext2/3 support [USB-Slave] DeliriumNL 35 209,507 02-21-2010 12:57 AM
Last Post: maxyvan98
  [Video Tutorial] How to map network drive in Windows Vista AlexNC 30 37,999 02-06-2010 06:41 AM
Last Post: jamesroy
  Setup Windows 2008 NFS for Streaming with A-100 - Guide nkarnold 16 32,908 12-21-2009 09:02 AM
Last Post: chris57
  controlling popcorn from windows Frater 15 31,231 01-05-2009 09:43 PM
Last Post: wsoderberg