Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Unable to access Network shares from PCH
01-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Unable to access Network shares from PCH
Hi,

I have a A110 with the latest firmware and can access the web services clips (you tube etc) but when i try and connect to one of the shares off my XP machine im unable too.

I have shared out a few folders but when i select them on the PCH it just keeps loading with that circle in top left hand corner.

I then got the other laptop and was able to connect to the XP shares but had to set the username to Administrator (password was blank) and was then able to access the shares. I then changed the shares on the PCH to have it use the account Administrator but it just sits there waiting still.

I can access - Network - MSHOME - MYCOMPUTER - Photos
When i slect photos this is where it hungs and nothing loads.

Hope that makes since.

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
RE: Unable to access Network shares from PCH
Well, I guess we're all waiting for a new firmware release, since a lot (!) of people have problems accessing shares from the A110.

I am using the A110 with a Qnap TS-409 Pro (NAS) and it's just not working.
I see the logins in the qnap admin, but the PCH connection attempts timeout.
IP address is used for the SMB share och the shares are working perfectly from other computers and devices using SMB and the same network.

NFS is not working either. I downgraded the firmware, and then managed to browse the files, but nothing could be started.

/Man
01-11-2009, 09:46 PM
When is the new firmware getting released then? THis is really poor from PCH!!!

So the only way to watch movies etc on the A110 is to play them off the inbuilt hard drive?
01-14-2009, 10:24 PM
The problem is I do not believe anyone who is a senior person either on this forum, or at NMT acknowledges these problems, and part of the reason is because folks (including me) haven't provided enough detail and follow-through. Networking can be complex with a lot of variables, and us saying "it doesn't work" is fine, but doesn't lay out a reproducable situation that can be easily tested (and then fixed). I know I've tried to bring up SMB share issues in a few threads and someone always replies back "works for me." So if you're one of the guys that works on this stuff, you see one report that it doesn't work, one report that it does, and decide it must be the guy's computer or network setup causing him problems. Also, a few different issues concerning network problems have been lumped together, which can cause a fix of one situation to seemingly address another situation (when it really doesn't).

I'm hoping to do a detailed bug report soon on MY particular situation, which is that the PCH A-100 with no HDD installed using 10/23/08 firmware as well as the August firmware, will not browse shares on my Windows XP Home SP3 computer. There's a template iin the bug reporting forum with all the information necessary to officially report a bug. So far, I don't see anyone filling one out, so while I'm disappointed I had to downgrade my firmware to failsafe (June '08) firmware in order to browse my network, I'm not really going to complain about it anymore until I've submitted a bug report and given them time to reproduce it. I have to do this at a time when I don't plan to watch movies as I won't be able to access my movies for awhile once I upgrade the firmware again, and I'm sure there will be some follow-up "try this" / "try that" questions before the bug is truly accepted as a bug.
01-16-2009, 07:58 PM
(01-14-2009 10:24 PM)pchuser Wrote:  The problem is I do not believe anyone who is a senior person either on this forum, or at NMT acknowledges these problems, and part of the reason is because folks (including me) haven't provided enough detail and follow-through. Networking can be complex with a lot of variables, and us saying "it doesn't work" is fine, but doesn't lay out a reproducable situation that can be easily tested (and then fixed). I know I've tried to bring up SMB share issues in a few threads and someone always replies back "works for me." So if you're one of the guys that works on this stuff, you see one report that it doesn't work, one report that it does, and decide it must be the guy's computer or network setup causing him problems. Also, a few different issues concerning network problems have been lumped together, which can cause a fix of one situation to seemingly address another situation (when it really doesn't).

I'm hoping to do a detailed bug report soon on MY particular situation, which is that the PCH A-100 with no HDD installed using 10/23/08 firmware as well as the August firmware, will not browse shares on my Windows XP Home SP3 computer. There's a template iin the bug reporting forum with all the information necessary to officially report a bug. So far, I don't see anyone filling one out, so while I'm disappointed I had to downgrade my firmware to failsafe (June '08) firmware in order to browse my network, I'm not really going to complain about it anymore until I've submitted a bug report and given them time to reproduce it. I have to do this at a time when I don't plan to watch movies as I won't be able to access my movies for awhile once I upgrade the firmware again, and I'm sure there will be some follow-up "try this" / "try that" questions before the bug is truly accepted as a bug.

I can confirm that the latest firmware isn't able to browse shares on a Windows XP SP2 computer but is able to browse shares on a Windows 2003 Server one. Probably going to return the PCH since this is paramount to what I was going to use PCH for.
01-16-2009, 09:05 PM
The error with sp2 and sp3 is an update by MS that changed how a samba share handshake works. I havent looked much into this but you can either uninstall the update or downgrade the firmware for now. Not much Syabas can do about someone else changing how there product works. Now im not sure what is wrong with the qnap as it shouldnt be effected by that.
01-18-2009, 05:54 AM
(01-16-2009 07:58 PM)smartins Wrote:  I can confirm that the latest firmware isn't able to browse shares on a Windows XP SP2 computer but is able to browse shares on a Windows 2003 Server one. Probably going to return the PCH since this is paramount to what I was going to use PCH for.

What the?? Surely that cant be true!!! If it is when will they release a firmware to resolve this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesnt the A100 have this problem and only the A110?

A friend of mine has a A100 and can access the shares on his Xp Sp3 machine..

How is everyone with A110 accessing there media from there Xp Sp2 or Sp3 machines?
01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
(01-16-2009 09:05 PM)halfelite Wrote:  The error with sp2 and sp3 is an update by MS that changed how a samba share handshake works. I havent looked much into this but you can either uninstall the update or downgrade the firmware for now. Not much Syabas can do about someone else changing how there product works.

I know nothing will be done about this until someone takes charge of it (either staff, or a user) and walks everyone through what's happening (in the Bug Report forum), but I'll still ask some questions based on your assumption: If this particular issue was caused by something Microsoft did, why does downgrading the PCH A-100 firmware to failsafe (June 2008) fix the problem? Further, why can't current firmwares handle shares the way the failsafe firmware does, so users like myself can use the product again with a current firmware? The solution isn't to tell the millions of XP users to remove an otherwise working fix of Windows. My XP home shares continue to work with everything that tries to access them with the exception of the Popcorn Hour.
01-18-2009, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2009 12:04 AM by Willem53.)
(01-11-2009 06:18 PM)Man Wrote:  Well, I guess we're all waiting for a new firmware release, since a lot (!) of people have problems accessing shares from the A110.

I am using the A110 with a Qnap TS-409 Pro (NAS) and it's just not working.
I see the logins in the qnap admin, but the PCH connection attempts timeout.
IP address is used for the SMB share och the shares are working perfectly from other computers and devices using SMB and the same network.

NFS is not working either. I downgraded the firmware, and then managed to browse the files, but nothing could be started.

/Man

What do you expect in the next FW to address your issues?
(01-11-2009 12:24 PM)MonaroGTS Wrote:  Hi,

I have a A110 with the latest firmware and can access the web services clips (you tube etc) but when i try and connect to one of the shares off my XP machine im unable too.

I have shared out a few folders but when i select them on the PCH it just keeps loading with that circle in top left hand corner.

I then got the other laptop and was able to connect to the XP shares but had to set the username to Administrator (password was blank) and was then able to access the shares. I then changed the shares on the PCH to have it use the account Administrator but it just sits there waiting still.

I can access - Network - MSHOME - MYCOMPUTER - Photos
When i slect photos this is where it hungs and nothing loads.

Hope that makes since.

Any ideas?

Yes..... let the PCH use the same workgroup name...........don't set the login or passw.. make sure the internal IP range has enough access rights in the firewall and double check that for the PCH IP....

I can access all the shared on all PC's in my network.......... even those of my kids who use it to show of their downloaded...stuff... to their friends...

believe me it works and read the Italics in my signature........ahh while you are there try the WiKi link
(01-18-2009 05:54 AM)MonaroGTS Wrote:  What the?? Surely that cant be true!!! If it is when will they release a firmware to resolve this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesnt the A100 have this problem and only the A110?

A friend of mine has a A100 and can access the shares on his Xp Sp3 machine..

How is everyone with A110 accessing there media from there Xp Sp2 or Sp3 machines?

I got XP64 Pro....latest service pack ....all works.....

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2009 11:45 AM by cevad.)
Windows XP + Service Pack 3 here (32bit) and no problem accessing shares via my A-110 with latest firmware.

Also have no problem accessing PH hard drive via same XP box.

Original poster must have a configuration issue.

Make sure there is an exception in the windows firewall for file and printer sharing.
01-20-2009, 06:42 PM
I have problem accessing my shared folders with pcha110 on my Windows server 2008. But if i turn on another computer in same workgroup, only then can pch find my server.
So every time i'm gonna watch a movie,i need to turn on my comp with vista so pch should be able to find workgroup. Strange. Anyone who have same problem?
01-20-2009, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2009 10:05 PM by Aireoreion.)
I've this problem here too.

Connecting a A110 to Windows XP Prof. SP3 is not working. Both are in the same Workgroup.

Access without password on a network share, where everybody hase access rights does not work.
Nor does the admin share (c$) with user/pass entered.

Firewall or something like that is not enabled.
Only Netbios names are used

Before the firmware upgrade it worked in the workgroup and even with a domain pc.

Hop this gots fixed. A friend was really pissed off Dodgy

Greetings
---Aireoreion
01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
If you use \\192.168.x.x instead of \\computer_name it bypasses this problem. This of course, assuming you have a fixed ip on the computer you wish to access from the PCH.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to smartins for this post
01-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Also not to access the XP Pro computer and PCJH says that the file system is not recognized
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Well there is a problem that's for sure. Often after I turn on my PCH, it can't connect to my network shares and after it timeouts and I try again, it usally works.

I don't know if it's because of the MS patch, but these SMB problems needs to be fixed ASAP.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [BUG] A-400 Network share access pruthisith 1 44 Today 06:03 AM
Last Post: Willem53
  PCH-A110 Mounting network drives on startup Karel 1 418 03-06-2014 11:29 PM
Last Post: Karel
  Network performance with new NAS EasyTiger 1 503 02-19-2014 06:53 AM
  PCH C-300 Network Browse and NFS not working Tenchy 5 786 02-12-2014 12:05 PM
Last Post: Tenchy
  Help - Network streaming best configuration ? Tass 0 573 02-10-2014 03:24 PM
Last Post: Tass
  A410 and MAC access using FTP broera 0 590 02-08-2014 09:27 PM
Last Post: broera
  Strange network problems ThrawnJl 11 862 02-08-2014 06:49 AM
Last Post: ThrawnJl
  Synology 412+ - Wan access disconnects Biggy82 0 519 02-06-2014 12:24 PM
Last Post: Biggy82
  Synology shares fail, Qnap shares work fine Searcher1 3 648 02-06-2014 07:56 AM
  C200 Unable to connect to server - No App Store or Web services - Updated iossif23 0 888 01-30-2014 12:52 PM
Last Post: iossif23