Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
WIKI!! WIKI!!! WIKI!!!! - Join In!
02-02-2009, 11:28 PM
RE: WIKI!! WIKI!!! WIKI!!!! - Join In!
Great work on the wiki! It looks very promising. Well done!

I have recently obtained my PCH A-110. It doesn't have a harddisk and I guess it never will. A very important bit of information on just about every wiki-page I visit will be whether or not I will need a harddisk for whatever it is I am reading about. I have seen info about this on the skins-page; I'd love it if a line about it was available on any page.
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Although I'm relatively new to all this, I'll be happy to contribute. Started writing a few bits on AVF because I found several things confusing (not just the NMT setup, but relating to files and ripping as this can be a major stumbling block to actually getting things working); just let me know if and where you want me to startSmile
02-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Cool, thanks for including my bits too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
(02-03-2009 02:45 AM)lundman Wrote:  Cool, thanks for including my bits too.
No problems at all, in fact where would we be without Llink & Telnet etc.Cool

I think you would be an ideal candidate for an Editors role even if its just for the pages on your own apps. Keeping them up to date and bringing new articles forward if/when you develop anything new for the NMT. How about it?

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
(02-02-2009 10:57 PM)jackadam Wrote:  Can anyone improve my {{Troubleshooting}} template? Is there a central place for wiki buzz? This thread maybe?

What is that template for?
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
(02-03-2009 12:15 PM)rioch Wrote:  What is that template for?

Improve navigation possibilities.

Macbook, OSX 10.8.3 - PCH 110 with 1TB WD HD - Wireless connection
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
(02-04-2009 10:07 AM)jackadam Wrote:  Improve navigation possibilities.

I've seen where you've used it, and it looks good, but be careful. If other people change the template to add more troubleshooting pages to it, before long it (and all pages that use it) will be bloated with links.
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
(02-04-2009 10:29 AM)rioch Wrote:  I've seen where you've used it, and it looks good, but be careful. If other people change the template to add more troubleshooting pages to it, before long it (and all pages that use it) will be bloated with links.

That's what we call cooperation. I hope more troubleshooting sections are added, and more internal links will be added as well. That way we will get a consistent and usefull wiki. I hope all solutions and things in the forum will eventually move to the wiki. Google the forum is okay, but an up-to-date wiki is a lot better.

Macbook, OSX 10.8.3 - PCH 110 with 1TB WD HD - Wireless connection
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
(02-04-2009 10:46 AM)jackadam Wrote:  That's what we call cooperation. I hope more troubleshooting sections are added, and more internal links will be added as well. That way we will get a consistent and usefull wiki. I hope all solutions and things in the forum will eventually move to the wiki. Google the forum is okay, but an up-to-date wiki is a lot better.

I agree, but initially the wiki was a single page of links and everyone hated it. Organisation is still important. Nevertheless, I like the idea as it is useful.
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
[quote='rioch' pid='138263' dateline='1233609998']
@kermit
I'm glad to see you're thinking as far ahead as translations. That would be great one day, but I'm not sure we're ready for that yet. As for contributing in English, if you feel capable, then please do. If there are any problems with your writing you'll be notified promptly Smile

Thanks for the credit on my english ;-)
I offered my support for translations because I figured that it would be job that could have done offline without too much pressure on timing. My work and family are keeping me quite busy and I'm not sure I can guarantee an effective support on a wiki category as you are looking for.

In any case, if you will have the need for a "spot" job, please let me know.

Kermit (Alex)
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
(02-04-2009 02:51 PM)kermit Wrote:  [quote='rioch' pid='138263' dateline='1233609998']
@kermit
I'm glad to see you're thinking as far ahead as translations. That would be great one day, but I'm not sure we're ready for that yet. As for contributing in English, if you feel capable, then please do. If there are any problems with your writing you'll be notified promptly Smile

Thanks for the credit on my english ;-)
I offered my support for translations because I figured that it would be job that could have done offline without too much pressure on timing. My work and family are keeping me quite busy and I'm not sure I can guarantee an effective support on a wiki category as you are looking for.

In any case, if you will have the need for a "spot" job, please let me know.

Kermit (Alex)

The only "spot" job I can think of myself is moderating content on a wiki-wide basis and contributing by adding articles. If you don't add any, we won't notice because we don't expect it.

See the Tasks section in the Wiki Help contents page: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...p:Contents

Thanks again for offering to help. We don't expect anyone to give up their family for the sake of the wiki. hehe.
02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Shall we try to get the Categories settled?

I see that we have these put forward and/or on the Front Page:-

*About
**Syabas
**NMT
**Products

*Getting Started
**Hardware
**Software
**Installation
**Network Share

*Status
**Firmware

*Support
**Audio (music and video)
**Visual (images and video)
**Networking (/Streaming)
**Modifications
**Troubleshooting
**Forum

*Development
**Skins (changes look/feel)
**Extensions (extends functions)
**Apps (adds functionality)
**Jukebox

*WIKI Guide
**Formatting
**Templates
**Categories

Is that everyones understanding and are we agreed for the time being? We can tweal later on but to try to get the 106 Articles categorised correctly we need to agree the list and then go and add the Categories to the articles.

I'm a littel unsure on Status and think that perhaps two main categories that split all of the sub categories that are under support more equally may be better?

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-04-2009, 03:01 PM
(02-04-2009 02:58 PM)chris57 Wrote:  Shall we try to get the Categories settled?

I see that we have these put forward and/or on the Front Page:-

*About
**Syabas
**NMT
**Products

*Getting Started
**Hardware
**Software
**Installation
**Network Share

*Status
**Firmware

*Support
**Audio (music and video)
**Visual (images and video)
**Networking (/Streaming)
**Modifications
**Troubleshooting
**Forum

*Development
**Skins (changes look/feel)
**Extensions (extends functions)
**Apps (adds functionality)
**Jukebox

*WIKI Guide
**Formatting
**Templates
**Categories

Is that everyones understanding and are we agreed for the time being? We can tweal later on but to try to get the 106 Articles categorised correctly we need to agree the list and then go and add the Categories to the articles.

I'm a littel unsure on Status and think that perhaps two main categories that split all of the sub categories that are under support more equally may be better?

Yeah, I've not been so sure about status either, but haven't thought of a good replacement. I suppose placing it under Support would be viable, but it would still be called status...what do you propose?
02-04-2009, 03:37 PM
How about getting rid of Status entirely and moving the firmware into the About category or Getting Started category.

I think we need to consider 'Skins' also, it should be Skins/Themes or something else to indicate that not only Skins but theme's including index.htm one page themes.

If for example I was to place the H264 encoding guide in the Support/Visual category would it be :-
[[Category:Visual]] or
[[Category:Support/Visual]] or
Something else

Also say an article is in two categories would it be:-
[[Category:Support]]
[[Category:Visual]]
or can you enter both categories in one line, say:
[[Category:Support | Visual]] or
Something else

02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
(02-04-2009 03:37 PM)chris57 Wrote:  How about getting rid of Status entirely and moving the firmware into the About category or Getting Started category.

I think we need to consider 'Skins' also, it should be Skins/Themes or something else to indicate that not only Skins but theme's including index.htm one page themes.

If for example I was to place the H264 encoding guide in the Support/Visual category would it be :-
[[Category:Visual]] or
[[Category:Support/Visual]] or
Something else

Also say an article is in two categories would it be:-
[[Category:Support]]
[[Category:Visual]]
or can you enter both categories in one line, say:
[[Category:Support | Visual]] or
Something else

I have to say I'm not fond of putting Firmware in About since that to me describes what NMT is; the firmware is more of a support/hardware detail. I'd also say that firmware isn't really a getting started issue, unless it's something like "Updrade Firmware" which might be useful for beginners if they need to upgrade first.

If you search for Themes you are redirected to Skins, so I suppose they are already together. In fact, there is nothing different between a skin and a theme - they change the look and feel. If skins has sections for both index.html and the rest, that should cover it, right?

As for multiple categories. I'm not 100% sure. I'd add them to both categories, but I think at this point the use of categories isn't so clear.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Edit Wiki - How ? WhiteVanMan 2 943 06-20-2012 10:36 PM
Last Post: WhiteVanMan
  WIKI - login details chris57 0 1,095 05-31-2011 03:20 PM
Last Post: chris57
  i've looked through the wiki over and over again but i cant find an answer Daminite 3 1,882 11-13-2010 09:19 AM
  the wiki is a little too spread out. accident 3 1,816 06-25-2010 01:19 AM
Last Post: accident
  Someone fix the wiki please Flashkick 7 2,751 06-12-2010 01:22 AM
  Ok, I've read through the Wiki and I'm already lost... payday05 12 3,450 03-10-2010 09:24 AM
  WIKI C200 - updating chris57 1 2,228 09-24-2009 12:21 AM
Last Post: Trollslayer
  crotchets wiki post rioch 3 1,941 04-13-2009 08:59 AM
Last Post: rioch
  WIKI-page requested to gather all the info. duckland 20 8,255 01-04-2009 07:05 PM
Last Post: Willem53
Question Wiki Opinion rioch 5 3,372 12-25-2008 11:57 AM
Last Post: dc11ab