Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
new to nmt and very lost
02-13-2009, 11:37 PM
new to nmt and very lost
Hi,

I just got a HDX 1000. I installed a HDD (Barracuda, 1 tera). They formatted it in the shop as NFTS. I can connect it to tv, no problem and my computer (OS Vista) can talk to it. However, I have serious problems loading my files into the NMT. The computer crashes almost every time and it is getting harder and harder. From what I have read, Ext 2/3 would be a better option for formatting the hard drive. Should I do that? Can it be done once that it has NFTS format?

This is only the beginning of my bewilderment with the machine, but I think it will be of great help to know what to do about it.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
02-13-2009, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2009 11:49 PM by daniel.boone.)
RE: new to nmt and very lost
How are you trying to copy files over? In this case best way is to use the usb slave host connector and attach the nmt to your computer.

If you want NMT apps - reformat to ext3 and install. I don't believe a re-format would help with the copy. In fact it complicates things for most newbies. Look in the tutorial section. You will find lots of discussions on connecting and copying files.

Yanfoe Home Page
02-13-2009, 11:52 PM
(02-13-2009 11:37 PM)donald davidson Wrote:  Hi,

I just got a HDX 1000. I installed a HDD (Barracuda, 1 tera). They formatted it in the shop as NFTS. I can connect it to tv, no problem and my computer (OS Vista) can talk to it. However, I have serious problems loading my files into the NMT. The computer crashes almost every time and it is getting harder and harder. From what I have read, Ext 2/3 would be a better option for formatting the hard drive. Should I do that? Can it be done once that it has NFTS format?

This is only the beginning of my bewilderment with the machine, but I think it will be of great help to know what to do about it.

Thanks.

I use FTP, it's faster, can queue files and doesn't care about the disc format.

A110 with 1TB Seagate, PC with 4TB share
Onkyo 606, Celestion 5.1 speakers
Samsung PS58B850
02-13-2009, 11:55 PM
(02-13-2009 11:49 PM)daniel.boone Wrote:  How are you trying to copy files over? In this case best way is to use the usb slave host connector and attach the nmt to your computer.

If you want NMT apps - reformat to ext3 and install. I don't believe a re-format would help with the copy. In fact it complicates things for most newbies. Look in the tutorial section. You will find lots of discussions on connecting and copying files.

Thanks a lot.

I am using the usb slave connector. I am moving stuff as if I was doing it between two internal hard drives in the computer. First I managed to move 15 or 20 dvix movies and a bunch of .iso files. Every time I had problems I needed to restart everything (computer crashed beyond recovery, despite being very new and very powerful), but things are getting worse. Now I can hardly copy a single file without crashes.
02-14-2009, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 12:02 AM by daniel.boone.)
Can you connect the drive directly to the computer? Problem could be anything right now. Try to eliminate things one at a time. The learning curve on these toys can be step at times but well worth it IMO.
Maybe your trying to copy too many files at one time?

Yanfoe Home Page
02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
(02-14-2009 12:00 AM)daniel.boone Wrote:  Can you connect the drive directly to the computer? Problem could be anything right now. Try to eliminate things one at a time. The learning curve on these toys can be step at times but well worth it IMO.
Maybe your trying to copy too many files at one time?

I was trying to copy an awful lot of files at a time, succeeding partially in the beginning. Now I can hardly copy 1. Should I delete everything, reformat and start again more conservatively?
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I would bite the bullet and let the HDX format your HDD.

Download the latest firmware package and put the files on the ROOT of a USB stick. Then goto Maintenance>NMT SEtup Wizard. Select Ext3 as format and USB as the source of the format file. Then let the HDX format.

Afterwards go to NMT Applications and turn on FTP server, SMB server and map your PC shares on the HDX. On your PC map to the internal HDD via:

FTP
user: ftpuser
password: 1234
port: 21
IP: IP of your HDX

or

SMB via enter:
\\IPofHDX\
then use
user: nmt

Check your HDX manual for the userid/password in case HDX have changed them from the default PCH ones.

You can still use USB slave to copy over bulk amounts but for a couple of films FTP/SMB is far more convienient.

Here's the USB slave guide with screenshots:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=12176

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Considering the problems I would reformat. Choice is your as to which type you'd like to use. If you think your going to use NMT apps reformat and install. Once the drive is full with media it gets much harder.

Cheers

Yanfoe Home Page
02-14-2009, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 12:51 AM by donald davidson.)
Thanks a lot. I don't want to bother you guys with starter questions, but I swear I tried to do it myself browsing the wiki and reading some post. I'll do what you suggest, but I suspect I'll get stuck at some point (for instance: will I be able to find "Maintenance>NMT SEtup Wizard" from my computer? the ftp, smb stuff means I need to have the HDX connected to the web?)

(02-14-2009 12:06 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I would bite the bullet and let the HDX format your HDD.

Download the latest firmware package and put the files on the ROOT of a USB stick. Then goto Maintenance>NMT SEtup Wizard. Select Ext3 as format and USB as the source of the format file. Then let the HDX format.

Afterwards go to NMT Applications and turn on FTP server, SMB server and map your PC shares on the HDX. On your PC map to the internal HDD via:

FTP
user: ftpuser
port: 21
IP: IP of your HDX

or

SMB via enter:
\\IPofHDX\
then use
user: nmt

Check your HDX manual for the userid/password in case HDX have changed them from the default PCH ones.

You can still use USB slave to copy over bulk amounts but for a couple of films FTP/SMB is far more convienient.

Here's the USB slave guide with screenshots:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=12176

How do I do these things? I have been trying but...

(02-14-2009 12:06 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I would bite the bullet and let the HDX format your HDD.

Already two questions: do I need to rename 0-17-081023-15-HDD-403.nmt to syb8634.nmt? Is the ROOT of the USB stick just the (now empty after reformating as FAT32) general folder of the stick?

Thanks again.
02-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Yes on the PCH you rename the nmt file to syb8634.nmt.

You need three files on the stick, nothing else no folder.

syb8634.nmt
0-17-081023-15-HDD-403.bin
usbupdate.html

Now take the USB stick to your HDX and the rest is with your remote and on your Tv screen.

Insert USB stick and navigate to the sources page.

Then select the USB stick.
Then select the 4th icon called files/browser
Then select usbupdate and follow the onscreen instructions.

If you firmware is up to date it should tell you so and abort. If not then update via USB your firmware.

After firmware update it should reboot and go automatically to the first screen for formatting the HDD.

Dont worry if it doesnt as you simply go to Maintenance and select 'NMT Setup Wizard'
Then 'Fresh' install and Ext3, this will wipe your HDD but install the NMT apps and format the HDD to Ext3. Select Ext3 and USB as the source of the update.

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-14-2009, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 07:33 PM by donald davidson.)
(02-14-2009 04:19 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Yes on the PCH you rename the nmt file to syb8634.nmt.

Thank you very much, Chris. That is successfully done. I guess now I have to face to toughest part, getting my PC to talk to the Linux-format HDX. I'll try on my own, but I am sure you'll hear from me again.
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 08:11 PM by chris57.)
No problem anytimeBig Grin

If you are wanting a quick success install myihome:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...hp/Myihome

Settings on your HDX to share your PC shares in XP:-
http://www.mpcclub.com/temp/MPC_SMB_and_...de_PCH.pdf

For Vista users your netwokr tips:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=11334

Do not worry about the fact that the HDX is Linux at all.

Go with myihome (it has an excellent user guide) and SMB. myihome as its the quickest protocol (http 42mb/s) and SMB as you can stream DVD ISO/video_ts files.

For file transfer from your PC to the HDX use FTP:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...work_Share
Remember to turn ON the NMT Applications FTP Server, SMB Server!!

02-14-2009, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2009 09:00 PM by daniel.boone.)
Food for thought...MNT will still have copy problems if you try to many files at one time. The file system format will not fix this. In your case the format was a recommendation just to get you functional again.

Remember the NMT is not a full blown computer. If you need to copy over a large number of files use FTP over a physical network connection. FTP will be able to queue your files and should keep things moving along.

Yanfoe Home Page
02-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. But before I move to installing myihome, moving files around and crying for help, I already have a serious problem. The HDX freezes! This happens either if I leave it on for a while without doing anything or if I go online with the HDX and play a video from utube. Now the remote doesn't talk to the HDX and I need to switch it off and on.

Could it be that the machine is behaving weirdly due to all the crashes before installing the new firmware and formatting it to ext 3? Should I bring it back to factory settings and then install firmware and format as ext 3 again?

Cheers.
02-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Check out your network settings before panicking.

Tell us what ip settings you have set and how your network is configured. You may just have the wrong DNS addresses or something. What NMT apps are turned ON? Reboot your router/modem.

There is talk of freezing with HDX units:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=16631

But get your settings right and check your network before jumping on any bandwagon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  /tmp files wiped out after NFS mounting -- settings lost garp99 1 4,338 10-19-2009 06:16 PM
Last Post: Sangroid
  I am totally lost -.- torytrae 11 4,456 06-18-2009 07:56 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Lost trying to aggregate movies w2irt 5 2,901 04-28-2009 09:18 AM
  still very lost starting up hdx 1000 donald davidson 2 1,714 02-14-2009 04:20 AM