Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
[AUDIO] Two Audio Streams, How does PCH Pick?
06-12-2009, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2009 11:00 AM by werner.)
[AUDIO] Two Audio Streams, How does PCH Pick?
I have multiple PCH A-100s in my house. One is hooked up to a receiver that plays about any format (e.g. DTS). The others are hooked up directly to TVs that do not decode anything so, they need a basic format (e.g. they cannot play DTS). I am having a lot of problems getting Blu-Ray rips to play throughout the house when the Blu-Ray audio is encoded in DTS format. I have been unsuccessful in converting the DTS to something that the other TVs like so, I was wondering if I have two audio formats in the file (e.g. DTS and AC3 2.0) which one gets played by the PCH? Do they both get sent to the A/V device and the A/V device picks or does the PCH pick an audio stream and send it? Can a user choose which audio stream is sent per PCH (e.g. can I have my PCH connected to my DTS receiver play DTS from that file while the PCH connected directly to a TV play AC3 2.0 from that same file that they are both reading from a NAS drive)?
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
RE: Two Audio Streams, How does PCH Pick?
No expert here but, me thinks;

The PCH selects the audio stream being feed to the device. I think it selects the first audio stream in the container. You can change the audio stream by pushing the audio button on the remote.
06-12-2009, 03:40 PM
If you're playing files from an MKV container, you can remux with MKVMerge (part of MKVtoolnix) and set a ''default'' flag to one of the audio streams, the popcorn hour sticks to this Default flag in MKV containers and always chooses that stream first.

You could also use MKVExtract and extract the .DTS stream and re encode it to something else so it would be universally playable throughout your house, failing that you can try using AuidoConverter ( http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=20887 ) to convert the .DTS track to something like .AC3 again to keep it universally playable (of course, you must be playing from an .mkv format file to do this)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Red - White - and - Murloc
06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I just played with this, for the heck of it. I read LinearCannoN's post and decided to try a .ts container. I put 6 audio streams in the .ts container and played it on the PCH. The PCH does as I said with a .ts container. It by default picks the first audio stream in the container. You can cycle through the streams by pressing the "audio" button on the remote and they play in the same order as in the container. You can see the order by looking at the file with MediaInfo. You can also set the order with tsMuxeR when you create the .ts container.
06-12-2009, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2009 05:10 PM by LinearCannoN.)
(06-12-2009 01:10 PM)shaggyjb Wrote:  I have multiple PCH A-100s in my house. One is hooked up to a receiver that plays about any format (e.g. DTS). The others are hooked up directly to TVs that do not decode anything so, they need a basic format (e.g. they cannot play DTS). I am having a lot of problems getting Blu-Ray rips to play throughout the house when the Blu-Ray audio is encoded in DTS format. I have been unsuccessful in converting the DTS to something that the other TVs like so

So to sum up

A .ts format can have multiple Audio Streams, and the PCH will choose the first track in the container, you can switch between the audio streams with the ''Audio'' button at the bottom middle of the PCH remote control.

A .mkv format can have multiple Audio Streams, the PCH will choose the audio stream marked 'Default' first, failing that it will choose the first track in the container (i just tested this), also, you can switch between the audio streams with the ''Audio'' button at the bottom middle of the PCH remote control.

(06-12-2009 01:10 PM)shaggyjb Wrote:  I was wondering if I have two audio formats in the file (e.g. DTS and AC3 2.0) which one gets played by the PCH? Do they both get sent to the A/V device and the A/V device picks or does the PCH pick an audio stream and send it? Can a user choose which audio stream is sent per PCH (e.g. can I have my PCH connected to my DTS receiver play DTS from that file while the PCH connected directly to a TV play AC3 2.0 from that same file that they are both reading from a NAS drive)?

Yes, this is possible, just Play the file on whichever PCH you wish, and select one of the Audio tracks as mentioned above :-)

Also, incase you wondered, Remuxing does not impact quality (unlike re encoding), so encoding another version of the DTS audio track and muxing it into the original File's container will not change the quality of the original files, simply add another audio stream to those already present.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Red - White - and - Murloc
[+] 1 user says Thank You to LinearCannoN for this post
06-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Thank you for this information!!!!!!! Support community rocks. Smile
06-13-2009, 09:35 PM
On a follow-up note for anyone else that encounters such an issue, I successfully used ClownBD to convert DTS to AC3 in one easy step for Blu-Rays with DTS audio. I couldn't get ToNMT to do this, and it is not clear if it supports DTS to AC3 when remuxing Blu-Rays.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Audio] No sound with Main AAC Profile frayaka 2 1,036 01-12-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: VideoRipper
  [AUDIO] No sound after passing trough Receiver - A-110 vitoraugusto 4 1,589 10-01-2013 04:52 PM
Last Post: vitoraugusto
  AC3 audio not detected by A-100? sarumbear 1 1,340 08-03-2013 12:55 AM
Last Post: VideoRipper
  [Audio] [A110] Why is this audio "scratchy" sounding? hcour 0 1,243 05-20-2013 02:51 AM
Last Post: hcour
  [AUDIO] Noise at beginning of file play Iggy 0 1,341 01-23-2013 06:53 PM
Last Post: Iggy
  [audio] mopidy jkoks 7 4,670 12-16-2012 05:12 PM
Last Post: dizz-e
  [AUDIO] DLNA possibilities Djiest 1 1,522 12-02-2012 08:52 AM
Last Post: Djiest
  Should the A110 be able to play ts files with DTS HD MA audio? lchiu7 7 4,725 10-22-2012 10:59 PM
Last Post: lchiu7
  [Audio] Any way to adjust audio-video sync in A-100? rshri 4 1,894 10-22-2012 04:48 AM
Last Post: rshri
  [AUDIO] How to reduce DTS dynamic range ninodiz 0 1,426 10-19-2012 06:52 AM
Last Post: ninodiz