Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Newbie - Best NMT apps?
06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Best NMT apps?
Hello everyone, I have had my HDX-1000 with a Samsung Spinpoint drive now for about a month and have not yet figured out just what I must do to make it the wonderful device I know it is waiting to be for me.

I have installed the NMT Community Software Installer which looks great, but basically, I am completely confused as to which applications I should install to have fast downloads that do not completely block my cheap router (perhaps I must buy a new one). Currently, I am just using the basic torrent app which goes very slow and I cannot use internet when it is activated, I imagine because of the number of connections.

I would basically like my NMT to be my media centre with minimal PC interaction. I would like to copy all my music and videos to the internal HDD and have a nice interface for playing them.

I would like to be able to download from the internet (series mostly) and fast speeds and not block my router.

My music files are a complete mess, so if someone can please suggest a good program to either tag or rename them, I would also appreciated it.

If I can just get to this stage, I will be the happiest of campers! :o)

Anything else will be icing on the cake.

Thanking everyone in advance!!

HDX 1000 w/ Samsung Spinpoint F1 - 1TB
Find all posts by this user
06-29-2009, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2009 07:23 PM by excal.)
RE: Newbie - Best NMT apps?
this is a good thread for organizing and setting up your music for the NMT devices.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=12212
Apps

journey's - torrent-watch (aka NMT-DVR)

lordy's - oversight is a good local jukebox thing.

transmission is good for better torrent downloads.

Pannasonic Plasma 50" -->HK254-->Emotiva xpa-5 & upa-2
A100 w/ 500gb HDD, A200 w/ mn100, c200 w/ 2.5" 250gb
Calm 2.1, YAMJ - Redefined 1.8a skin, Music Jukebox 8
WHS ex490 w/ 2.5tb's
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the quick reply excal!

I have tried in the past using some of the softwares recommended for file tagging, but I have a monumental task ahead of me getting them in order.

But hopefully someone can help me with apps to put onto my NMT. Smile

07-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Try a freeware app called mp3tag for your music files, attach a cover and it will display during playback:-
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Then look at either Dynamic Music Jukebox or Music Jukebox.

For video myihome is a good start for PC streaming but if you want to put stuff on the internal HDD then use USB slave for moving large quantities perhaps during intial setup:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i.../USB_Slave

thereafter downloading on your NMT or transferring from your PC to the internal HDD via your network and say FTP:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...ernal_disk

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
07-03-2009, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2009 09:55 AM by lordy.)
Hi , which torrent application are you using?

If you are using usenet, Oversight will show you all of the latest media to be downloaded,
and it has specific support for TV series. The upcoming version also grabs different season posters from thetvdb.

Torrents are a tricky one because as far as I can tell, transmission does not automatically move downloads that are complete? [I'd love to be corrected on this?]. So it makes it hard to detect new media.

I will also be adding a watch folder for torrents, and to help support NAS installs.
Oversight is offline at the moment but I hope to have it back in action by Sunday.

To get smooth downloading I'd recommend switching to usenet, for about $11 a month if you can find the Astraweb offer.
There may be some torrent client tweks you can do also (I suspect reducing #of active client connections)

PS Not really posting to mention Oversight in a best app thread , esp considering recent history : ) but specifically addressing the following:
> minimal PC interaction
> (series mostly)

Oversight: Jukebox | FeedTime: Automatic nzbs
07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the replies chris57 and lordy! I will take them in turn.

I had already downloaded mp3tag based on the links sent from excal, but have not had a chance to give it a full try yet. Dynamic Music Box sounds promising and I look forward to giving it a try.

Now I am not a complete technical moron, but NMT is completely new to me and I still have not quite got a handle on all the terminology. That is why I get confused with what I must install to get the most of my HDX-1000. I simply do not understand what the software descriptions are telling me.

lordy - Up until now, I have been using the basic torrent app which is included with the original NMT apps installation and it has been presenting me with two problems. 1) It is painfully slow in downloading and 2) it blocks my modem/router even for simple internet use. I think the second problem is due to the number of connections. I am not sure if it is just a problem with my modem/router and I must buy a new one or if it can be fixed by playing with ports.

I think the answer is to pay for a usenet service, like you suggest. Friends are using MegaUpload and seem happy with it. Which software do I install from the community in order to use these services without turning on my computer? Oversight does this? Is it included in the NMT Community Installer repository?

Again, cheers for all the information. Hopefully one day soon I will be answering questions instead of asking them. Smile

07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
I dont use MegaUpload/Rapidshare etc, I tend to stick with Usenet. If you use Usenet then the NMT firmware has a builtin usenet client (nzbget) - and a newer version is available via the CSI installer.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...net_Client

There is also a 3rd party file downloading app which *I think* works with megaupload/rapidshare etc.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=16833

There are arguments for and against which may be worth googling
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=megaupload+vs+usenet
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rapidshare+vs+usenet

Just to avoid confusion the things you are asking for are coverted by different apps doing different bits:

nzbget will download from usenet.
'Download Manager' will download from Rapidshare.

Next some scripts I have work specifically with nzbget to unpack and rename the files.
I plan to make these scripts work with torrent applications at some point, but I havent done this yet for various reasons.

Finally a Jukebox of some kind will allow simple visual navigate of what has been downloaded.
Sounds like you want something that
- auto-updates,
- can display tv series

Oversight can do this , however the auto-updates only with with Usenet at the moment.
I'll be adding a watch-folder capability soon so auto updates will work with any downloader that can move completed files into a specific folder.

However Oversight is temporarily offline due to a bug which overwrite media files in a small number of cases.
I've fixed it but want to give it a good testing before putting it back in the CSI.

Oversight is video only though, See Chris's suggestions for the Music stuff.

07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Really, I cannot thank you enough for the input lordy. I think I am going to try for starters with UseNeXT. Have you heard of them? Will Oversight work fine with them?

Now for some probably silly question, if you do not mind. What exactly must I install on my HDX? nzbget is preinstalled? or must I install it? Then I just use the Mini Installer (http://prodynamic.co.uk/nzbget/index.html) and I am good to go? Or do I just install all of these from the Community Installer?

I apologise, but this is really the first time I am installing anything onto my HDX-1000, so I am still slightly confused. I am sure after going through this, I will start to get the hang of it. Smile

07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
(07-07-2009 05:04 PM)spmcd Wrote:  Really, I cannot thank you enough for the input lordy. I think I am going to try for starters with UseNeXT. Have you heard of them? Will Oversight work fine with them?

Oversight doesnt see the usenet service. The built in usenet client ( nzbget application ) deals with this. UseNext I can vouch for but have generally ignored them in the past.

I'd recommend straweb $11 pm http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

(07-07-2009 05:04 PM)spmcd Wrote:  Now for some probably silly question, if you do not mind. What exactly must I install on my HDX? nzbget is preinstalled? or must I install it? Then I just use the Mini Installer (http://prodynamic.co.uk/nzbget/index.html) and I am good to go? Or do I just install all of these from the Community Installer?

Get everything from CSI. Install oversight AFTER nzbget.

(07-07-2009 05:04 PM)spmcd Wrote:  I apologise, but this is really the first time I am installing anything onto my HDX-1000, so I am still slightly confused. I am sure after going through this, I will start to get the hang of it. Smile

We all have to start somewhere Smile

07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
(07-07-2009 05:04 PM)spmcd Wrote:  Really, I cannot thank you enough for the input lordy. I think I am going to try for starters with UseNeXT. Have you heard of them? Will Oversight work fine with them?

Now for some probably silly question, if you do not mind. What exactly must I install on my HDX? nzbget is preinstalled? or must I install it? Then I just use the Mini Installer (http://prodynamic.co.uk/nzbget/index.html) and I am good to go? Or do I just install all of these from the Community Installer?

I apologise, but this is really the first time I am installing anything onto my HDX-1000, so I am still slightly confused. I am sure after going through this, I will start to get the hang of it. Smile

For a premium Usenet provider I would sugest Astraweb they have a special going on now till July 18th $96.00 usd for 1 year unlimited dsl access with up to 20 connections and ssl support as well. Their current retention is 325 days across all binary groups. I think Astraweb is one of the best if not the best premium usenet providers available right now they have both US and European servers.
07-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes I would also recommend AstraWeb, i'm on the $11/month for life offer, with SSL and unlimited downloads.

You can also look at torrentwatch which despite its current name will also download usenet for you via RSS feeds. I wakeup each morning to my favourite TV shows downloaded, pared, and unrared ready to watch.

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2009 11:31 AM by lordy.)
Or FeedTime Tongue
FWIW the link to the Astraweb offer is above.

07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you for all the information. Seems I am not receiving my emails telling me there are new posts, but no worries. I will probably opt for AstraWeb as you both have suggested.

Let´s see how it all goes once I get started. Smile

07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
(07-20-2009 02:08 PM)spmcd Wrote:  Thank you for all the information. Seems I am not receiving my emails telling me there are new posts, but no worries. I will probably opt for AstraWeb as you both have suggested.

Let´s see how it all goes once I get started. Smile

Hmm I take it you scrolled all the way down and pressed the 'subscribe to thread' button?

Take a look at your control panel>Edit Options:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/usercp...on=options
Under thread subscription select 'receive email'.

07-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Nope. As I started the thread, I understood it was not necessary because of my user settings. I did receive an email this time so I am not sure what is going on. Huh

Anyway, if I am not receiving the emails, I will just check every couple of days in the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Streaming 101 for Newbie in Cary NC bnsk15 0 2,601 07-21-2009 02:46 AM
Last Post: bnsk15
  Cannot ping a-110 - Windows apps cannot see box beatnut88 3 4,995 07-20-2009 06:15 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Alter apps on usb stick. Help needed. Can't mkdir. yazyazoo 5 2,981 07-13-2009 06:39 AM
  newbie needs help marksid 4 2,224 07-05-2009 11:13 PM
  newbie - alternate way of setting wireless info? jeebustrain 2 2,051 06-25-2009 02:20 PM
Last Post: jeebustrain
  newbie question (sorry) RE firmware GuDisM 3 1,984 06-14-2009 03:04 AM
Last Post: GuDisM
Sad Cannot install new NMT apps on HDX-1000 Jurmanns 5 3,100 06-11-2009 04:04 AM
Last Post: LinearCannoN
  How to install NMT Apps but save data in NTFS driver thang_ngo_2002 13 4,342 06-10-2009 04:34 PM
Last Post: thang_ngo_2002
  Newbie: How to connect laptop to A110 rapjp 1 2,470 06-09-2009 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gibbo
Brick Newbie question jayman 4 2,709 06-07-2009 02:07 PM
Last Post: jayman