Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: How would you rate our techincal support?
This poll is closed.
Good 17.41% 43 17.41%
Adequate 19.84% 49 19.84%
Bad 19.43% 48 19.43%
Not used 43.32% 107 43.32%
Total 247 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
PCH Technical Support
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2009 07:49 AM by chris57.)
PCH Technical Support
Hello NMT community,

I wanted to get some feedback from customers and fellow PCH users out there about our customer support. I've included an anectdote to make it a little more like story time too. Big Grin

Recently I had a customer call me, because my number is on the invoice it seems, to ask some questions about the S-210 product. He was having some issues getting the shares to work and I spent about 10 minutes guiding him through the process. He called back 2 more times for support, each time I stopped what I was doing to help him out. On the last try we hit a roadbump and I could not help him further. Seeing as how technical support isn't my main focus, the knowledge of my trobleshooting procedures can be limited. So I directed him to our dedicated support staff at the support.popcornhour.com page. I wished him a good day and we ended the call.

The next day I get his S-210 units in the mail and shortly afterwards I get CCed on an email from our general sales email account. The email stated that I was rude over the phone. Puzzled, I replied back expressing my apologies and insisting that I was only referring him to our support staff so he could receive better troubleshooting procedures and that I had not meant to offend him.

Right now our support is done via our online support only. I know for some of you, especially in the US, this can be a hassle. Seeing as how our support staff is located in Malaysia, you may have to put up with wait times because of the time difference and you don't get to speak with anyone in a real time dialogue. At the present time, we believe our procedures to be enough for the volume of units we're moving. Since we don't offer them in a brick and mortar store like Best Buy, we feel that with a community site such as this and with our online support staff we have things covered. What do you think? Take a vote in the poll and leave a comment for more in depth feedback.

Project Manager
Syabas Technology Inc. - US Office
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users say Thank You to swalters for this post
07-08-2009, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2009 07:32 PM by lordy.)
RE: Technical Support
Customers often get hold if direct numbers when its better for them to go through the correct channels so the call is tracked, traced and followed up etc.

However if they do get a direct number , I find handing them over to support has to be done in a very gentle an communicative way, because it's very easy for customer to perceive a fob off. They've got this great hotline where someone responds right away - much better than the support number that rings for ages!

I'm in a different industry but experience similar issues. What I will usually do is
- raise a support call on thier behalf and give them a number
- explain to them that the support have more resources to commit to that call
- maybe one follow up call to see if they are getting on with support OK, but make sure you let them know you are handing off any new information to support.

of course you have to factor in margins etc. Probably can afford to be too molly=coddling in this industry. I'm in a service sector where customers pay thousands for yearly support.
On things like PCH a support call quickly eats in to revenue never mind profit!

Just replace all phone numbers with Sales or Support on literature Smile

PS Im fine with not realtime support on devices like this as long as queries get a responce in 1 day or less.
I tend to bundle up as much info as I can to avoid too much back-and-forth.

PPS Only used HDX support and it started off real bad during the Chinese New Year fiasco, but got much better once Alex was back.

Oversight: Jukebox | FeedTime: Automatic nzbs
07-08-2009, 07:37 PM
How about another option - not used? I haven't needed it.

A110 with 1TB Seagate, PC with 4TB share
Onkyo 606, Celestion 5.1 speakers
Samsung PS58B850
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Missing poll option: Never used support Angle

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
07-08-2009, 07:53 PM
i added not used to it Big Grin
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2009 08:04 PM by mikael1984.)
I was the first one to voteTongue

To be completly honest, the support giving here is excellent. So thumbs up for the great support staff and the community itself.
I only wish Del* had the same touch on this.....

*PCH C-200 *SAMSUNG ECOGREEN F2 1.5TB (HD154UI) *BD LITEON IHOS104-37 * Dlink DIR-635 wired LAN *LG 47LG7000 1080P@ *Yamaha RX-V458 + 5.1 speakers *HDMI + optical out *4x 1TB WD Elements USB
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I've never had to use support, and I love the product.

Obviously I spend a lot of time on the forum, and for me this forum is one of the reasons that this is such a great device I probably wouldn't consider using support until the forum was sure my unit was knackered.

I'm sorry if this is too far left field but;
One thing I feel could be improved is the bug report, I don't know if syabas look through them? or what the procedure is?

I guess I'd never consider reporting a bug to support unless I really felt it were really bothering me, as I feel this is the only port of call. If I felt ignored and it was a brick wall for me then I'd be more likely to ask werner first before contacting support.

Generally though, well done, I'm proud to own a syabas product, will always recommend it to my friends, and will probably buy a C-200 even though I don't need it Big Grin

Storage Options
C-200, A-110, DAS400, Denon 1909 via HDMI, TXP42X10, KEF Q3 and Q9C surround
07-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok, take pity on me. I'm not exactly clear on what we are voting on.

I have used this site (ie. the forums) for support and I've also used the PCH web site for support. I'm not clear if Syabas is doing the support for all NMTs or just the PCH product? To me, they seem like two different things. I think your asking about PCH support on this web site (this web site supports more then just the PCH product) and also the PCH online web site support (ie.- the ticket thing)?
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Never used it, never had to. I didn't even know a number existed. Plus i prefer to deal with an online community where i can simply ask a question and get multiple answers from different users in different environment, usually on phone support your stuck with 1 person that might not know what you want to know.

PCH A-200 16GB USB -> HDMI -> Samsung LN46A650 | A200 -> Toslink -> Logitech Z-5500 (Harmony 700)
PCH C-200 8GB USB -> HDMI -> Sharp LC46D64U (Harmony 550)
Eversion Whisper eskin + WHS V1 (25TB Q6600/4GB RAM ) -> Mediasonic HR82-SU3S2 (Backup)
D-Link DNS 323 for sale
07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
The answers given in terms of expectations will also differ depending on where you live.

If you live in USA where you expect tremendous CS with things like replacements sent out same day, online telephone support, etc you may vote one way. If you are from say UK and are not used to thos then you may vote entirely different.

This forum is funded by Syabas and gives help by owners to other others, community driven. Support in other terms should be via your supplier, so if you buy an eGreat then you will never use PCH support. Therefore the poll is asking just PCH owners I believe.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
07-09-2009, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2009 01:28 PM by napchar.)
Had to RMA my unit twice already. During the first 2 months my unit was in transit or at PCH for +/- 6 weeks in total. As I'm in Belgium this is not too bad.
The only really negative thing about this is that I had to pay twice to get the unit cleared through customs... but I'm aware that this is outside of PCH's jurisdiction Wink

Anyways... now my unit is working fine and I'm very pleased with it.
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
(07-09-2009 09:12 AM)chris57 Wrote:  The answers given in terms of expectations will also differ depending on where you live.

If you live in USA where you expect tremendous CS with things like replacements sent out same day, online telephone support, etc you may vote one way. If you are from say UK and are not used to thos then you may vote entirely different.

This forum is funded by Syabas and gives help by owners to other others, community driven. Support in other terms should be via your supplier, so if you buy an eGreat then you will never use PCH support. Therefore the poll is asking just PCH owners I believe.

Thank-you. Now I can vote.
07-11-2009, 09:21 AM
RE: PCH Technical Support
I've never had a reason to use PCH support, personally. I just use this forum because all my queries so far have been software related.

The only case I would contact support for is if I end up with a hardware failure, to request an RMA. And luckily my A-100 is still very much going strong... Smile

I have been in touch via email with PCH Sales though, and they were impressively quick to reply as well as courteous and helpful. Full marks to them from my side.

Media tank:A-100 & C-200
TV:Panasonic TH-50PY800MT (HDMI)
Audio:Logitech Z-5500 (Coaxial)
07-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure how everyone else, is rating this?

I felt the question was based on a total rating between the PCH ticket system and what help you receive from this web site.

I used the ticket system once and the replies were most friendly and I feel the techs wanted to help. They did not solve the problem but I felt their "mood" went a long way.

The issue was actually solved here in the forums by Chris & Werner. I probably would not have said very much about the issue because, I thought the ticket system was the "correct" way to do it. With some probing by Werner, both Werner and Chris had the answer. I tried to kiss Werner but he wouldn't let me. Smile

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have nothing but good to say about the overall system.
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
(07-11-2009 08:25 PM)nuke12 Wrote:  I tried to kiss Werner but he wouldn't let me. Smile

Werner was out in his latest Leopard skin creation on the weekend I'm sure he wouldn't have minded a quick kiss:-
[Image: cohen_1.jpg]

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Syabas technical documents/specifications lundman 22 61,662 02-12-2009 05:41 AM
Last Post: fbacher