Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
WD10EADS causes A-110 to lock up
07-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Sad WD10EADS causes A-110 to lock up
Hi folks

(Apologies if this has been covered, but I have searched the forum and can't find any posts regarding this issue).

I bought a pch a-110 a few weeks back, and as it worked out cheaper, i bought a WD10EADS 1TB HD separately to install in it (after checking the hd compatibility wiki).
Initially, whenever i tried to format/setup the HD in the PCH, progress would get to about 3 - 5% and then the unit would just lock up with a blank screen and become completely unresponsive. After about 10 attempts, I gave up trying to set up the HD, and settled down to watch streamed movies. The unit would also lock randomly when watching any streamed stuff, inc xvids, dvd isos, mkv etc. Taking the HD out seemed to solve this, so I had the pch replaced with a brand new one, but the same thing kept happening.
I checked the HD in a PC using the WD diagnostic tools, and they reported bad sectors, so I then thought that maybe the HD was DOA and maybe this was causing my pch to lock up. Have had the HD replaced with a brand new one and i'm still getting this problem - its seriously driving me mad!! Angry
I have tried running the scandisk tools from a usb stick, but none of the options work at all, I just get a message saying request cannot be completed and the pch generally locks up after a while *again*.
The PCH is using the latest firmware, connected to a wired gig network and is connected to the TV via hdmi.
I'm getting seriously hacked off and seriously considering ditching the PCH, as surely I can't have got *two* faulty HDs and PCHs in a row.
If anybody could please help, I'd be extremely grateful. I can post any other info that is required.
Thanks in advance ;-)
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
RE: WD10EADS causes A-110 to lock up
In your position I'd put this disk in my PC, load gparted or other live Linux distro and wipe the drive there (either to NTFS or EXT3) and then do the installation in the NMT again.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Then I'd use this utility:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...gs_Changer

Hope this helps.

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to dc11ab for this post
07-11-2009, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2009 04:12 PM by shaf.)
(07-11-2009 02:25 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  In your position I'd put this disk in my PC, load gparted or other live Linux distro and wipe the drive there (either to NTFS or EXT3) and then do the installation in the NMT again.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Then I'd use this utility:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...gs_Changer

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately gparted isnt detecting my wd hd - im assuming its because the wd hd is plugged into a sata add-in card rather than the on board sata ports.
I'll keep plugging away and see what happens.

edit - gparted isnt finding the drive when attached to the onboard sata controler either. Gutted Undecided
07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Maybe that says something about the disk? I'm gutted too.

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
(07-11-2009 04:16 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  Maybe that says something about the disk? I'm gutted too.

Have just attached the hd to another sata card and windows is now seeing it with 3 partitions. (251mb, 494mb, 930.78gb). I assume these are the partitions created by the PCH?
This exactly what happened last time, even though the pch bombs after 3% or so of the setup procedure, these partitions seem to be created.

I'm seriously starting to think that its the pch's that have been corrupting these drives, as 2 brand new HDs seem to have been ruined, as I'm doubtful that I got 2 bad ones in a row from ebuyer.

Runninhg WD diagnostics again to see if they say anything.

Once again, thanks for your help so far, dc11ab - much appreciated ;-)
07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Your windows won't see it because it's EXT3.
You need this: http://www.fs-driver.org/

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
07-11-2009, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2009 05:06 PM by shaf.)
(07-11-2009 04:41 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  Your windows won't see it because it's EXT3.
You need this: http://www.fs-driver.org/

Windows *is* seeing the drive as the 3 partitions, when i connect it to an add-in sata card. I've deleted the 3 partitons, done a 'quick' drive zero, and am about to put it back in the pch. *fingers crossed*!
ok, pch bombed when formatting again, but strangely gparted is now seeing the drive! woot!
have created a single ext3 partition, and gparted is now formatting. Looking good (i hope!)
07-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry, my bad, "see" was a poor choice of words. EXT3 needs a driver to work (e.g. be usable) with Windows, no more no less.

Hope it works out!

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
07-11-2009, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2009 05:52 PM by shaf.)
Even after formatting the drive as ext3 with gparted the pch is still bombing. I ran the acoustic tool afterwards and set it to 128, tried formatting again and once again pch froze.
Im wondering, is it worth setting the PHY1.5 jumper on the HD or any of the other jumpers?
After looking at the wiki info at http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...ial_setup., i'm now trying with the comoponent cable rather than hdmi.... it's now at 32% of setup!!! Big Grin
07-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Did you format the WD HDD on your PC before you put it in the PCH?

I ask as I have just had a warranty replcement from WD and the drive was not recognised in my PC or on the PCH until I went into Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Storage and then highlighted the drive and intiialised it and formatted to NTFS.

Then when I placed it back in the RCH it formatted fine.

Make sure that you do not have any USB devices apart from a USB stick with the NMT Apps for the firmware version. Also do not overtighten the screws as that can cause alignment issues with the SATA conector. Then try to format using USB as the source rath er than online.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
07-11-2009, 06:09 PM
(07-11-2009 05:59 PM)chris57 Wrote:  Did you format the WD HDD on your PC before you put it in the PCH?

I ask as I have just had a warranty replcement from WD and the drive was not recognised in my PC or on the PCH until I went into Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Storage and then highlighted the drive and intiialised it and formatted to NTFS.

Then when I placed it back in the RCH it formatted fine.

Make sure that you do not have any USB devices apart from a USB stick with the NMT Apps for the firmware version. Also do not overtighten the screws as that can cause alignment issues with the SATA conector. Then try to format using USB as the source rath er than online.

Hi Chris

Initially, I didint format the HD before putting it into the a110.
But, as per dc11ab's suggestion, I did format it to ext3 with a gparted live cd. The pch setup has failed a few times since then, but as explained above, it now seems to be working when i connect the pch to me tv with a composite cable (the s/w packages are currently installing via online d/l). Weird!!
Im starting to think the problem isn't the hd, but actually some kind of isue with my setup, which is actually affecting hdmi output on the pch/ causing it to crash.
I've got the pch connected to a pretty cheapy hdmi swicth along with my 360 and ps3. Now I think about it, in the past my ps3 has failed to show any picture when the 360 was also plugged into the hdmi switch. Maybe theres some kind of interference or feedback going on thats buggering the pch?

(setup is now complete, so im gonna try streaming some video over network and plug pch directly into tv via hdmi to see if thats stops the crashing)
cheers
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Update - looks like connecting the pch directly to the tv has worked (touch wood!)
Been streaming various hd movies for the last hour or so, and previously, the unit would have crashed by now.

Hopefully thats the issue resolved, so many thanks for your time, guys ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  pch does not detect my WD10EADS pipo01 4 3,172 07-14-2009 10:04 PM
Last Post: Droggie
  HDD Comparison - WD10EVCS vs WD10EADS kampkrusty 4 4,936 03-21-2009 01:21 PM
Last Post: Tom_S
  Western Digital 1TB Green Drive Comparison: WD10EADS vs. WD10EACS bluefin 7 15,297 03-12-2009 08:33 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Western Digital Caviar Green (WD10EADS) and remote control Suleyman 16 5,699 01-25-2009 10:16 AM
Last Post: bieshose
  Problems with "Setup Page Lock" virtual5 3 2,248 12-22-2008 05:09 PM
Last Post: mr m
  [A-110] parental control or folder lock pvitto2 15 8,301 09-09-2008 07:25 PM
Last Post: excal