Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
[split] Is it ok to leave PCH on 24/7?
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
[split] Is it ok to leave PCH on 24/7?
Hi guys,
is there a way to prevent internal HD to spin-up when unauthenticated ftp/smb request comes from network in standby mode?
Find all posts by this user
07-29-2009, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2009 07:52 AM by chris57.)
RE: [split] Is it ok to leave PCH on 24/7?
Split as the question was not really on topic and it deserves a thread of its own.
Perhaps you should change the thread title as well.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
07-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I meant - threre's no issue with leaving it on "forever", but spinning up a harddisk at 2am is really annoying. And it pnly because somebody connects from the internet to port 21 and gets username/password prompt. Even if he doesn't pass, system reads something from disk.

Could this be treated as a bug to be fixed in future releases?
07-29-2009, 01:03 PM
(07-29-2009 12:54 PM)Lacyk Wrote:  I meant - threre's no issue with leaving it on "forever", but spinning up a harddisk at 2am is really annoying. And it pnly because somebody connects from the internet to port 21 and gets username/password prompt. Even if he doesn't pass, system reads something from disk.

Could this be treated as a bug to be fixed in future releases?

I don't see how you can treat that as a bug. How is any device to know if the connection on the other end is authentic or not until the username/password challenge is met?

If you must have port 21 redirected to the NMT from the internet then consider using the router to only allow access during certain hours.
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Or IP filtering, allowing only the IP address you know you'll connect from.

PCH A-110 with a Western Digital WD7500AAKS inside, TOSLINK to Onkyo TX-SR 507 and composite to CRT
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Well.. bug is not exact word...
I meant something like cache user database file in RAM (that contains only one username anyway). When authentication is not successful, then ftp server doesn't need to access harddrive.
07-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Well, there is only a finite amount of ram in the unit and to cache the authentication for all the protocols could be a problem. I don't know of any device that does this.

I seriously doubt, they would action anything like this. If it really bothers you, I would suggest finding another means to achieve your end result. Also consider, what are the number of NMTs out there compared the the ones co-located in sleeping areas? Might make for a good poll?
07-29-2009, 02:35 PM
(07-29-2009 02:11 PM)nuke12 Wrote:  Well, there is only a finite amount of ram in the unit and to cache the authentication for all the protocols could be a problem. I don't know of any device that does this.

I seriously doubt, they would action anything like this. If it really bothers you, I would suggest finding another means to achieve your end result. Also consider, what are the number of NMTs out there compared the the ones co-located in sleeping areas? Might make for a good poll?

Well, one thing is is is annoying during night. The second thing is, it keeps harddrive spinning almost continuously 24/7 - and this is my main concern - couldn't it harm an HD?
Limiting access based on IP or time is not an option for me, I have mates all arround the world.
Userdatabase on NMT contains 1 (one) pair of username-password (hardcoded limit). I'm wondering there's no space in RAM for that.
07-29-2009, 08:20 PM
(07-29-2009 02:35 PM)Lacyk Wrote:  Well, one thing is is is annoying during night. The second thing is, it keeps harddrive spinning almost continuously 24/7 - and this is my main concern - couldn't it harm an HD?
Actually, a drive spinning 7/24 is not a big issue. Many OS drives spin/run 7/24. The bigger problem seems to be parking/unparking all the time.

Lacyk Wrote:Limiting access based on IP or time is not an option for me, I have mates all arround the world.
I did suggest limiting access times via the router but if you have friends all around the world then they would need 7/24 access because of the different time zones.

Lacyk Wrote:Userdatabase on NMT contains 1 (one) pair of username-password (hardcoded limit). I'm wondering there's no space in RAM for that.
Place your request here: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/forumd...php?fid=41 and see how far it goes. If others want the same thing, then it might get noticed by Syabas.
07-29-2009, 08:29 PM
A little offtopic: a HDD is best left running always. Most wear and tear is caused by startup/shutdown, due to mechanical wear and temperature changes.

PCH A-110 with a Western Digital WD7500AAKS inside, TOSLINK to Onkyo TX-SR 507 and composite to CRT
07-30-2009, 12:58 AM
You could use a different port like 1021 and forward that to port 21 of your PCH through your router

Linksys E3000 (DD-WRT) - Cisco SG 200-08 - Synology DS1812+ - A-400 - Yamaha RX-V671 - Panasonic TC-P55GT30
C-200 w/ MN-200 WiFi - 30" Philips.
07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
(07-29-2009 08:29 PM)vaxxi Wrote:  A little offtopic: a HDD is best left running always. Most wear and tear is caused by startup/shutdown, due to mechanical wear and temperature changes.

I think, you might be correct. My personal results seem to suggest this but has there been any real testing in this area? Got a URL?
07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
(07-29-2009 02:35 PM)Lacyk Wrote:  The second thing is, it keeps harddrive spinning almost continuously 24/7

Maybe i don't really get what you are talking about when you say "somebody connects from the internet to port 21 and gets username/password prompt" and if this case happens often or not but what i can tell is that when i shape my yamj, which is stored on the internal pch hdd, from a home networked pc, it indeed makes the pch hdd to spin up but when i stop to access to the pch the hdd spins down itself moments later, as it does when i access to a webservice for example.
By the way i had to disable the torrent and the ng clients to sort this out.

No More Jesus
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2009 12:44 AM by Sinyk.)
(07-29-2009 07:43 AM)Lacyk Wrote:  Hi guys,
is there a way to prevent internal HD to spin-up when unauthenticated ftp/smb request comes from network in standby mode?

I had a similar problem but solved it by not using the built-in ftp server on the NMT.

What I did was install Cerberus FTP Server (free for home use) on a windows-based computer in my office, set up individual accounts for each of my friends with their own usernames and passwords. Then directed their "root" drive to be z:\ drive (the NMT).

The only things I have to watch for are:
1. ensure the drive is properly shared and accessible from the windows box;
2. the ports on the router are configured to allow the ftp connection through;
3. they all only have upload and download permission (not delete, make dir, edit, or otherwise change anything); and
4. makes sure both the nmt and the windows boxes are powered up and Cerberus is running before I go to bed at night.

I also automated the last using a little proggy that runs in the background of Windows, Z-Cron (also free for home use) and is far better than Windows' built-in scheduler.

This way I allow a select few to access the files on the NMT during my own "downtime" and the internal HDD only spins up when properly authorised peeps access the server.

Cerberus FTP Server: http://www.cerberusftp.com/

Z-Cron for Windows: http://www.z-cron.com/

HTH HAND Smile

[Edit] Actually, I have to clarify that a bit. I've just discovered that the ftp server is not directing through to the Popcorn, but is instead going to a directory on my HDD that I use to pass AV files through to the Popcorn.

NMT: Popcorn A110 with 2Tb Seagate ST2000DL003 internal HDD
TVs: Sony FullHD 46" LCD & NeoniQ FullHD 32" LCD
http://members.iinet.net.au/~spinner
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  just curious how many people leave theres on all the time iamloco724@aol.com 12 2,810 08-05-2010 09:43 PM
Last Post: johnpoz
  [split] SATA 3,5 HD Disk Format error pioneerpilot 1 1,244 10-24-2009 11:04 AM
Last Post: chris57