Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
C-200 unable to play video files from some Canon cameras
09-19-2009, 06:15 PM
RE: C-200 unable to play video files from some Canon cameras
carnahst; keep in mind that if you make a lot of digital videos and photos you probably want to enjoy them many years from now.

A proprietary codec format is less likely to survive over the decades to come, while an open source codec is. I'm not saying it will be so, but the nature of openness tends to give it favor.

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
Find all posts by this user
09-19-2009, 06:37 PM
I hear ya, but for now it's about convenience. Especially for my non technically minded friends and family. Also, when it comes to video, it seems like most formats could be considered proprietary in some form or other. As a test, I converted video's from each of my camera's to MKV. The MKV's I produced, play great in the C-200, but won't play in my QuickTime, Windows Media Player or Picasa.
09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
But in VLC, media player classic and mplayer?

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I should have been more specific. The versions that I am using are:

Windows Media Player v10
QuickTime v7.5.5
Picasa 3

There may be a plug-in for these, but they won't play mkv, out of the box.

Also add, ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre v2.2.6.129, to the list of players that I have that will play my Canon video's but won't play MKV.
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2009 09:50 PM by spawn.)
Every kind of container or codec needs some kind of filter/decoder installed in the computer, lots and lots arent standard
Most certainly not in proprietary players from Microsoft or even worse Apple (Quicktime).
The good thing to say about for instance Windows media player is it use standard directshow, meaning you have an option to install a directshow filter for just about any containter or format available.

Basically theres only a few things you need to know or do when getting your computer ready to play almost anything

1. download and install a decoder/filter that covers most video/audio codecs - for instance ffdshow which is free opensource and covers almost anything
2. download and install a directshow mediasplitter that enables parsing of mkv in directshow players like WMP - Haali mediasplitter the number one mkv splitter

ffdshow http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm
Haali mediasplitter http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Haal...litter.htm

Install these and your windows media player or other directshow based players will play almost any video and audio format available including your mkv's

Living room: C200/A200/A100 HDMI to Pioneer KURO KRP-500A plasma / Denon AVR 3808 / KEF 5005.2 / B&W DM685
Kids room: C200/A110 HDMI to Panasonic 42PZ85, Optical to Logitech Z5500.

PLEASE READ THE WIKI
09-19-2009, 10:59 PM
RE: C-200 unable to play video files from Canon cameras
(09-19-2009 06:32 AM)chris57 Wrote:  The problem is that each m-jpeg is different from the next, a Canon mjpeg is different from say a Panasonic mjpeg which is different from a .......etc.etc.
They are propriatory which is why they come with their own manufacturers tools/software to convert into a standardized format.

Some camera files to play straight off, search the forum for the make/model.

With no codecs installed whatsoever, mjpeg avis from my Nikon D90 will play on vista (with windows media player) with no problem. No tools/software required.

Sounds like this is a non-starter from Werner's comment about the SOC needing to support it. Ok, fine... and i don't know how many cams use mjpeg anyways... i'll live. Sounds like I should convert these anyways, into something more standard...
09-20-2009, 04:32 AM
You can't compare a PC using software to play files to a hardware player. It's like saying my Hummer does it so should your ferrari.
Pc's use software and massive amounts of cpu power and RAM to play files. The C200 uses a dedicated video processing chip.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
09-20-2009, 10:17 AM
(09-20-2009 04:32 AM)chris57 Wrote:  You can't compare a PC using software to play files to a hardware player. It's like saying my Hummer does it so should your ferrari.
Pc's use software and massive amounts of cpu power and RAM to play files. The C200 uses a dedicated video processing chip.

Sure. I didn't compare a PC in this manner - I was responding to the post about PCs needing extra codecs/tools to play mjpeg movies, which isn't true in my case.
09-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Certainly it's in Nikon/Canon/insert any brand's/ interest to have their unique formats available and supported for playback; but preferably as long as they can keep it closed source to make their cam "special". Which they can in DRM happy WMP and QT, so you are still in PC land because the cam manufacturers likely supply Microsoft (and Apple) with what's needed to get things going.

I doubt they give the same kind of support to a small shop like Syabas.

MJPEG is an abolishment, IMHO. As is it requires unnecessary system resources for both playback and storage, apart from their silly uniqueness. The work done in libraries for mplayer, VLC etc. is a lot of re-engineering and creative solutions to still allow those special formats to play anyway.

I have not come across any media extender that plays MJPEG from any (or all) manufacturer(s). Please enlighten me if there exist such a player.

(No, we are not comparing with Windows Media Center/Apple TV which do run WMP/QT or custom *nix XBMC-style htpc with VLC etc. - rather the likes of TViX, WD TVHD, MViX etc. using the Sigma and Realtek chipsets.)

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
09-20-2009, 05:02 PM
You're talking here solely about Photo-cameras with video-options, aren't you? The C-200 plays the videos of my Canon FS10 Camcorder just perfect.
09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
yes thats the point Wink from digital video camcorders it works, we are talking here about Digital Cams for Photography with an option to make videoclips Smile
09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
My canon camera creates Quick Time Clips. I don't have my C200 so. I can't test it yet.
09-20-2009, 05:25 PM
@jpopusa

You can use mediainfo.sf.net to make a report of your clips and post here!

Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi dc11ab,

(09-20-2009 03:38 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  MJPEG is an abolishment, IMHO. As is it requires unnecessary system resources for both playback and storage, apart from their silly uniqueness. The work done in libraries for mplayer, VLC etc. is a lot of re-engineering and creative solutions to still allow those special formats to play anyway.

I have not come across any media extender that plays MJPEG from any (or all) manufacturer(s). Please enlighten me if there exist such a player.

Sure, i'm not arguing with you there - the world doesn't need yet another video format that everyone has to support. I'm not happy that my camera's movies are in a weird not-well-supported format. I don't know of any media extenders/players that can handle the format... my supposition that C200 "should" support mjpeg was never based on "well other extenders do it", only as a "c200 = open source so why not". Werner corrected me here (SOC must support it).

(09-20-2009 03:38 PM)dc11ab Wrote:  Certainly it's in Nikon/Canon/insert any brand's/ interest to have their unique formats available and supported for playback; but preferably as long as they can keep it closed source to make their cam "special". Which they can in DRM happy WMP and QT, so you are still in PC land because the cam manufacturers likely supply Microsoft (and Apple) with what's needed to get things going.

I doubt they give the same kind of support to a small shop like Syabas.

Wait, what? You think that companies want their movies in unique formats? That makes no sense whatsover. A company wants its product to be as usable as possible, and with minimized support cost (imagine calls like "why doesn't my movie play on my ___?"). No way would any camera company intentionally go for a substandard codec. Instead I bet there were strong technical limitations that meant it would have been very difficult/expensive to go with a more standardized format, and they decided that it wasn't worth it. Why would any camera write DRM'd movies?! that's ridiculous, i've never heard of that - how would this benefit anyone at all? that's all sounding a bit paranoid to me. Large companies aren't out to screw the consumer. They're out to make as much money, as fast as possible, and then protect the IP they build up in the process (using amazingly unjust & unethical patent laws, but now I digress)

As far as support from cam companies goes, i'm not sure it's needed: libavcodec (opensource) supports mjpeg. It sounds like the support needs to come from Sigma, as Werner mentioned.
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2009 07:26 PM by werner.)
the reason why mjpeg exist is because as i said the cams are here to make photos, thats the only reason, so to shoot 30 photos/sec with an low resolution is for such an cam easier then recording it in mpeg4 which needs an chip to handle it, also they won't kick there own butt and loose customers who would buy there video cams also Smile. MJPEG was the only way at the beginning to bring video recording at all to Digi Cams, now newer cams switch away and start to use real video formats which are common, also they can sell now again new cams with more functions and so on its the hell circle Big Grin Big Grin

Regards,
Werner
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [MP4] PCH A200 wont resume play after pausing davlet 1 200 04-13-2014 02:27 PM
Last Post: lunker
  [OTHER] Could Not Play! alritegeeza 7 219 04-12-2014 07:01 AM
Last Post: Willem53
  [MKV] Cant't detect/play/read kaowain 6 396 03-28-2014 06:53 PM
Last Post: kaowain
  PCH A200 video and audio are off sync about 0.50 second eugchen 2 196 03-26-2014 06:37 PM
Last Post: eugchen
  Has there been any progress in playing more MOV & mpg files on C200? simonz 0 544 01-13-2014 08:08 AM
Last Post: simonz
  Can't play avi,mkv after fw upgrade. MrJoBe 3 523 01-05-2014 08:21 PM
Last Post: MrJoBe
  Why does the c200 not play .mov files jonny555 7 2,011 01-02-2014 11:30 PM
Last Post: Yusuf
  Burned BluRay's won't play Beck38 1 592 10-16-2013 04:40 PM
Last Post: Beck38
  I cannot see on Picture on the screen when playing video files! cap2587 6 1,005 09-25-2013 01:57 PM
Last Post: cap2587
  BD Folder Intro video loops vinjun7 1 609 09-18-2013 09:37 AM
Last Post: chris57