Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
PlayOn - exercise in pain and frustration
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
PlayOn - exercise in pain and frustration
From PlayOn tech support:
"I believe the PCH has bugs in its discovery logic."

PLEASE fix this or find out exactly what is wrong. When Playon works it works very well. However after watching something successfully it usually reverts back to "No Content Found on Server" even though PlayOn is still listed as a Media Source. At that point it becomes unusable and requires a stop/start on the PC and/or PCH.

PLEASE no more finger pointing - somebody take responsibility for finding out what's wrong!!!
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2009, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2009 11:55 PM by itfchaos.)
RE: PlayOn - exercise in pain and frustration
All of us PCH owners that wish to use playon feel your pain and fustrations.

The popcorn hour is at fault, as playon works fine with anything else I have (Xbox, Wii, etc..). The popcorn hour loses connection to it somehow and as if the playon is no longer there. Have to reboot one or the other in order to have it find it again.

I doubt you will see a fix anytime soon, I purchased both the popcorn hour A110 and Playon cause so many people said it works great together and didn't mention you have to keep rebooting one or the other after every show. It's been a long while now and still no fix. I don't think the PCH people are worried about the A100/110 any more now that the C200 is out. Maybe the PCH people will prove me wrong with a firmware release down the road for the A series but I don't see it being any time soon. I'm thinking about ditching the whole thing and calling it a lose, then get my PC connected to my TV and then I can watch what I want like I do now on my PC.

All of the above may sound negative to PCH but I do like the A110 when it comes to playing movies, it does that exceptionally well. For example DVD rips, etc.. all play fine. You can't get any better than that, and honestly that is what the PCH was mainly designed to do.
09-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks for commiserating and your honest assessment.

It's just so close to being perfect - that's why it's also so frustrating. Oh well, we're getting a wii too so I'll try Playon with that also...

(09-29-2009 11:54 PM)itfchaos Wrote:  All of us PCH owners that wish to use playon feel your pain and fustrations.

The popcorn hour is at fault, as playon works fine with anything else I have (Xbox, Wii, etc..). The popcorn hour loses connection to it somehow and as if the playon is no longer there. Have to reboot one or the other in order to have it find it again.

I doubt you will see a fix anytime soon, I purchased both the popcorn hour A110 and Playon cause so many people said it works great together and didn't mention you have to keep rebooting one or the other after every show. It's been a long while now and still no fix. I don't think the PCH people are worried about the A100/110 any more now that the C200 is out. Maybe the PCH people will prove me wrong with a firmware release down the road for the A series but I don't see it being any time soon. I'm thinking about ditching the whole thing and calling it a lose, then get my PC connected to my TV and then I can watch what I want like I do now on my PC.

All of the above may sound negative to PCH but I do like the A110 when it comes to playing movies, it does that exceptionally well. For example DVD rips, etc.. all play fine. You can't get any better than that, and honestly that is what the PCH was mainly designed to do.
10-03-2009, 03:19 AM
You may not like the play back of the playon to the Wii, while it works excellent, the video is really poor quality that it is almost not watchable. I think playon is blaming it on the Wii's low end power. I think Playon may be lying about this though, as I have seen video play exceptionally well over a Wii off a disk (like DVD on a hacked Wii with a program to play DVD). I have also seen video from game disk play better than what the video of Playon plays to the Wii. So based on that, I think Playon could improve the play back and make it better, time will tell.
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, just from what I read the other day, it has to be transcoded to FLV with the Wii so they're already taking a compressed file and changing it to another format - not surprising about the quality. PS3 and xbox I guess don't have this problem??
(10-03-2009 03:19 AM)itfchaos Wrote:  You may not like the play back of the playon to the Wii, while it works excellent, the video is really poor quality that it is almost not watchable. I think playon is blaming it on the Wii's low end power. I think Playon may be lying about this though, as I have seen video play exceptionally well over a Wii off a disk (like DVD on a hacked Wii with a program to play DVD). I have also seen video from game disk play better than what the video of Playon plays to the Wii. So based on that, I think Playon could improve the play back and make it better, time will tell.
10-11-2009, 08:10 AM
(09-29-2009 11:54 PM)itfchaos Wrote:  I doubt you will see a fix anytime soon, I purchased both the popcorn hour A110 and Playon cause so many people said it works great together and didn't mention you have to keep rebooting one or the other after every show. It's been a long while now and still no fix. I don't think the PCH people are worried about the A100/110 any more now that the C200 is out. Maybe the PCH people will prove me wrong with a firmware release down the road for the A series but I don't see it being any time soon.

PlayOn and C-200 don't work together AT ALL, complete fail. I am now using the 360 for PlayOn which is better now that I am running ethernet to the 360.

Popcorn Hour C-200 wired into Linksys WRT610N with 50 ft CAT-6 and displayed 720p 60 Hz via HDMI onto a 42" HP LCD. Anime series watcher, YAMJ user, PlayOn user, MSP user. Externally managed torrents, running FTP and Samba server.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2009, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2009 09:07 AM by jamiesbeck.)
its funny to be reading the same things a half year later.

i was yelled at for demanding playon 6 months ago.

i got a new free trial from playon this week so i thought, hey what the heck! i havent touched that cactus in a while! i installed the new playon and upgraded my firmware on my phc100 rebooted everything 15 times and STILL havent been able to watch something via hulu.

POPCORN HOUR STOPPED EVERYTHING TO WORK ON THE WII... and it sucks still. ITS TIME TO SELL. they are dragging feet i believe.

i watched attack of the show (tuesday i believe) and they had a NMT that did everything the pch did for half the price ...AND it played HULU/playon!!!

NETWORK BUFFERING DEVICE
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Playon & Netflix in the UK ted34 0 1,336 05-04-2013 02:06 PM
Last Post: ted34
  C-200 and PlayOn fix with newest beta mjmacky 41 16,659 03-08-2013 04:49 PM
Last Post: william2652001
  Accessing Playon software on PCH C200 fails! cap2587 22 4,762 11-19-2012 07:24 PM
Last Post: cap2587
  Help! - Problems accessing PlayOn via Popcorn d3mot 0 1,665 08-31-2011 02:58 PM
Last Post: d3mot
  A-200 and Playon astepp 0 1,467 06-19-2011 04:00 AM
Last Post: astepp
  PlayOn works just sometimes... mezza550 1 1,667 06-13-2011 04:25 AM
Last Post: accident
  Playon rolandj 1 2,126 06-03-2011 05:49 AM
Last Post: mishmash
  how-to for playon and A110 romdawg 0 1,268 05-04-2011 09:16 AM
Last Post: romdawg
  Does Playon Work with c-200 and January Firmware? jw11 20 8,471 02-11-2011 07:59 AM
Last Post: genies08
  Weird Playon issue on A-110 and IO Box str1der 22 7,766 01-09-2011 04:21 AM
Last Post: emveepee