Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
The BMW vs Audi Thread
11-19-2009, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009 05:39 PM by Bazrah.)
The BMW vs Audi Thread
Hey there NMT land.

I've got an A4 Avant now - not too flashy but a little small now that the family has expanded somewhat!

So, the age-old debate ensues about what to replace it with. I've liked the Audi - it's done 85k miles with no issues at all and has proved relatively cheap to run.

The shortlist really comes down to a 5 series Touring or A6 Avant. Probably 530d M Sport Touring vs A6 Avant 3.0Tdi S-Line quattro. I'm open to some left-field suggestions though. I do about 25k miles per year, lots of motorway driving but like a B-road blast now and then. Needs to take 2 adults and 2 young kids with luggage for a week away.

Having said that, the wife's going to have the A4 for a while so if I get a roofbox for that maybe I can get away with something other than an estate. Needs to be a 4 door though to get the kids in and out.

Discuss Smile
Find all posts by this user
11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
RE: The BMW vs Audi Thread
XF Jag?

E Class merc?

Although I would have the BM personally.

Samsung PS51d8000, Onkyo 509, Tannoy EFX5.1, Xbox 360, Popcornhour C200, Sky+HD, Wii, Harmony one
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009 05:49 PM by McOrmick.)
I've got a 2006 (not 2007; car just had its first APK / MOT test) A8L (3.0 liter diesel, chip-tuned). Perfect for long trips to Germany and the Eastern countries I have business operations with.

Never had any issues except for condensation in the right tail light. It's done 150k kilometers and is still running like it did the day I bought it. I think I'll drive it till it breaks down. If I were to sell it now and not add any of our savings, I can only buy a new Golf Tongue

Cannot think of a better car than what I have right now (that I can afford). So, all I'm saying, I'd stay with Audi. It gets you home safely and has lots of comfort.

2 x NMT PCH C-200
2 x NMT PCH A-110 (80GB internal HDD) with 3 x Samsung Spinpoint HD103UJ 1TB over USB (Sharkoon Quickports DUO & PRO)
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009 05:49 PM by Bazrah.)
I do like the look of the XF but it has a small boot and for some reason I think it's a little flashy. I'm more of a fan of the understated Q-car approach normally.

New E-class looks good on the outside but the cabin looks pants.

Probably should mention that I'll buy one about a year to two years old, which counts the new E-Class out.
(11-19-2009 05:45 PM)McOrmick Wrote:  I've got a 2007 A8L (3.0 liter diesel, chip-tuned). Perfect for long trips to Germany and the Eastern countries I have business operations with.

Never had any issues except for condensation in the right tail light. It's done 150k kilometers and is still running like it did the day I bought it. I think I'll drive it till it breaks down. If I were to sell it now and not add any of our savings, I can only buy a new Golf Tongue

Cannot think of a better car than what I have right now (that I can afford). So, all I'm saying, I'd stay with Audi. It gets you home safely and has lots of comfort.

Do you find the A8 okay to manoeveur around town? It seems like a big fella to me. Running costs might be an issue too as it's not the most efficient engine, especially comapred to the BMW diesels. What mpg do you get on a motorway run (which engine is it?)
11-19-2009, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2009 06:01 PM by McOrmick.)
(11-19-2009 05:46 PM)Bazrah Wrote:  Do you find the A8 okay to manoeveur around town? It seems like a big fella to me. Running costs might be an issue too as it's not the most efficient engine, especially comapred to the BMW diesels. What mpg do you get on a motorway run (which engine is it?)

Amsterdam is a bitch, I'll give you that, esp. parking garages. Sometimes I have all tires on the curve...

Mpg is very decent for such a car, esp when you drive the allowed maximums. You can then do 1100 kilometers on one tank (80L).

When driving around 180kph (and all the breaking and acceleration consequently resulting from it) you can do around 880 kilometers on an 80L tank.

I've got the 3.0Liter TDI quattro (chip-tuned @ 265 bhp)

2 x NMT PCH C-200
2 x NMT PCH A-110 (80GB internal HDD) with 3 x Samsung Spinpoint HD103UJ 1TB over USB (Sharkoon Quickports DUO & PRO)
11-20-2009, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 01:04 PM by Suge_K.)
Im a bit of an Audi fanboy...theres not much they make that i wouldnt drive....Ive got a 2008 Audi TT Coupe and love it, the S-tronic gearbox is sublime and on 19s it looks stunning.... Big Grin

If i needed a car for similar circumstances as you, new i would go for the new S4 or possibly the A6 3.0D - but the looks are a bit meh, it doesnt have the subtle Q-car styling (ok so its not meant to). The new E350D is a beast, friend of mine had one. 18 months old, well the old E-class is still a great buy, never touch a jag - they are full of old tech, Lexus have no identity, Saab dont make anything big enough...I do like the current 5 Series, although i have a thing about old models and its being replaced in 2010...A6 done!

Given how Beemers nose dive in value and Audis hold theirs, Beemer is always going to be more attractive second hand however...I think the Beemer is dynamically better too so you might get a better drive from it...can only recommend a dual clutch manual gearbox setup - its the way forward and really gives you the best of both worlds....

535 is supposed to be pretty close to M5 performance...not quite obviously but you get the added economy...

S

Gone but not forgotten: - PCH A110
PCH C200
PCH A200

+ WD 1.5TB Caviar Green Internal
+ 3x WD 1.5TB CG Internals in ICYBOX enclosure
+ 1x WD 1TB Caviar Green Internal
+ 2x 1TB WD MyBook
+ 1x Samsung 1.5tb F2 Spinpoint
11-20-2009, 02:40 PM
(11-20-2009 01:03 PM)Suge_K Wrote:  Im a bit of an Audi fanboy...theres not much they make that i wouldnt drive....Ive got a 2008 Audi TT Coupe and love it, the S-tronic gearbox is sublime and on 19s it looks stunning.... Big Grin

If i needed a car for similar circumstances as you, new i would go for the new S4 or possibly the A6 3.0D - but the looks are a bit meh, it doesnt have the subtle Q-car styling (ok so its not meant to). The new E350D is a beast, friend of mine had one. 18 months old, well the old E-class is still a great buy, never touch a jag - they are full of old tech, Lexus have no identity, Saab dont make anything big enough...I do like the current 5 Series, although i have a thing about old models and its being replaced in 2010...A6 done!

Given how Beemers nose dive in value and Audis hold theirs, Beemer is always going to be more attractive second hand however...I think the Beemer is dynamically better too so you might get a better drive from it...can only recommend a dual clutch manual gearbox setup - its the way forward and really gives you the best of both worlds....

535 is supposed to be pretty close to M5 performance...not quite obviously but you get the added economy...

S

A 535d would be tempting if I could find one at the right price - they're like rocking horse poo!
11-20-2009, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 02:47 PM by Hairy Hippy.)
Side by side new, they're almost identical in price for the models plus the extras I'd want, in fact the BM comes out a whole £15 cheaper, bargain!

Fuel Comsumption - The BM has it.
CO2 emissions - The BM has it.
Acceleration - The BM squeeks it.
Top speed - The same.
Torque - The BM has it.
HP - The A6 just.
Boot space - The A6 has more.

On those, which again imo are the important ones, the BMW shades it. That said, the only real way you'll decide. TEST DRIVE them, preferably on the same day within a couple of hours of each other.

Sorry just realised I was comparing the 530d SE not the 530 M Sport...
11-20-2009, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 02:57 PM by Bazrah.)
Yeah, a round of test-drives is in my future Big Grin

I've heard both the BMW m sport and Audi S-line criticized for their ride quality tho - the BMW on run flats and the Audis have hard suspension normally anyway, so a run on a motorway is a must.

Must admit I prefer the A6 cabin and like the idea of quattro, but the BMW exterior and engine (power/consumption). I've also driven a few rear-wheel drive cars and like the feel.

An extra dimension then is whether quattro is worth it? I live in a semi-rural area so plenty of small country roads which don't get gritted in winter. Will the BMW rear-wheel-drive be a liability?
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
How about this, it's a little far off topic, but stay with me.

Octavia VRS TDI

&

A westfield style weekend car

Octavia = Audi anyway, with slightly worse build quality.

Samsung PS51d8000, Onkyo 509, Tannoy EFX5.1, Xbox 360, Popcornhour C200, Sky+HD, Wii, Harmony one
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 03:06 PM by Hairy Hippy.)
(11-20-2009 02:57 PM)Bazrah Wrote:  I've heard both the BMW m sport and Audi S-line criticized for their ride quality tho - the BMW on run flats and the Audis have hard suspension normally anyway, so a run on a motorway is a must.

Do you need the M Sport, would have thought the SE is a more comfortable ride? I don't know but just a thought..

(11-20-2009 02:57 PM)Bazrah Wrote:  Must admit I prefer the A6 cabin and like the idea of quattro, but the BMW exterior and engine (power/consumption). I've also driven a few rear-wheel drive cars and like the feel.

On the appearance, only you can decided that. We'll all have different opinons (thanks to whoever your idol is today Wink ). The quattro, after what you say below would probably be a better option...

(11-20-2009 02:57 PM)Bazrah Wrote:  An extra dimension then is whether quattro is worth it? I live in a semi-rural area so plenty of small country roads which don't get gritted in winter. Will the BMW rear-wheel-drive be a liability?

Winter tyres?
(11-20-2009 03:02 PM)daniel_owen_uk Wrote:  How about this, it's a little far off topic, but stay with me.

Octavia VRS TDI

Almost mentioned Skoda myself (I currently have an Octavia and love it) but it's no where near as big as the A6 or 5 series. If you go for an Octavia, you might as well stick with a A4, in terms of size comparisons.

(11-20-2009 03:02 PM)daniel_owen_uk Wrote:  Octavia = Audi anyway, with slightly worse build quality.

But the reliability is better. The parts they use in Skodas are second gen VW (inc Audi). In otherwords, the put the lastest in the Audis and VWs, which will have faults. Once they've ironed out the faults, they stick 'em in Skodas.
11-20-2009, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 03:09 PM by Bazrah.)
(11-20-2009 03:02 PM)daniel_owen_uk Wrote:  How about this, it's a little far off topic, but stay with me.

Octavia VRS TDI

&

A westfield style weekend car

Octavia = Audi anyway, with slightly worse build quality.

Thought about that as a left-field, but maybe a bit small. The new Superb estate might be worth a look tho
@Hairy Hippy

Oddly we don't seem to go in for winter tires in England. Not sure why.

Even with winter tires would rwd be a bit lairy?
11-20-2009, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 03:30 PM by Hairy Hippy.)
(11-20-2009 03:08 PM)Bazrah Wrote:  Thought about that as a left-field, but maybe a bit small. The new Superb estate might be worth a look tho

Oh a Superb estate.... Now in terms of value, that win hands down and will probably be bigger than both the A6 or 5 Series. The salon Superb is just huge in the back. With the missus driving (ok she's only 5' 2"), and sat behind the driver, it feels like a limo, I could sit legs easily flat out (but I'm only 5' 10").

About time they started making one of these, was the only reason why I bought the Octavia over the Superb in the first place.

(11-20-2009 03:08 PM)Bazrah Wrote:  Oddly we don't seem to go in for winter tires in England. Not sure why.

Even with winter tires would rwd be a bit lairy?

Still wouldn't be as good as quattro I don't think but would be heaps better than not using them.
11-20-2009, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2009 03:34 PM by Bazrah.)
Quattro does add to the consumption day to day tho, so trying to weight up if it's worth it for the few weeks of the year of ice and snow. One of those things that when you need it, you need it I suppose!

Only really had fwd up till now
(11-20-2009 03:02 PM)Hairy Hippy Wrote:  Do you need the M Sport, would have thought the SE is a more comfortable ride? I don't know but just a thought..

I hear you - an SE would seem to make more sense but I like the sports seats as I find them more supportive. That goes for both the BMW and Audi.

They both look better in sport guide too, but I suppose I shouldn't be too hung up on that ! Cool
11-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Quattro will 'save yo punk ass' in the wet....you can keep pushing on with a massively reduced risk of wheelspin and if you get into trouble in a corner, its far easier to regain grip and power out....always go for quattro when its available...basically fwd does not like winter weather....quattro simply doesnt care either way! That said, if you respect it RWD is very rewarding and you will have to go some to get it in trouble....its a big ol car...RWD in a Cayman S....thats a bit different Wink

Sounds like the Skoda would be too small for you...Skoda and Seat do use second gen, but it also means you dont get the latest tech....its why id always go for Audi over Seat....

M-Sport looks better and sport suspension will mean more fun in the twisties...id be surprised if the ride was too harsh but it depends what you're coming from....my car has adaptive suspension (and can be stiffend up at the touch of a button too) and its fine - and im running 19s on super low profiles....

S

Gone but not forgotten: - PCH A110
PCH C200
PCH A200

+ WD 1.5TB Caviar Green Internal
+ 3x WD 1.5TB CG Internals in ICYBOX enclosure
+ 1x WD 1TB Caviar Green Internal
+ 2x 1TB WD MyBook
+ 1x Samsung 1.5tb F2 Spinpoint
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dropbox referral thread lewis26 18 11,295 05-15-2013 03:30 PM
Last Post: hetfield
  You are not allowed to add URLs into your post or thread. EvigFrost 4 7,234 03-03-2013 07:40 PM
Last Post: davelindsay
  [split] [Discussion] A-400 Thread OT posts muller_jean 22 5,521 10-18-2012 04:56 PM
Last Post: wryker
  The 3D film thread Bazrah 10 3,407 10-12-2010 08:32 AM
Last Post: toto1er_
  As a comment, to my orginal thread nuke12 7 2,491 07-09-2010 09:32 PM
Last Post: nuke12
  Double notification mails on thread reply mr-b 7 3,079 02-25-2010 12:37 PM
Last Post: mr-b
  The Christmas Present Thread Bazrah 76 21,668 12-22-2009 05:57 PM
Last Post: Bazrah
  thread yshenkm 1 1,265 11-02-2009 05:54 PM
Last Post: sTyLeS
  Anonymous networkedmediatank.com-o-holics meeting thread OwL 33 6,980 10-22-2009 10:40 PM
Last Post: kukhuvud
  The show off thread spawn 29 6,508 08-29-2009 10:47 AM
Last Post: daniel_owen_uk