Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Frequent lockups
11-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Frequent lockups
Hello All,

I received my shiny new C-200 a couple days ago. I love the features of it, except for one: frequent lock ups. The unit does not respond to any button, not even the power button. Only turning the switch in the back off then on brings the box back to life.

I installed a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1500GB hard drive in it. Formatted it with the NMT to ext3. It works well, except for when I try to copy large files to it through the network, the entire box locks up hard after 10-20 minutes. This hard drive works well in my Linux computer. I tried connecting to the C-200 using nfs from a Linux box, SAMBA from a Windows box, makes no difference. Do you guys have similar problems or did I get a defective unit?

I have a few more issues, but this is the most pressing.
Find all posts by this user
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
RE: Frequent lockups
(11-28-2009 12:41 AM)cloverm Wrote:  Hello All,

I received my shiny new C-200 a couple days ago. I love the features of it, except for one: frequent lock ups. The unit does not respond to any button, not even the power button. Only turning the switch in the back off then on brings the box back to life.

I installed a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1500GB hard drive in it. Formatted it with the NMT to ext3. It works well, except for when I try to copy large files to it through the network, the entire box locks up hard after 10-20 minutes. This hard drive works well in my Linux computer. I tried connecting to the C-200 using nfs from a Linux box, SAMBA from a Windows box, makes no difference. Do you guys have similar problems or did I get a defective unit?

I'm not sure if this is useful info or not.. but I have had a few of the Seagate Barracuda's and they seem to be very hot and power hungry drives. Not sure if this drive is causing some sort of brownout of the system power, but its something to consider.

Can you see if the problem occurs with another drive in there.

I have just had too many problems with the seagate barracuda drives... I had a 750GB one in my MVIX Ultio and started having power issues until it was removed.

Popcorn Hour C-200 (02-02-100118-19-POP-408-000)
NMT Apps Version (02-01-100119-19-POP-408)
Internal 500GB Drive (WD5000BEVT)
Video connected to 1080P Projector via HDMI (Viewsonic PRO8100)
Audio connected to Yamaha Receiver via Optical SPDIF (HTR-5930)
11-28-2009, 08:32 PM
(11-28-2009 04:29 PM)RchGrav Wrote:  I'm not sure if this is useful info or not.. but I have had a few of the Seagate Barracuda's and they seem to be very hot and power hungry drives. Not sure if this drive is causing some sort of brownout of the system power, but its something to consider.

Can you see if the problem occurs with another drive in there.

I have just had too many problems with the seagate barracuda drives... I had a 750GB one in my MVIX Ultio and started having power issues until it was removed.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try another hard drive. But like I said, the drive works fine in my Linux box.
11-28-2009, 08:58 PM
(11-28-2009 08:32 PM)cloverm Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try another hard drive. But like I said, the drive works fine in my Linux box.
probably a much more advanced distro than the linux in the PCH... and of course all that dedicated PC hardware also helps...

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
11-29-2009, 06:50 AM
I too find the PCH can be a tad tempremental....

Occasionally, it will lock up while FTPing files (100MB as 1GB is bugged and hangs immediately).

Occasionally will hang while transferring files or using the menus for a few seconds, then will be OK again.

Sometimes while playing a file, it will lock dead, full stop !

Occasionally, it will power on, attempt to boot and hang before the LCD & HDMI are enabled.

I too have a Seagate Barracuda in mine, but I've caught it locking up even when the drive is cold, so I don't think the heat from the drive is the only reason. There appears to be more of an issue with the firmware or PCH hardware, though if the unit gets warm, mine will hang for definite while playing HD as I believe the heatsink on the Sigma chip isn't big enough, so would strongly suggest adding a fan in the empty slot.
11-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Even more random issues today....

While watching an AVI, the unit simply rebooted itself! When to play the same AVI and it would play, but not skip (despite being OK earlier on). Tried other files and it hung with the "Buffering.." message.

Power the unit off and on again and all was now fine, even with the AVI which was playing when it rebooted.

This is without a doubt, the most unstable piece of kit I've owned. A great unit, which I'm becoming more and more upset with due to it's issues and instability. I've had to warn several friends off purchasing one as they've witnessed the problems when they came round.

These have to be sorted it or the C-200 sales will dry up as these issues become common knowledge to future purchasers.
12-03-2009, 01:31 AM
(11-28-2009 12:41 AM)cloverm Wrote:  I Formatted it with the NMT to ext3. It works well, except for when I try to copy large files to it through the network, the entire box locks up hard after 10-20 minutes

I had the same thing going while transferring files on my gigabit network.
What I had to do to get it stable, was to set both the PCH and the transferring pc' nic to 10/100 full duplex.
I tried with setting upload limits but to no success.

Really hope this is high up on the bug fixings todo list. 8MB/s transfer speed is all kinds of slow these days.
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I tried a different hard drive, a Samsung that is in the compatibility list, made no difference. Tried the suggestion of setting the network adapter to 10/100 instead of auto and that seems to have made a lot of difference, no more lockups, but the network speed is now limited.

This unit is loudly advertised for it's Gigabit Ethernet connectivity, but is it useless?
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
(12-07-2009 09:34 PM)cloverm Wrote:  I tried a different hard drive, a Samsung that is in the compatibility list, made no difference. Tried the suggestion of setting the network adapter to 10/100 instead of auto and that seems to have made a lot of difference, no more lockups, but the network speed is now limited.

This unit is loudly advertised for it's Gigabit Ethernet connectivity, but is it useless?

Yes, it will be slow for copying files to and from the unit, but as far as streaming videos, even full bitrate Blu-Ray rips the 10/100 is actually fast enough. Setting the NIC to auto introduces too many problems in the current firmware. Wait until you hear that they have worked these driver issues out. Glad to hear it wasn't your drive.

Rich

Popcorn Hour C-200 (02-02-100118-19-POP-408-000)
NMT Apps Version (02-01-100119-19-POP-408)
Internal 500GB Drive (WD5000BEVT)
Video connected to 1080P Projector via HDMI (Viewsonic PRO8100)
Audio connected to Yamaha Receiver via Optical SPDIF (HTR-5930)
01-05-2010, 10:26 AM
(11-28-2009 12:41 AM)cloverm Wrote:  Hello All,

i have exactly the same configuration, same hard drive with the latest fw installed.
frequent lockup even if i dont transfer anything : the pch hung and i must shut it down and reboot to use it again.
dont have any other drive to test through.
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Changing drives didn't help much, so I attempted to put a 100MB switch in to isolate the C-200 from the 1GB switch. Helped a tiny-bit. The unit still locks up randomly while playing back files. Strangely though, it will respond to the power-off command and no other command.

A hideously unstable piece of kit Huh
01-10-2010, 10:54 AM
still the same problem after upgrading to the last firmware
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Damn! I've just upgraded too. Sad

Spoke to Syabas support who said it had been listed as an official bug on the bugs page, but despite going all the way through it, I can't see it anywhere.
So, either I've missed it or they are lying.

For the time being, I'm running everything off an external USB drive. Sad
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
ok so just to let people know, i have finally test what i doesnt want to, as to put the pop corn on 10/100 instead of the auto settings.
speed is less good, but....pop corn doesnt hung anymore.
too bad i bought a C200 JUST for the giga, and that it doesnt work properly :/
02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
(01-10-2010 06:18 PM)shadowrom Wrote:  ok so just to let people know, i have finally test what i doesnt want to, as to put the pop corn on 10/100 instead of the auto settings.
speed is less good, but....pop corn doesnt hung anymore.
too bad i bought a C200 JUST for the giga, and that it doesnt work properly :/

hello
same issue :

Runing latest firewall (febuary 2010)
All option set to factory default
(network on auto )
gigabite switch used
drive installed is a Western Digital Caviar Green S-ATA - 1000 Go - 32 Mo
(low consuption drive )

Samba service activated .

when i m transferring somes files , using the smb's share , in the box , on the drive installed in the box , after several time (around an half ) , the entire box hang , and doesn't reply to ping , or others .
i will try to change network from Auto to 10/100 setting
and i bought a C200 JUST for the giga too !!

regards
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Frequent crashes with A-200 while streaming from PC Winne 8 2,134 09-29-2010 09:04 AM
Last Post: darkmantis