Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
DVB-S Support (streaming using DVBDream)
04-30-2008, 04:55 AM
DVB-S Support (streaming using DVBDream)
Quicky explaination: DVB stands for Digital Video Brodcast. It is a set of standards used to broadcast over Satellite, Cable, and Terrestrial. In most parts of the world you can receive satellite TV using a Free-To-Air box (FTA). In north America a few providers use DVB-S to brodcast: DishNetwork in the USA and Bell ExpressVu in Canada. You can purchase a DVB card or USB tuner to directly connect the Satellite dish, Cable or Antenna. There many software packages to tune/decode/watch/PVR streams from these cards. DVBDream is an advanced software package (which is free) and supports most tuners. It also has streaming capabilities (UDP not HTTP).

I know it would take ALOT of work to directly add a digital DVB tuner and it wouldn't be that useful in North America without a softcam (software that emulates a Satellite Access card) so why not interface DVBDream.

I would really like to see a GUI that can control DVBDream. I know that there are ways to watch a live stream from a DVB source but a no hassel GUI would be awesome.

Wish List:
Channel Change -
OSD - On screen display
EPG - receive and display
Recording to Local Harddrive - both PVR like functionality and Schedule future recordings from EPG

Who's with me? DVBDream extender! It would be worth it to puchase a popcorn hour just to get this hassel free feature.
Find all posts by this user
04-30-2008, 06:07 AM

There's no need to pick a specific app to interface with. All Syabas has to do is give us the ability to write apps that intercept remote control events during media playback and the community will provide...
04-30-2008, 06:29 PM

I know its not DVBDream, but there is a full popcorn hour client for GB-PVR, which supports DVB cards and softcams. You can schedule recordings, watch recordings, watch live tv, change channels etc.
04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
GB-PVR
I tried GB-PVR and I do like the app but the DVB-S support seemed to be lacking plus it a pain in the ass to setup especially for DVB-S and softcams (which aren't natively supported btw).

In addition there is no parsing of ExpressVu/Dishnet 9 day EPG you have to setup a account with web based EPG and map the 500 channels to the respective satellite channels. No thank you.

So after a weekend of trying to get it running I gave up and went back to DVBDream. I can install and scan and be watching in 20 mins with EPG. Did I mention it's Free! My twinhan 1020a really doesn't play nice with BDA drivers and the DVBDream supports so many more cards (even the Skywalker for HD content on Dishnet.

I've been watching DVB-S with a PCI card for many years and have tried most of the apps out there. I've even purchased MyTheater and TS Reader. I can honestly say DVBDream it at the very top of my list. Unfortunately it will only stream using the UDP protocol which the Popcorn hour doesn't accept. Any suggestion how to convert UDP stream to http (or someting the Popcorn hour accepts)?

Quote:There's no need to pick a specific app to interface with. All Syabas has to do is give us the ability to write apps that intercept remote control events during media playback and the community will provide...

I couldn't agree more. It would be really simple to write a front end for this or any other app. I'd even give it a shot!

BTW I have a full ExpressVu subscription.
04-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Re: GB-PVR
tweebs Wrote:In addition there is no parsing of ExpressVu/Dishnet 9 day EPG you have to setup a account with web based EPG and map the 500 channels to the respective satellite channels. No thank you.
The current GB-PVR release works better with BEV than it did in thas past. People have been using it with the 4 day and 9 day EPG. Admittedly the 4 day EPG seems to be more reliable in GB-PVR than the 9 day EPG.

With this EPG working there is no need to do the channel mapping you found painful.

I understand though, if GB-PVR is not for you thats ok. Just thought I'd mention it though, since the GB-PVR's compatibility with the PCH is worlds better than anything you'd find in any other DVB app.
05-02-2008, 12:06 AM

I guess it's time to give GB-PVR another shot. I hope I can get the BDA drivers for my Twinhan 1020a working. It took hours of forum jumping just to get the drivers installed last time. GB-PVR reconized the card but still didn't find any Channels. Wish me luck. It's amazing how fast GB-PVR update come out. yikes!
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Re: GB-PVR
tweebs Wrote:I tried GB-PVR and I do like the app but the DVB-S support seemed to be lacking plus it a pain in the ass to setup especially for DVB-S and softcams (which aren't natively supported btw).

In addition there is no parsing of ExpressVu/Dishnet 9 day EPG you have to setup a account with web based EPG and map the 500 channels to the respective satellite channels. No thank you.

So after a weekend of trying to get it running I gave up and went back to DVBDream. I can install and scan and be watching in 20 mins with EPG. Did I mention it's Free! My twinhan 1020a really doesn't play nice with BDA drivers and the DVBDream supports so many more cards (even the Skywalker for HD content on Dishnet.

I've been watching DVB-S with a PCI card for many years and have tried most of the apps out there. I've even purchased MyTheater and TS Reader. I can honestly say DVBDream it at the very top of my list. Unfortunately it will only stream using the UDP protocol which the Popcorn hour doesn't accept. Any suggestion how to convert UDP stream to http (or someting the Popcorn hour accepts)?

Quote:There's no need to pick a specific app to interface with. All Syabas has to do is give us the ability to write apps that intercept remote control events during media playback and the community will provide...

I couldn't agree more. It would be really simple to write a front end for this or any other app. I'd even give it a shot!

BTW I have a full ExpressVu subscription.

I use dvbdream with my PH, using llink as an intermediary to convert the udp to tcp. Search on the user generated apps forum for details. I too tried gb-pvr and gave up on it. OTOH, channel changing is a huge pain with DD, takes 30s to tune to a new channel, and there is no EPG.
05-17-2008, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion sugatam. I didn't realize llink would convert udp to tcp (I haven't tried it yet).

I'm going to attempt writing some sort of EPG web interface when I get some time
05-31-2008, 08:01 PM

I just read the latest Beta firmware will provide support for UDP multicast streaming at the kernel level. I'm not sure exactly what will be required to allow the PH to accept the UDP multicast stream from DVBDream (or any other DVB streaming app) but I'm hopeful.

I'm willing to offer $50 USD (or Canadian if it's worth more at the time) to the first person to who develops some sort of interface to DVBDream. Channel changing and Recording start/stop required. A complete EPG with PVR funtionality would be nice!
07-02-2008, 01:06 AM

I have been using dvbdream for years and recently bought a pCH- I can see SD recordings on the PCH (in TS/mpg format but HD recording show up as a blank (tried usb 2.0 drive and streaming). How are you managing to view in HD?
12-17-2008, 02:27 AM
RE: DVB-S Support (streaming using DVBDream)
Anything new with this thread in past few months? I am interested in streaming HD DVD Dream content to PCH. Is llink the way to go? Thanks.
12-17-2008, 08:49 PM
RE:
(05-17-2008 08:14 PM)tweebs Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestion sugatam. I didn't realize llink would convert udp to tcp (I haven't tried it yet).

Try UDP-TO-HTTP proxy.
prox - for windows - http://borpas.info/util#prox
udpxy - for linux - http://sourceforge.net/projects/udpxy/

See also topic - http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...ight=udpxy
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Advanced SubStation Alpha (ASS) subtitle support forsaken 202 69,630 09-16-2011 01:50 PM
Last Post: Dave_D
  request for support of multiple srt subtitles files poppierre 204 91,627 09-16-2011 09:31 AM
Last Post: bakkman
  Voddler support Snuffsis 22 14,472 07-28-2011 09:17 AM
Last Post: Dragonlove
  [Feature] WN-150 Support BrainStormer 0 1,564 07-22-2011 05:50 PM
Last Post: BrainStormer
  [Feature] SMB v2 support ksaipas 2 2,357 07-21-2011 11:02 PM
Last Post: ksaipas
  [Feature] DTS HD MA Support with MKV Container on A-110 ptitoliv 1 2,035 07-10-2011 04:02 PM
Last Post: jj666
  Request: Bookmark/resume support for DVD ISO/VIDEO_TS lilman 0 1,746 04-28-2011 11:28 PM
Last Post: lilman
  [A-100] HE-AAC Support sblueeye 23 5,622 01-16-2011 06:13 PM
Last Post: emveepee
  [A-110] NTFS write support does not work 01-17-101217-15-POP-403-000 abm4 1 1,904 01-03-2011 06:58 PM
Last Post: fasc
  A-110 Streaming Issue.. Need Help!!!! Chrisx510 1 1,277 12-12-2010 04:40 PM
Last Post: dbone1026