Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Poll: Was the installation succesful?
This poll is closed.
Yup, everything is working fine. 57.45% 27 57.45%
No, but I fixed it. 4.26% 2 4.26%
No, it's broken :-( 14.89% 7 14.89%
I don't know how to install MPD. 23.40% 11 23.40%
Total 47 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music Player Daemon (MPD) 2010-04-04 v0.15.9
04-04-2010, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 11:02 PM by shadowcode.)
Music Player Daemon (MPD) 2010-04-04 v0.15.9

Hello all,

I've finally gotten around to compile, test and package 0.15.9.
These will NOT work on the C200 or A200 (or any other 200 series. ONLY on the 100 series).
Please refer to the 200 series forum for more information.

Download:
  1. Main Location (preferred):
    1. MPD 0.15.9 modified for NMT
    2. MPDAudioOutputPlugin by AlanH

2. Alternative Location:
    1. MPD 0.15.9 modified for NMT
    2. MPDAudioOutputPlugin by AlanH

About
This is MPD version 0.15.9 modified for the NMT and CSI support, check the changelog here
The following features were enabled:
  • LAME mp3 encoder
  • Ogg Vorbis encoder
  • AAC support
  • FFMPEG support
  • FLAC support
  • MAD mp3 decoder support
  • MP4 support
  • Musepack (MPC) support
  • OggFLAC support
  • Ogg Vorbis support with Tremor
  • lastfm radio support
  • libcurl support (streaming)
  • libmms support
  • ID3 tag support
  • libsamplerate support
  • libcue support

Installation Instructions
Once enough people confirmed that the packages are working as expected (I need 5 replies, at least) I'll ask somebody to host them so that they appear in the CSI package browser. Until then, the only way to install MPD is through the "Manual Package Installation" instructions below.

Manual Package Installation
  1. You may want to make a backup of your existing MPD folder if you have one!!!
  2. Download both zip files.
  3. Open the Community Package Installer
  4. If you have a previous version of MPD & MPDAudioPlugin installed, uninstall them in the Community Software Installer.
  5. Click FIle -> Install From File and install "MPD.zip" first.
  6. Follow the instructions on screen.
  7. When finished, click File->Install From File again and install the MPDAudioPlugin.zip, this will only work if MPD.zip was installed first.
  8. Follow the instructions on-screen. This could take up to 30 seconds (since sometimes MPD doesn't want to quit nicely).
  9. Now connect to the mediatank using an MPD client.
  10. Let me know if it works and if I missed any steps.

Known Issues
  • It seems that TelnetD or Dropbear must be installed (or anything else that installs busybox) prior to installing MPD/MPDAudioPlugin. I'm not absolutely sure about this, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. If anyone runs into problems with MPDAudioPlugin not installing properly and you have the expertise to debug this, please do.
  • At the time of writing, there is an old version of MPD on the Community Installer. This is version 20090222 and unfortunately this package conflicts with the new version. Do not update MPD using the update tab, as it'll downgrade instead of upgrade Smile.
  • If you install only the MPD package you will have no audible audio output!! You need to install the MPDAudioPlugin as well! (read the instructions carefully).
  • USB-output support probably isn't included in this version of MPD.
  • For some people the MPDAudioPlugin will not install properly. Try reinstalling MPD and the MPDAudioPlugin. Or move your pre-existing MPD installation to another location and then reinstall the packages. Alternatively try stopping MPD using the Community Software Installer and then install the MPDAudioPlugin. If you're tech savy, please collect debug information and post your findings here, it helps a great deal because I can't reproduce the issues.

Source
Code was built from:
MPD 0.15.9 from http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_Wiki, with the following patch applied.Which was derived from:
  • http://www.alanlee.org/mpd-nmt/mpd-20091001.tgz
  • http://www.alanlee.org/mpd-nmt/mpd-smp86xx_plugin-20091001.tgz

Uh oh, it doesn't work!
Bugger. I need the following files from you;
  • /share/Apps/mpd/.daemonresult
  • /share/Apps/mpdAudioPlugin/.setupresult
  • /share/Apps/mpd/var/log/mpd
  • Code:
    http://mediatank:9999/mpd/log.txt
    (replace 'mediatank' with whatever your mediatank IP is)

I recommend using http://pastebin.com/ to dump the logs.

Okay, and now for some tech info;

Compiled with:
Code:
--with-faad --enable-mad --with-libOggFLAC  --enable-lastfm --enable-mms --enable-ffmpeg  --enable-shout
Flags:
Code:
-O3 -ffast-math -march=mips32r2 -mtune=mips32r2

Config output:
Code:
########### MPD CONFIGURATION ############

Client Support:
IPv6 support ..................enabled
TCP support ...................enabled
Unix domain socket support ....enabled

Playback Support:
ALSA support ..................disabled
FIFO support ..................enabled
HTTP daemon support ...........enabled
JACK support ..................disabled
libao support .................disabled
OSS support ...................enabled
OS X support ..................disabled
Pipeline output support .......disabled
PulseAudio support ............disabled
Media MVP support .............disabled
SHOUTcast support .............enabled
Solaris /dev/audio support ....disabled

Streaming Encoder Support:
LAME mp3 encoder ..............enabled
Ogg Vorbis encoder ............enabled

File Format Support:
AAC support ...................enabled
C64 SID support ...............disabled
FFMPEG support ................enabled
FLAC support ..................enabled
fluidsynth MIDI support .......disabled
MikMod support ................disabled
MODPLUG support ...............disabled
MAD mp3 decoder support .......enabled
MP4 support ...................enabled
Musepack (MPC) support ........enabled
OggFLAC support ...............enabled(FLAC 1.1.3)
Ogg Vorbis support ............enabled
   using tremor.................yes
Wave file support .............disabled
WavPack support ...............disabled
wildmidi MIDI support .........disabled

Archive support:
BZ2 archives support ..........disabled
ISO 9660 archives support .....disabled
ZIP archives support ..........disabled

Streaming support:
last.fm radio support .........enabled
libcurl support (streaming) ...enabled
libmms support ................enabled

Other features:
ID3 tag support ...............enabled
libsamplerate support .........enabled
Zeroconf support ..............disabled
libcue support ................enabled

##########################################

What MPD is saying:
Code:
@mediatank mpd# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=lib bin/mpd -v -V
mpd (MPD: Music Player Daemon) 0.15.9

Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Warren Dukes <warren.dukes@gmail.com>
Copyright (C) 2008 Max Kellermann <max@duempel.org>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Supported decoders:

[mad] mp3 mp2
[vorbis] ogg oga
[oggflac] ogg oga
[flac] flac
[faad] aac
[mp4] m4a mp4
[mpcdec] mpc
[ffmpeg] 16sv 3g2 3gp 4xm 8svx aa3 aac ac3 afc aif aifc aiff al alaw amr anim apc ape asf atrac au aud avi avm2 avs bap bfi c93 cak cin cmv cpk daud dct divx dts dv dvd dxa eac3 film flac flc fli fll flx flv g726 gsm gxf iss m1v m2v m2t m2ts m4a m4v mad mj2 mjpeg mjpg mka mkv mlp mm mmf mov mp+ mp1 mp2 mp3 mp4 mpc mpeg mpg mpga mpp mpu mve mvi mxf nc nsv nut nuv oga ogm ogv ogx oma ogg omg psp pva qcp qt r3d ra ram rl2 rm rmvb roq rpl rvc shn smk snd sol son spx str swf tgi tgq tgv thp ts tsp tta xa xvid uv uv2 vb vid vob voc vp6 vmd wav wma wmv wsaud wsvga wv wve

Supported outputs:

shout null fifo oss httpd

Supported protocols:

file:// http:// lastfm:// mms:// mmsh:// mmst:// mmsu://

#########################################################################

Log:
Accessible at http://mediatank:9999/mpd/log.txt
Obviously replace 'mediatank' with your mediatank IP or hostname.

Thoughts:
  • FFMPEG seems too slow in some cases. Some internet radio streams would stutter. Not sure if ffmpeg can be configured differently, didn't spot any interesting options.
  • Also, I'm not sure what the effect is of compiling MPD with ffmpeg.. is it now funneling everything through ffmpeg? Including, for example, FLAC?
  • Should we register a sourceforge project for our MPD mod?

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users say Thank You to shadowcode for this post
04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
RE: Music Player Daemon (MPD) 2010-04-04 v0.15.9
looks great! im gonna give it a test.

does this have last.fm support? can i play streams from last.fm with it?
04-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Installing both packages mpd says at startup "Environment variables MPD_HOST and/or MPD_PORT not set", while port is set in the config and MPD_HOST is not part of the config file.

Further I noticed that the plugin is not installed in the default location mpd/plugins but somewhere outside the mpd-directory structure.

I also noticed that the daemon.sh was changed from the version that AlanH made (sleeps were added, several other lines were removed, different log-location was added)

I reverted back to the version that AlanH made originaly.

-
aleg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PCH A100 (Stable firmware), 250GB 2.5"" WD Caviar-PATA,
Connected to Pioneer KRL32V at HDMI 1080p60/50/24,
Ubuntu Server NAS,
Naim DAC + XPS-2,
mpd + iPod with mPod
04-04-2010, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2010 06:14 PM by shadowcode.)
(04-04-2010 05:51 PM)mercenary Wrote:  looks great! im gonna give it a test.

does this have last.fm support? can i play streams from last.fm with it?
Yup. Start with the step #4 here
(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  Installing both packages mpd says at startup "Environment variables MPD_HOST and/or MPD_PORT not set", while port is set in the config and MPD_HOST is not part of the config file.
What startup? Iirc that's MPC-ird complaining, not MPD, and usually due mpc not being able to connect yet. I noticed that if you give it some time (hence the sleep) it connects fine. This is probably only an issue if you want ir support, of which I'm not even sure if that still works (or who even developed it).

(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  Further I noticed that the plugin is not installed in the default location mpd/plugins but somewhere outside the mpd-directory structure.
There is no default location at all. In fact, we can't distribute the plugin and MPD together, hence the two packages. The MPDAudioOutput plugin (presumably the other location you mention merely copies the plugin file to the plugin folder on install). If for some reason your plugin file was missing in the plugin folder after installation, something went wrong with your installation but I do not know what. Got the logs for me?

(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  I also noticed that the daemon.sh was changed from the version that AlanH made (sleeps were added, several other lines were removed, different log-location was added)

I reverted back to the version that AlanH made originaly.
That is correct. Mind that these are the same scripts as the previous package, though.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to shadowcode for this post
04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
just installed , work great with few tests - thanks for this package

- i even have the problem , with my 2 libraries - music and music_test which couldn't be added both in config file - so i do always stop and start with new config and database , not too difficult, but i should remember each time with what database and library i'm playing

again great
04-04-2010, 07:51 PM
(04-04-2010 07:09 PM)jluc2808 Wrote:  just installed , work great with few tests - thanks for this package

- i even have the problem , with my 2 libraries - music and music_test which couldn't be added both in config file - so i do always stop and start with new config and database , not too difficult, but i should remember each time with what database and library i'm playing

again great

Remind me again of what you were trying to accomplish? Do you want one single database with both music and music_test? Or do you actually want two seperate databases?
04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
First I installed on top of the previous version. It didn't appear to pickup the previous database, even though it was still there. Maybe if I'd just been a bit more patient it would have..
But I wasn't: uninstalled, rebooted, installed from scratch, ran top to check while it was rebuilding the database, everything's fine now.
04-04-2010, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2010 09:26 PM by jluc2808.)
(04-04-2010 07:51 PM)shadowcode Wrote:  Remind me again of what you were trying to accomplish? Do you want one single database with both music and music_test? Or do you actually want two seperate databases?
i would like one single database with both music and music_test inside, because of the path i couldn't use links, the skin which use this feature know the real path not the links, and second problme is that a lot of album are the same , artist/album/song are misunderstanded as same and doesn't create a new entry in the database
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2010 09:52 PM by avanegmond.)
(04-04-2010 06:06 PM)shadowcode Wrote:  
(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  Installing both packages mpd says at startup "Environment variables MPD_HOST and/or MPD_PORT not set", while port is set in the config and MPD_HOST is not part of the config file.
What startup? Iirc that's MPC-ird complaining, not MPD, and usually due mpc not being able to connect yet. I noticed that if you give it some time (hence the sleep) it connects fine. This is probably only an issue if you want ir support, of which I'm not even sure if that still works (or who even developed it).

This my log:
Code:
Client mpc already installed...
Starting mpd...
Starting Remote control for MPD...
mkdir: cannot create directory '/share/Apps/AppInit/websites/mpd': File exists
MPD_HOST and/or MPD_PORT environment variables are not set
error: timeout in attempting to get a response from "localhost" on port 6600

mpd is running and responding though, so I don't know what the error is about. It is just that with the original AlanH-version I never got this error.
EDIT: after restarting a few times I no longer get this error, but only the following remark shows
Code:
Starting mpd...
Maybe it is possible to test for the existence of this directory before trying to create it again?

If you want to get rid of the Update popup from CSI, change the version number in appinfo.json to something larger then 20090922. I changed it into 20100404 and now it remains quiet.

(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  Further I noticed that the plugin is not installed in the default location mpd/plugins but somewhere outside the mpd-directory structure.
Quote:There is no default location at all. In fact, we can't distribute the plugin and MPD together, hence the two packages. The MPDAudioOutput plugin (presumably the other location you mention merely copies the plugin file to the plugin folder on install). If for some reason your plugin file was missing in the plugin folder after installation, something went wrong with your installation but I do not know what. Got the logs for me?

It is part of your install procedure.
Within the mpd-directory structure there is a subdirectory called plugins. It seemed more logical to me to keep the audioplugin also within the mpd-directory structure instead of outside of it.

Quote:That is correct. Mind that these are the same scripts as the previous package, though.

I always used the AlanH original version to install the mpd for NMT.

I also noticed that the mpd was installed as root. I can't remember if the AlanH version was also installed as root.
But I had to change the permissions of the directories and files to be able to make local copies of config-files and to be able to put back a backup copy of my database.

-
aleg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PCH A100 (Stable firmware), 250GB 2.5"" WD Caviar-PATA,
Connected to Pioneer KRL32V at HDMI 1080p60/50/24,
Ubuntu Server NAS,
Naim DAC + XPS-2,
mpd + iPod with mPod
04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
(04-04-2010 09:48 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  mpd is running and responding though, so I don't know what the error is about. It is just that with the original AlanH-version I never got this error.
EDIT: after restarting a few times I no longer get this error, but only the following remark shows
Code:
Starting mpd...
Maybe it is possible to test for the existence of this directory before trying to create it again?
Yup, actually, I'd probably just redirect the error output to /dev/null instead. Added the log symlink last-minute in case people run into problems and don't know how to access the MPD log.

(04-04-2010 09:48 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  If you want to get rid of the Update popup from CSI, change the version number in appinfo.json to something larger then 20090922. I changed it into 20100404 and now it remains quiet.
The problem is that when the package goes live, then it will probably hide or replace the existing MPD package. I think that some people are still using that due to the USB support. I might rename this package to MPDNMT or something.

(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  It is part of your install procedure.
Within the mpd-directory structure there is a subdirectory called plugins. It seemed more logical to me to keep the audioplugin also within the mpd-directory structure instead of outside of it.
This is working as intended. As I said we can't distribute a single package with both MPD and the audio plugin, nor can we force a CSI package to install to a specific folder. In fact, what the plugin package does is simply copy the output plugin, so you should have two copies of the plugin on your nmt harddisk; one in the outputplugin dir and one in the mpd/plugins dir.

(04-04-2010 05:57 PM)avanegmond Wrote:  I always used the AlanH original version to install the mpd for NMT.

I also noticed that the mpd was installed as root. I can't remember if the AlanH version was also installed as root.
But I had to change the permissions of the directories and files to be able to make local copies of config-files and to be able to put back a backup copy of my database.
All apps are started as root so all files that MPD create are also created as owned by root. Somehow CSI or the FTP server chowns the file to the nmt user. I noticed that other apps seem to happily chmod all files to 0777. Might do the same next time.
04-04-2010, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 08:36 AM by benzo.)
Wink RE: Music Player Daemon (MPD) 2010-04-04 v0.15.9
Installed manually :
- rename my old mpd directory
- decompress archive mpd in directory Apps/mpd
- decompress plugins in Apps/mpd/plugins directory and copy mpd.conf in Apps/etc
- create empty Apps/mpd/database files
- copy my old playlist in playlists directory
- add export MPD_HOST=localhost; export MPD_PORT=6600 in daemon.sh

and it works ... with all internet radios ... Yessss !

For CSI, I think it'll be easier to have only one package with mpd + plugins.

Is it possible to enable playing .dts files ?
04-05-2010, 09:46 AM
It worked directly by following your instructions!

Thanks a lot man!
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
last.fm support upiii Smile
does anyone know if music info from last.fm is showed by mpd ?

about other playbacks ...
will i be able to play http/mms streams like this one ?

thanks for all your effort!
Smile
04-05-2010, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 01:55 PM by awdkoers.)
Thank you for this. It rocks!Big Grin
1. Deinstalled previous version using CSI
2. Installed the 2 packages using CSi
3. Used MPDJB frontend to play my mp3 and flac collection on my internal harddisk.

I do not know what the differences are, i think some bug fixes, and solved memory leaks.
In the previous version the songs started a bit distorted, that seems to be fixed.

I'll have a look experimenting crossfading & volume balancing. I noticed in previous version the PCH will get quite hot, manipulating these settings. That's because of the slow CPU i guess.

Thanks,
Alex

Configuration:
  • PCH A110
  • TV: PHILIPS 32PFL9604H/12
  • HDD internal: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB, format: EXT3
  • Video output: HDMI, 1080p60
  • Firmware version: latest firmware and apps
  • Wired network: CAT5E

04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Music RE: Music Player Daemon (MPD) 2010-04-04 v0.15.9
Hi,

thanks a lot for your effort Tongue

well, i've got some good and some bad news. The Installation went flawlessly using your instructions, except that there's still that old annoying version of mpd around in the csi repository you mentioned, which is presented as an update.

The problem with hdmi audio initialization is still there. I need to play something using the internal player before using mpd or connect my AV receiver via SPDIF in addition to hdmi.
Mp3 and flac playback work fine as they did before. Ogg files do get indexed now and show up in the database yipppiee Smile (they didn't before).

But: Playback of ogg files is stuttering heavily and sounds a bit like in slow motion. So still no Ogg support for me Sad
I noticed a very high cpu usage of one of the mpd processes running during ogg playback, like 90% or even more. When playing mp3s, cpu usage is only 12 to 15%.
Seems like my poor little hdx box ist somewhat overloaded with mpd/ogg. Is there anything i could do to get ogg files working? I *can* play ogg using the internal player, with all its disadvantages, but this isn't what most of us mpd users might want to do.

MP3/4 and flac users will be happy with this new version i think.

cheers,

Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Music player minion connection problems webkocken 6 4,890 09-24-2013 12:18 AM
Last Post: glorifyday
Rainbow Music Player Daemon (MPD) - v0.16.2 shadowcode 124 53,554 09-23-2013 01:11 AM
Last Post: glorifyday
  Music Browser for NMT - Updated August, 2nd, 2011 gkreidl 14 11,011 01-19-2013 04:07 PM
Last Post: winfried_laane
  Is it possible to code a HULU player for the A-110? mulderfox 0 1,128 01-05-2013 11:11 AM
Last Post: mulderfox
  Any music jukebox that syncs with itunes? superflysocal 0 1,395 07-04-2012 02:57 PM
Last Post: superflysocal
  Stream music to the popcornhour snakeboots 1 3,136 08-30-2011 02:56 PM
Last Post: minio
  Disable amule daemon drunkendonkey 0 1,832 02-04-2011 12:33 AM
Last Post: drunkendonkey
  music player daemon MPD & PCH Remote control beatnut88 19 11,980 12-22-2010 12:31 AM
Last Post: dooly
  Music Player Daemon (MPD) 2009-10-01 Re-Release alanh 290 139,014 04-24-2010 07:20 AM
Last Post: avanegmond
  monoLite - Alternative NMT Player for TS files wizziwig 72 27,968 04-15-2010 11:08 AM
Last Post: gtdaqua