Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
readynas units flying down in price...
07-28-2010, 06:21 AM
readynas units flying down in price...
If your considering readynas nas appliances, check the sales going on.. basically there is a new ULTRA model about to ship which is intel atom based.. but the one thing I always liked about readynas is they don't ship stupid priced items.. the atoms are cheaper to make so these new faster models are lower cost then their current models..

Because they are lower cost, today everything seemed to plunge down about 30-40% lower...

I recommend the new ultra models (4 and 6) if your budget allows, I think they are 500 and 800 without drives. The second best choice would be the nvx and pro which are the same as 4 and 6 but using the celeron cpu instead of the faster atom cpus.. I would avoid the nv+, it is somewhat slower and better to go WHS if its a budget thing..

Disclaimer: I have 2 readynas units and a WHS. the WHS will grow better with all different types of drives and externals but the readynas units for the 5 years I've used them have been rock solid
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 02:31 PM by Specter.)
RE: readynas units flying down in price...
yawn Undecided!

why do they even bother. 500 and 800? if that means $500 and $800 thats the price of a 4 bay WHS that comes with at least 1TB drive and the cost of an additional 1TB drive.

They should just throw in the towel and call it a day. NAS units are on their way out and a Intel Atom processor cannot save them.

They claim good gigabit speeds but i bet those speeds are only obtainable when using RAID0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822122047

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822122032

PCH A-200 16GB USB -> HDMI -> Samsung LN46A650 | A200 -> Toslink -> Logitech Z-5500 (Harmony 700)
PCH C-200 8GB USB -> HDMI -> Sharp LC46D64U (Harmony 550)
Eversion Whisper eskin + WHS V1 (25TB Q6600/4GB RAM ) -> Mediasonic HR82-SU3S2 (Backup)
D-Link DNS 323 for sale
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 10:14 PM by accident.)
There's not 1 correct statement in your post.

EDITED by accident: I misread the first post, this statement is wrong...
07-28-2010, 02:30 PM
(07-28-2010 01:33 PM)accident Wrote:  There's not 1 correct statement in your post.

Well then what are you talking about? you provided no links to such said products at a price that seems reasonable and no clear price information on these products that have taken a 30%-40% plunge. If it is the products ive linked then i hate to see what the prices were before.

So links Huh

PCH A-200 16GB USB -> HDMI -> Samsung LN46A650 | A200 -> Toslink -> Logitech Z-5500 (Harmony 700)
Eversion Whisper eskin + WHS V1 (25TB Q6600/4GB RAM ) -> Mediasonic HR82-SU3S2 (Backup)
D-Link DNS 323 for sale
07-28-2010, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 03:02 PM by Adam1v.)
(07-28-2010 12:27 PM)Specter Wrote:  NAS units are on their way out and a Intel Atom processor cannot save them.

How so?
They are still alot easier to manage, maintain then any other 'server' or windows based operating system.
07-28-2010, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 10:14 PM by accident.)
my statement was incorrect and those links were accurate, they are 2 of the models recently dropping in price..
07-28-2010, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 04:26 PM by Specter.)
(07-28-2010 03:02 PM)Adam1v Wrote:  How so?
They are still alot easier to manage, maintain then any other 'server' or windows based operating system.

Its all down to user preference, and price vs performance. When you calculate the price of a 4 bay NAS without drives VS a prebuilt 4 bay WHS that comes with at least a 750GB drive the price difference is insane, so insane that you can buy a 2TB drive with the price difference. Not to mention that almost everything the NAS can do the WHS can do plus more since its basically Windows Server 2003 which is the downfall because its Windows and unless its got protection someone is bound to infect it sooner or later.

Now the 2 bay NAS enclosures are a good buy but write speeds are too horrible in this day and age to even glance at kind of like buying a CRT TV over a LCD TV because its cheaper in 2009, and write speeds are like copying over USB when writing to them, to slow for multiple access from multiple users.

There are topics on this forum that covers the whole WHS vs NAS thing which is a good read, but then it all comes down to your preference.

(07-28-2010 03:44 PM)accident Wrote:  my statement was incorrect and those links were accurate, they are 2 of the models recently dropping in price..

I would love to have a constructive discussion on any topic and I'll just leave the rest of the post as your technical knowledge on the subject is very elementary and incomplete.

If that price gets some ones attention they will immediately turn away once they see that the MIR to get that final price is a prepaid VISA/Master credit card, something that has many users turning away from Netgear products that offer MIR. Cool

D-Link DNS 323 for sale
07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
so its your job to convince people to ignore it? can't they make up their mind..
07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I can see your point Specter but not to the extent that you have taken it. NAS's and WHS's both have their place in the market, just because WHS's have gained ground in the home market doesn't mean they have in every market. As all these devices start using Atom CPU's instead of SOC solutions it will start coming down to software and who can do it best. WHS is a nice solution for some, but integrating it in certain environments can be a PITA as can any Windows OS.

IMHO if you are building a home file server these days its open source DIY all the way no matter how much experience you have. Its that easy to build an unraid, openfiler, freenas, ect system these days even for a novice.

The Man Cave My Library
Yamaha RX-V663, C-200, EMP, Mordaunt Short 506's, HSU VTF2 MK3
07-28-2010, 05:17 PM
(07-28-2010 05:07 PM)krazypoloc Wrote:  IMHO if you are building a home file server these days its open source DIY all the way no matter how much experience you have. Its that easy to build an unraid, openfiler, freenas, ect system these days even for a novice.

I pretty much agree. A cheap Intel Atom board, a multi-SATA controller card and one of the open source systems (I really like what freenas is doing), can make a pretty nice box. It won't be as fast as a desktop dual core board but many don't need that extra speed. I also think the NAS boxes will be around for sometime. Different strokes, for different folks.

C-200, A-110 both playing from a DIY Linux Raid 5 server.

Remuxes, Captures and Transcodes done on a desktop running;
Win7, Intel i7 hexacore processor with 24 GB ram, WD VR OS drive and a WD Black 2 TB data drive.
07-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I personally get on the fence when it comes to which way I want to do...

1: my nas units have been 100%, flawless and nothing I need to do to them so its a nice break from real life when I jsut want the damn movie to play but you pay for that. the size units I need are mid-business models so they are usually bundled with expensive licensed protocols and features like server grade backup solutions and iscsi.. but those also offer some really nice experiences with the units

2: I don't really want to build my own box, I'm kind of past that part in my life and when you add it up, those solutions aren't always cheaper than a whs and nobody is making a nice case for low powered central storage.. its either desktop or big honking server cases..

3: WHS is a nice product in the house and if you buy smart, you'll get a nice unit.. BUT its not efficient on storage when you want to "protect" the data from drive failure but it does expand with drives really nice. some of the added software you should put on it aren't all that cheap and if you really keep it maintained and as fast as it can run it does get near the price of a raid unit. (although I get a lot of that software for free to test it out for them)..

It's a hard call, I'm probably going to pick up the new ULTRA-6 unit but I won't be the first to buy it.. the pro and nvx are rock solid really fast units that work well with different sized drives so if you are going the nas route you might want to stop and rethink the brand. (btw, I HATE netgear but I've used readynas before netgear purchased them).. oh their support is cheap too, I think it cost me $40 for 3 years priority advanced repalcement on my nas units..
07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
(07-28-2010 04:33 PM)accident Wrote:  so its your job to convince people to ignore it? can't they make up their mind..

No, not at all, i just like to give customers a heads up in a area where i have experience issues to know once the money is spent it will not be all sunshine and rainbows. I see this all the time on review sites where they do a build or mention a product then unsuspecting readers go out any get the product thinking its great because someone with high technical knowledge mentioned it then when they get it and something goes wrong they blame everything under the sun except their lack of knowledge

(07-28-2010 05:07 PM)krazypoloc Wrote:  I can see your point Specter but not to the extent that you have taken it. NAS's and WHS's both have their place in the market, just because WHS's have gained ground in the home market doesn't mean they have in every market. As all these devices start using Atom CPU's instead of SOC solutions it will start coming down to software and who can do it best. WHS is a nice solution for some, but integrating it in certain environments can be a PITA as can any Windows OS.

IMHO if you are building a home file server these days its open source DIY all the way no matter how much experience you have. Its that easy to build an unraid, openfiler, freenas, ect system these days even for a novice.

Understood, but what extent are you talking about? My comment was based on off the shelf right out of the box cost VS performance. NAS do have a place in the market but its not really for average home users, more for small business. Also i agree that DYI is the way to go but the OP was for an off the shelf product where the price dropped 30%-40% then when i searched for these products i see that the prices are still too high for what the end user will get.

Basically what im getting at is the price is still too high to be considered, not to mention it involves a rebate from Netgear. There are few companies out there where i trust MIR and Netgear is not one, when they rejected me for $10 on my last GS605 switch i took a loss. Its only $10 but knowing that, will someone trust them to send back $100 and $200?

D-Link DNS 323 for sale
07-28-2010, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 08:28 PM by nuke12.)
Look at it guys. I think everyone in this thread has valid points. I truly think it's up to the end user to do the proper research to discover what meets their needs and skills. It also depends (somewhat) on the type of network, the user has. Something no one in this thread has mentioned is power usage. It seems it's not as big an issue with NA users but seems to be a really big deal with our EU friends.

I think WHS, NAS, DAS and DIY will all be around for some time. I only hope that anyone that gets into this, does not do it blindfolded. What ever system, it's not cheap and most of us really like the biggest of the hard drives. Smile

C-200, A-110 both playing from a DIY Linux Raid 5 server.

Remuxes, Captures and Transcodes done on a desktop running;
Win7, Intel i7 hexacore processor with 24 GB ram, WD VR OS drive and a WD Black 2 TB data drive.
07-28-2010, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2010 10:15 PM by accident.)
This message removed by accident, it was incorrect and I misread something.
07-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Wait you read my posts and thats the final outcome that you put together.........

You posted saying the units are falling in price with no links to said products, I was curious about the products and 2 seconds on google showed me these products don't seem like they fell in price anywhere.

I respond why do NAS bother because here is another off the shelf product that can do the same at less of the cost, posted links to the products i thought you were talking about and you responded with a 1 line response that just begged more questions.

I asked more questions you respond with

Quote:my statement was incorrect and those links were accurate, they are 2 of the models recently dropping in price..

I would love to have a constructive discussion on any topic and I'll just leave the rest of the post as your technical knowledge on the subject is very elementary and incomplete.

I completely ignored the last part of your comment which was clearly an insult to my technical knowledge and joked about the price and you take defense like i insulted your honor or have done you some great wrong.

After responding to other posts you conclude that because i had a $10 rebate issue i hate Netgear? Read my posts on here, when ever someone asks for a recommendations for a switch i always recommend a Netgear GS605 or a Netgear GS608. I don't have a issue with Netgear because Netgear do not even handle the MIR a third party company does and i still continue to buy Netgear products. The latest being a Netgear ReadyNas NV+ for an office to be used as a simple RAID 5 file server i wouldn't have to worry about 5 years from now because it will never be filled.

Quote:Also, you obviously have no respect for me or you wouldn't be protecting the forums because I like using a specific product... I don't walk around telling people what to buy or not buy, I like to use personal experiences with products, I go out of my way to make sure people know when I am talking about something I have never used... If I ever do recommend a product I make a very long winded why I use a specific product and still don't make a recommendation to get it..

I never told anyone do not buy it, I posted my thoughts on the topic at hand and you took defense like i raided your home.

Also even to this very post i have not even threw back 1 insult to the multiple insults you threw my way, not one.

This is the Internet, you expect to post something and not be challenged to why its being posted. Then when your challenged take defense instead of providing additional details to back up your original statement.

Huh

D-Link DNS 323 for sale
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A300, ReadyNAS Duo and NMJ - Please Help - Before I Crazy! talhun69 11 2,261 04-28-2012 06:46 AM
Last Post: talhun69
  Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ on C-300 VirtualPanther 10 3,477 03-31-2012 11:04 AM
Last Post: davexyz
  ReadyNas NV+ and ISO bjorne83 6 1,611 01-24-2012 04:14 PM
Last Post: dc11ab
  Read only error message - Readynas problem? paulvk 2 2,259 09-25-2011 09:43 AM
Last Post: paulvk
  SMB works but not NFS to Readynas NV+ dragonlord76 2 3,221 11-07-2010 12:23 PM
Last Post: Gunserotti
Sad ReadyNas NV+ and ISO files RickInHouston 33 9,781 09-01-2010 01:37 AM
Last Post: accident
  readynas (x86) products now support 4K drives accident 0 1,642 07-11-2010 03:59 PM
Last Post: accident
  Q-NAP 459 Pro or Netgear ReadyNAS NVX? stryker412 5 2,959 06-26-2010 06:30 AM
Last Post: stryker412
  Playing ISOs from ReadyNAS dchall1 1 1,206 03-20-2010 06:50 PM
Last Post: vvk17
  Cannot Stream ISOs from ReadyNAS NV+ to egreat M34A bigmots 0 1,366 01-11-2010 06:38 PM
Last Post: bigmots