Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Frustrated
09-25-2010, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2010 10:20 AM by mike_bike_kite.)
Frustrated
Well I just got my PCH a200 and now I'm frustrated as hell!!!
No manual at all but that shouldn't matter cause I'm a computer guy and there's the wiki, right? Wrong!

Connected it up using a scart to 3*phono sockets - I'm certain I've got the connections wrong as the screen effect is horrible (looks a bit like home computers in the 1980's before colour). Is there a settings page for UK PAL and a rough idea of what I should connect to what.

My first attempt was to format the HDD but I can't do that without installing firmware/nmt apps etc. To do that I need to have the firmware on USB. Got that. Sat there for an age until it came back saying there was a problem (bad format or something) sadly it was 1am and knackered. The file was there, I unzipped it into the base directory of the USB stick (I also left the zip there as well). No issue downloading etc.

This morning I figured I'll have a shot at wifi using the standard usb wifi dongle and install from there. Ethernet gives you a choice of 10/100 or auto - setting to auto gets ignored and it switches to 10/100 (this might be correct but I have no idea).

I tried setting up a manual ip for wireless - it seemed to forget the ip settings the moment I hit save. I pressed save everytime I changed anything. A one point it saw my network put when I selected it it seemed to do nothing and I still had to type in the SSID.

It doesn't connect. Most of the time it refuses to even see the network. I only really need to do this so I can update the firmware. Sadly I don't want to even update the firmware but I have to do this to format the drive.

The drive is currently showing on the menu, even though it said the install had problems so I figured lets try and load up some films etc. I connected it to my PC using the cable at the back and had to turn it on with the remote. My PC couldn't see it. I turned it off via the remote and connected it via the rear cable. Nothing. I suspect the fact that the remote still controlled it means that it's not acting as a slave etc.

I was hoping to have a moderately large media collection installed and now I'm feeling a bit miffed. It's also a right pain entering codes repeatidly because it seems to forget them the moment I hit save.

The bad connection to the tv doesn't help but I guess that's me having no idea of the settings and the wires being badly connected.

I did read the manual twice before setting up - this took approx 30 secs and seems to be missing just about everything! Did I mention I'm a bit frustrated.

A200 Firmware 03-04-120807-21-POP411-000
NMT Version 03-04-111220-21-POP-411
+ 1 TB + Wifi
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2010, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2010 10:39 AM by chris57.)
RE: Frustrated
Right you have bought one of the best HD media players. Then you connect it using the poorest connection available, composite and also through a SCART adapter. Please, please , please look at your TV and find that it has some other connection, preferably HDMI but if not then component (red/green/blue) is better. All on the WIKI:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...stallation

Dont know if you missed it but there is a C200 manual, see the big green banner and the link!!
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=34851
99% of it applies to the A200.

As far as installing the NMT Apps you do NOT need a USB stick. Again see the WIKI and use online:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...s_Updating
Firmware updating should be done first and again you do NOT need a USB stick or even a HDD to do that.

If you are using WiFi then you cannot get gigabit (Auto) and that is why you cannot select it. Here's a WIKI page on setting up WiFi on the 200 series:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...200_Series
WiFi via USB dongle is poor for transfer/streaming.

Try not to be so negative as just about everything you have said or done has been down to your lack of understanding and making incorrect assumptions. We expect that as fellow owners and realise that it is a learning curve so you'll need your fellow owners to help you get the max out of the C200 and also additional user apps, jukeboxes etc. People are more willing to help someone who asks with good grace, so although frustrated as you may feel a quick post asking for help could save you time.

The WIKI had the answers to all of your queries.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
Find all posts by this user
09-25-2010, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2010 11:30 AM by mike_bike_kite.)
(09-25-2010 10:38 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Try not to be so negative as just about everything you have said or done has been down to your lack of understanding and making incorrect assumptions. We expect that as fellow owners and realise that it is a learning curve so you'll need your fellow owners to help you get the max out of the C200 and also additional user apps, jukeboxes etc. People are more willing to help someone who asks with good grace, so although frustrated as you may feel a quick post asking for help could save you time.
I understand it's a great media player but I just couldn't get it to do anything. I fully understand it's due to my own lack of knowledge but I could literally get nothing working right. It's extremely frustrating. I'm about to go up North for 24 hours so I won't be able to try more until late sun afternoon. I has honestly hoping to just leave the machine transferring files while I was away. All I really need is the media on the HDD and the rest I can do when I'm back in Switzerland on Mon afternoon but I get a feeling I'll be going back with no media at all - I guess I'll be able to spend lot's of time trying to work out these menus and getting the connections correct for whatever the tv's out there use.
Quote:Firmware updating should be done first and again you do NOT need a USB stick or even a HDD to do that.
I believe it can be done by wifi as well but that didn't go to well Smile

Quote:WiFi via USB dongle is poor for transfer/streaming.
I don't want to do eiter - I really just want to be able to get to a stage where I can start the transfer of media to the HDD.

My mistake when using USB-slave mode was using the standard USB connection at the back rather than the smaller squarer connection next to it. The computer initially set it had found the hardware. I installed the recommended driver (using the exe on an XP machine). Can't see it at all at the moment via the my computer screen. The driver software can see it but suggests that the disk is full ie 956GB used but it could be I'm not reading it correct.

+ 1 TB + Wifi
09-25-2010, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2010 12:08 PM by cheaper_popcorn.)
Could you please check if the hard drive is an EARS model? (Your link does not mention the exact model name but it will say on the label of the hard disk).

If it is, that may be the reason your formatting did not work. There is a special thread in the forum dedicated to EARS drive formatting. I will see if I can dig it up for you.

In general, don't use WiFi for now, troubleshoot that later. WiFi connections can be hairy and are prone to interference.

This is the thread for EARS drives. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=5052

If you find out your drive is an EARS, try to read there for instructions of what to do. I am sure the people there will help you if there is something in the instructions given that is not clear to you.

Based on your first post it seems your firmware install was successful, but your attempt to install the NMT applications and format your drive was unsuccessful. Is this correctly understood?

Media tank:A-100 & C-200
TV:Panasonic TH-50PY800MT (HDMI)
Audio:Logitech Z-5500 (Coaxial)
09-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I think the 200's have in lot in common with the electronic edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and ought to adopt the practice of using the words "DON'T PANIC!" in big friendly letters, on the cover of the manual (when it goes into printing in December 2012.)

wikipedia Wrote:DON'T PANIC is a phrase written on the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The novel explains that this was partly because the device "looked insanely complicated" to operate, and partly to keep intergalactic travelers from panicking. It is said that despite its many glaring (and occasionally fatal) inaccuracies, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy itself has outsold the Encyclopedia Galactica because it is slightly cheaper, and because it has the words "Don't Panic" in large, friendly letters on the cover.

Arthur C. Clarke said Douglas Adams' use of "don't panic" was perhaps the best advice that could be given to humanity.

Remember, remember the 28th of September.

Hardware:
PerformsCrashHourly: Crap 200 w/Samsung EcoGreen F2 1,5TB NTFS HDD
Abandonware: Alpha V.02-04-110422-21-POP-408-000
09-26-2010, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2010 07:55 PM by mike_bike_kite.)
It does appear to be an EARS model - I saw this on the amazon page but must admit I have no idea what it implies. I'll read the thread linked to now.
Mfr Part Number: WD10EARS

I have about 4 hours to try and format the HDD and get some media (any media) on to it. Thanks for suggestions so far.

Mike

PS that link to the EARS thread only mentions EARS once and doesn't appear to offer much help - sorry.

+ 1 TB + Wifi
09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
This is the link that I think cheaper meant:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=39738

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
09-26-2010, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2010 09:01 PM by mike_bike_kite.)
(09-26-2010 08:11 PM)chris57 Wrote:  This is the link that I think cheaper meant:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=39738
Yep - that looks like the one & I was just about to post a link myself. It's odd though that this disk, ie Western Digital green, was the recommended disk for the PCH on many sites. I didn't see anywhere where it mentioned that everything needs changing to use it - no matter. Is there a particular part within the 13 page thread where the instruction might be? I do have a number of linux boot disks, including knoppix, but which of the posts should I follow?

If one of the moderators is reading this then it would help if the final solution is shown at the bottom of the first post of the thread - many people might enjoy reading through 13 pages of posts on a topic to find the answer to the problem. Another idea might be to set up a wiki page showing simply how to deal with the issue.

Also, if this is the way large media HDD are going, then shouldn't the PCH take steps to deal with these disks directly?

Mike

+ 1 TB + Wifi
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
(09-26-2010 08:59 PM)mike_bike_kite Wrote:  Yep - that looks like the one & I was just about to post a link myself. It's odd though that this disk, ie Western Digital green, was the recommended disk for the PCH on many sites. I didn't see anywhere where it mentioned that everything needs changing to use it - no matter. Is there a particular part within the 13 page thread where the instruction might be? I do have a number of linux boot disks, including knoppix, but which of the posts should I follow?

If one of the moderators is reading this then it would help if the final solution is shown at the bottom of the first post of the thread - many people might enjoy reading through 13 pages of posts on a topic to find the answer to the problem. Another idea might be to set up a wiki page showing simply how to deal with the issue.

Also, if this is the way large media HDD are going, then shouldn't the PCH take steps to deal with these disks directly?

Mike

If the A200/C200 is the first device to use the EARS type disks, i.e. the NMT formats the disk and installs apps, etc. Then everything works fine. The problem is when other OS's(or users), which are ignorant of the EARS needs touch the drives first, then the NMT and other OS's have problems.

PCH A-100, A-110 & A-200

09-26-2010, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2010 09:24 PM by mike_bike_kite.)
(09-26-2010 09:07 PM)xor Wrote:  If the A200/C200 is the first device to use the EARS type disks, i.e. the NMT formats the disk and installs apps, etc. Then everything works fine. The problem is when other OS's(or users), which are ignorant of the EARS needs touch the drives first, then the NMT and other OS's have problems.
It went directly into the PCH and I went straight to install new firmware (via USB). Is there any way of me telling whether I have an issue or not? I can't see the drive come up on the my computer screen of XP. It's connected by the correct USB link etc, it did work once, I have installed the required driver on the PC, the remote can still turn it on and off while it's connected (not sure if this makes a difference).

I'm guessing not a hope of getting the media on board. I'll take it back to Switzerland anyway - maybe I'll be able to sort it out with more time. At least the 2 pin plug will fit in the wall socket!

PS the version of the software is 02-02100209-19-POP-411-093
(I assume all these figures are necessary)

+ 1 TB + Wifi
09-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Do NOT use the NMT when it is connected via USB Slave. You'll end up messing the HDD up and have to reformat it. You should think of the NMT as a removable HDD when its connected to the PC. So dont use your Tv and the NMT whilst it is connected via USB Slave.

It is not the firmware that has any implication on whether the HDD has been correctly aligned, it is the NMT Apps install when the HDD is formatted and partitioned.

If you have the NMT Apps installed, the A200 connected via USB Slave to your PC and turned ON, the Ext drivers installed on your PC, you should be able to transfer Gb's of stuff now.
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i.../USB_Slave

09-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - I finally got things sorted - I updated the firmware by browsing for the usbupdate.html file on the PCH rather than using the setup > maintenance route. This went through ok with no errors.

Also I needed to start the driver manually on my XP PC and assign drive letters before I could view the HDD using the USB slave. Once I'd done this it was pretty quick to write files across ie under a min for 700MB. Sadly I only have a few files to transfer now I'm away from my NAS box.

The wiring that worked for me using 3*phone to scart was Yellow into the cvbs socket and the Red and Black cables into the L & R audio sockets. The EARS thing with the HDD appeared to be a red herring.

I still have a few questions left though:
  • It said that the NMT apps were installed but I don't see them - where are they?
  • How do I get the HDD to go quiet - it seems to spin even with the unit off?
  • I'd heard of apple trailers and YouTube but I don't see any menu items for these?
  • The last screw on the 3.5" HDD mounting tab seems impossible to put in - is there a trick or is it needed?

+ 1 TB + Wifi
09-28-2010, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2010 07:24 AM by cheaper_popcorn.)
My apologies for sending you out on a wild goose chase. Blush I honestly thought that the EARS thing could be the root of your problem.

Quote:It said that the NMT apps were installed but I don't see them - where are they?

On your remote press SETUP. There should be an entry for NMT apps in the left hand menu pane of the screen. When you navigate to that entry you should see a number of server and download apps (Samba server, NFS server, FTP server etc.) and to the right of each app, a Start button.

You can read up on what the apps do in the C200 manual and the Wiki. Basically they are there to achieve two things:
1. Serving media located on your A200's hard drive to other networked devices.
2. Downloading files to your A200's hard drive.

Quote:# How do I get the HDD to go quiet - it seems to spin even with the unit off?
The unit is not off if the hard drive spins, it is in 'video off' mode, i.e. the display function is turned off, but the player is still available on the network, and any NMT apps that are started will also be running. To turn off the player completely you need to press and hold down the power button on the remote until the LED on the front starts blinking, and then goes red. (you should hear the fan and hard drive stop spinning).

Quote:I'd heard of apple trailers and YouTube but I don't see any menu items for these?

I don't know the status of Apple Trailers, I heard it was broken but I don't know the details.

As for the YouTube app, it is available under the App Center menu. On the main rotating wheel menu, go to the Globe symbol and press the down arrow on the remote, pick App Center and press Enter. You should see the Youtube app there.

Quote:The last screw on the 3.5" HDD mounting tab seems impossible to put in - is there a trick or is it needed?

Not sure about this one, I use a 2.5" HDD.

Media tank:A-100 & C-200
TV:Panasonic TH-50PY800MT (HDMI)
Audio:Logitech Z-5500 (Coaxial)
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Apple blocked access to Apple trailers and it was a 100 series MSP plugin.

The screw is needed in case you move the unit. If you arent going to move it then you could leave it out.

Have a good read of the WIKI installation category, things like the 200 series remote contro9l page as you'll miss out on features and functions unless you know what to press and when.

09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
(09-28-2010 07:23 AM)cheaper_popcorn Wrote:  On your remote press SETUP. There should be an entry for NMT apps in the left hand menu pane of the screen. When you navigate to that entry you should see a number of server and download apps (Samba server, NFS server, FTP server etc.) and to the right of each app, a Start button.
I don't have that menu item so I'm guessing they didn't go in. I tried reinstalling them and didn't get any errors but they're still not there. Odd.

It also makes me wonder what is keeping the HDD spinning if it's not the NMT apps?

+ 1 TB + Wifi
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  totally lost, frustrated, confused. rlum 4 2,004 04-12-2010 06:29 AM
Last Post: rlum
  absolutely lost & frustrated LiamPatrick 7 2,360 02-22-2010 09:49 AM
Last Post: chris57