Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
[NMJ v1] privacy issues, absence of licence approval
11-14-2010, 06:33 PM
RE: privacy issues, absence of licence approval
has anyone seen or used mymovies?

all information you enter for films is stored on their servers, and it records who updated the record and when.

you can also have your collection listed in web-format based (ie c.mymovies.dk/walkerx) if you browse to that location you will see films i've had in my collection but not been updated recently.
Find all posts by this user
11-14-2010, 07:10 PM
You don't seem to get the point. I'm an IP lawyer and altough I'm more into patents and not much into data retention and privacy issues, I can assure you that the service you mention probably has a proper EULA and data privacy policy. If it's hosted in europe, there probably is a "declaration" to local authorites about which data they collect and how long they keep them, and how to remove them.

You don't collect that kind of info in europe just because you think it's a cool idea. In just two emails I can get an administrative inquiry filed by austrian authorities against Syabas, unless maybe Austria just spinoffed out of Europe.

I believe syabas will quickly fix their EULA and privacy policy. They have to erase all the collected data without proper declaration, hire a lawyer, and do their homework.
11-14-2010, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2010 07:21 PM by dc11ab.)
What would you consider a proper EULA used in this context? Could you point at some example?
(Under the assumption that there actually IS something collected and stored at Syabas server, or for any partner of theirs)

EDIT: I see Werner post below; so there's a cache, not containing personal information: PulcoCitron; what does that imply from your perspective? Personally I see no case to argue, but IANAL.

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn.
Wiki. Wiki? Wiki!
11-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

to make something clear, we don't store ip or mac adress, your movielist or whatever, for what should we do that, we have a license with imdb, they give us for not an small fee the api to access imdb, there license says we have to use a proxy, what we are doing, we cache the searched movietitle, like how the movietitle is and what imdb gives back, this is cached, the only reason for that is to speed it up, our Server use currently only 10% of the avaible bandwith, so if someone search for 300 (2006), then the next user which search with the same string will get the imdb details much faster, thats also an reason why the filenaming is important, same goes for nfo files, they speed up aggregation.

Regards,
Werner
11-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Werner,
happy to see you are fully covered Smile !!!!! Good job!

By the way the idea of caching is normal and does not infringe any privacy as far as I know Smile

Mf
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
All clear now...... good
The proxy does not log the scraping behavior of the users.

End of story.

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
11-16-2010, 07:30 PM
(11-16-2010 07:01 PM)Willem53 Wrote:  All clear now...... good
The proxy does not log the scraping behavior of the users.

End of story.

Forums posts really mean nothing. An official Privacy Policy would be the end of the story.

PCH A-100, A-110 & A-200

11-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Send them a letter thenBig Grin

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
11-17-2010, 09:40 AM
@syabas : you don't seem to grasp basic concepts like the difference between collecting and storing informations. This statement is a joke (it's an understatement) and I can assure you that trouble is on its way if you continue to run your business like childs, you don't mess with data privacy in the EU, there are plenty of people whos job is to bother companies like you with procdures you don't even seem to know about.
Get a freakin lawyer quickly and tell him about what you're doing.

Good luck, afaic I'll not use this tool until it has a visible privacy policy & snailmail adress for asking data removal, period.
11-17-2010, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2010 12:10 PM by accident.)
I would like to suggest that you take up this matter/oversight with syabas and not this community run forum. I can see your points and concerns.

You can find all of the contact information at their corporate website: http://www.syabas.com/contact.html
11-17-2010, 05:17 PM
(11-14-2010 07:49 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Syabas has paid IMDb for a license to use their api, I really cannot see Syabas storing any information but we'll get confirmation.

This is a key point for me. Using the IMBD API, NMJ will not have to deal with all the changes in IMDB ui, and therefore very soon their scrapping will be the best in town.

Having a license from IMDB mean that we as users of NMJ have (for the first time) legal access to thier movie data, and this is good.

Well done. SmileSmile
11-17-2010, 07:18 PM
(11-17-2010 09:40 AM)PulcoCitron Wrote:  @syabas : you don't seem to grasp basic concepts like the difference between collecting and storing informations. This statement is a joke (it's an understatement) and I can assure you that trouble is on its way if you continue to run your business like childs, you don't mess with data privacy in the EU, there are plenty of people whos job is to bother companies like you with procdures you don't even seem to know about.

Good luck, afaic I'll not use this tool until it has a visible privacy policy & snailmail adress for asking data removal, period.

any idea on how many unsubstantiated assumptions your opinion is based?

11-17-2010, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2010 03:31 AM by lordy.)
(11-17-2010 05:17 PM)xua Wrote:  This is a key point for me. Using the IMBD API, NMJ will not have to deal with all the changes in IMDB ui, and therefore very soon their scrapping will be the best in town.

Using the API presents a stable interface to IMDB data but other than that it does not, to my knowledge, give any better data that can be retrieved via scraping. It just makes it easier to get.

IMDB is of course very comprehensive and de-facto movie reference but for jukebox use it lacks:

1. consistent high def images (for Movies and TV).
2. Fanart
3. plot translations are often missing.
4. TV episode plots are usually missing.
5. Language specific posters are usually not present.

Then there are things like Kids Movies, and some Musical / Comedy DVD releases that you can typically find on Amazon but not always on IMDB.

Does anyone know if the IMDB API expose the top billed cast ?

Oversight: Jukebox | FeedTime: Automatic nzbs
11-18-2010, 03:05 AM
(11-17-2010 05:17 PM)xua Wrote:  This is a key point for me. Using the IMBD API, NMJ will not have to deal with all the changes in IMDB ui, and therefore very soon their scrapping will be the best in town.

Having a license from IMDB mean that we as users of NMJ have (for the first time) legal access to thier movie data, and this is good.

Well done. SmileSmile

As far as I'm aware we've always had legal access to IMDB data for personal use. It would be a different story if we scraped the data in order to publish it or sell it.

The API does mean that NMJ will carry on working through changes to the IMDB UI, but that is a stability rather than quality issue. Scrapers like YAMJ fall foul of these changes, but are pretty rapidly made to work again thanks to the extremely dedicated maintainers. Having alternative sources such as themoviedb.org to scrape also means that NMJ is extremely unlikely to be "the best in town" with its single source. This is especially true for TV series and rarer/foreign movies. While the IMDB data is a massive resource, it is not without its failings. Many of the plots are grammatically incorrect or are more of a review than a synopsis. The genre assignment seems to be on the basis of not leaving out any possibilities that might apply rather than a real attempt to categorise. As an example, see how many animations are also classified as 'action'. A movie would virtually have to become a still image to avoid IMDB classing it as action. I was pleased to see that themoviedb had 'Eastern' as a genre, something totally lacking in IMDB despite there being at least an order of magnitude more movies that come into this category than, say, movies that are 'Film-noir' which it does support.

IMDB is obviously the right choice for NMJ and I also understand the reasons for having a single source. Hopefully some pressure can be put on IMDB to improve their game, but I'm absolutely convinced that it will never catch up with the scrapers that use multiple sources.
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
(11-17-2010 09:40 AM)PulcoCitron Wrote:  @syabas : you don't seem to grasp basic concepts like the difference between collecting and storing informations. This statement is a joke (it's an understatement) and I can assure you that trouble is on its way if you continue to run your business like childs, you don't mess with data privacy in the EU, there are plenty of people whos job is to bother companies like you with procdures you don't even seem to know about.

NMJ is the best improvement since I got my c200, werner clearly stated no IP or personal info recorded by syabas. If you are not happy dont use it. ( Maybe you work for western digital.... (: Big Grin )
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NMJ servers issues Wombie 157 38,001 01-25-2014 05:12 PM
Last Post: zuzuzu
  [NMJ v2] NMJ TV Series Issues Lourens1190 1 583 10-22-2013 02:04 PM
Last Post: divine
Question [NMJ v2] Database issues a400 lil8386 4 1,050 07-11-2013 10:31 PM
Last Post: lil8386
User [NMJ v2] Questions and issues of a first-time popcorn user gaba 3 983 12-04-2012 10:51 AM
Last Post: Ludie
  [split]NMJv2 - Issues cewel 6 3,776 12-16-2011 10:25 PM
Last Post: chris57
  [NMJ v1] NMJ issues with undefined TV Show content popcorneater1978 5 2,343 07-07-2011 09:47 AM
Last Post: popcorneater1978
  [NMJ v1] NMJ issues (subtitles and video problems) deibit 6 3,268 07-02-2011 07:15 PM
Last Post: Furedetsu
  [NMJ v1] NMJ issues with iso files SaxoDK 0 946 06-20-2011 09:22 PM
Last Post: SaxoDK
  [NMJ v1] NMJ MUSIC ISSUES bradpito 4 2,047 06-16-2011 04:16 PM
Last Post: hitendra
  [NMJ v1] Nmj issues shnilly 1 1,161 05-13-2011 11:51 PM
Last Post: shnilly