Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
localised alphabet drop-down list
01-13-2011, 10:23 PM
RE: localised alphabet drop-down list
@akaman - full i18n/localisation is coming soon. Not this main release - possibly the one after along with subtitle downloading.

Oversight: Jukebox | FeedTime: Automatic nzbs
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lordy for this post
01-13-2011, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2011 10:47 PM by akaman.)
Thumbsup RE: localised alphabet drop-down list
(01-13-2011 10:23 PM)lordy Wrote:  @akaman - full i18n/localisation is coming soon. Not this main release - possibly the one after along with subtitle downloading.

wow it is perfect.so thanks lordy.

p.si.:i hope you dont forget new realese for dark over.config pages problem..we would like to test it.before csi update.
01-14-2011, 11:13 AM
(01-13-2011 10:23 PM)lordy Wrote:  @akaman - full i18n/localisation is coming soon. Not this main release - possibly the one after along with subtitle downloading.

For that it would be better if you consolidate meaningful text into as few files as possible, preferably in XML format like this:
en_US.xml
Code:
<strings>
<string="1">Director:</string>
<string="2">Writer:</string>
<string="3">Cast:</string>
</strings>
It would simplify GUI translation process - you won't need to sift through a lot of files scattered among different folders to find the strings to translate , and localization professionals like me Smile will be able to use proper CAT tools.
01-14-2011, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2011 11:44 AM by lordy.)
IMO XML is for machine to machine - not for human editable files Smile

I'll probably use GNU gettext ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_gettext )

If not I'll just use something similar to the java properties/resource files:

keyword=text ...

eg.

Code:
rescan=....
misscellaneous=
scan_message=This will return immediately and start a background scan of the listed paths. Scan speed is approx 300 new files per hour (x2 if getting fanart). Other applications may also affect overall scan speed. Covers and fanart are downloaded independently so may appear later.

With one resource file per language/locale

01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
2lordy

Code:
IMO XML is for machine to machine - not for human editable files

A NMT player IS a machine.Smile
For amateur translators there's no difference - they will need to use some text editor like notepad2 or notepad++ to insert their translations in any case, but as a professional I'd like to be able to use CAT tools like Trados to streamline the process and re-use translations for different components and versions. As far as I can tell, GNU gettext format is not very good for translating with CAT and also is not very good at all if the number of strings exceeds 20-30 - managing such translation is hell, believe me.
01-14-2011, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2011 02:17 PM by lordy.)
> and also is not very good at all if the number of strings exceeds 20-30

Could you elaborate on that?

Code:
<string="1">Director:</string>

Presumable the labels '1' etc dont have to be numbers. I dont want to write code with cryptic numbers all over the place instead of keywords. It's cryptic enough as it is Smile

Will the following be OK?

Code:
<string="director">Director:</string>

But I'll probably still have:
director:Director

Because, XML is useful for tool-to-tool integration but not parsing efficiency. I'll be reading the resource file at every page load.
It shouldn't be too hard to knock up a script to convert the flat files to XML for your needs Smile

That's one reason I feel the pain for YAMJ skinners, XSLT is truly yucky to write without any tools Smile

01-14-2011, 09:59 PM
(01-14-2011 02:14 PM)lordy Wrote:  > and also is not very good at all if the number of strings exceeds 20-30

Could you elaborate on that?

OK, maybe I overcomplicate things. What I trying to say that a format used for storing GUI strings should allow to strip meaningful text from service strings, variables and tags. I mentioned XML only because it's used in large software to store GUI strings and there are some tools to process this format.

Quote:Will the following be OK?

Code:
<string="director">Director:</string>

Yes, it will work, but I think what you suggest below is much better:
Quote:But I'll probably still have:
director:Director
Such strings can be easily processed even in MS Excel or imported in CAT (Computer Assisted Translation) tools of necessary.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  eversion/oversight list view problem jonny555 0 453 03-02-2014 12:14 PM
Last Post: jonny555
  Slooow navigation & watched list probs chumbolito 2 628 07-04-2012 09:38 AM
Last Post: chumbolito