Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Just Gave In And Purchased A Boxee.....
02-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Just Gave In And Purchased A Boxee.....
....to run alongside my C-200

Decided I can't wait for iPlayer, 4OD, SeeSaw etc and the Boxee seems to have a lot more on-line content than the C-200

Will be an interesting experiment to see what it can actually do and it's going to live in my bedroom for the time being, with the eventual aim of replacing my Virgin Media box!

Still keeping my C-200 as I get the feeling that the Boxee won't compare to the C-200 for audio-video quality
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
RE: Just Gave In And Purchased A Boxee.....
I'm not sure if boxee would be as affective in Europe as it would in America.As far as I can see it's more made for the American market than anywhere else so a lot of the apps would be useless or am I seeing it wrong ?
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
boxee software works on a pc and mac, they actually have more plugins than the hardware box. Give it a whirl, easy to setup and see how it would work in your area.
02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Boxxee will never replace your Virgin Media box. VM gives access to things like Sky HD, Sky 3D, and all the other premium cable services. Boxxeee will never be able to offer those.
The Intel chip in the boxxeebox allows widgets and other gimmicks. PCH will be bringing out a Intel based player according to press reports for those that want this type of box as opposed to the full NMT platform.
Online premium content is available in USA, nowhere else though presently. Not the cable premium services but things like Netflix, Amazon on Demand, etc.
iplayer is coming to the 200 series NMT soon.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
02-25-2011, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2011 11:01 AM by maddog.)
To be honest with my Virgin box, I've got the full package (not the premium content) and we only really use it for watching the standard terrestrial channels, and a lot of that we watch on catch-up

I watch a lot of crap on discovery, but most of that I've already seen about 3 times

It seems that most of the stuff on TV is regurgutated crap, something shows on Sky1 which then feeds down to Sky2 and then Sky3 (not that I ever watch the Sky channels)

My ideal setup will be

Chop virgin back to their most basic package (as I can't get freeview in my area) or get freesat
PCH for all my downloaded TV, dvd rips and DVD/Blu-Ray Disks
Boxee for on-line content

I've also discovered that you can add a US VPN to the boxee box and then you can access all the US content,.....so I'm going to give that a dabble too.

There seems to be a LOT bigger development community for the Boxee, hopefully the new PCH box will encourage the same sort of apps
(02-25-2011 10:26 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Online premium content is available in USA, nowhere else though presently. Not the cable premium services but things like Netflix, Amazon on Demand, etc.
iplayer is coming to the 200 series NMT soon.

Currently for the UK (that I've found so far)

iPlayer
SeeSaw
4OD
ITV

Add in a US VPN and then you can access the US content

If iPlayer comes to the PCH then I'll definately check it out, but to keep up we really need 4OD and SeeSaw as well
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
I dont think that it will ever be a case of 'catching up' as online content is not the aim of the NMT platform. Video playback of high quality material is the main aim and online content certainly isnt that as its lowbitrate stuff.

On the USA VPN stuff can you actually see any content. Even if you manage to fool it into thinking you are using a USA ip I would have thought you'd have to pay and when trying to it would detect that its not a USA card and reject your payment and not give access to your requested files.

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
02-25-2011, 12:10 PM
(02-25-2011 11:40 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I dont think that it will ever be a case of 'catching up' as online content is not the aim of the NMT platform. Video playback of high quality material is the main aim and online content certainly isnt that as its lowbitrate stuff.

And this is why I'll keep my C-200 indefinately for my high-quality content. I don't own a DVD/Blu-Ray player any more, my C-200 does that

(02-25-2011 11:40 AM)chris57 Wrote:  On the USA VPN stuff can you actually see any content. Even if you manage to fool it into thinking you are using a USA ip I would have thought you'd have to pay and when trying to it would detect that its not a USA card and reject your payment and not give access to your requested files.
I'm still researching this, but there appears to be a lot of free content from the states. There are also ways and means around the credit card issue, I know a lot of people who use US iTunes accounts from the UK, I can't remember how they did it currently

As is said this is all an experiment for me at the moment!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating the C-200, it's just the Boxee will do a lot of stuff that I was kinda hoping the C-200 would have evolved into.

I did consider XBMC, but it doesn't compare to the C-200 in many ways!

Just seen the boxee subsonic app....it's looking like what I've been looking for for YEARS!!!
03-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Well after a month or so of testing here goes

The Good........
The UI is REALLY slick
The scraping works fantastically well
On-line content is pheonominal - LOADS AND LOADS of stuff - no need to the music channels on Virgin anymore
The double sided remote - great to have a qwerty keyboard
Subsonic - gives me what I wanted out of my music collection

The Bad.........
Skip a 30 second jump and then wait for the box to re-buffer
Some web contents stops and won't re-start

The Ugly........
Fan cooling - I now remember why I ditched my Xbox running XBMC for a A-100
iPlayer app has just been pulled for re-development

Conclusion?
I love it as a box but if you want one, it would have to live alongside your C-200 as the C-200 is the king of media playback (plus it has a DVD/Blu-Ray drive)
In my opinon, the UI is heaps better on the Boxee, yes the C-200 does what I need it to do, but I gave up with NMJ as it was just too slow and clunky, the boxee looks a lot prettier!

It's still in my bedroom, but I've decided to chop down my Virgin subscription to it's most basic
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Re: Just Gave In And Purchased A Boxee.....
@maddog - I'm a Stateside reader and I'm interested in this thread because eventually my eGreat EG-M31B will go out on me and then I'll be stuck with no NMT.

I've been interested in the Boxee Box but it was clearly Not Ready For Prime Time when it was first released.

As for chris57's comment "Video playback of high quality material is the main aim and online content certainly isn't that as it's low bitrate stuff" that assumes you only use the Boxee for online content, when as far as I know it's a full streamer now - and you can now attach local USB drives to it as well, so I'm not sure denigrating the Boxee Box as "a Intel based player [...] this type of box as opposed to the full NMT platform." is terribly fair, to be quite honest.

Other than the "in-the-box" apps like a Torrent client et al. (that I don't run anyway) I don't really see how a Boxee Box isn't effectively an NMT at this point.

Anyway please keep us posted, if you play any of your own content (as opposed to just streaming online content) please let us know how you fare. I already have a DVD/Blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-83) so I really don't want to add a 3rd box to the mix, if a Boxee Box could replace my eGreat and play local (or LAN-based content served from my Mac) as well as the eGreat I'd be pretty happy to make the jump.
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 03:39 PM by chris57.)
A Boxxee will never be a NMT as that is Syabas's trademarked platform. It is a media player, a networked media player NMP, it can never be a Netwokred Media Tank NMT.

Intel have not proved themseleves yet at producing anything like the picture quality that Sigma have with their chips. That to me is the whole point of investing in a media player that can play HD and has Bluray abilities is to get a great picture.

It will be interesting to compate the picture quality of an NMT with an Intel chip inside v's the 8635, 8643, and hopefully 8920 chip.

04-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I do use it for streaming content off my server which it seems to cope will with my MKV's which are only 720 I believe

However, my bedroom tv is only a 32" LCD and it's on the farthest wall from my bed and so the picture quality will look fine from that distance

What I will say is that the fan is a major annoyance and wouldn't want it in my lounge, if I added a boxee box alongside my PCH in my lounge it would be on a silent PC
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
(04-06-2011 01:26 PM)maddog Wrote:  I do use it for streaming content off my server which it seems to cope will with my MKV's which are only 720 I believe

However, my bedroom tv is only a 32" LCD and it's on the farthest wall from my bed and so the picture quality will look fine from that distance

What I will say is that the fan is a major annoyance and wouldn't want it in my lounge, if I added a boxee box alongside my PCH in my lounge it would be on a silent PC

Right now I think the big issue (at least for me) is the audio dropouts with HD Audio ("supposedly" will be fixed in the next FW update). For those in the US who want local video playback alongside some premium online content (such as Netflix and Vudu), the Boxee Box does make for an interesting proposition. I have a Boxee Box (got it more for review purposes) but honestly rarely ever use. Online content is not a big priority for me, and my Dunes/PCHs/HTPCs still handle local playback better. I actually don't like the Boxee Box UI (or I should say the way the local video jukebox looks/is handled) and the remote is horrible.

Cheers,
Damian

blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
04-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Ya know its interesting, the remote looked genius on paper. But you seem to be amungst the majority of user reviews i've seen who said its terrible.

Pannasonic Plasma 50" -->HK254-->Emotiva xpa-5 & upa-2
A100 w/ 500gb HDD, A200 w/ mn100, c200 w/ 2.5" 250gb
Calm 2.1, YAMJ - Redefined 1.8a skin, Music Jukebox 8
WHS ex490 w/ 2.5tb's
04-06-2011, 02:53 PM
(04-06-2011 02:44 PM)excal Wrote:  Ya know its interesting, the remote looked genius on paper. But you seem to be amungst the majority of user reviews i've seen who said its terrible.

Yeah, absolutely horrible design.

The front side has very limited buttons and there is really no discernible way to tell you are holding the remote right side up or upside down (there is the Boxee logo that you could try and feel for but quite a few times I ended up holding the remote backwards). The keyboard sounds good on paper, but there are some misplaced keys and more importantly, the key colors are a dull gray and not backlit (so basically unless you like to watch tv/movie with full lights in the room you cannot see the keys).

This is exactly how the remote should have been done, but I guess they needed to cut corners and keep costs down which is how they got the Boxee Box remote:

http://pulse-eight.com/store/products/96...ybrid.aspx

Cheers,
Damian

blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
04-06-2011, 03:23 PM
That does look like a sweet remote.

Pannasonic Plasma 50" -->HK254-->Emotiva xpa-5 & upa-2
A100 w/ 500gb HDD, A200 w/ mn100, c200 w/ 2.5" 250gb
Calm 2.1, YAMJ - Redefined 1.8a skin, Music Jukebox 8
WHS ex490 w/ 2.5tb's

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to go Boxee Box... camira 23 8,052 03-23-2011 03:10 PM
Last Post: Riot Nrrrdâ„¢
  PCH A210 or Boxee or NeoTV 550? odoylerules 4 4,234 12-20-2010 08:42 PM
Last Post: chris57
  Response to Chris57 Re: Boxee Box hazmat 32 8,601 12-01-2010 10:15 AM
Last Post: Omertron
  What does Hitler think of the Boxee Box? Gunserotti 3 1,967 11-18-2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: Steve.Young
  Sold my C-200 for Asrock 330HT and Boxee fredphoesh 12 5,323 04-20-2010 04:46 PM
Last Post: spawn
  Everything boxee box in here choochoo7777 32 8,126 01-14-2010 10:59 PM
Last Post: aiden
  Boxee Box is coming.. just who's doing the hardware? smiley2billion 3 1,849 11-13-2009 04:49 AM
Last Post: hackztor