Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C200 power supply alternatives?
02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: C200 power supply alternatives?
All interesting opinions.... and not providing solutions...
Try to get a after warranty replacement part from the Samsungs, Sonys and Philipses of this world and post again...

I think the cost of having someone replace your capacitors could be equal or less than getting one from PCH if and when they are available again..
But feel free to wait... or complain... or whatever..

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2012, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2012 08:00 PM by hawkres.)
(02-25-2012 01:35 PM)Willem53 Wrote:  All interesting opinions.... and not providing solutions...
Try to get a after warranty replacement part from the Samsungs, Sonys and Philipses of this world and post again...

I think the cost of having someone replace your capacitors could be equal or less than getting one from PCH if and when they are available again..
But feel free to wait... or complain... or whatever..

Willem53, you could be right about Samsung Sony and Philips, however, I own a PCH and I have to deal with this issue, though standard PC kit is fairly easy to replace even for a novice such as myself.

I could put up with having to wait to a degree, what annoys the crap out of me is the absolutely stone wall silence on the issue. I am getting more communication from the community than the originators of the device. Be under no illusion my preference would be a wonderfully functioning PCH, I absolutely love the device when its working and personally believe that it is the best solution. However, it is not working and I have no idea when I might get it working.

To that end, I have taken the unacceptable route of approaching friends and colleagues about a DIY electronics fix. I cannot believe that I am even considering getting into the device to get it working but I see that there is little option, other than replacement and if I have to replace I will not be a returned customer to a company that can't be bothered to even reply to emails on the subject. If they could at least put some effort in on the support then I would have a different view but alas they are not.

So sorry to sound off but this comment as that of a moderator does not in my opinion help someone whom believes that they have been left high and dry. If someone can offer a relatively simple solution to this problem I would welcome that, but everything that I have read on this frankly I feel is beyond my know how. I understand IT to a degree but not electronics.

Many thanks if you can advise further.

(02-25-2012 11:11 AM)gjs Wrote:  
(02-21-2012 09:29 AM)Willem53 Wrote:  The general fault are the Capacitors, replacing these will give you a good PS. 5 euro's worth of parts will do it.
soldering Iron, de-soldering pump, carefully write down place and position of each capacitor.

complete "how To" somewhere on this forum...

I am glad though that the Samsungs, Sonys and Philipses do not work like that..

I'm not in soldering (is anybody these days), and I did not buy this unit at its steap price as a solder, screw and saw hobby box (I'll stick with software), but yes that is 'an' option.
Still does not dismiss PCH for putting the effort to compensate customers, of a cleary faulty batch.

(02-25-2012 10:50 AM)hawkres Wrote:  Does anyone have any idea when the PSU will be back in stock?

I figure by the amount of ppl with broken PSUs they will need a truck load of 'em and run out-of-stock again in a jif.
Maybe we can get a group deal? ;-)

I am certainly up for a group deal but try getting them to respond to questions on the issue. Several emails later and nothing, getting really annoyed with them. The support management should be shot, they have a really excellent piece of kit, ok it's got some faults, but they're not the first or last. What they need to do is manage the situation better and the support service is just letting them down. Such a shame.
02-25-2012, 11:03 PM
As a fellow user I don't feel the obligation to apologize for the lack of support PCH is providing on this issue.
I have stated my opinion on this subject to PCH but have not received any response.
I find it unforgivable that they are shipping new C200 build with new PSU form their stock and do not provide replacement PSU's for a faulty production series.
There are threads on this forum describing how to replace the capacitors including a kit list.. that is the best advice I can give at this point....

PCH-A100/A210/C200/A400 500GB EXT3 HDD<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to the A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

The inability to setup and configure the NMT should not be disguised as a defect of the box...
03-04-2012, 07:24 PM
The PSUs are back in stock. I hope that replacement will solve the problem with C-200.
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Looks like I have to revisit a thread I started a year an two weeks ago because I'm getting the Red/White flashing lights at switch on. Flashing about one every 3/4 sec. I disconnected the DB and flashing slowed down but still no joy.

Is this really the PSU again?

Oversight: Jukebox | FeedTime: Automatic nzbs
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Just searching alternative psu's now as my 2nd 'redesigned better' psu has now failed and taken another hdd out with it.

Opened it up and it's our old friend bulging caps again...

Fortunately popcorn are out of stock now, or I may have conceded defeat and ordered another psu.

Looking for methods to repair or replace has put me onto the pico resolution which I think I'll use instead of worrying when the psu will again fail.

May be worth a thread to see whose 2nd psu has failed.
06-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Got my pico psu and a new hdd and popcorn is back in action.

Popcorn support contacted me to let me know they're not expecting psu stock until the middle of next month.
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Just FYI: I am another customer with a C-200 with a failed (1st time) PSU just two weeks after warranty end. I've opened it up and it seems to me much more is blown due to heat than just the capacitors.

Given the last posts in this thread I will not buy a replacement PSU from PCH as they obviously are made with the same shoddy design.

This PSU failure, combined with the fact that my C-200 does not play all blu-rays that I have (Disney), means that I will not recommend a PCH to my friends / family. I seriously do not see how one can argue that lowering the cost of the PSU is good business for PCH; as I can see I'm not the only one strongly disappointed.

Good luck to all current owners of C-200's and may your PSU keep working for a long time...
07-13-2012, 11:54 PM
(07-10-2012 07:11 PM)Fritti Wrote:  Just FYI: I am another customer with a C-200 with a failed (1st time) PSU just two weeks after warranty end. I've opened it up and it seems to me much more is blown due to heat than just the capacitors.

Given the last posts in this thread I will not buy a replacement PSU from PCH as they obviously are made with the same shoddy design.

This PSU failure, combined with the fact that my C-200 does not play all blu-rays that I have (Disney), means that I will not recommend a PCH to my friends / family. I seriously do not see how one can argue that lowering the cost of the PSU is good business for PCH; as I can see I'm not the only one strongly disappointed.

Good luck to all current owners of C-200's and may your PSU keep working for a long time...

I nearly bought one of these. Thanks for reminding me how bad Popcorn support is.
07-14-2012, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2012 10:31 AM by Willem53.)
Current version of C200 PSU is much better that the previous one as we don't see the same failrate on the forum as lets say a year ago.
Technically I would say it's still smart to replace the PSU and keep your C200 as the alternatives in the market don't have much added value AFAIK.

Using a 3rd party PSU like PICO or a PCH one is a matter of choice.

07-14-2012, 11:09 AM
(07-14-2012 10:30 AM)Willem53 Wrote:  Current version of C200 PSU is much better that the previous one as we don't see the same failrate on the forum as lets say a year ago.
Technically I would say it's still smart to replace the PSU and keep your C200 as the alternatives in the market don't have much added value AFAIK.

Using a 3rd party PSU like PICO or a PCH one is a matter of choice.

That's what I was told a year ago when I ordered my replacement psu for the original one supplied with my c-200. Here I am a year down the line and the improved model lasted half as long as the inferior model.

I've got the pico now...so will see how long that lasts. Still love the c-200 though, which is why psu annoyances suck.
07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I wish you more luck with the PICO...

Statistics would make me suspect a cause outside of the PSU that makes it fail... but hey.. next to statistics there is always Murphy......

07-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Fixed the original PSU, but it broke again, replaced it with an external ATX power and it broke some 3 Months later.. whatta?? Is the popcorn shooting some spikes to the power or am I just cursed?
07-26-2012, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2012 10:57 AM by mbrackeva.)
Same thing here... PSU died. I'm not a handy guy so I'll replace it with a PicoPSU. I ordered:
  • PicoPSU-120 DC-DC Power Converter, 120 W
  • Power Adapter DC 12 V, 100 W Level 5
  • Digistor Slimline SATA CD/DVD Drive Converter Kabel (for 2nd SATA)

The 120W is a bit over the top, but it was on sale (27€).

Should come in early next week. I'll post the results...
I'll have to drill a hole in the chassis... quite a challenge for me Wink

I wanted to include pics, but apparantly I can't post clickable links, since I have only 3 posts so far?????? An image is not a clickable link imho, but hey... You'll have to copy/past the links below...

http://www.logicsupply.be/media/catalog/...psu120.jpg
http://www.logicsupply.be/media/catalog/...cord_2.jpg
http://www.logicsupply.be/media/catalog/...-31521.jpg

[EDIT] Mmm... it says it doesn't allow clickable links, but it does. It doesn't allow pictures though ???

As to my opinion on the whole matter, this is how I believe PCH should have reacted:
  • Achnowlegde the issue, for a start ... I can't see how they cannot!
  • Make sure they have enough spare parts in house to accomodate affected customers.
  • Make some kind of gesture, financially. I'm not saying they should start shipping replacement free PSU's, but e.g. without shipping costs? After all, this is not entirely the customer's fault, is it?

C200 - 3,5" HDD - BDROM - IRK-200 remote control - MN-200 Wifi N card
08-01-2012, 08:50 PM
The stuff was delivered last Friday, that's next day delivery! (perfect service, tx to http://www.logicsupply.be !!!!).

It took me a couple minutes to dismantle the old power supply. Another few minutes to put in the new cables. About an hour to find my drill Undecided. Another couple of minutes to drill the hole for the new cable, close the cover and power up.

So, if I had remembered where I put my tools (I tend to forget on purpose) the whole operation would have taken me about 20 minutes.

The system is running perfect again. My son swears that the image quality is better than before, but I find that doubtful. I'm colourblind, so I hesitate to form an opinion...

C200 - 3,5" HDD - BDROM - IRK-200 remote control - MN-200 Wifi N card

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Popcorn c200 not starting red flashing on motherboard saikonl 3 504 Yesterday 12:03 PM
Last Post: saikonl
  C200 flickers on 1080P setting TreadWater 146 41,807 04-20-2014 03:49 PM
Last Post: TReneR
  Repair C200 dead PSU mike8333 240 111,334 04-12-2014 02:26 PM
Last Post: focax
  DIY: build your own c200 'IR eye' for cheap linuxworks 80 78,009 04-12-2014 01:42 PM
Last Post: grizzly666
  PCH C200 freezes regularly laserblues2 5 518 03-26-2014 01:07 PM
Last Post: laserblues2
  SATA_DISK_A? loads veeery slow (C200) bosch 7 481 03-19-2014 02:45 PM
Last Post: Willem53
  C200 won't start using controller AnnonyMouse 5 430 03-17-2014 10:21 PM
Last Post: AnnonyMouse
  Lost confidence in PCH C200 Aquasport 36 2,369 03-02-2014 09:55 PM
Last Post: halfelite
  Replace PSU by normal atx power supply? RedHat 10 939 03-02-2014 12:38 AM
Last Post: aaronwt
  C200/Yamaha RX-A1010 issue lergei 6 607 02-20-2014 09:17 AM