Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Recent MKV files don't play
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Recent MKV files don't play
Hi,

I have many mkv files on the internal hard disk of my A110 that play just fine. However, recently, more and more mkv files that I download don't play anymore.

The mkv's download and extract fine and I can play them on a computer using Media Player Classic, over the network, directly from the Popcornhour's hard disk without problem. So the file seems to be intact and in order.

What's happening here? Have there been changes in the mkv file format the Popcornhour doesn't know about? MKV files used to be a safe choice for downloading. In the past, never had any problems with them.

I am not running the latest firmware, because of the audio play bug. The screensaver is just too important for me, because I have a plasma television that is rather vulnerable to burn in, and a wife who... well, doesn't seem to give these kind of things much thought...Undecided So I can't depend on her to stop the movie instead of pausing it when she decides to talk to her sister on the phone for an hour. Tongue

Any thoughts?

Vincent
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 11:54 PM
RE: Recent MKV files don't play
(04-01-2011 12:31 PM)vtimmerm Wrote:  Hi,

I have many mkv files on the internal hard disk of my A110 that play just fine. However, recently, more and more mkv files that I download don't play anymore.

The mkv's download and extract fine and I can play them on a computer using Media Player Classic, over the network, directly from the Popcornhour's hard disk without problem. So the file seems to be intact and in order.

What's happening here? Have there been changes in the mkv file format the Popcornhour doesn't know about? MKV files used to be a safe choice for downloading. In the past, never had any problems with them.

I am not running the latest firmware, because of the audio play bug. The screensaver is just too important for me, because I have a plasma television that is rather vulnerable to burn in, and a wife who... well, doesn't seem to give these kind of things much thought...Undecided So I can't depend on her to stop the movie instead of pausing it when she decides to talk to her sister on the phone for an hour. Tongue

Any thoughts?

Vincent

Sounds like the mkv header compression issue. Latter versions of firmware can handle it, but if you can't upgrade then you'll need to re-mux and remove the header compression. Here is one link to simple instructions, or search the forum for "mkv header compression" for others.
04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Yes,

It seems you're right. The mkv files all play with the latest firmware. I guess I have no choice but do disable the screen saver. I hope they come up with a decent fix for the audio play bug really soon.

Thanks,
Vincent
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
i have the latest firmware and get some mkv not playing too Sad
When got problem, i reboot my nmt and it play fine the same mkv who refused to work......that's the only solution for me at this time Sad
04-05-2011, 12:21 AM
(04-04-2011 11:41 AM)telexxingou Wrote:  i have the latest firmware and get some mkv not playing too Sad
When got problem, i reboot my nmt and it play fine the same mkv who refused to work......that's the only solution for me at this time Sad

That's another long-standing known issue. Especially prevalent on 1080P movies when using a memory intensive jukebox like YAMJ and Aeon. There is apparently a memory leak that is exacerbated by that combo. Last I checked your only recourse is to reboot.
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
(04-05-2011 12:21 AM)MiniMe Wrote:  
(04-04-2011 11:41 AM)telexxingou Wrote:  i have the latest firmware and get some mkv not playing too Sad

That's another long-standing known issue. Especially prevalent on 1080P movies when using a memory intensive jukebox like YAMJ and Aeon. There is apparently a memory leak that is exacerbated by that combo. Last I checked your only recourse is to reboot.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=19715
04-20-2011, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2011 04:04 PM by chrismgan.)
I was wondering why this thread is marked as solved? I haven't seen any solutions posted. I am also having problems playing MKV (mostly large ones 4gig +) files. I'm running the latest firmware on my A-110. Any ideas? My A-200 plays them just fine.
05-23-2011, 01:54 AM
MiniMe posted a solution which is also well documented all over the internet. If MKVs simply do not play back at all 9 times out of 10 it is because it was muxed with header removal compression enabled, which is the "new" default setting on mkvmerge since v4. If you remux the MKV and ensure header removal compression is disabled, and it still doesn't play back, then i would need to see a lot more detail regarding your setup and the usual mediainfo specs on the file in question.

Also, FWIW, when i upgraded to the latest firmware (Jan 2011) it basically broke playback on 90% of my MKV files. So I'm not sure about MiniMe's statement that new firmware got rid of the header compression removal bug, because my files sure as hell didn't play. After much research on the forum i took someone's advice of downgrading to the March 2010 firmware, and this restored normal playback functionality on my A-110. Unfortunately, there are still other bugs present in this version of the firmware so basically i cannot win with this machine.

PCH C-200 | PCH A-200 | YANFOE + YAMJ + Aeon
05-23-2011, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2011 02:38 AM by accident.)
I'd be more willing to say that it's the format of the audio track.. 110s play header compression just fine, however they cannot downmix many hd audio formats that are more and more common lately.
to add: I've been informed a more common reason is: embedded hidef vob subs
05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
which formats can it not play back? what happens if it can't downmix an audio track - it doesn't play the file at all?

and yes, with recent firmware the A110 can play back mkv's with header removal compression i've heard, but then why couldn't half of my mkv's play after i installed the last firmware? these were files that played back perfectly fine before the update. at any rate, all i know is with March 2010 firmware or earlier, the A110 certainly does not play back mkv's with header removal compression. whenever i encounter a mkv that doesn't play, i run it through mkvmerge (with that setting disabled) and then the A110 plays it. i'd love to not have to do this, but at least it's a solution until there comes a time when a firmware upgrade does not break my machine (crossing fingers)

05-24-2011, 12:21 AM
(05-23-2011 01:54 AM)steagle Wrote:  Also, FWIW, when i upgraded to the latest firmware (Jan 2011) it basically broke playback on 90% of my MKV files.

Have you tried the latest A-110 firmware [5 Apr. 2011]?
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Hmm, don't think so, I couldn't find anything more recent than Jan 2011 through the built-in firmware search in Maintenance. I'll try manually installing via USB - at this point, I'm willing to try anything but I think my core issues will never be solved (not enough processing power in the A-110 to handle high bitrate scenes in MKVs). I'm right on the cusp of buying a Dune device, either a Smart D1 or the Duo, but I'll give the A-110 a few more chances before pulling the trigger.

03-26-2012, 09:54 PM
any news on this?
03-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Is there still any development for the A-110 ?
I don't need new features but i sure wish this bug to be fixed.
Lately more and more movies won't play anymore. Rebooting doesn't help.
It only plays the first one or 2 minute of the movie and then it stops playing the movie while the audio is still there for a few seconds.
Starting another movie results in a weird situation where the last frame of the previous movie is somewhat showing and the movie I just started won't play either anymore. A reset is the only solution then.
04-09-2012, 02:17 AM
(03-30-2012 08:10 PM)Tjempeng Wrote:  Is there still any development for the A-110 ?
I don't need new features but i sure wish this bug to be fixed.
Lately more and more movies won't play anymore. Rebooting doesn't help.
It only plays the first one or 2 minute of the movie and then it stops playing the movie while the audio is still there for a few seconds.
Starting another movie results in a weird situation where the last frame of the previous movie is somewhat showing and the movie I just started won't play either anymore. A reset is the only solution then.

This looks like the same problem I had. Do you have sub/idx subtitle files with the movie? If so they don't work with mkv files. Rename the files or delete them and se if the movie works.
Dave

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  cannot delete files from popcorn remote control? permission denied 8ace 3 816 03-07-2014 06:12 PM
Last Post: 8ace
  A-110 Freezes loading EZTV & ETTV files MeanOldTeacher 1 547 12-11-2013 02:23 PM
Last Post: Bazrah
  3D MKV files nightwolf1980 8 1,207 11-17-2013 04:56 PM
Last Post: movie LOVERS
Question AVI - A100 Can't play this type of file frenger 0 794 09-10-2013 06:51 AM
Last Post: frenger
  A110 Can't Play Video Files Through Jukebox Overlay gamenlegend 1 880 08-22-2013 12:52 PM
Last Post: gamenlegend
  PCH A110 - cant play youtube video cimentocola 3 2,012 06-23-2013 01:44 PM
Last Post: VideoRipper
  VIDEO_TS folders wont play iamloco724@aol.com 8 2,567 02-12-2013 10:10 PM
Last Post: swearm
  [MKV] [Subtitles] 720p files not playing sventamyra 4 2,895 01-31-2013 11:20 AM
Last Post: sventamyra
  video with remux AAC to AC3: file played once, then refuses to play any other file cpbox 0 1,879 12-13-2012 10:00 AM
Last Post: cpbox
  Choppy MKV from WLAN, but other larger Files work Roemer 1 1,537 10-30-2012 12:26 AM
Last Post: VideoRipper