Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Soon] TheMovieDB and TheTVDB APIs and metadata used for all players
05-10-2011, 12:31 AM
RE: [Soon] TheMovieDB and TheVDB API's and metadata used for all players
yamj uses themoviedb and thetvdb to pull some information which is very good but it also pulls the user rating and movie plots from imdb and I think there are good reasons why it does that. But it's not one or the other as it uses thetvdb to pull tv episode plots as that is superior to what is in imdb (more complete, episode images, etc)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to quidnunc for this post
05-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Ok just to understand this further what information will be imported from what sites?

Like the cast, rating and genre will be imported from IMDB while the covers will be imported from TMDB and anything TV related will be imported from TVDB?

PCH A-200 16GB USB -> HDMI -> Samsung LN46A650 | A200 -> Toslink -> Logitech Z-5500 (Harmony 700)
PCH C-200 8GB USB -> HDMI -> Sharp LC46D64U (Harmony 550)
Eversion Whisper eskin + WHS V1 (25TB Q6600/4GB RAM ) -> Mediasonic HR82-SU3S2 (Backup)
D-Link DNS 323 for sale
05-10-2011, 12:34 AM
There's really no point to try to defend why imdb would be your preferred choice.. IMDB changed their rates and EVERYONE is dropping them.. Your better off fighting for really good nfo support in nmj v2 so you can use other tools that questionably obtain their metadata from imdb.
05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
(05-10-2011 12:31 AM)quidnunc Wrote:  yamj uses themoviedb and thetvdb to pull some information which is very good but it also pulls the user rating and movie plots from imdb and I think there are good reasons why it does that. But it's not one or the other as it uses thetvdb to pull tv episode plots as that is superior to what is in imdb (more complete, episode images, etc)
We use TheTVDB for ALL TV data. we get nothing from IMDB because it's tv data is badly organised and often incomplete. It does not have the rich graphical content that TheTVDB has or the organisation of the data that fits better with most users.

Having read the comments about IMDB, have you read some of their plots/synopsis on non-mainstream films? They're written by users and are often incomplete, or badly written. In my opinion, it's no longer the more professional site. Sure it's got a huge database, but where do you think that database originally came from? Users.

I've only ever found one movie that wasn't on TheMovieDb and it was a simple task to add it and update the data and then (in my case) re-run YAMJ and collect the data.

I can sympathise with those people that are used to IMDB, but understand that there are real commercial reasons why it's unsustainable to continue to licence their very expensive API.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Omertron for this post
05-10-2011, 09:52 AM
RE: [Soon] TheMovieDB and TheTVDB API's and metadata used for all players
Yup and if we all turn on the time machine and go back to when NMJ was first introduced, we saw a flood of complaints regarding lack of foreign film support as well as low resolution cover art. NMJ was measured against YAMJ and NMJ scraped metadata was so sparse compared to YAMJ which we all love (and still do).

IMHO This just brings NMJ a bit closer to the performance we enjoy with YAMJ and non-technical users will benefit the most.

A200 connected to 32" Samsung UA32C5000
C200 connected to Denon 1610 AVR and 42" LG 42LH50YR
Encore ENHGS-500 5 port Gigabit switch.
05-10-2011, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 10:02 AM by jsmith.)
Imho TheMovieDB is actually very anglo-saxon centric.

Fanart/posters are much better than on IMDB, but as you said, ratings (and probably crew related things are much accurates on imdb).
Anyway, in the TheMovieDB api you have the IMDB id, so i guess it's not so hard to join both?

For french users, Allocine API from YAMJ is a blessing.
05-10-2011, 10:19 AM
This news is a bit of a mixed bag for me. MovieDB has the best poster and fanart without a doubt, with at the moment I copy in to my movie dir then select via nmj. IMDB does have any fanart, and the posters are very often dvd covers (yuk).

I will miss the ratings from IMDB, and was hoping for an IMDB top 250 category on NMJ, guess that's not gonna happen now.

I trust the nmj devs to do the right thing by it's users, so if the devs are happy, so am I.

Thanks for all your hard work guys.
05-10-2011, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 10:43 AM by accident.)
I say still request it.. As long as there is a spot in the database for some sort of rating and top rating, then other tools can fill it in. the tonmj tool for yamj can move over this data, a new tool could be written to fill in or change certain fields to imdb data.. good nfo support would have the fields and many automated tools can pick up the data for you..

I'm a little surprised a replacement scanner project hasn't started to be honest, I just assumed the non-english users would spearhead this with imdb not in their language data being all that is available.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to accident for this post
05-10-2011, 05:26 PM
(05-10-2011 10:19 AM)DavoTheDiv Wrote:  I trust the nmj devs to do the right thing by it's users, so if the devs are happy, so am I.

+1.
Save money not paying IMDB, and spend it developing a better, faster NMJ. I'm still wainting for a good music jukebox Cool

I don't use YAMJ, but I find OVERSIGHT to be very good scrapping info (it uses those two databases, right?).

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL
POPCORN HOUR A200 + 1.5TB SAMSUNG Green (internal)
Xtreamer + Internal WD 320Gb + External WD 1.5Tb
SAMSUNG PS50B850 - 50" Series 8 Plasma
ONKYO TX-SR707 + B&W DM603 (front), CC3 (center), DM302 (rear), ASW1000 (sub)
[+] 1 user says Thank You to jopereira for this post
05-10-2011, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 07:49 PM by uglykid.)
I hope when its finished NMJ will work properly, now it is crappyRolleyes
05-11-2011, 02:21 AM
(05-09-2011 11:02 PM)werner Wrote:  sorry but what has votes todo with quality or available content? I think also this discussion is intereresting Wink made by some devs in here lol

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=44402

and it is up to the users, if you miss something then add it Wink

Regards,
Werner

I believe he was comparing the ratings system for both sites. If TheMovieDB shows a rating of 8/10 for a movie where only 68 people voted and IMDB has a rating of 6/10 for the same movie but 32,000 people voted... which do you think is most trustworthy?

For me, the rating system at IMDB is the best thing out there.
Does IMDB offer a cheaper API that only provides the rating for each movie? The other info you could get from theMovieDB.
05-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Bummer. Well I'm glad I don't use NMJ, since IMDB is has been more accurate for me than other solutions like TheTVdb
05-11-2011, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 05:40 AM by quidnunc.)
(05-10-2011 08:25 AM)Omertron Wrote:  Having read the comments about IMDB, have you read some of their plots/synopsis on non-mainstream films? They're written by users and are often incomplete, or badly written. In my opinion, it's no longer the more professional site. Sure it's got a huge database, but where do you think that database originally came from? Users.

Yes there are some issues with imdb plots but themoviedb is not good for me for a few reasons. Imdb has a choice between the short and long plot. I prefer short as long tends to be spoiler ridden. Many of the plot descriptions on themoviedb are even worse than the long plot description on imdb for spoilers (sometimes there is a short plot description which is better than nmj use by default but still)

Quote:I can sympathise with those people that are used to IMDB, but understand that there are real commercial reasons why it's unsustainable to continue to licence their very expensive API.

I understand that but for movie data imdb is better whatever commercial reasons why they switch.
05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
I don't see any concerns expressed with regards stability. the TVDB has quite a lot of downtime. Imagine if you happen to be trying to create your database and it's down. Better error messages would help with this.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
05-11-2011, 02:42 PM
... and what about synopsis in other languages then English?

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]