Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Soon] TheMovieDB and TheTVDB APIs and metadata used for all players
05-11-2011, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 02:46 PM by accident.)
RE: [Soon] TheMovieDB and TheTVDB API's and metadata used for all players
(05-11-2011 06:20 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I don't see any concerns expressed with regards stability. the TVDB has quite a lot of downtime. Imagine if you happen to be trying to create your database and it's down. Better error messages would help with this.

Werner mentioned they would make use of the proxy built for imdb data so it'll help with the stability. Now that I think about it.. if it's using the proxy, they don' tneed to firmware update to do this change, they just flip the switch on the proxy and now data comes from somewhere else, no changes to nmj. well for english.. they will need to add in changes so you can select what language you want the info in.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2011, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 03:20 PM by ChriZathens.)
As soon as you make it so that the new NMJ has all the info that it has now, then for us I guess that IMDB or TMDB makes no difference...
As for the better imdb details, I guess that since imdb changed their pricing policy, soon they will be abandoned and as a result more people will move to tmdb. After that it's a matter of - short- time until the tmdb info reach the same quality levels as the imdb's..
The only thing that I hope is that we won't need to edit all our nfos again...If the whole process is transparent to (us) users, then it's all fine by me...

• TV: Samsung UE46C6000
  • NAS: Nas4Free 9.1.0.1 - 2xRAIDZ1 (ZFS) arrays ~ 10TB of diskspace
  • NMT: Popcorn Hour C-200
    • WD Caviar Green 2TB

Result: Big Grin
05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
you still will be able to use the nfo files you use now with imdb id or url inside, our proxy will handle them as well and search with this imdb id on the new sources
[+] 2 users say Thank You to werner for this post
05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Excelent thanks
05-11-2011, 05:14 PM
when will be the new NMJ launched?
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2011 06:10 PM by Roman_V_M.)
(05-11-2011 02:42 PM)Benna Wrote:  ... and what about synopsis in other languages then English?

Both themoviedb and thetvdb are multi-lingual. Unfortunately, both sites aren't very international friendly. themoviedb allows to choose content language only after registration and thetvdb doesn't search for alternative TV-shows names in national languages - e.g. if you type "Dexter" it won't find a Russian page though it is there.
But AFAIK the APIs of both sites allow to correctly retrieve localized info and pictures so it's up to Sybas to fully leverage both sites' capabilities.
And, as it was said earlier, devote at least a bit of your time and add missing info on these sites - it will help both you and other users.
05-12-2011, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 09:13 AM by mfsav2.)
RE: [Soon] TheMovieDB and TheVDB API's and metadata used for all players
(05-09-2011 11:42 PM)Steve.Young Wrote:  For now, we will be using those services. For us, IMDB does not offer all the information we currently need or require. We are looking into other services that offer more robust metadata.

Which data TMDB has compared to IMDB? sounds very strange...

Mf
(05-10-2011 08:25 AM)Omertron Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 12:31 AM)quidnunc Wrote:  yamj uses themoviedb and thetvdb to pull some information which is very good but it also pulls the user rating and movie plots from imdb and I think there are good reasons why it does that. But it's not one or the other as it uses thetvdb to pull tv episode plots as that is superior to what is in imdb (more complete, episode images, etc)
We use TheTVDB for ALL TV data. we get nothing from IMDB because it's tv data is badly organised and often incomplete. It does not have the rich graphical content that TheTVDB has or the organisation of the data that fits better with most users.

Having read the comments about IMDB, have you read some of their plots/synopsis on non-mainstream films? They're written by users and are often incomplete, or badly written. In my opinion, it's no longer the more professional site. Sure it's got a huge database, but where do you think that database originally came from? Users.

I've only ever found one movie that wasn't on TheMovieDb and it was a simple task to add it and update the data and then (in my case) re-run YAMJ and collect the data.

I can sympathise with those people that are used to IMDB, but understand that there are real commercial reasons why it's unsustainable to continue to licence their very expensive API.

I can agree on the API cost but:
1) it's very simple to write a scraper and avoid any cost, is it legal?
2) DB dump text files are available and should be very easy to use, is it legal?

If this message was usefull for you please thank me.

If you have found me or my programs usefull please click on my reputation and let me know... I have a reputation to hold up
05-12-2011, 11:05 AM
(05-12-2011 09:02 AM)mfsav2 Wrote:  
(05-09-2011 11:42 PM)Steve.Young Wrote:  For now, we will be using those services. For us, IMDB does not offer all the information we currently need or require. We are looking into other services that offer more robust metadata.

Which data TMDB has compared to IMDB? sounds very strange...

Mf
(05-10-2011 08:25 AM)Omertron Wrote:  
(05-10-2011 12:31 AM)quidnunc Wrote:  yamj uses themoviedb and thetvdb to pull some information which is very good but it also pulls the user rating and movie plots from imdb and I think there are good reasons why it does that. But it's not one or the other as it uses thetvdb to pull tv episode plots as that is superior to what is in imdb (more complete, episode images, etc)
We use TheTVDB for ALL TV data. we get nothing from IMDB because it's tv data is badly organised and often incomplete. It does not have the rich graphical content that TheTVDB has or the organisation of the data that fits better with most users.

Having read the comments about IMDB, have you read some of their plots/synopsis on non-mainstream films? They're written by users and are often incomplete, or badly written. In my opinion, it's no longer the more professional site. Sure it's got a huge database, but where do you think that database originally came from? Users.

I've only ever found one movie that wasn't on TheMovieDb and it was a simple task to add it and update the data and then (in my case) re-run YAMJ and collect the data.

I can sympathise with those people that are used to IMDB, but understand that there are real commercial reasons why it's unsustainable to continue to licence their very expensive API.

I can agree on the API cost but:
2) DB dump text files are available and should be very easy to use, is it legal?

TV Series are a piece of crap on imdb. Missing episode infos, etc.
05-12-2011, 11:22 AM
(05-12-2011 09:02 AM)mfsav2 Wrote:  I can agree on the API cost but:
1) Strictly it's against their terms and conditions. I'm not a lawyer, but I would say that if you are making a commercial product (Syabas) then you would find some sharp suits at your door rather quickly if you used their data for your own benefit without paying them for it.

2) You can, perfectly legally, download the IMDB database and use the data. However that data is missing crucial pieces of information, such as the IMDB reference number, and therefore you can't use it to look up a movie.
It's also a few hundred MBs of data to download and process.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 04:10 PM by mfsav2.)
(05-12-2011 11:22 AM)Omertron Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 09:02 AM)mfsav2 Wrote:  I can agree on the API cost but:
1) Strictly it's against their terms and conditions. I'm not a lawyer, but I would say that if you are making a commercial product (Syabas) then you would find some sharp suits at your door rather quickly if you used their data for your own benefit without paying them for it.

2) You can, perfectly legally, download the IMDB database and use the data. However that data is missing crucial pieces of information, such as the IMDB reference number, and therefore you can't use it to look up a movie.
It's also a few hundred MBs of data to download and process.

Very good points Smile

I've just discovered the THE TVDB (for series) lacks the keywords Sad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423661/

http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=78899&lid=7

or am I missing something?

even in their example there are no keywords: http://www.thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/API:GetSeries

If you have found me or my programs usefull please click on my reputation and let me know... I have a reputation to hold up
05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
This is great, TheTVDB has much better synopsis than IMDB for TV shows... I can't wait...
05-13-2011, 09:41 PM
The title of this topic says for all players. But does that really include the A-100? I would love it if it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

[Image: all-thin-fanart.jpg]
05-13-2011, 09:44 PM
(05-12-2011 04:08 PM)mfsav2 Wrote:  I've just discovered the THE TVDB (for series) lacks the keywords Sad

even in their example there are no keywords: http://www.thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php/API:GetSeries

What would you use keywords for?
05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
(05-13-2011 09:44 PM)halfelite Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 04:08 PM)mfsav2 Wrote:  I've just discovered the THE TVDB (for series) lacks the keywords Sad

What would you use keywords for?

When you have a library of thousands of titles keywords are essential to find content Smile

I just add them to my NFO2NMJ as it was important Smile

05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
So there is an option inside NMJ to search by keywords?

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]