Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Please vote GOOD or BAD for all Options
This poll is closed.
Colors: good 11.08% 172 11.08%
Colors: bad 22.22% 345 22.22%
Icons: good 8.05% 125 8.05%
Icons: bad 25.18% 391 25.18%
Layout: good 6.25% 97 6.25%
Layout: bad 27.24% 423 27.24%
Total 1553 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
05-21-2011, 12:58 PM
RE: NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
It looks really odd, appear to be no good layout at all.

Very ugly Tongue
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Your kidding right?
Step away from the UI and put those programming tools down.

**Wingfat** (2)C-200,(1)A-200, A-100/SlingBx
OpenIndiana ZFS 56TB,NMTServer: Pioneer PRO-151
Onyko TX-NR 808 Anime Junkie
05-21-2011, 01:12 PM
i must say i dont like it either, very messy and i really think when it looks this way my wife couldnt even work with it (Like Baz said)
05-21-2011, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 01:25 PM by bas_nl.)
Aha! The new one looks better, nicer!

I have to return some videotapes.
05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I would not call it ugly. However from my point of view the goal of designing an intuitive gui for a media player is not achieved. It is actually just a colorful and more dynamic version of the old menu.

My girlfriend does not understand the symbols of the old menu and she really criticizes it. I showed her the video and she said: Dat gleiche, nur bunter :-) sorry for my German. Translated: Remains the same, it is just more colorful.

I would also focus (this has been said already very often) on media (movies, pictures and music). The access of preferences, network and interfaces (like USB) seems to have a high priority in your menu design. I have to say that configuration of my media tank does not belong to the daily things I do with my nmt. Therefore I would visually hide those features a litte bit more and focus on content and meaningful icons for movies, music and pictures.

I cannot give you much more tips how to make a better design. However, I think it is important to say that the direction this layout design takes is wrong based on an end user perspective.

Best Regards
mctankman
05-21-2011, 02:12 PM
(05-21-2011 02:06 PM)MCTankman Wrote:  ...I would also focus (this has been said already very often) on media (movies, pictures and music)...

Totally agree.

I have to return some videotapes.
05-21-2011, 03:16 PM
A main menu should be family oriented: movies, picture, music, settings, upnp stuff.

Now you also need a way to get into the more direct and advanced things like does this drive work, map this network share etc.. so that menu in my opinion should move to settings or some advanced menu... Something that can be locked for parental control reasons.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to accident for this post
05-21-2011, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 03:30 PM by mjasinsk.)
Colors: bad
Icons: bad
Layout: good

upsss I looked at voting results and it looks like in general people don't like it
05-21-2011, 03:34 PM
If this was some new ipad/iphone/android interface, I'd probably say I like it. For the main screen that the family needs to navigate to play a video it sucks.
05-21-2011, 04:29 PM
It doesnt look modern IMO.
I like the layout, it seems quicker than the current, but get some better looking icons Smile
05-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Please, not sure if i missed something here but dont people prefere a recently added section???? Why have a recently watched section? If you just watched something why do you need to go back to it? Unlikely!

Please add a very useful feature found in yamj "recently added" please!!
05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
(05-21-2011 04:33 PM)snakeybidder Wrote:  Why have a recently watched section? If you just watched something why do you need to go back to it? Unlikely!

Actually, I would use that daily, I tend to fall asleep when I finally sit down to watch something Smile
05-21-2011, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 05:20 PM by deh2k7.)
(05-21-2011 12:33 PM)werner Wrote:  I am here to get what users want, because I am also a user, good example is auto video resolution which is finally in development, after the great poll.

Wow Werner, seriously, they are finally going to work on native video output? This is great news.
I'm not a fan of the colors, icons or layout.

The icons reflect icons used in the computer industry and don't necessarily mean anything to non-techies. We need more intuitive icons. Colors - pretty garish too. I'd like to see nice rounded icons, with a glassy finish or something like that with a more intuitive symbol to indicate what they are for.

Layout - why not take a task-oriented approach around the activities for which the play is designed: movies, music, pictures. I personally really like Sony's x-media bar style of navigation as it makes things pretty simple and intuitive to use. It looks like the engineers sorta took that idea and then muddied it up. if you're going to emulate it, keep it simple and to the point. Have Setup, Videos, Music, and Pictures and then sub-items from there. And whatever you do, sub menu's need to keep a consist look, feel, and layout. No mixing of old and new.

Also allow users to rename and abstract sources! It's completely meaningless to anyone but the techie as to the names of hard drives and source names. Let the user configure and 'federate' the content from the various sources in the content areas (music, videos, pictures, and maybe disc) so that once it's been done you never have to dig thru individual hard drives, USB drives, network drives or directories unless you WANT to.

Please vote for Native Resolution/Framerate Sync support for the C200 - Option to disable PCH Upscaling - let your TV/AVR upscale here
05-21-2011, 05:28 PM
(05-21-2011 03:16 PM)accident Wrote:  A main menu should be family oriented: movies, picture, music, settings, upnp stuff.

That is something the designers should keep in mind. another one to follow is the simple rule of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid.)

And now while I may dislike apple nowadays, I will say they do know what families want, and do follow the rule of K.I.S.S.

If Syabas really wants to do something new with the interface, then they should look at the other competing media players/streamers interfaces. Look at how they are done.

Popcorn Hour A-210 3.5" Samsung HD204UI 2tb HDD, HDMI, CAT6
05-21-2011, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 05:50 PM by accident.)
Werner did ask for comments on how we'd like it different.. I can't draw or mockup anything but I can offer what I think I personally want and what many others I see doing here..:

- We need a menu that is family oriented, simple links to exactly what your going into. Movies, Music, Etc..
- We want to be able to modify this menu for our own needs, like calm, kdoske, some of the opening menus in jukebox skins like the Zapitti yamj skin offers to add direct links to what we want. (specific apps, multiple jukeboxes, etc).
---- some of us have weather
---- maybe we want to disable certain apps so kids can't install them but install specific ones and direct link them.
---- Make it simple, give us some type of control file where we can specify a list of buttons, icons, links, text names and read that in to make the menu.. background file, customize it.. a community developer can make a little tool to help with designing your home screen, it doesn't need to be 100% built into the firmware to modify at this point.
---- default can be nmj focused but let those of us who don't use nmj be able to say blue button is this jukebox, movies icon is the yamj library stored elsewhere.
- The ability to pincode and lock out any option that isn't for everyone in the family, like non-childrens movies.
- The ability to block direct file access which to me is step 1 to any good parental control setup.
- the ability to completely skip the main menu and launch our own menus or apps..

The new menu, the old menu, the original menu they are all fine, for the single bloke still in college or someone who wants direct file access.. No kid or wife wants to try to remember which of 9 usb drives or 2 internals a movie is on, they just want to get into movies, find something to watch and play it..
Thread Closed