Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Please vote GOOD or BAD for all Options
This poll is closed.
Colors: good 11.08% 172 11.08%
Colors: bad 22.22% 345 22.22%
Icons: good 8.05% 125 8.05%
Icons: bad 25.18% 391 25.18%
Layout: good 6.25% 97 6.25%
Layout: bad 27.24% 423 27.24%
Total 1553 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
RE: NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
(05-31-2011 07:05 PM)vagnerrondon Wrote:  I do not understand why "reinvent the wheel. "
Why create a "custom NFO.
Why create a "new interface" with dozens of existing tested and functional interfaces.
Oh my God, please take a look at the XBMC forums and learn how.
What we want: NMJ = XBMC simplified

Simple that.

Obviously XBMC is the standard everyone points to. The great skinning engine is a huge factor. There are so many options that even if you don't like the default skin you can change it to something else that works for you so everyone ends up happy. It would be nice to see similar flexibility and customization options on the current Popcorn Hour boxes but I doubt it will happen for several reasons. I think the best users can hope for right now is an improved GUI that takes clues from the best parts of different XBMC skins and incorporate some of that in a nice Popcorn Hour GUI.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2011, 01:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2011 01:40 AM by mcmillyonaire.)
It reminds of info graphics. I do like it, but I think its something that would get 'old' quickly. I do like it more than the current design, but a I think a home screen needs to look more like a media box, something that incorporates your favorite movie fanart.

06-03-2011, 02:49 PM
XBMC AEON +1
06-03-2011, 11:29 PM
All for XBMC. In fact, I hope the next gen PCH device uses the new sigma chip capable of running XBMC so PCH can focus on good, reliable, HW and act as a high qulaity transport, but leave the interface design to the very mature and experienced XBMC team.

Please vote for Native Resolution/Framerate Sync support for the C200 - Option to disable PCH Upscaling - let your TV/AVR upscale here
06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
(06-03-2011 11:29 PM)deh2k7 Wrote:  All for XBMC. In fact, I hope the next gen PCH device uses the new sigma chip capable of running XBMC so PCH can focus on good, reliable, HW and act as a high qulaity transport, but leave the interface design to the very mature and experienced XBMC team.

I'm not sure, but I think the motherboard is done by Sigma, so if PCH were to use XBMC that only leaves making the case.
I somehow doubt they will go for that. It's the software that makes the PCH units unique. Making clones at the lowest price is better done by the players in China.
06-04-2011, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 12:26 AM by chris57.)
Sigma are working with XBMC and the next generation of Sigma chips may very well have XBMC as the standard UI. Time will tell.

Back to this chip/player/UI though.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
06-04-2011, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 10:03 PM by hairball.)
(05-26-2011 11:44 AM)marocco Wrote:  
(05-25-2011 07:12 PM)plm Wrote:  
(05-24-2011 12:32 PM)hairball Wrote:  why not make it more like xmbc.
XBMC does seem to be a benchmark in in usability and functionality so I really think you guys should take a look at this to get an idea of how it could be done.

The interface is great, and unambiguous for new users, which isn't something the Popcorn Hour can claim.

...and XBMC interface has been improved more and more during these years, it's fast, "multitasking" (you can watch a movie and navigate between menus) and much better UI (it's my opinion)

Xmbc interface isone of the best one out there. Why try to make something new, when sybas have "little" experience with gui. I would look into xmbc and see what could be done better. And try to make something new with a twist of xmbc
06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Well if we wait still a little bit we will get Windows 8 on Arm Smile as per latest Balmer's announcement

that will be funny!

If this message was usefull for you please thank me.

If you have found me or my programs usefull please click on my reputation and let me know... I have a reputation to hold up
06-07-2011, 12:17 PM
nope hate it looks dull and so five years ago plz dont make us have this if you do know more updates for me.
06-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I agree:
For the Wife and Kids, I want stuff sorted by content, and I want the PCH to load straight to it from a cold boot. Make it pretty and simple.
For me, every now and then, I want to easily browse to a specific source.

At the moment I've got a custom index file with links to Kids movies, TV Shows, and older stuff archived on my NAS. It works OK (still trying to get multiple network mounts working properly). Kids Movies give me a YAMJ video wall; TV shows gives me a directory listing (too many old scooby and Dora episodes that don't populate well)

If I click "Movies", I'd love to load a movie wall that's populated across all of my sources. Ditto for Music.

For this menu; the colours are fine. icons are too square, and the layout is confusing.

(05-24-2011 05:14 PM)joe citizen Wrote:  
(05-24-2011 04:00 AM)conejo99 Wrote:  I'm afraid I'm the only one who did this, but I already divided my vidios by content.
380 kids movies on one hard drive (4TB raid),
540 Grown up movies on a different 4TB hard drive,
pre teen TV shows on the 2TB A200 hard drive
other TV shows on the 2TB C200 hard drive
documentary TV shows on the 2TB A210 hard drive
Anything that combines all video reguardless of source will clutter my searches, not help.

If the menu system is moved to a content menu (Movies, TV, Photos, Music, etc..) like many users feel it should be, you could still search your content by location with one simple click on the remote file mode button that would bring up the various locations like you currently enjoy. A new menu system doesnt have to be an either/or situation. If properly thought out a new menu system could be designed so it looks very easy to use for the wife, kids, grandparents but still provide advanced functionality that other users want.
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I haven't had the chance to try it myself but popbox seems like a move in the right direction. Why don't take the best from it? As I understand it it is the same hardware and the same company?

In popbox it seems like you are able to browse movies from different location in the same meny. One of the feutures I would like most. And it seems pretty easy to use with an ok start screen.

What do you think?
06-11-2011, 12:05 AM
(06-10-2011 02:43 PM)inseyn Wrote:  I haven't had the chance to try it myself but popbox seems like a move in the right direction. Why don't take the best from it? As I understand it it is the same hardware and the same company?

In popbox it seems like you are able to browse movies from different location in the same meny. One of the feutures I would like most. And it seems pretty easy to use with an ok start screen.

What do you think?

I believe NMJ v2 is supposed to be able to combine locations so that part should be taken care of. The real question is what the NMJ V2 source menu is going to look like and how it functions. From looking at the comments it appears most people want a very simple XBMC like content menu as the source menu. I think Syabas would benefit greatly if they treat the source menu the same way they treat the NMJ movie view mode where users can choose between 3 different view options. This way if one source menu look isn't liked, you could select a couple of other different ones. Personally I would like to see the default view similar to something like the PM3 or Confluence home screen. They are so simple that even the wife and kids can use them yet it still provides a very nice look.

[Image: pmiiihd.jpg]

[Image: confluence.jpg]

Of course you could also have a circular view option that looks similar to the current screen or a side to side view option that looks like the popular Aeon skin. It would be nice if you could also change the background images but that may be asking a bit much.
06-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I'd certainly like to be able to customise what's on the home screen too.

For example mine is used for watching stored DVD/BluRay rips that are broadly categorised into movies, tv series', and music, so I'd want to be able to go direct to these, plus BBC iPlayer.

I don't really want to have to drill into applications to get to iPlayer and then back out again to get back to the 'regular' menus.

I'd really like to see the things I actually use on the front screen and the option to drill into anything that might be used sporadically but otherwise to keep it blissfully simple.

Thoughts on Syabas support? Share them here
06-11-2011, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2011 08:09 AM by mediator.)
Sad RE: NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
I'm very surprised about this UI proposal, schocked actually Blush Undecided Sad Exclamation

UI looks complicated, dull, inconsistent and oldfashioned.

A good UI should be functional, easy to understand and explore and look clean and simple.
Goal of the UI is to control and navigate the PCH as quick and simple as possible.

I suggest to hire some real good designers.
06-11-2011, 08:11 AM
they tried that with the popbox.. Smile actually some of the popbox I do like better.
Thread Closed