Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Please vote GOOD or BAD for all Options
This poll is closed.
Colors: good 11.08% 172 11.08%
Colors: bad 22.22% 345 22.22%
Icons: good 8.05% 125 8.05%
Icons: bad 25.18% 391 25.18%
Layout: good 6.25% 97 6.25%
Layout: bad 27.24% 423 27.24%
Total 1553 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
05-20-2011, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 10:02 AM by werner.)
NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
Hi all,

here i show our new source menu, we wanna hear your opinion about it, because we have internally mixed feelings about it Rolleyes

So please Vote, as sample something like that

Colors: bad
Icons: good
Layout: bad

I would also welcome, if you don't like it, that you post a comment what you don't like.

It would be also great, if some of our great community designers show us some ideas Smile how they would create one

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users say Thank You to werner for this post
05-20-2011, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2011 11:35 PM by werner.)
RE: NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
Werner, can you slow the movie down by 100% so we can see whats going on more clearly?
Cheers.
05-20-2011, 11:36 PM
you mean i should move slower? i will make tomorrow or on Monday a longer and slower one ok
05-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi Werner,

Well, I don't know why, but that menu seems sort of confusing. I sort of like a direct approach. When you turn on the PCH, it should present you with the main options, Watch a Movie, Listen to Music, View Photos, or just take you into NMJ - maybe an option to do that could be set (hint, hint).

The 01, 02, 03 does not seem too media player-ish. It seems like it is trying to denote a do this first, then this, but in reality, you don't have to do them in that order, so it should not be a number system.

I would look more at devices like blu-ray players to see what users need to be presented with and when you hit power, it should always start in the same location - currently, it might be in a share, or a folder of the sata drive.

Personally, I really don't think that the preferences need a spotlight on them. They can be brought up by hitting the menu button - again, that's only my opinion. They should not be used that often, so the screen real estate can be given to more important things.

My goal would be for my wife to be able to use this without her getting frustrated and me having to sit down for an hour showing her how to use it. Wink

Chris

A-300 via HDMI to a Denon AVR 3311Ci. Samsung 46B750 TV.
05-21-2011, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 01:10 AM by Foxia.)
Ugh... The homescreen is ugly. How can you go with that design guys?

I think accident was right it looks like a touchscreen interface and it doesn't work that well.

Colors: The color is ok, but I'd have different colors for all of them to be honest about it.
Icons: Way to square, round them out a little bit.
Layout: Crap... Utter crap. It looks like an engineer designed it and didn't follow the Simple rule of K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple Stupid)

It looks more complex than how a menu should be! The ring style homescreen that we get as the default right now is better in design. It's old, but it's simple, and it works. The icons look like a mess when they are each not in a uniform order and you got a few (besides the highlighted one) that are bigger than the other. (Take a look of course at the DVD/CD icon)

What is so hard with trying to use a straight, only one, nicely uniformed Vertical ribbon? One that can allow users to add in there own custom images as backgrounds for each section.

Keep the main ribbon on the left side, and the recently watched/listened/viewed ribbon on the right side of the screen that only expands and brings up the poster/ cover art, fanart, details of the movie/album in the center of the screen.

Lastly flow, what flow? besides being nice and quick and running fast? theres nothing else to say.

Popcorn Hour A-210 3.5" Samsung HD204UI 2tb HDD, HDMI, CAT6
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Foxia for this post
05-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I agree with last two posts. The old round menu is easier to understand. When i first started my A-210, without looking to the manual i understood what icons meant, and it was easy for my family to learn, but the new one seems a bit confusing and when it comes to my family, it will take a long time until they learn how to use.

Its what i think Smile
05-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Only thing that I found odd, is the top-down placement, and size, of the icons. It is zig-zag, with "random" size. If you made it like it was a drum, or one-armed-bandit rotating cylinder it would work.

Otherwise, I don't use Source screen very often at all, so it is all fine.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-21-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm actually quite fond of the current design. It looks professional and when I go into the preferences, I'd rather see letter boxes with text options to the right than this new design. It looks very clumsy to me, top to bottom layout, seems like something from a cheap nmj device. There are some things you should optimize and change about the popcorn, but the preference, menu is not one of them, imho.
05-21-2011, 02:14 AM
It looks like a load of icons were found in stock image libraries in whatever colours they happened to be in and were then randomly thrown at the screen.

Nothing like the professional look of the current interface.

IMO. Cool

Thoughts on Syabas support? Share them here
05-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Stop letting engineers without kids design the main screen..
[+] 2 users say Thank You to accident for this post
05-21-2011, 04:31 AM
The symbol on the icons and colors I like. I also like the startup screen. However, like Foxia said, more round icons would look a lot better (I think).

Other then that the layout is very confusing to me. Maybe it because everything is moving so fast but even after watching the movie a few times things just don't make sense. The 01, 02, 03 numbering at the top is completely meaningless and confusing. The description of Browse, Media and Recent by itself would be more then enough. I also find the "Setup" under the "Media" category very odd; it just doesn't belong there. I could even be hidden and be available only via a pop-up menu. I definitely like the single ring menu we have today much better. I can appreciate the "Recent" category but I'm not sure if I would use it.
05-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Don't really mind as long as I can still boot directly to the movie wall, which is the only thing my wife and child understand. Don't see any use for the "Recent" column, personally, since we always finish what we start. Colours and icons are garish and not slick, respectively. Like the flow, though, since one doesn't have to wait for screen refresh all the time when moving from section to section.

TranquilPC SQA5H 10TB server w/ WHS v1 ---> Netgear GS108 switch ---> Netgear Powerline AV+ 500 Network ---> PCH C-200 w/ 8GB USB stick, Samsung 2.5" 1TB HDD & LG CH-10 BD ---> HDMI ---> Denon AVR-4810 ---> HDMI ---> Dell U3011 monitor
05-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Colours are a little loud but at least they are easy to differentiate.

Icons are poor, the HDD one looks like an old radio for example.

Layout is confusing and the screen looks cluttered.

Flow? If its speed then it looks ok, if it is does it flow from one step to the next logically no.
Also confused as to whether this is a new Sources screen for the whole of the NMT or whether it is some Sources menu introduced into just NMJ. The name makes me think the later but the video the former. Or are we now calling the NMT the NMJ?

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
05-21-2011, 07:20 AM
(05-21-2011 07:14 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Colours are a little loud but at least they are easy to differentiate.

Icons are poor, the HDD one looks like an old radio for example.

Layout is confusing and the screen looks cluttered.

Flow? If its speed then it looks ok, if it is does it flow from one step to the next logically no.
Also confused as to whether this is a new Sources screen for the whole of the NMT or whether it is some Sources menu introduced into just NMJ. The name makes me think the later but the video the former. Or are we now calling the NMT the NMJ?

Flash UI would replace old UI for everything not just NMJ its was the original goal hence the api has all the commands for settings, And yes NMT is now NMJ according to all syabas websites and docs
05-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Could your wife turn it on and use it? If the answer is no (and it is) then it needs a redesign.

It needs to be much more focussed on content, and have easier access to the jukebox feature, be that nmj or YAMJ or whatever. A startup screen with simple links to media would be what my wife would want.

[+] 5 users say Thank You to Bazrah for this post
Thread Closed