Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Please vote GOOD or BAD for all Options
This poll is closed.
Colors: good 11.08% 172 11.08%
Colors: bad 22.22% 345 22.22%
Icons: good 8.05% 125 8.05%
Icons: bad 25.18% 391 25.18%
Layout: good 6.25% 97 6.25%
Layout: bad 27.24% 423 27.24%
Total 1553 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 
NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
05-21-2011, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2011 06:00 PM by Dave_D.)
RE: NMJ V2 Source Menu whats your opinion
Personally...

If this is going to be the menu when one presses the SOURCE menu from within NMJ I would start with the design used when pressing the TITLE button during single file playback.

- simple
- intuitive.
- and already exists in current firmware in some form.

Remember it is the source button so try not to cram too much into it. Primary function is to keep user within NMJ and not have to get out of NMJ (pressing EJECT) to select a difference source and then start NMJ again. I recently bought an A200 for my parents who are in their mid 70s and what's barely keeping them from calling me night and day on how to play anything with it is the fact I kept it running NMJ only (no need to go to the rotating ring menu let alone press source).

I think I understand the goals to keep the users within NMJ so we should be able to do what we do now outside of it (Setup/USB/Network Drives/Hard Drive/NMT Apps)

Within NMJ I think the MENU button currently inside just needs to handle all we see in the old SETUP menu (Audio/Video/Network/NMT Apps/etc ec etc) because when one is through with the setup, it should be rarely touched so I'd keep those away from the SOURCE button menu.

A200 connected to 32" Samsung UA32C5000
C200 connected to Denon 1610 AVR and 42" LG 42LH50YR
Encore ENHGS-500 5 port Gigabit switch.
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2011, 05:59 PM
dave, from the discussion with werner in shoutbox before this was posted.. this may appear when you press source, but it's also the main menu of the pch when it first loads replacing the wheel.
05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
(05-21-2011 05:59 PM)accident Wrote:  dave, from the discussion with werner in shoutbox before this was posted.. this may appear when you press source, but it's also the main menu of the pch when it first loads replacing the wheel.

I see...

Speaking only for myself, I would personally like just NMJ to be the main screen on 1st boot. If there is a internal HD, it should default to that disk's NMJ so it should show the Wall/Category/List view immediately.

It's only when one presses the SOURCE button that one gets the rotating ring in a form that's shown within NMJ (Flash) so there's no need to exit NMJ at all.

I can see the challenge though...

We'll still probably need the Gaya interface for the folk who use non HD displays.

A200 connected to 32" Samsung UA32C5000
C200 connected to Denon 1610 AVR and 42" LG 42LH50YR
Encore ENHGS-500 5 port Gigabit switch.
05-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Colors = good
Icons = good
The both due to the fact that I do not mind how it looks. If I can differentiate I'm fine. Gray background is good and the colorful (whatever color) is fine as well.

Layout = BAD
Maybe only due to the way how presented in the video, but looks to be very confusing. I have to agree with all who prefer simplicity.

In general I'm a fan of changes, but I hope this will get tuned a bit.
05-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Im going to hold off on my opinion unitl im actually playing with it and i get the family to play around with it, after all they use the NMTs more than i do.

PCH A-200 16GB USB -> HDMI -> Samsung LN46A650 | A200 -> Toslink -> Logitech Z-5500 (Harmony 700)
PCH C-200 8GB USB -> HDMI -> Sharp LC46D64U (Harmony 550)
Eversion Whisper eskin + WHS V1 (25TB Q6600/4GB RAM ) -> Mediasonic HR82-SU3S2 (Backup)
D-Link DNS 323 for sale
05-21-2011, 10:49 PM
It's funny, cos my wife hates the PCH cos she can't understand how to work it - and she's not at all stupid; quite the opposite.
This new menu would not help that situation at all.

If the PCH platforms are designed to be 'consumer' devices, then like many have said, they need to be able to be operted by 'normal' consumers, and not just by us geeks with too much time on our hands Smile

Obviously, there is a degree of configuration required with a box like this, and a certain knowledge of whats required to do this, but my wife could buy a MAC and make it work without reading the manual. Thats the direction any good UI should be heading - if its not intuitive, then its not well designed.

This proposed menu is not intuitive so gets my thumbs down.
05-22-2011, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 12:14 AM by Timmaes.)
Like the other nmj, but it works like crap on my pch c200.. No subtitles and lots of other things that dosnt work when playing ISOs
(05-22-2011 12:10 AM)Timmaes Wrote:  Like the other nmj, but it works like crap on my pch c200.. No subtitles and lots of other things that dosnt work when playing ISOs

I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY MY MOVIES DOSNT WORK PROBERLY IN NMJ WHEN IT WORKS IN THE STANDARD JUKEBOX.
05-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Colors for Icons are OK. I think the USB, Hard Disk, and Optical Disc Icons should be improved.
Maybe use the ones that are on the default NMT Gui.

The layout and how it flows reminds my of Sonys PS3 Cross bar. Its good. I hope there can be an option for the gui to hide unused/unwanted Icons like: My Apps and Apps Market.

I'm really hoping the database with this new NMJ v2 can handle
multiple NFS shares networked fron Mac OS X via NFS Manager.
05-22-2011, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 04:57 AM by joe citizen.)
Its a bad design unless you want to limit your market to techies. Way too much stuff going on and not very intuitive at all. As has already been pointed out, how many kids or girlfriends/wives would be able to pick up the remote and easily use it? Its a jumbled mess. User interfaces need to be kept as simple as possible. Please remember the KISS principle when designing. What users need to see on the main menu is icons with labels for movies, TV, music, photos, internet and perhaps a videos icon for non movie/tv stuff like home videos. If you go putting a bunch of other stuff like submenus and different feature options or settings it just gets way too complicated for your average user. If there is a submenu or setting that you want users to have access to it should be done by pressing the menu key on the remote. Take all the extra stuff off the TV screen where its not needed and just adds to clutter. Most users dont ever deal with those things anyway and for users that do, it is still very easily accessed with one click on the remote. Make the on screen menus as simple as possible
05-22-2011, 02:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 05:02 AM by cmazz.)
Whatever the new interface is, I hope it will still allow me to browse my disks for media I want to play like the current non NMJ interface does. I don't plan on using the flashy media wall interface. Keeping it simple for me means browsing for and playing what I want like I would with a Windows PC. It would also be nice if the music playback screen gets a makeover.

A-400 -> HDMI -> Emotiva UMC-1 -> HDMI -> Samsung UN32EH5000
A-400 -> Component/RCA -> Samsung UN32EH5000 for use with only TV Speakers
D-Link DIR-655, D-Link DGS-1024D Gigabit Switch, QNAP TS-659 Pro II, TS-419P+
C-200 not currently hooked up.
05-22-2011, 05:40 AM
(05-22-2011 02:45 AM)cmazz Wrote:  Keeping it simple for me means browsing for and playing what I want like I would with a Windows PC.

Why buy a media player that functions just like a PC. Why not just use a PC?

In any event I do agree with you and think there needs a file browser in order to save stuff from one device to another or to use the Popcorn Hour like you described. If I were designing the UI I would map the file brower to the file mode button and use a different button like a-b to bring up the "add file to list" option. Then again I'm not the designer so what I say has little bearing on how the UI is designed. I just think it needs to be greatly simplified and could be done so fairly easily without compromising features.
05-22-2011, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 06:35 AM by cmazz.)
(05-22-2011 05:40 AM)joe citizen Wrote:  
(05-22-2011 02:45 AM)cmazz Wrote:  Keeping it simple for me means browsing for and playing what I want like I would with a Windows PC.

Why buy a media player that functions just like a PC. Why not just use a PC?

In any event I do agree with you and think there needs a file browser in order to save stuff from one device to another or to use the Popcorn Hour like you described. If I were designing the UI I would map the file brower to the file mode button and use a different button like a-b to bring up the "add file to list" option. Then again I'm not the designer so what I say has little bearing on how the UI is designed. I just think it needs to be greatly simplified and could be done so fairly easily without compromising features.

I like to think I have my media well organized for simply browsing and picking what I like to play. I don't say to myself "Hmm let's browse the wall of media and see what I want to watch or play" I go there knowing what I want to play and browse to play it.

I'm all for a nicer looking interface but I didn't care for the first incarnation of the NMJ on the C-200 and a HTPC is out of the question as I don't want to maintain another PC just for playing media.

If the interface stayed the way it is now on the C-200, I would still be fine with it as it does what it's supposed to do and I think it does it pretty well now that the firmware has matured.

BTW it would seem HDI is also implementing a new interface for their products as well. I kinda like the look.
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showpost.ph...stcount=18

A-400 -> HDMI -> Emotiva UMC-1 -> HDMI -> Samsung UN32EH5000
A-400 -> Component/RCA -> Samsung UN32EH5000 for use with only TV Speakers
D-Link DIR-655, D-Link DGS-1024D Gigabit Switch, QNAP TS-659 Pro II, TS-419P+
C-200 not currently hooked up.
05-22-2011, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2011 06:38 AM by geekuix.)
Colors=good
Icons=good
Layout=bad

NMT: PCH-C200 - HDMI Chord Silver Plus - DNM Solid Core Cinch Interconnect - Signal Cable Silver Ref Digital Coax
Pioneer VSX-921K Receiver - DAC Asus Xonar Essence One - Focal Sib & SW 700V Sub 5.1
LG TV 42SL9000 - 19Tb Nas Server - Xindak XF2000 Power Conditioner
Firmware: 03-04-120607-21-POP-408 (Public RC) (6.7.2012)
05-22-2011, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2011 08:11 AM by rane.)
Colors: Ok
Icons: Bad
Layout: very bad

I havent read all posts in detail so far, but being a webdesigner myself I can partly understand the thinking behind designing this kinda layout. It's more modern and simplified which many ppl prefer nowadays BUT....it simply doesnt work in this case. What bothers me the most is columns with the icons of random size and placement. There's no logical hierachy at all. Icons arent very telling either.

If i were to design a NMJ GUI, i would go in the same direction as the UMJ, YAMJ and XBMC layouts. The primary goal IMO is to create a userfriendly GUI with as much information as possible without it getting cluttered - and here the above-mentioned layouts are doing SO much better than PCH are. I never liked the NMJ v1 flash jukebox either as it was too confusing as well, altho "smart and fancy" flash menus which often arent necessary.

IMO...instead of spending so much time on NMJ interface and other features...why not spend time on the most-missed feature/bug/whatever in the current PCH software: Automatic share-mounting so you can actually make custom movie jukeboxes work with MULTIPLE network shares? Im quite certain you dont have to spend many hours on fixing that thing since ive seen other users getting it to work inserting auto-mounting commands in some startup file. Because...whats the point of having a movie jukebox if you cant make it work with different multiple shares? This is my ONLY reason for not using any jukeboxes still.....:/
05-22-2011, 08:41 AM
The current layout now, is PERFECT. Maybe a few options to change the layout in the prefs, but I like it because it's simplistic and good looking in nature. Someone pointed out the success of Apple's products. Simplistic, easy to navigate and it looks good. That's what we want. When I turn on the current popcornhour - people are always impressed with the initial startup and layout..even more so when they see YAMJ. Just like my daddy always said, "if it ain't broke - don't fix it!"
Thread Closed