Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
no way to view one photo at a time??
06-12-2011, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 03:56 PM by canadave.)
no way to view one photo at a time??
OK, you've got to be kidding me here Rolleyes

I have a thousand photos on my NAS that I want to go through with my family. All I want to be able to do is view a photo from the list on Popcorn Hour, let it sit there on the TV without moving while we talk about it a minute or two or whatever, then press a button to immediately view the next photo in the list. Am I reading correctly, seriously, that there is no way to do this? That I'm forced to either a) use a slideshow, or (b) press STOP when I'm done viewing a picture and back out to the list, arrow down to the next photo in the list, and press ENTER?

Popcorn Hour A-210 + Denon AVR-791 receiver + Samsung LNT-5265f 52" TV (HDMI connections among all)
Synology DS411+ NAS w/two 2TB drives
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 06:32 PM by chris57.)
RE: no way to view one photo at a time??
Which player? Assuming A210 so moved to that section.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
06-13-2011, 05:03 AM
(06-12-2011 06:32 PM)chris57 Wrote:  Which player? Assuming A210 so moved to that section.

Yes, sorry, it's a 210. I assumed the issue was the same for all Popcorn Hour devices.

Popcorn Hour A-210 + Denon AVR-791 receiver + Samsung LNT-5265f 52" TV (HDMI connections among all)
06-13-2011, 05:31 AM
No the 200 series has different abilities, there is no slideshow for one on the 100 series.

I dont use it myself for photos but now th thread is in the correct section others should chip in.

CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
the only solution i could suggest is to parameter the time for slideshow with a very long time and press next when you will be in the slideshow to skip to the next photo before the end of the timer selected - to enter the slideshow press play rather then enter

i don't remember if 0 is permitted
06-13-2011, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2011 08:24 PM by Swen.)
Can't check it now but once you start the slideshow, can't you press 'pause' once and then use the 'Next' button to scroll through the pictures? If my memory serves me right, it won't automatically start the slideshow again on the next picture but waits till you press a button for a next action (next, previous, play, ...). Not sure though...

EDIT: just checked, doesn't work. After pressing next, the slideshow restarts...
06-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes, this definitely needs to be looked at in subsequent firmware releases IMHO. There is no way to finagle the slideshow so that it lets you advance one photo at a time.

It's incredible to me, really, that this functionality doesn't already exist.

06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
What happens when you put your photos in a folder and then press play on the first file? Does that not go through all of the photos and you can press pause on each photo freezing it for as long or short as you like?

06-15-2011, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2011 03:02 AM by Manic_D.)
I just got an A-210 & this worked (pausing & then manually going forward or backward without resuming the slideshow) when I first tried it. After either updating the firmware or installing NMJ, it stopped working.
So hopefully it is just an oversight/bug with the current firmware/software and it can be fixed. It is a really basic photo viewing feature that should be included.
06-15-2011, 08:50 AM
I really dont use photos, can someone upload a few and give me the run down on the exact problem, what used to work etc. Then I'll report it on Syabas's Mantis Bug reporting system.

06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
(06-15-2011 08:50 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I really dont use photos, can someone upload a few and give me the run down on the exact problem, what used to work etc. Then I'll report it on Syabas's Mantis Bug reporting system.

Thanks--I will test it again in a bit and write up a detailed report for you.

06-17-2011, 04:59 PM
OK--I've just done some more testing.

When you run a slideshow by hitting PLAY, you can indeed PAUSE it and then hit PLAY again to continue. However, the problem here is: let's say you have hundreds photos in an album (as I do, and as may be very likely after a long vacation). If you want to go through most of them quickly, but pause on a few of them, the only way to do it currently is to hit PLAY and wait for it to go through the slideshow, and then hit PAUSE as needed. You could set the slideshow to have a very short delay, of course (say: 1 second), and that would help go through the pictures more quickly; but then you don't really have time to see the pictures as they go through.

Better (and more intuitive) would be if you could PAUSE the photo slideshow and then FAST FORWARD to the next photo in the list by pressing a FAST FORWARD button. Or, just have an alternative to "slideshow", and simply set things up so that you can view a single photo, and then press a FAST FORWARD button (or similar) to go to the next photo.

That's really it in a nutshell--photo viewing on Popcorn Hour is lacking a "go to next photo" button.

06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
If you move down to the photo you want and then press 'play' it should play from that photo on.

If you press play on the first photo then it should play every file in the folder.

If you are in NMJ then you can create a playlist including folders and files.

Does the |>> button not work when you use 'play' to start playing your photo's.

Going to have a play myself when I get some time.

06-22-2011, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-22-2011 05:29 PM by canadave.)
Hi Chris, I'd certainly appreciate any testing you can do as well.

I'm not sure what you were asking in your last post. If I go to the list of photos, select one, and hit PLAY, it does indeed show that photo and all subsequent photos. The problem is that there's no good way to simply view ONE photo, talk the photo over with friends and family watching, and then proceed to the NEXT photo. There is no "go to next photo" button.

Please re-read my last post carefully. There is a subtle (but very important) difference between the type of photo viewing that I think you're picturing (no pun intended) and the type I'm talking about.

Maybe it would help if I explained in some detail what I'm trying to do, and what the issues I'm running into are:

My wife and I just got back from a European vacation where I took about 1,000 photos. A friend of mine wants to see them, since she's never been to Europe but has always dreamed of it.

To show her the photos, I'll start with the first photo, and press PLAY. The first photo will appear, and the slideshow of photos will begin.

The point is that I can't vary the amount of delay in the slideshow. If I set the delay too short (say, 1 second), then we won't have time to look at the photo as long as we'd like to. I suppose I could hit PAUSE really quickly if we wanted to chat about a photo ("oh, neat hotel in this photo, was it near the Thames?"), but that would get awkward--I'd need very good reflexes and timing to PAUSE the slideshow in time. Inevitably I'd miss one, have to pause...and then how do you "go back to the last photo" other than backing out to the menu, moving up one, going back in, etc? Try doing that 20 times, and it'll get annoying.

On the other hand, if the slideshow delay is set much longer (say, 6 seconds), then there's certainly plenty of time to view each photo. And with that long a delay, I can certainly easily PAUSE the slideshow any time I want to and talk over each photo at our leisure. But then, how long will it take to get through 1,000 photos?? There will be some photos, or even groups of photos, that will be incredibly boring, and we'll want to be able to quickly zip through those and not have to wait 6 seconds for each one to appear and disappear in turn.

Instead, I'd want to be able to either PAUSE the slideshow, or FAST FORWARD to the next photo quickly so that if I want to, I can go through a whole bunch of photos quickly.

This is the way it should work: I should be able to go into a list of photos, pick one, and press ENTER/OK to display the photo, without viewing as a slideshow. I should then be able to hit FAST-FORWARD (or some similar button) to view the NEXT photo in the list. I should also be able to hit the REVERSE button (or similar) to view the PREVIOUS photo in the list. I would then be able to proceed through the photos as quickly, or as slowly, as I'd like. Done looking at one photo? Then just press a button to bring up the next one. Simple.

Instead, I'm stuck with either doing a slideshow (along with all the issues with that which I've pointed out), OR stuck viewing a photo, backing out to the list, selecting and viewing the next photo, backing out to the list, rinse, repeat.

Apologies for the lengthy post...I hope we're not talking at cross-purposes a bit here, and that I've clearly explained the issues that need to be addressed.

09-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I could not agree more that this is a major flaw that needs to be addressed. I want to be able to flip through my photos one at a time like an album, without that basic functionality no one will sit and watch the pictures with me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  C-200 Photo resize problem xray80 0 326 02-04-2014 05:25 PM
Last Post: xray80
  [Photo] How to use the C200 for photo? Micki 1 527 10-18-2013 06:55 PM
Last Post: Ruben Rocha
  Video-file in the middle of some photo-files: trouble with recognition Repelstale 2 1,703 11-26-2012 09:47 PM
Last Post: Repelstale
  photo's on blu-ray player are not visible.(DVD) marco van der drift 0 544 07-31-2012 06:14 PM
Last Post: marco van der drift
  Photo's taken with iPhone 4S Repelstale 7 1,710 07-09-2012 09:02 PM
Last Post: plm
  IS it possible to view photo's and play sound? wbree 1 946 01-23-2012 10:58 AM
Last Post: Lach
  Photo Preview not showing up! cap2587 1 698 12-31-2011 04:22 PM
Last Post: cap2587
  Browsing through photo's more efficiently Repelstale 0 532 11-20-2011 02:42 PM
  Scrolling quickly through photo's Repelstale 1 775 11-16-2011 09:48 AM
  WAV file run time question needlesbox 5 1,558 10-05-2011 03:17 AM
Last Post: needlesbox