Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Streaming movies from NAS to iPad... through Popcorn hour? otherwise?
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Streaming movies from NAS to iPad... through Popcorn hour? otherwise?
I would like to play my media files from my NAS on my iPad. I’ve downloaded several apps to do so (Buzz player, File browser, Airplayer), Buzz player being the best. But I have trouble streaming moviefiles to my iPad: the images are stuttering at best, both downloaded (.avi) movies and home movies (.mov or .mp4).

Is there perhaps a better way to send the mediafiles to the iPad from my Synology NAS, perhaps using the Popcorn C-200?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
RE: Streaming movies from NAS to iPad... through Popcorn hour? otherwise?
have you tried Oplayer HD ???
06-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Going to be trying a similar thing myself tonight from a QNAP NAS.

Have heard great things about an iPad app called "OPlayer HD" (I installed the Lite version to test) which looks very similar to the Buzz Player.

Suggesting using the C200 as a source for streaming to the iPad seems to me like it would only introduce another point of failure, the issue is more likely to be wireless network throughput stability.

QNAP TS-219P+ 3Tb RAID1 - C-200 & A-300 - HDMI
06-17-2011, 04:56 PM
(06-17-2011 04:38 PM)RobJStuart Wrote:  The issue is more likely to be wireless network throughput stability.

The problem seems to be the capacity of the iPad (1), since my Acer laptop can play the files from my NAS wirelessly without any problems.

I was just wondering if it might be possible to send the output signal from the Popcorn Hour C200 to the iPad somehow, so the iPad doesn't have to "play" anything, just show what's being streamed. But maybe that's a utopia.

There's lots of different Mediaplayers for iPad. I'll give Oplayer another look. Thought I'd tried it before and didn't like it back then, so I don't have high hopes that this thing will do what all the others failed to.
06-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I have downloaded OPlayer, but, contrary to all the aforementioned mediaplayers, it doesn't seem to recognise my network. I just get options "My documents, URL or webbrowser". On the screenshots from the Appstore I can see networks being recognised.

How to get OPlayer working?Huh
06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
i use Air Video, but server is on pc (where NAS is mounted)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-21-2011, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2011 01:40 PM by Repelstale.)
Okay, so there are different mediaplayers for iPad, plenty as a matter of fact. Like I mentioned, I already own Airplayer and Buzzplayer, pretty good ones regarding the reviews. Not really looking forward to downloading every single one (and paying for them) just to give them all a try. I doubt if there's a superior player out there that streams much faster than all the others. Of course, I'd be glad to hear from someone who's absolutely positively one hundred percent sure he or she has discovered the ultimate streaming player, though.

I wonder if anybody else experiences glitchy streaming from NAS to original iPad, and if anybody knows if this has to do with the capacity of the iPad, or perhaps with the protocol being used. And finally, if there's a way to make things smoother (like getting the output signal from the Popcorn Hour)
07-10-2011, 08:32 PM
So, I just had a major breakthrough in getting my NAS-PCH combination to work properly. Big Grin http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...#pid497077

Only goal left to achieve: to stream stuff to my iPad. Tried a lot of players, but they all pretty much suck at streaming movie files directly to my iPad. As I said before, the image is stuttering at best. Undecided

In CSI I found this app, I think it was called Airplay, that allows you to play files from your iPad on the PCH. I find this a bit silly Undecided, because who in their right mind would use an iPad as a storage device for movies? Rolleyes

The other way around would make a lot more sense to me: getting stuff from your PCH played on your iPad, so you can watch a movie sitting by the pool in your backyard, in bed etc. etc. Tongue

Does anybody know if there is or will be an app that could do that: stream the output signal from the PCH to an iPad ?Huh
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I got a similiar problem. I got a IPad 2 and a PCH A210 and using the Airplayer app.
When I start the app It finds NAS popcorn Hour and all My moviefiles, but when I wanna start they just shuts Down directly or after a second.

Anyone who knows what i'm doing wrong or forgot to do? Would appreciate any tips.
08-29-2011, 11:57 PM
(07-10-2011 08:32 PM)Repelstale Wrote:  In CSI I found this app, I think it was called Airplay, that allows you to play files from your iPad on the PCH. I find this a bit silly Undecided, because who in their right mind would use an iPad as a storage device for movies? Rolleyes

The other way around would make a lot more sense to me: getting stuff from your PCH played on your iPad, so you can watch a movie sitting by the pool in your backyard, in bed etc. etc. Tongue

Does anybody know if there is or will be an app that could do that: stream the output signal from the PCH to an iPad ?Huh

I have a C-200 and would love to get feature working on my ipad2 , anymore news on this ?
BRIAN
10-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Guys

You should check out viPlay, thats what i use on the iPad (3). Really good app and allows streaming from PCH. The only app, i have found to be stable and reliable.

Cheers

Amit
12-03-2012, 04:33 AM
(10-27-2012 05:10 PM)amit08 Wrote:  Guys

You should check out viPlay, thats what i use on the iPad (3). Really good app and allows streaming from PCH. The only app, i have found to be stable and reliable.

Cheers

Amit

You can try Explayer, it's kool Smile Tongue
12-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Power Player really rocks on HD MKV's...best I've tried so far.
12-14-2012, 12:10 AM
You can try
02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
as someone's already said, try Air Video. It runs on the PC and the PC does all the conversion. Works perfectly. If you mount your popcorn as a drive on your PC I see no reason why it wouldn't stream from your popcorn as well as local media.

Bob
A-100 and A-200.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Popcorn C-300 as UPNP renderer odysseus 1 1,329 02-10-2014 06:07 AM
Last Post: odysseus
  Streaming from Enigma 2 Satellite Boxes. deron 0 509 01-24-2014 12:26 PM
Last Post: deron
  Streaming from C-200 to LG HDTV via DLNA - uPNP TXPilot69 11 8,207 06-04-2013 03:40 PM
Last Post: miralda40
  [A300] Internet Live Streaming rd48sec 2 1,265 03-10-2013 10:43 PM
Last Post: rd48sec
  Interesting DLNA app (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) caduceus 4 27,608 02-05-2013 12:12 PM
Last Post: raju82
  initiating play using an external device e.g. ipad doubledrat 0 897 02-05-2013 10:31 AM
Last Post: doubledrat
Question My PCH and IPAD or DROID? Which one? dbuk44 8 5,915 08-25-2012 07:19 PM
Last Post: accident
  a problem with sopcast streaming to A110 rozroz 1 1,531 06-25-2012 11:43 AM
Last Post: Atinkler
  200 series and live streaming and llink sugatam 3 2,130 05-06-2012 12:59 AM
Last Post: lundman
Question custom web site to load movies jriemer 4 1,420 03-14-2012 12:03 AM
Last Post: lundman