Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ultra Violet Service
10-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Ultra Violet Service
Website

Some industry comments
HiDef Digest
Extreme Tech
Pocket-lint

Anybody heard about this? Any thought on Popcorn integration?

The blurb seems too good to be true as, personally, it appears to answer all the demands that (I) have been sprouting for years.

Really interested in thoughts from other members, and anybody from Syabys if they care to comment (officially or unofficially)

C200 + 500GB (Apps Only)x3
A200 + 160GB (Apps Only)x3
A300 + 2TB (Networked + Separate Jukebox)
A400 + 2TB (Networked + Separate Jukebox)
Main Display = C200ir Passthorugh(HDMI) + Denon 4810 + Samsung UA75F8000
Other Displays = Downmix (HDMI/RGB/RCA)
Wired Network = Dell PowerConnect 5548 + Synology RS3411xs
Content = NAS + SMB Shares
BD Rips = DVDFab + BDMVs
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-25-2011, 06:40 AM
RE: Ultra Violet Service
I have been keeping an eye on it and have a user name setup already. the first disc came out this month but no players yet. Its one of them hold and see how it goes.
10-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Hmm, USA only and you cannot add content to it only UltraViolet purchases.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
10-26-2011, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2011 06:29 AM by halfelite.)
Its not USA only. Its world wide with some restrictions
10-26-2011, 06:43 AM
Strange I tried to sign-up and the only Country option was United States.

When I looked at the partners though I did see Tesco Entertainment though which is UK.

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
10-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Sign up just opened so I bet they are still working on it. The green lantern was first UV movie.
10-26-2011, 08:05 AM
hmmm the service also sounds very scary.... especially the DRM part .... i think there is the issue why it is USA only.

In europe they have todo something with privacy and so far i read they want too share what you watch with all movie company's.
It sounds really scary if you are forced too use it on your offline bluray disc player ....
10-26-2011, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2011 08:13 AM by halfelite.)
This is how it works. When you buy a bluray in the store with th UV sticker on it there is a code inside. You type that code into your UV profile and you can then access the digital copy of said movie from any devices that supports UV. So to say there is privacy issues is strange as if you watch something online owned by a studio they will know what you watch anyways if you are legally watching it.

So its no difference then love film or what not.
10-26-2011, 01:23 PM
What i did read was the fact that when i do not want too use the UV system you must use or the movie on the disc would not play ... here is the privacy issue. you must have the disc online you can not use it offline .... It is like steam but you can always buy a game in a normal copy and use it offline except for the few evil DRM's.

so you have an offline disc that can only be played when you need too enter it online.
10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
no the disc will always play like any normal hard copy. It will play in any bluray player even if not connected to the web.
10-26-2011, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2011 11:11 PM by K1LL3M.)
The Country limitation is apparently only going to be on streaming (see below). I signed up using the "America" country figuring I can change it later when they sort that, so there is no country checks

Trying to answer my own questions, some of the info I read below may answer some of the issues mentioned here. If you read through the FAQs and follow additional links, it appears to do pretty well to answer questions.

In may not be perfect, but it seems to be a huge step in the right direction by industry. I am feeling like I am advertising this crap but if the fluff matches the fact, they may finally be getting it and I'm keen if that truly is the case.

Especially
-Downloading HD copies
-Re-downloading if something happends, so not backup concerns
-Playable on up to 12 registered devices. that covers by place. I am guessing this is the one that will depend on compatible devices and be the major decider if this really is the answer, I dont want to have to repurchase stuff just to satisfy another new (read any)DRM.

On the main page,
Stream to any internet-connected device, including cable/satellite set-top boxes
Download for offline viewing, including full HD copies

In the FAQs
Can I add previously purchased movies and TV shows to my UltraViolet account? Not at this time; however, UltraViolet was designed to support this feature, so if movie/TV studios and/or retailers choose to make such "upgrade" offers available, you'll be able to easily add existing titles to your UltraViolet Account.

Do I need to purchase special equipment to use UltraViolet? No! You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Library. However, devices will be marketed that are optimized to work with UltraViolet right out of the box, and you may be interested in making such a feature one of your "checklist" items when buying new devices.

Can I make backup copies of UltraViolet movies?
Yes! With UltraViolet, because you can stream and download additional copies, it's like having an online, cloud-based back-up that is built in to each movie or TV show in your collection.

Can I make an extra physical / disc copy?
In many cases your UltraViolet rights allow for a physical copy to be made along with your digital purchase. For more details on your UltraViolet Rights, click here.

Does UltraViolet work worldwide? UltraViolet has made viewing UltraViolet content around the globe as easy as possible. Streaming rights may not be available in a given geography, but you can download your content to be able to watch it wherever you and your devices may be.

C200 + 500GB (Apps Only)x3
A200 + 160GB (Apps Only)x3
A300 + 2TB (Networked + Separate Jukebox)
A400 + 2TB (Networked + Separate Jukebox)
Main Display = C200ir Passthorugh(HDMI) + Denon 4810 + Samsung UA75F8000
Other Displays = Downmix (HDMI/RGB/RCA)
Wired Network = Dell PowerConnect 5548 + Synology RS3411xs
Content = NAS + SMB Shares
BD Rips = DVDFab + BDMVs

[-]
Quick Reply

Smilies
:) ;) :cool: :D
:P :rolleyes: :shy: :(
:lightbulb: :angry: :-/ (A)
:heart: :dodgy: :blush: :huh:
:my: :sleepy: :exclamation: :S
[get more]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Repair service is worthless!! Sneaky102 15 3,555 01-25-2012 09:43 AM
Last Post: Willem53
Wink Thanks to Syabas for excellent service! eddy123 1 1,430 01-06-2011 01:46 PM
Last Post: dc11ab
Sad Poor RMA service rescued by Syabas eddy123 14 3,836 01-06-2011 01:41 PM
Last Post: dc11ab
Exclamation Courier service choice for Italy popcornhoursales 1 1,652 05-06-2009 08:54 PM
Last Post: SxM
  Why does Popcorn Hour provide such customer service? alexfsu 4 1,936 09-16-2008 10:57 PM
Last Post: alexfsu