Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Totlally ignorant concerning NAS enclosures
10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Totlally ignorant concerning NAS enclosures
Hi,

Sorry in advance if this is totally a newbie question about NAS enclosures, but do any of these enclosures go to sleep if not being accessed? For instance, if my PCH is off, will the network drives go to sleep...and awake when I turn on my PCH? For that matter, do they work that way with any PC connected to the network. I have no experience with these things.

As you can see in my sig, I'm using a Mediasonic 4-bay USB enclosure and it works perfectly (sleep/awake) when connected directly attached to my PCH. Since I've got my PCH working well, I'm thinking about getting a couple more of them. But I don't relish the idea of having my movie drives running 24/7. Thanks for any advice. Peace, BJMoose

Popcorn Hour C-200
Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2\ 4 Hitachi 2tb - NTFS
Tivo Premiere Elite
Denon AVR-3312CI Receiver - Airplay
Sony Playstation 3
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2011, 09:32 PM
RE: Totlally ignorant concerning NAS enclosures
I'm sure someone will chime in with a more pertinent answer, but most of the NAS's as opposed to DAS (Direct Attached Storage) do have a sleep mode that will spin drives down when not in use.

However, what I've found with my NAS is that I use it for a lot more stuff now (Web Site, backups, etc) which can prevent the drives from spinning down

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Omertron for this post
10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a Synology NAS and the HDD's go into hibernate when its not being accessed.

You do have to think about what you want to run from your NAS though, if you have a torrent downloading app then it will be on 24/7 unless you schedule it.

Done a WIKI Synology NAS guide:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i..._NAS_setup

A400: SD Card(Apps), HDMI C200: USB(Apps), BD ROM (SH-B083L(SB01)), HDMI
CAT6 Wired Network: TV Panasonic TX-P42G20, HP ProCurve 1400-8G, Netgear GS-608/605, Synology CS407
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
10-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Buddy_away RE: Totlally ignorant concerning NAS enclosures
Hey Omertron and Chris,

Thanks for your replies. For right now, this would only be to stream music, video and photos from one location to PCH's in different rooms. I've been looking at the Synology DS411+II and I like the fact that it offers such a variety of raid choices along with basic and JBOD.

Chris, I will be using your tutorial to get things set up. Peace, BJMoose

Popcorn Hour C-200
Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2\ 4 Hitachi 2tb - NTFS
Tivo Premiere Elite
Denon AVR-3312CI Receiver - Airplay
Sony Playstation 3
10-31-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a DS411j and are very happy with it. It hibernates the internal drive as well as an attached external USB. It can just take about a minute at the most for them to spin up when you turn on your pch.

PCH C-200 - No HDD - No Apps >>>> 100mb Network >>>> Synology DS-411J 4Tb >>>> Pioneer VSX-818V 5.1 surround via optical >>>> Sony Bravia W series 46"
Dali Speakers
PS3 (for BlueRay) via wireless
Calm Theme > Yamj > Music Jukebox 8.2

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any recommendations for 4bay external HD enclosures? heathramos 3 1,282 04-16-2013 06:59 PM
Last Post: heathramos