Firmware: A-410 [01 Apr. 2014] | A-400 [12 Mar. 2014] | C-300 [13 Feb. 2014] | A-300 [24 Feb. 2014] | C-200 [11 July 2013] | A-200/A-210 [11 July 2013] | Popbox V8 [3 Dec 2013]

Just got your NMT | WIKI has the answers | Search the forum | Forum Rules/Policy | Firmware & Official NMT News | Popcornhour manuals

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[NMJ v2] NMJ2 Not particularly robust?
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
NMJ2 Not particularly robust?
Hi all.

I have just had to do a fourth rescan in 10 days due to some problem with the NMT, NMJ or its database. I have also done a complete reset.

All I am doing is renaming files and updating NMJ, in order to resolve any inaccuracies - well, as many as possible before I get stuck in with NMJ2T. On four occasions now, NMJ has not run after an update but taken me directly to NMJ Manager with only options for scanning available for selection. When confronted with this, I have scanned again, to no avail.

If I check the database with NMJ2T, it opens and looks fine. If I replace the database with a backup, it still won't open.

I have no choice but to undertake yet another 12hr re-scan.

I am at a loss as to what is going wrong here. While I have used NMJ2Toolbox to open the database for viewing, and to change images, apart from the first occasion, I have not done any real editing at this time. Nor are any similar problems reported in the NMJ2T thread. So I don't suspect any edits there as causing problems.

NMJ2 just doesn't seem particularly robust if a standard procedure such as an update or scan can corrupt it in some way. I query the point of methodically backing up the database, when, if you restore it, it won't open. (I am just copying the db over the old one - do I need do anything else?)

Anyone encountered anything like this? Any advice gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Allan

ps. after spending many days on this, I've pretty much had enough of NMJ2, prefer the reliability and control of MLMJ.......bring back html functionality!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
RE: NMJ2 Not particularly robust?
Couple things are you accessing NMJ over NFS and usually a good way to bring back a dead sqllite db is to dump it to a new file.

echo .dump | sqlite old.db | sqlite new.db

you can download the sqllite tool here http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-3_5_6.zip
on windows it would be something like

C:\sqlite3.exe c:\pch.db .dump | c:\sqlite3.exe c:\newpch.db
01-05-2012, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 12:57 AM by bigkid.)
(01-05-2012 12:10 AM)halfelite Wrote:  Couple things are you accessing NMJ over NFS and usually a good way to bring back a dead sqllite db is to dump it to a new file.

echo .dump | sqlite old.db | sqlite new.db

you can download the sqllite tool here http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-3_5_6.zip
on windows it would be something like

C:\sqlite3.exe c:\pch.db .dump | c:\sqlite3.exe c:\newpch.db

Thanks for responding halfelife.

Not NFS, I'm using samba. Are you suggesting changing to NFS?

The sqlite suggestion sounds like a bit of a learning curve. I'll have a look but may take a little time to get back.

Thanks again.

a
01-05-2012, 01:01 AM
no NFS and sqllite can cause issues its why i asked
01-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Oh, OK thanks halfelite.

Typical of this software's unreliability, I have to rescan yet again. All I have done today is rename some media files and scanned the media folder in order to improve NMJ's hit rate. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. After doing this 4 times - with little improvement, I might add - every time I now go to run NMJ it takes me to NMJ Manager with the only options being to Scan All, Update or Re-scan (plus go to Source or Scan options). I tried Update, and Scan All, after each of which I can get into the database, but on restarting NMJ again, it takes me back into Manager with the same options. This is pretty much unworkable.

I just checked the db via NMJToolbox and I can see that the last changes made to file names have not been reflected in the db, irrespective that the scanning proceded without hiccup. It paused at each of the renamed files and appeared to download data, before subsequently completing. If an error is occurring here you would expect some sort of error report, but no it finishes happily and tauntingly tempts me with the option to go to NMJ, which will work for that instance, but not again.

Is this thing a beta product?

Allan
01-06-2012, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2012 12:06 AM by bigkid.)
And another excellent result from NMJ. 18 hours of scanning, giving all appearances of working, downloading images, the db itself growing to 6MB, yet, 'No Content Found' when opening in NMJ and no entries visible in NMJToolbox2. Another reset and start again I suppose.
01-07-2012, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 10:29 AM by bigkid.)
O.K narrowed down what may be contributing to the problem, well, one of them.

I have been working on a number of series that NMJ has made a mess of, say by spreading a number of episodes from one season over a number of folders that might be named the same as the series but with a "." after the title. In some instances I have the name incorrect (the year for example - IMDB year vs TVDB). For two series (BSG and The Sweeney), I have moved the offending files out of the scannable folder. I have checked the naming convention, rejigged as necessary, made sure the nfo is correct and that the nfo is named the same as the first episode. While the files are no longer scannable, I have then run a scan.

On checking, I find that while there is no reference to BSG and The Sweeney in the database when examined with NMJToolbox2, the images still appear in the TV Series wall. When you select them, the come back with an error. If you put the files back into the scanned folder, scan again, even though they are clearly 'scanned' (it pauses on each file), there is no change to the wall. Multiple images representing the multiple folders for each season/series appear and when a season is selected the same error is returned. At this pont NMJ Manajer recognises that there has been a stuff up and will only give you an option to re-scan when it is run.

So, when you move or delete a file, scanning is not reliably cleaning up, therefore causing grief when you want to reinstitute the file.

I now have to re-scan for the 6th time in 14 days. At least BSG and The Sweeney should be right then. Just 70 more series to go.

Regards,

Allan
01-08-2012, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 03:40 AM by bigkid.)
After another re-scan (now the 8th in 14 days), renamed some TV Series (again to improve hit rate) and moved a couple of files into and out of scannable folders, I then did an update scan on those folder affected, I am now getting the "An error has ocured, your request cannot be processed" error when I attempt to run NMJ. The database opens fine in NMJToolbox, but not on the NMT.

C'mon popcornhour, anybody there with an interest in resolving this problem - scanning is a pretty fundamental function and shouldn't futz up NMJ?

Regards,

Allan
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2012 11:19 PM by bigkid.)
After another 12 hour re-scan NMJ opened OK, the movies wall came up reasonably quickly, switch to TV Series and it takes a full minute to display. Switch back to movies and it again appears reasonably quickly, switch back to TV Series and it takes a further minute to load. Reboot and try NMJ again. Same problem. Time to re-scan again. That'll be 9 times in 15 days. Just fab.

Allan
01-09-2012, 04:04 PM
(01-09-2012 11:37 AM)bigkid Wrote:  After another 12 hour re-scan NMJ opened OK, the movies wall came up reasonably quickly, switch to TV Series and it takes a full minute to display. Switch back to movies and it again appears reasonably quickly, switch back to TV Series and it takes a further minute to load. Reboot and try NMJ again. Same problem. Time to re-scan again. That'll be 9 time in 15 days. Just fab.

Allan

You are not alone.....

I tried to add all my MP3's (on a NAS) to the NMJ and everything looked fine: scanning for hours, I saw all MP3's pass by in the progress window, a db was created on the NAS.....but after scanning there was " no content found" ......

I reported this in the "bug section" but I was told it's not a bug....has probably something to do with read/write permissions of the NAS....I was told....

But how is it possible that it scans (read) the NAS and creates a db (write) ??

I have no problems with video on the internal HDD and the external USB-HDD.

*Popcorn Hour A300 with 2TB HDD
*Marantz SR6006
*Panasonic TH-42PX80 PlasmaTV
*Logitech Harmony 785
*Mission speakers*Yamaha subwoofer*
01-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi Ridder.

Same at my end, no problems with read/write permissions - a complete re-scan works fine but for the one above where no content found and slow response in TV Series on another. My main problem is the database failing when moving files out of a scannable foder, scanning (so that the files no longer show up in NMJ), putting them back (usually renamed so that NMJ reads them correctly), and then scanning the folder again. I find that consistently I am then unable to use NMJ - it errors and then sends me off to do a re-scan. The problem cannot be with the NAS.

I'll report this in the bug section and see if I can attract any interest from popcornhour.

Allan.
02-13-2012, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 11:26 AM by bigkid.)
Here we go again. Did an 'update' scan after putting a few new files in the scannable folder. Gee you would think that was a simple job for NMJ, something that should proceed problem free - that is after all a fundamental feature. But wait, surprise, surprise, NMJ now won't run - the usual "An error has ocurred, your request cannot be processed" error. Looks like another 12 hour re-scan and another several hours fixing all the inaccurately registered files using NMJToolbox2.

Why oh why did I get rid of my A-110 ... oh I remember, for the better quality chip. Not worth the hassle.

What an unreliable piece of trash! I am over it.

Allan

Panasonic TH-50PX70A screen, Sony BDP-S5000es Blu-Ray, PCH A300 NMT, Qnap TS-639Pro, Elektra 24/192kHz DAC, Musical Fidelity A5 for mains, Denon AVR-3808 for everything else, Duntech Sapphire Mains, Onyx Centre, Pearl Rears. Sub? Made it myself! Adire Shiva 12in, 54 litre enclosure, Redgum Amp.
02-13-2012, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2012 12:15 PM by Swen.)
(02-13-2012 09:22 AM)bigkid Wrote:  Here we go again. Did an 'update' scan after putting a few new files in the scannable folder. Gee you would think that was a simple job for NMJ, something that should proceed problem free - that is after all a fundamental feature. But wait, surprise, surprise, NMJ now won't run - the usual "An error has ocurred, your request cannot be processed" error. Looks like another 12 hour re-scan and another several hours fixing all the inaccurately registered files using NMJToolbox2.

Why oh why did I get rid of my A-110 ... oh I remember, for the better quality chip. Not worth the hassle.

What an unreliable piece of trash! I am over it.

Allan
I keep a backup of my media.db file for this specific reason. If an update results in a corrupt database, I restore a previous version and run the update again. This works 99% of the time. I don't want to start a rescan either as it usually doesn't produce immediately the good results. Once your database is fairly ok and you keep a backup of your media.db file, it runs quite good.
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Swen. Last time I tried a back-up it failed also. I'll give it another shot. I have a backup including all the folders and images. Would you replace the lot or just the database?

On playing about with NMJ again last night, it seems that once I close the error message, while I can't see or play any movies, I can open up the TV Series Wall and select and play an episode. The variations on the stuff-ups that present in this database never cease to amaze. a

Panasonic TH-50PX70A screen, Sony BDP-S5000es Blu-Ray, PCH A300 NMT, Qnap TS-639Pro, Elektra 24/192kHz DAC, Musical Fidelity A5 for mains, Denon AVR-3808 for everything else, Duntech Sapphire Mains, Onyx Centre, Pearl Rears. Sub? Made it myself! Adire Shiva 12in, 54 litre enclosure, Redgum Amp.
02-13-2012, 10:05 PM
A few pointers that may help you:

When the NMJ scans, it does not update your media.db file, you will find (if you look at your NMJ_DATABASE folder whilst it scans) that it creates a copy of your db called 'media - temp.db'. I believe that this is what it is updating. When a scan is finished it overwrites your media.db with the media-temp.db.

Also there are flags in the DB that tell the NMJ the state the DB is in. EG whether it is scanning, updating, completed successfully etc. It may be one of these flags that is being set and the NMJ thinks it is still halfway through a scan.

The thing with toolbox is a little design assumption/flaw in NMJToolbox. I originally started the application without any real life knowledge of the NMJ2 'qualities'. I assumed that with a TV series there was ALWAYS a series record (all the example DBs I had did have series records). I designed and coded with this assumption.

Now in true NMJ stylee I find that the NMJ does not necessarily create a series record in all cases (in 95% it does). In these cases NMJToolbox will not display the show/seasons/episodes at all.

It is one of my gripes of the NMJ that it is quite inconsistent (it was the same in NMJv1) in numerous areas.

If you have a buggered DB feel free to send it to me and I will have a look to see what I can find that is stopping it loading.

Panasonic TX-P55VT65, Sony BDP-S550, SkyHD, HDMI 4x2 Matrix, Synology 1511+ with DX510 25TB NAS, Denon AVR-X2000 receiver, Kef Q Series speakers QED cables.
C200, A300, A400 x 2
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [NMJ v2] NMJ2 vs YAMJ mgrobins 4 1,305 07-22-2013 01:22 PM
Last Post: mgrobins
  [NMJ v2] New NMJ2 after may update reads all TV episodes from a season in a row Ludie 6 1,150 06-01-2013 03:06 PM
Last Post: Ludie
  [NMJ v2] NMJ(1) --> NMJ2 ? hel400 2 905 03-12-2013 12:33 AM
Last Post: jcfay
  [NMJ v2] 14 button presses to update NMJ2 !? divine 10 1,452 01-13-2013 11:56 PM
Last Post: Rom
  [NMJ v2] Multiple update to NMJ2 database dbell73 0 917 02-07-2012 10:16 PM
Last Post: dbell73
  [NMJ v1] How to upgrade to NMJ2? tiwas 4 2,104 01-11-2012 01:06 AM
Last Post: lockuplever
  [NMJ v2] How to make NMJ2 start automatically? sadcaper 7 3,472 12-28-2011 06:14 PM
Last Post: szaabi
  [NMJ v2] NMJ2 on A300 alexflibero 1 1,494 12-03-2011 12:24 PM
Last Post: MalcomX